The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Low Conversion Rate - Help?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I started a online store supplying performance parts for classic BMWs. It's been great to date, over 100 sales and good traffic. Unfortunately, my conversion rate is 0.75%. Keen to improve this.

Would love some reviews on my site. I've just upgraded the product pages to provide more information.

www.bavarianspeed.com.au

Thanks everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
What conversion rate are you expecting? Where are people coming from? Ads, google searches, flyers at a garage, etc?

Something I think I've seen on other car sites is a wizard:

Choose car > Choose category of parts > view parts

Or something similar, helps people find what they want very quickly.

This blog post: Can't Find What Your After?

Maybe some abbreviated version should be at the bottom of the home page?

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
What conversion rate are you expecting? Where are people coming from? Ads, google searches, flyers at a garage, etc?

Something I think I've seen on other car sites is a wizard:

Choose car > Choose category of parts > view parts

Or something similar, helps people find what they want very quickly.

This blog post: Can't Find What Your After?

Maybe some abbreviated version should be at the bottom of the home page?
Thankyou.

To be honest, I am going off Shopify's suggest conversion rate for my 'industry' of 1.34%. Although, my business model is quite niche so I was hoping to hit 1.00%.

I will look at that link.

At the moment, my stock count is down as I need to fulfill more orders to have the funds to proceed with our next shipment to restock.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
I agree with @SamRussell , most parts sites have the ability to sort by vehicle.

If I am not 100% sure a part is meant for my car then I am not going to order it.

I think that would help you a lot

steve schweitzer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Oct 18, 2015
alma, arkansas
Hello, I am in the vintage auto restoration business and buy parts all the time. I deal with reproduction and performance parts websites daily, although for american musclecars, not BMW.

I also was in the vintage parts business and sold online for over 10 years so I have some insight into this business.

First and foremost you need to have a menu to sort by different makes, years and models as others have stated. Without this you site looks WAY OLD and outdated.

Second, you have basically nothing there to sell. Under reproduction parts you have 3 listed and one is out of stock? The performance parts have some listings but not even in the close to the amount needed to make this site viable and nothing really special. Everything you have can be gotten from your competition (with better sites and more inventory).

The companies I deal with and order from have THOUSANDS of different parts available not a couple hundred, if that, like your store.

Here are a couple websites to the reproduction parts sites I deal with on a regular basis so you can compare.

www.megapartsusa.com www.vansauto.com

Good luck and I think if you had a LOT more inventory and a little better site you would see a huge increase in conversion rates.

Also have you linked your store to any of the vintage BMW websites? This will help drive targeted traffic

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Put a chat on your site that greets people as they land on the page. Use a salesperson (you?) to close some of these deals.

Side benefit, you'll learn more about what people want/need when coming to your site if you talk to them...

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
First off, congrats on starting a store!

For context - I'm a marketer and web developer, but also a car guy, and friend with a few mechanics.

Hope this helps:)

1) Main menu colours. Contrast between background and text is insufficient. That makes it hard to read, or see icons. Add to this that due to type of work your prospects' phones may be scratched and dirty, and laptop screens dusty.

The rest of the website has very bright colours, which further "fades" the menu.

Suggestion - try to either:

a) Change colour of menu text and icons to something brighter. I'd try #ffffff.
b) Or instead - change menu background to grey.

2) Slideshow.
It's distracting. And not practical for the purpose of picking product type.
Some better ways would be through dropdown, search box or - something you already did,
clickable images with headlines.

Suggestion:

Lose the slideshow. If you feel it would make the website look empty, maybe you can
replace it with a single image? I like the one where the car has your sticker on it.

3) Search. As others mentioned already, you want to make it easy to browse your products,
by different criteria that might be of interest to your customers.

Including anything that help make sure they got the right part.

Nobody wants to get a wrong car part which is "almost the right one". Refund is least of the problems.
What sucks is having a car on the lift, that they can't work on, and can't work on other cars either.

So then they just sit there, wasting time and money, and mentioning the vendor with select words:)

But, be the store that's reliable and knowledgeable of their needs, and you may have customers for years,
and great word-of-mouth marketing.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Put a chat on your site that greets people as they land on the page. Use a salesperson (you?) to close some of these deals.

Side benefit, you'll learn more about what people want/need when coming to your site if you talk to them...

+1.

@johnp has one such widget, which I think can work as a chat, but also has other features.

And...another suggestion on improving conversion rate, apply tweaks one by one, and measure results.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Hi Everyone,

I started a online store supplying performance parts for classic BMWs. It's been great to date, over 100 sales and good traffic. Unfortunately, my conversion rate is 0.75%. Keen to improve this.

Would love some reviews on my site. I've just upgraded the product pages to provide more information.

www.bavarianspeed.com.au

Thanks everyone!
Hi Roughneck. I own GoGoChimp and we help a lot of clients with conversion rate optimization.

The truth is that it's very difficult to say what the issue is without having access to your data.

There are a few best practices that I feel would improve your conversion rates including social proof and trust.

Focus on both of those and you'll definitely see an improvement in your sales.

Let me know if you would like a link to one of my videos covering this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.