The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Looking for your next idea

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

dennisgerik

Unemployable?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 24, 2015
Seattle, WA
As I am considering my next project - I am really thinking about what MJ teaches about finding a problem to solve and solve it for a group of people. As I consider what this means, I have been looking for ways to identify and focus upon different groups of people. To this end, I found a few of different ways of identifying large groups of people. Here's a few to get you started - along with a few websites to jump start your brain and get your research flowing.

1) Look for Careers or Professions - people tend to group around different types of tasks or activities. Search for Lists of Top Careers, Careers in Demand, High-Paying Careers, etc.

2) Look for College Majors - people spend a lot of money to get educated in a particular field, specialty, or discipline. Search for College Majors in Demand, Highest Paying College Majors, Hardest College Majors, etc.

3) Look for Professional Certifications - people want to make themselves stand out in the particular careers. So, many will pursue specialized knowledge requiring extra education and demonstration of such knowledge. Search for Professional Certification in <CAREER from #1), Professional Certification Exams, Professional Certification Training, etc.

If you are struggling to find people to learn about, research and speak with - I hope these three ideas will help you as it is helping me.

What other methods of research do you use to identify groups of people to learn from?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
A lot of ideas are also found within the operations of existing companies. This creates the value skew.

So you're not fixing "external problems", you're fixing a problem that another company isn't doing well.

XYZ Company exists to solve problem Z. But while they fix problem Z, they are too expensive, too slow, or too inconvenient.

If XYZ sucks at SOLVING Z, do better in that area and you have a good skew.

Any dissatisfaction with an existing company and their offering is an opportunity.

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think it’s also helpful to think why a product or service fails. It’s because the actual act of setting up that business within an economic system is a mis-allocation of resources and an inefficiency. It’s incompatible with the macro and micro forces constantly trying to maximize utility.

It’s helpful not to think of entrepreneurship in terms of cash money stuffed in duffel bags and woman dancing in bikinis but rather who can identify gap inefficiencies in markets or mis-allocation of resources. It’s possible for a market to be out of equilibrium and participants not aware. That’s how it’s possible to do something “that’s never been done” or “something that’s already being done”.

Filling the gap is where money gets allocated. You make money cause you actually made the effort to imitate parameters outside yourself. Abstract economic concepts I know but they serve as powerful axiomatic tools for altering perception. Gives a little clarity as to the chaos around you.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom