The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for your next idea

Idea threads

dennisgerik

Unemployable?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 24, 2015
Seattle, WA
As I am considering my next project - I am really thinking about what MJ teaches about finding a problem to solve and solve it for a group of people. As I consider what this means, I have been looking for ways to identify and focus upon different groups of people. To this end, I found a few of different ways of identifying large groups of people. Here's a few to get you started - along with a few websites to jump start your brain and get your research flowing.

1) Look for Careers or Professions - people tend to group around different types of tasks or activities. Search for Lists of Top Careers, Careers in Demand, High-Paying Careers, etc.

2) Look for College Majors - people spend a lot of money to get educated in a particular field, specialty, or discipline. Search for College Majors in Demand, Highest Paying College Majors, Hardest College Majors, etc.

3) Look for Professional Certifications - people want to make themselves stand out in the particular careers. So, many will pursue specialized knowledge requiring extra education and demonstration of such knowledge. Search for Professional Certification in <CAREER from #1), Professional Certification Exams, Professional Certification Training, etc.

If you are struggling to find people to learn about, research and speak with - I hope these three ideas will help you as it is helping me.

What other methods of research do you use to identify groups of people to learn from?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A lot of ideas are also found within the operations of existing companies. This creates the value skew.

So you're not fixing "external problems", you're fixing a problem that another company isn't doing well.

XYZ Company exists to solve problem Z. But while they fix problem Z, they are too expensive, too slow, or too inconvenient.

If XYZ sucks at SOLVING Z, do better in that area and you have a good skew.

Any dissatisfaction with an existing company and their offering is an opportunity.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think it’s also helpful to think why a product or service fails. It’s because the actual act of setting up that business within an economic system is a mis-allocation of resources and an inefficiency. It’s incompatible with the macro and micro forces constantly trying to maximize utility.

It’s helpful not to think of entrepreneurship in terms of cash money stuffed in duffel bags and woman dancing in bikinis but rather who can identify gap inefficiencies in markets or mis-allocation of resources. It’s possible for a market to be out of equilibrium and participants not aware. That’s how it’s possible to do something “that’s never been done” or “something that’s already being done”.

Filling the gap is where money gets allocated. You make money cause you actually made the effort to imitate parameters outside yourself. Abstract economic concepts I know but they serve as powerful axiomatic tools for altering perception. Gives a little clarity as to the chaos around you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.