The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lower your food costs to $1 per day?

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
I believe the best investment you can invest in is only yourself, if you believe eating more expensive/quality foods will make you work harder and feel satisfied then why not. Eating on $1 a day is a joke to me.

A have a friend who owns a very successful business, generating plenty of income. AND NO he doesn't blow his away money on clothes, cars or other luxuries. Instead he takes his family out every week to nice restaurants.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I think it's a personal choice. I derive a lot of enjoyment out of food, but not as much as I I would from other things. $10,000 in fine dining would not bring me as much pleasure as $10,000 of real estate equity or a $10,000 vacation.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Man I drank your months food budget last night in Scotch!:smx6:

IMHO a more realistic goal so you can still have a good quality of life, is to average $10 a day. That way you can eat lunch out once or twice a week.

My usual lunch is a sandwich, chips, and a water. Which is about $7-$10 depending on the deli I go to.

I rather cut elsewhere, like cell phone, cable TV etc.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
^Hey, I'm just trying it for a month. Living on $365/year is WAY below the poverty line, and probably not sustainable (for me).

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Thanks to all for an interesting read. It has me thinking about all things wasteful in my life. Alot. I don't even know what I spend feeding my family of five. I can look around and see most of us eat too much....

I (we) have been guilty of living the typical over the top, over indulgent American lifestyle of the last 7-8 years. Things have to change and this thread has helped me to start looking and thinking in that direction.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Tomorrow is the official start date. Follow the drama here. Just grocery shopping for this challenge was so enlightening. I'm already seeing another book coming of this.

Skyler, good luck with the project.

I am following your blog now. I'll be paying attention.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I feel normal today -- full, energetic. I'm a little nervous about the fact that I only got 1,000 calories today, especially since I also worked out. I will need to pay attention to getting more calories more cheaply if I want to maintain my activity level and weight.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I feel normal today -- full, energetic. I'm a little nervous about the fact that I only got 1,000 calories today, especially since I also worked out. I will need to pay attention to getting more calories more cheaply if I want to maintain my activity level and weight.

I don't really understand the need to only spend $1 a day on food. Maybe if you are on a diet or trying to slim down, but the dollar amount to me has no bearing on the quality of food that you eat. It would be more impressive to make your goal 1000 calories a day for 30 days than to just spend $1.

BTW, my trainer said I only take in about 1100 calories a day and I need to eat more, but most of my calories are lean proteins. I haven't added up the costs but it's not much, probably $4 a day (if I dont eat out for lunch) is my norm. With a restaurant lunch $12/day.

Examples:

typical breakfast - 4 hard boiled egg whites, 1 apple, 1 banana, 8 pistachios (about $1)
typical dinner - 4oz chicken breast, 1 fruit (about $1.50)

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I don't really understand the need to only spend $1 a day on food. Maybe if you are on a diet or trying to slim down...

No, I don't really want to slim down any more. I look good! It's more about a personal growth experiment. I have always been able to eat whatever the hell I want. I think I should learn a little something about another perspective.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I quit on Day 10. Week One felt fine, but I have lost four pounds in the last 48 hours. This diet is not safe. Still, I learned a lot. Click here to see my final post (with before and after pictures).

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Well I do have to say hats off to you for even trying, which is more than what most people I think that have the luxury of spending what you spend on food on a regular basis would do.

Though, I do think you could have kept going and not risk anything too adverse. So long as you kept hydrating yourself, rice and beans will make you live for a very long time. Though I'm no doctor, I'm not sure if losing 4 pounds in 2 days is entirely abnormal considering you're used to going out all the time, stopped that, and then abruptly switched to a mega low calorie diet. I'm sure that eating out, you're used to taking in a ton of calories every day. Losing weight is what happens when you all of a sudden burn more calories than you take in :smug2:

I don't know, I've just heard of other people losing more weight in that same amount of time.

Still, you've done better than I ever could have done.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
^ Thanks for the thoughtful response. Since I am already at the bottom of the healthy BMI range, every pound counts. "Safe" weight loss for me is 1 pound per week. That term is relative, because I probably won't die. But I didn't want to start digesting my own muscles.

I think I see another book in this experience, though...

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
You should have shoot a deer or some other game animals. I don't know whats around in winter where you live. You probably could have ice fished and eaten some trout.

Kill a deer and you get a lot of meat, and bullits are cheap. A $.50 bullit can get you enough meat for a month.

This way you could have still eaten good food.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
So having a coat of arms makes you a snob, thats nice.

Whoever wrote that website doesn't understand any part of the meaning of the word "gentleman". Hippie smoked to much pot.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
So having a coat of arms makes you a snob, thats nice.

Whoever wrote that website doesn't understand any part of the meaning of the word "gentleman". Hippie smoked to much pot.
LOL! Well, I made that website. I guess I'm not a gentleman by your standards, although I do have a coat of arms. But I don't smoke pot.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Sorry I said anything, I don't want to get into it, I'm out.

Oski

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I saw a video of this a while back...

I thought it was crazy, but I applaude the people who were able to do this.

I don't think that any human being should have to live like this permanently though, but unfortunately some do.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Even though you did find that you cannot live off from 1 dollar a day, what has this experiment taught you and what are you going to do to change the way you eat from this day on?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
You should have shoot a deer or some other game animals. I don't know whats around in winter where you live. You probably could have ice fished and eaten some trout.

Kill a deer and you get a lot of meat, and bullits are cheap. A $.50 bullit can get you enough meat for a month.

This way you could have still eaten good food.

I thought about this as a cheap source of food before, but once you pay for the hunting gear, and getting out to the woods and the permit, and paying the butcher to cut and package the meat for you, etc -- You might as well have just gone to the grocery store and bought some steaks.

My neighborhood is overrun with rabbits right now though... Hmmm, rabbit stew anyone?

- Hakrjak

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Well most people do it for the sport, and to have good food.

But I do know poor people with big family's where hunting is an important part of their food budget. All you need is a rifle, which most people already have, they also butcher it themselves.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Sorry I said anything
No biggie. Just pointing out that hunting isn't an option for everyone.
I don't think that any human being should have to live like this permanently though, but unfortunately some do.
YES! I learned so much about poverty -- not just through experience, but through my research during the project. I've seen those starving African kids on TV a thousand times, but it didn't feel real.
Even though you did find that you cannot live off from 1 dollar a day, what has this experiment taught you and what are you going to do to change the way you eat from this day on?
I am still assimilating my conclusions, but thank you for asking. The basic ones I cite on my blog are

1. $1.00 is not enough money to buy a nutritious daily volume of food for my body-type.
  2. It could buy enough calories (in sugar) or enough vitamins and minerals (in a supplement), but not both.
  3. My personal experience indicates that I can survive approximately one week on 1,046 daily calories without adverse health side-effects. It is unclear whether that threshold is physical, mental, or emotional.
  4. In my opinion, the current domestic agricultural system is inadequate to ensure nutritious food to Americans in poverty.
It seems there are two important genres of lessons to be learned: microeconomic (how food/money interact in my life) and macroeconomic (how they interact on national and global scales.)

Microeconomically, I am changing the way I look at food. Needs, wants, luxuries... Reprioritizing my spending.

Macroeconomically, I wonder what I can do locally or politically to bring affordable, nutritious food to everyone. Isn't health a civil right? I hold that truth to be self-evident.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Well most people do it for the sport, and to have good food.

But I do know poor people with big family's where hunting is an important part of their food budget. All you need is a rifle, which most people already have, they also butcher it themselves.

Well you also need a Deer or Elk tag, which can vary in price depending on where you are. Warm clothes, and snacks to eat while you're on the hunt can also be a requirement, and if you plan to be out there awhile -- most Elk hunters here in Colorado camp out for a full week or so before they can bag one. I looked into it at depth, but then gave up the idea -- the sport doesn't matter to me, I was just thinking about a source of cheap meat.

- Hakrjak

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
See for me its all sport, I don't eat what I catch/shoot. I go with people who want it, so I don't have to butcher/deal with it. With fishing I'm mostly catch and release.

Hunting for me is cheap, because I have the rifle,(collect vintage rifle's) and I have the cloth's since I spend a lot of time out doors. Fishing is very, very expensive...but I can't think of a better way to spend a day.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I forgot what movie this was in. But it was a future show where civilization ended and they said that all they've eaten in the last 6 months were gophers.

It's funny that right now we hate fast multiplying animals, rats, gophers, rabbits, etc... But if everything went to hell, we would need any animal that multiplies fast!!! You'd be so lucky to have 1000 gophers on your property.

Hatters - do you need a ghillie suit??? ;)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I forgot what movie this was in. But it was a future show where civilization ended and they said that all they've eaten in the last 6 months were gophers.

It's funny that right now we hate fast multiplying animals, rats, gophers, rabbits, etc... But if everything went to hell, we would need any animal that multiplies fast!!! You'd be so lucky to have 1000 gophers on your property.

I've tried a lot of wild animals.

Muskrat
Squirrel
Rabbit
Groundhog (got it with a 2X4)
Pheasant
Possum
Raccoon

None of them are great, but all of them are good.

When my son spent some time in Peru, one of the local favorites was Guinea Pig.
People raised them in mud houses (where they lived).
The houses were dug down about a foot into the ground, so the Guinea Pigs couldn't climb out.

One man's pet is another man's main course.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
went today to the angelfood ministry location. I ordered the January menu for 30.00 and the bacon wrapped menu for another 21.00. Pick up is the 24th so I won't know what kind of deal it is till then. It could very well become my main course shopping for the month.

We spend 3-4 weeks during the summer at the gulf coast of Texas fishing. It is very expensive to fish. We probably average about 12.00 a pound in the fish we bring home by the time you buy new line, hooks, weights, and bait. The fact that we are on the water just enjoying every moment is priceless though.

I went Dove hunting last year. Also expensive by the time you pay for the lease, ammo, transportation to and from, and a couple of cases of beer for the weekend. Chicken fried dove breast is excellent and well worth it.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have set a $720 budget for the year. I started January 1st. I took 2 weeks over Christmas and did a total coupon/rebate immersion program from different blogs on the web. I'm going to start blogging about it tonight, when I get some entries in and get how much I have spent vs how much I have saved I'll post a link just in case anybody wants to follow along. That budget is for 3 people and a dog in Orange County CA at the beach..it includes all food, cleaning supplies, dog food, health/ beauty and paper goods. I don't think I'll have too much trouble but I'm still in the learning curve with the coupon/giftcard/rebate thing.

Sue

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

Yeah, thats right. Rabbit isn't bad. I have to say the strangest I have had was Zebra and crocodile. Crocodile actualy does taste like chicken! Its not bad at all. Zebra sucked, like most game animals IMHO. Even wild turkey's are tough.

Nah I don't need a ghillie suit, I like bright orange so the nut jobs don't shoot me.:coco:

I don't paintball anymore, but modern American digi-cam is pretty damn good. The Russian and German stuff isn't bad either. One of the guys I went to school with did some WW2 reinacting and had some pretty good German camo from the SS tankers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.