The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Made $6,900 Importing From China and Reselling on eBay.

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
I heard about this, that it is a great opportunity. There is a course "Amazing Selling Machine", it is about this. Buying from alibaba and selling on Amazon. I want to try out this too.

I have a few questions:
- Where do yo store the products? (Amazon has the option to even store your products, you dont even have to see what are you selling)
- What was you initial investment? How products did you buy, how much did you spend on them?

And to contribute a little to this thread feel free to visit the link below to spot the best products to sell on Amazon:
http://profitspotlight.com/ (Opt-In required but it gives you instant acces)

And, in order to store your products on Amazon while you are selling, read here:
http://services.amazon.com/fulfillment-by-amazon/benefits.htm?ld=NSGoogleAS
For UK and EU: http://services.amazon.co.uk/services/fulfilment-by-amazon/how-it-works.html
In regards to your questions, I stored my product in my bedroom
My initial investment was 50 USD. I had no idea what I was doing at the time because I was a new start-up. But now looking back, my 150USD investment on a product got my importing income going! The products ranged and the price differed, I did not only sell one product, i sold heaps. Usually for a product test, I would buy a few and if they worked (profitable) I would buy 10 more, then 50, then 100. I liked buying in smaller increments then buying a lot (bulk at the start) because I felt safer.
Aa, ok, I understand. I dont want to claim that this in the best because I don't know, so it really depends on you. Maybe you can find even more sources and then decide which is your product.

I think that good products are smartphone cases, I know that there are A LOT, but if you can find another kind of case which you can't find on Amazon/eBay, I think you can easily sell.
I disagree, products like that are over saturated (Too many suppliers and not enough buyers). I could maybe agree with you on finding cases that are not found on amazon/ebay, but how would you know if they would sell?
did you have any sells before starting or did u start selling without any "reviews" on ebay?
No in actual fact I started with 0 sales and 0 reviews :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

And you got sales directly?

Last edited:

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
And you got sales directly?
Correct, my process of finding "perfect products" helped me with this. Mainly due to the fact that I knew the products would sell (looking at the sell through ratio via terapeak).
I heard about this, that it is a great opportunity. There is a course "Amazing Selling Machine", it is about this. Buying from alibaba and selling on Amazon. I want to try out this too.

I have a few questions:
- Where do yo store the products? (Amazon has the option to even store your products, you dont even have to see what are you selling)
- What was you initial investment? How products did you buy, how much did you spend on them?

And to contribute a little to this thread feel free to visit the link below to spot the best products to sell on Amazon:

And, in order to store your products on Amazon while you are selling, read here:
For UK and EU: http://services.amazon.co.uk/services/fulfilment-by-amazon/how-it-works.html
In regards to your questions, I stored my product in my bedroom
My initial investment was 50 USD. I had no idea what I was doing at the time because I was a new start-up. But now looking back, my 150USD investment on a product got my importing income going! The products ranged and the price differed, I did not only sell one product, i sold heaps. Usually for a product test, I would buy a few and if they worked (profitable) I would buy 10 more, then 50, then 100. I liked buying in smaller increments then buying a lot (bulk at the start) because I felt safer.
Aa, ok, I understand. I dont want to claim that this in the best because I don't know, so it really depends on you. Maybe you can find even more sources and then decide which is your product.

I think that good products are smartphone cases, I know that there are A LOT, but if you can find another kind of case which you can't find on Amazon/eBay, I think you can easily sell.
I disagree, products like that are over saturated (Too many suppliers and not enough buyers). I could maybe agree with you on finding cases that are not found on amazon/ebay, but how would you know if they would sell?
did you have any sells before starting or did u start selling without any "reviews" on ebay?
No in actual fact I started with 0 sales and 0 reviews :)

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Just to add for the persons replying with interest in this thread, all I ever see on this topic are suppliers overseas. SERIOUSLY, there are dozens, if not hundreds of warehouse distributors and suppliers in your own town/city. Google them, give them a call, walk in, ask for a product list. We seem to have forgotten how effective traditional business will always be, even in this modern age of technology.

You can get product lists from local suppliers, set up a website, and promote the hell out of it. Work directly with suppliers, and this face to face system might also get you a margin account as a start up business, which will help you ALOT!.

Perhaps i will also start a thread on this soon, to keep peoples heads out of the "outsourcing cloud".

Don't you need licenses and permits in order to get in contact with local suppliers? I believe for importing overseas, you don't need anything to start which is more of a popular option to many for the time being.

Last edited:

Zingy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for the AMA @Tehcasa. How do you price your products? Through auction or fixed price? And if it is fixed price do you base it off of average selling price + average shipping on Terapeak?

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for the AMA @Tehcasa. How do you price your products? Through auction or fixed price? And if it is fixed price do you base it off of average selling price + average shipping on Terapeak?

Hi John. I always priced my products through the fixed cost method. From this, you can tell what your exact profit margin is, that
do you use the free terapeak or do you pay for it?
I don't think there is a free terapeak? But I do know that there is a free 7 day trial when you first sign up. But when the trial ended, I purchased a years subscription. It wasn't too expensive

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I want to disagree on OP's disagreement on phone cases.
Smart phone cases, specifically for the Galaxy S5, were the second set of items I sold on my eBay store. I started with a batch of 5, and they sold in less than a week. I then ordered 25 from a bad supplier and ended up selling all of them within three weeks, but about 7 of them ended up being returned or refunded. Once those all sold, I ordered a batch of 24 from another supplier (same style cases) and he gave me free DHL shipping at a better price. I sold all 24 in two weeks, with one return.

Mind you the price per case from Aliexpress was about $2 and I sold them each for $18-$23. I made a good profit and was able to compete with other sellers selling the same type of case.

I do want to add though, that I noticed a major increase in sales when I started offering better shipping than the other sellers. It may also help that I was selling phone cases that were branded (but I admit, not authentic).

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Thanks for starting the thread.

What was your process for finding reputable suppliers?
Do you order in bulk and store the products yourself, package, and deliver all by hand?
What's your process for finding a product to sell?
How does the selling on ebay part work out for you. I used to do that a bit here and there and made a few hundred dollars when I was 17, I always felt that ebay was difficult to sell on though due to the influx of items constantly being listed.. I remember paying a dollar here and there to constantly relist shit.. and having some inventory never sell. How does that play out for you?

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for starting the thread.

What was your process for finding reputable suppliers?
Do you order in bulk and store the products yourself, package, and deliver all by hand?
What's your process for finding a product to sell?
How does the selling on ebay part work out for you. I used to do that a bit here and there and made a few hundred dollars when I was 17, I always felt that ebay was difficult to sell on though due to the influx of items constantly being listed.. I remember paying a dollar here and there to constantly relist shit.. and having some inventory never sell. How does that play out for you?

I've been asked the question regarding "the process for finding reputable suppliers" a lot, so here is a small summary of what you should know.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

ALIBABA'S DIFFERENT CLARIFICATIONS:

GOLD SUPPLIER:
Is a company who pays for a yearly membership to host their store on Alibaba. This also allows the supplier/company to have premium benefits. The number one rule is to ALWAYS this button as it ensures that you are buying from a verified supplier. Also, the number on gold symbol represents how long the company has been on Alibaba. The longer the better your chances are of finding a verified supplier.

ONSITE CHECK:
I
nforms you that the supplier’s company premise has been checked by Alibaba.com staff to verify onsite operations exist there. Again, this box should ALWAYS be selected before you search for a product.

ASSESSED SUPPLIER:

This highlights that the supplier has been assessed by Alibaba’s third party inspection companies. This Feature is another way to certify that your supplier is verified.

ESCROW SERVICE:
Is a safe payment method to use when purchasing goods on Alibaba. The service will hold your payment until the order has been processed. The payment will be released to the supplier upon your confirmation. Although this feature seems important to select, I highly recommend that you only use PayPal to purchase your goods on Alibaba seemingly because it’s one of the safest ways to transfer money without having to share financial details.

E-CREDIT LINE:
Paying a supplier through credit. I highly discourage this because you may have to give out your financial details to a supplier. Entirely, I wouldn’t bother selecting this button when you are searching for your specific product.

ONLINE:
This means that the supplier/company has sales representatives in real time ready to chat with you about the product you want to purchase. Another note to add is to buy ONLY from suppliers who are ALWAYS online. You always want “on the spot clarification” when you are researching your products. It is inevitable at sometime that most suppliers on Alibaba will be offline. This is due to the different time zones between your country and China

RESPONSIVE RATE:
Informs you that the sales representatives are active and will respond quickly to your inquiry. The responsive rate of a sales representative should range from 20% to 100%. This figure can be illustrated below. In doing so, you will save a lot of time.

Acceptable responsive rate
Even if a company has a responsive rate over 40% they may use an automatic program to greet you when you open a real-time conversation with them (chat now)

CHINA MAINLAND:
This is another important clarification to note. You ALWAYS want to purchase from China (Mainland) manufacturers. Most other global manufacturers like India increase the chances of scam.

LISTINGS:

Also, another important part to add to your notes is that a company usually has more than one of the same product listings. For example, the above diagram shows two listings which are exactly the same product from the same company. Companies do this for publicity of their product. If they are seen more than once, a viewer may believe that they exclusively provide that product to consumers.

FOB PRICE:

Simply means Free on Board or Freight on Board. FOB idolizes which party (buyer or seller) pays for shipment and loading costs, and/or where responsibility for the goods is transferred.

MINIMUM ORDER QUANTITY:

This is how many units of the product you will have to buy in one order. The above supplier has an MOQ of 1000 Piece/Pieces. Never buy this amount during the early stages of your importing venture. You will always want to negotiate with your supplier to reduce the MOQ to a smaller quantity.

PAYMENT METHOD:
At first, buying direct from Chinese Suppliers over the internet can be overwhelming. The major concern is money transfer requests. ALWAYS use PayPal when transferring money to a supplier. It is the safest way to pay for goods without sharing financial details. Ideally, a Alibaba company will have it stated if or not they accept their payment through PayPal.

USE ALIBABA'S TRADE MANAGER!!! search it on google
The trade manager will be used significantly throughout your importing stages. It is the lifeline of connecting you with a supplier in a real time conversation

To start conversations with the supplier click “chat now”. Your Alibaba trade manager will load
up and a real time chat with a sales representative will appear.

Chinese sales representatives don’t like buyers who are mean and disrespectful and so you should always behave in a respectful manner while talking to them.

Getting on the good side of a sales representative will be as simple as this:
-Talk about your life in general. For example, your lifestyle in Australia.
-Ask why “China is a good destination to travel”.
-Have manners. For example, thank you for your time, I appreciate your service or you’re the best.

Most suppliers will be able to understand and write in English, but you will find out that some won’t. Don’t deal with these sorts of suppliers because communication is GOLDEN in finding the right product.

The main goal to have a long term relationship with a supplier is to maintain trust. I encourage you all to set up a Skype account and to ask the supplier to talk to you through there instead of the trade manager. Skype’s interface is much more user base friendly and it’s easier to track your messages after a long period of time.

--

I always tested my products first by buying a few samples to see how they could sell. From this I determined if they were good to buy in bulk. If yes, I would purchase around 20 and from there I would buy a much larger quantity. The product would come straight to my door via the courier agency that was assigned to me. I would list the product myself on eBay and as soon as someone purchased one of my products I would go to the post office myself and send it off. Not all the time I did this, when I had heaps of products selling I would buy bulk satchel packs instead of going to the post office and send the products off to the nearest post box (which was 100% faster and more efficient).

How I find products to sell? Well, if you go to the first page of this post, you will see my response already answering this question. It is just a small summary of how I would go about finding products to sell.

As for the eBay part, It is quite ok. eBay now offers I think its still (occurring) 80 free listings every month? I'm not 100% sure on that. But that helped me a lot. Not much extra costs except for the tax of each product I sold. And influx? This will depend on the product you buy. Not all products are heavily listed on eBay. When you see my old response on this posting on "finding profitable products to sell" you will see that the products I found were new and trendy. Products that are not over-saturated!

Hope this helps. pm if you want to join my skype group full of new start-up importers.

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
Just to add for the persons replying with interest in this thread, all I ever see on this topic are suppliers overseas. SERIOUSLY, there are dozens, if not hundreds of warehouse distributors and suppliers in your own town/city. Google them, give them a call, walk in, ask for a product list. We seem to have forgotten how effective traditional business will always be, even in this modern age of technology.

You can get product lists from local suppliers, set up a website, and promote the hell out of it. Work directly with suppliers, and this face to face system might also get you a margin account as a start up business, which will help you ALOT!.

Perhaps i will also start a thread on this soon, to keep peoples heads out of the "outsourcing cloud".
true haha :)

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hi @Tehcasa, thanks for the AMA. This thread has very valuable information and I wanna give this a try. I had a couple questions after reading the thread, hope you can help with this:

Regarding your comment saying you bought a few at a time and then increased quantity as you saw each product work well, how hard is (or how did you do it) to find manufacturers with such a minimum order quantity? I keep scrolling and going through pages and they all have quite a bit of MOQs. 500 units is the smallest I have seen.

Also do any of the manufacturers on Alibaba (sorry, newbie question) dropship? If they do, how does one recognize them (or just need to ask?)?

Thanks in advance :)

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Hi @Tehcasa, thanks for the AMA. This thread has very valuable information and I wanna give this a try. I had a couple questions after reading the thread, hope you can help with this:

Regarding your comment saying you bought a few at a time and then increased quantity as you saw each product work well, how hard is (or how did you do it) to find manufacturers with such a minimum order quantity? I keep scrolling and going through pages and they all have quite a bit of MOQs. 500 units is the smallest I have seen.

Also do any of the manufacturers on Alibaba (sorry, newbie question) dropship? If they do, how does one recognize them (or just need to ask?)?

You can always talk to the manufacturers regarding MOQ. Just tell them you're doing a sampling and that you need 50 units or so. If they are hesistant to let you order a very low quantity for samples, usually they're trading companies that must meet a MOQ themselves.

With regards to dropshipping, it won't make sense for you to go via that route from China. Shipping for 1 unit is usually much more than the product cost. Otherwise, those that do drop ship with free shipping use China Post which takes 20+ days to reach North America.

Cookie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 12, 2015
Hello and thank you for opening this thread.
I have a question regarding a given product found on alibaba :
It has a brand name, but on amazon it's this same brand which is selling it's own product already. Can I buy and resell this same product on Amazon? (at a cheaper price)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

I have a few questions:

I found this post as a result of checking out recent posts on this part of the forum.

I can't understand how people can pay $5,000 for a course that supposedly teaches how to import, (as well as how to sell on Amazon,) but provides no helpful advice on how to source and how to import.

All they teach on the subject is: "Go to Alibaba to find products to buy." Today I dealt with an inquiry from a person who has ordered 50,000 items in his first order and had not the slightest idea what is involved in shipping them from the supplier to his delivery address.

That is the kind of result I so often see when people claiming to be experts give such off-the-cuff advice after charging a huge amount for their wisdom.

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013

Hi BellaPippin.

In order to find suppliers who provide samples (little MOQ), the process was simply asking the supplier through a real time chat conversation (which is located on each sales page on Alibaba under "Chat Now". I always try and sound professional when communicating with any supplier. As always, a supplier can feel virtually uncomfortable when dealing with anyone online. This is because suppliers not only deal with real buyers (like myself and you), but competitors, scammers, spammers, etc. Additionally, when you scroll through pages and see most have high MOQ's, that is not always the case, you can always persuade, ask them yourself if they can provide less. But I reinforce, sounding REAL, AUTHENTIC, PROFESSIONAL will definitely make your time importing worthwhile.

Some manufactures on Alibaba drop ship. It's the matter of becoming friends with them first. Maybe import a few goods, become friends before getting into drop shopping. You could also try Ali-express for drop shopping as (Shipping is free). And yes, you can't really recgonise them unless they state on their product listing they do, alternatively you just ask.

Regards, Pat

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013

Hi BellaPippin.

In order to find suppliers who provide samples (little MOQ), the process was simply asking the supplier through a real time chat conversation (which is located on each sales page on Alibaba under "Chat Now". I always try and sound professional when communicating with any supplier. As always, a supplier can feel virtually uncomfortable when dealing with anyone online. This is because suppliers not only deal with real buyers (like myself and you), but competitors, scammers, spammers, etc. Additionally, when you scroll through pages and see most have high MOQ's, that is not always the case, you can always persuade, ask them yourself if they can provide less. But I reinforce, sounding REAL, AUTHENTIC, PROFESSIONAL will definitely make your time importing worthwhile.

Some manufactures on Alibaba drop ship. It's the matter of becoming friends with them first. Maybe import a few goods, become friends before getting into drop shopping. You could also try Ali-express for drop shopping as (Shipping is free). And yes, you can't really recgonise them unless they state on their product listing they do, alternatively you just ask.

Regards, Pat

Tehcasa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 29, 2013
Hello and thank you for opening this thread.
I have a question regarding a given product found on alibaba :
It has a brand name, but on amazon it's this same brand which is selling it's own product already. Can I buy and resell this same product on Amazon? (at a cheaper price)

Of course you can, maybe do ODM, change the brand name via the Chinese supplier, but before you do, you should test the product by purchasing a sample to see if the product is reputable.

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
I found this post as a result of checking out recent posts on this part of the forum.

I can't understand how people can pay $5,000 for a course that supposedly teaches how to import, (as well as how to sell on Amazon,) but provides no helpful advice on how to source and how to import.

All they teach on the subject is: "Go to Alibaba to find products to buy." Today I dealt with an inquiry from a person who has ordered 50,000 items in his first order and had not the slightest idea what is involved in shipping them from the supplier to his delivery address.

That is the kind of result I so often see when people claiming to be experts give such off-the-cuff advice after charging a huge amount for their wisdom.

...maybe cos there's more moola in the teaching:woot:

Why do these Guroooo's who claim to make guzillions on amazon sell 5K programs...then up-sell ya to more expensive programs, well emm...maybe, just maybe cos they are the real fastlaners?:embarrased:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
...maybe cos there's more moola in the teaching:woot:

Why do these Guroooo's who claim to make guzillions on amazon sell 5K programs...then up-sell ya to more expensive programs, well emm...maybe, just maybe cos they are the real fastlaners?:embarrased:
I have read the "success story" written by one such guru, written when he was only getting started in trying to sell an eBook about how to make a fortune by importing and then selling on eBay. (He now favors Amazon). The risky methods he used were so amateurish that I felt sorry for anyone who paid the few dollars he charged for his book, which itself was amateurishly written and full of fluff.

Since then he has partnered with an Internet Marketing expert who is much sharper, and the pair have been selling a course for big bucks based on his original story, but now slickly written and even more slickly presented.

It is that slick presentation that sucks in the punters. The high price proves that it must be a good program - right?

So why do they make those claims? Could be because they know that "there's one born every day."

Please note that I am not identifying any person or course. I am generalizing, because the practice is widespread. I have written about one individual who may have no connection with any course currently being offered.

hardin.derek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 23, 2015
How does one create their own brand/privately label with products that they import from Alibaba? Is it as simple as asking if the supplier is able to slap your logo on the product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
How does one create their own brand/privately label with products that they import from Alibaba? Is it as simple as asking if the supplier is able to slap your logo on the product?

Yes, it is that simple.

However, how much value are really adding by doing that? I just got off the phone with @LightHouse and we were talking about this.

So many people looking to sell on Amazon (and off of Amazon) merely import something from Alibaba, get their logo stitched on it, and throw it on Amazon.

There's an Amazon / importing gold rush happening right now.

Most of the guys making the best money are supplying shovels and pans for that gold rush. Look at all of the Amazon software out there.

Yah, that's easy. It's still a lot of work - but how much value are you REALLY adding?

Yes, you can make some money (and in some cases, a LOT of money).

But in the end, you are doing what everyone else is doing - the easy thing. The stay at home mom who makes $2000 from importing from China and selling Amazon.

If you don't add any real value to your branding or product, how long do you expect to last?

If it's easy, don't expect to make a lot of money.

Maybe you can make some money in the short run, but you will be driven out of the market if you don't have large competitive advantage.

hardin.derek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, it is that simple.

However, how much value are really adding by doing that? I just got off the phone with @LightHouse and we were talking about this.

So many people looking to sell on Amazon (and off of Amazon) merely import something from Alibaba, get their logo stitched on it, and throw it on Amazon.

There's an Amazon / importing gold rush happening right now.

Most of the guys making the best money are supplying shovels and pans for that gold rush. Look at all of the Amazon software out there.

Yah, that's easy. It's still a lot of work - but how much value are you REALLY adding?

Yes, you can make some money (and in some cases, a LOT of money).

But in the end, you are doing what everyone else is doing - the easy thing. The stay at home mom who makes $2000 from importing from China and selling Amazon.

If you don't add any real value to your branding or product, how long do you expect to last?

Maybe you can make some money in the short run, but you will be driven out of the market if you don't have large competitive advantage.

What would you do in the instance that your product is so small and simple that there really isn't a lot of room to play with in terms of adding your own value to it?

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
What would you do in the instance that your product is so small and simple that there really isn't a lot of room to play with in terms of adding your own value to it?

Some ideas:
  • make it with a better material
  • package it in a premium box
  • make it part of a bigger kit
  • make it in a range of different colors or designs to give people options
  • make a new product based on it
  • make it bigger
  • make it smaller
  • make it lighter
  • make it heavier
  • make it transparent/see through
  • build a brand based around it through a website, social media, influencers
  • add an instruction booklet with comical step-by-steps and ideas on creative uses
  • price it really high
  • price it really low

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA

Absolutely no doubt.

So many online businesses are appealing and fairly cheap/easy to start, but upon closer inspection I keep seeing this same theme going on. Race to the bottom of the price barrel because no USP and no value add.

BTW just curious @JasonR: approx what % of your business is through amazon? I assumed you were primarily through your own site but I know the landscape changes quickly.

VegasMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 8, 2015
Milwaukee, WI

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Before you get

Before you get into all the things @JonnyC posted (which is a great start)... Question why you are selling something that sounds like a commodity in the first place? If it's something small and simple that didn't have room to change, then what are you trying to do? It sounds like that issue is solved if the current offer works well.

mikeobi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 4, 2015
California
Wow you guys are right on value. E-commerce really is like the gold rush and if you you're just doing the simple importing OEM products and selling them on e-commerce platforms right out of the package for too long, some day you might get bodied out of the market or deal with heavy saturation. Really something I need to consider.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.