The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for ideas on where to get investors

Idea threads

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
Without going into too much detail. I am looking to start a coffee related business in New Jersey. I am looking for investors who would be interested in investing in my business but also wanted to find out any other ideas on getting investors. Private investors are not an option for me cause everyone I know has no money and the ones I do know with money, have no interest investing lol. Any feedback, website, groups, organizations would be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Not to rain on your parade, but setting up a coffee business doesn't seem very "fastlane" unless you are willing to franchise it out. Just something to keep in mind. :)

If I was an investor I would ask what do you have that Starbucks, Seattles Best (owned by Starbucks), etc don't?

Why are you better than them?

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
There are a lot of venture companies that offers some funding for startups…
Just google something like venture funding companies
You can also try to find local groups of investors and pitch them your idea.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
Not to rain on your parade, but setting up a coffee business doesn't seem very "fastlane" unless you are willing to franchise it out. Just something to keep in mind. :)

If I was an investor I would ask what do you have that Starbucks, Seattles Best (owned by Starbucks), etc don't?

Why are you better than them?

Ya but having multiple streams of income is very "fastlane". Ultimately if this goes well, I do plan on opening more stands.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Yes, but I would rather focus on one business at first, sell it and then invest in multiple businesses. That seems to be the theme here.

I will ask again if you have anything that sets your coffee business apart from the others.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
Yes, but I would rather focus on one business at first, sell it and then invest in multiple businesses. That seems to be the theme here.

I will ask again if you have anything that sets your coffee business apart from the others.

Yes you would rather focus on one business and I am doing the same. To answer your second question is demographics for starters. Seattle's Best Coffee and Starbucks are not big out here in New Jersey, Dunkin Donuts is. Dunkin Donuts coffee is bitter and they overcharge. Drive thru coffee stands are huge in Washington state(one on every corner) and very convenient. Residents in New Jersey dont pump their own gas why get out of your car to get your own coffee. If this was Washington state, I wouldnt plan on opening a coffee stand, New Jersey is open territory. Now if by the end of this year 20 coffee stands pop up I will be blaming you

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
To answer your second question is demographics for starters. Seattle's Best Coffee and Starbucks are not big out here in New Jersey, Dunkin Donuts is. Dunkin Donuts coffee is bitter and they overcharge. Residents in New Jersey dont pump their own gas why get out of your car to get your own coffee. If this was Washington state, I wouldnt plan on opening a coffee stand, New Jersey is open territory. Now if by the end of this year 20 coffee stands pop up I will be blaming you

1. The quickest way to get investors is to get out, take action, and actually create a business, then you will have no problem finding investors.

2. It seems to me that you are not a long time resident of NJ. Trust me, Starbucks has a large presence here in NJ. Google Maps is your friend, just see how many Starbucks there are in each county. I can name about 10 off the count of my head.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ones I do know with money, have no interest investing

of everything you hear and see today, this quote above should be your very biggest concern. Those with the cash do not want to invest. What does that tell you? People who know how to make money or at least manage money well do not consider your idea a worthy risk or they do not consider you a worthy risk. Either way, you need to address this. If you cannot get people who know you to invest, good luck with strangers.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
of everything you hear and see today, this quote above should be your very biggest concern. Those with the cash do not want to invest. What does that tell you? People who know how to make money or at least manage money well do not consider your idea a worthy risk or they do not consider you a worthy risk. Either way, you need to address this. If you cannot get people who know you to invest, good luck with strangers.

LOL What I meant by that is not that they see me as a risk they just dont have any interest in business or investing in ANY business.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
1. The quickest way to get investors is to get out, take action, and actually create a business, then you will have no problem finding investors.

2. It seems to me that you are not a long time resident of NJ. Trust me, Starbucks has a large presence here in NJ. Google Maps is your friend, just see how many Starbucks there are in each county. I can name about 10 off the count of my head.

The first part....you got that right my friend. Starbucks is out here but its not huge like it is in Washington, and I dont see any drive thrus.The Starbucks out here are in Grocery stores or shopping centers.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
If you put an ad out that basically says "Have $x hundred thousands in sales/commitment/order/etc., need financing." you'll get your investors in a heartbeat.

Outside of having sales, it's pretty much a hope and a prayer.

Best regards and good luck!

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010

Also I am creating a business but I also want to have all my ducks in a row, before I start getting out there and asking for any money whatsoever. Which is why I asked if people have any ideas for investors. Im not looking to get investors tomorrow, just merely trying to cover all the bases( right now) that I know of.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
LOL What I meant by that is not that they see me as a risk they just dont have any interest in business or investing in ANY business.

if you showed them a goose that laid golden eggs, they would be willing to invest. saying they do not want to invest in business is a cop out. no offense.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
so you are planning to open retail locations? The reason I asked is because I have fastfood retail shops and I can give you advice. I have 3 investors right now looking to open 6 locations.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
if you showed them a goose that laid golden eggs, they would be willing to invest. saying they do not want to invest in business is a cop out. no offense.

Dear not everyone with money wants to hand it over. The people I know with money are my family members and trust me, I know have no interest in investing money. After reading through previous posts of yours I think you need a hug and a drink. Just sayin.....

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
so you are planning to open retail locations? The reason I asked is because I have fastfood retail shops and I can give you advice. I have 3 investors right now looking to open 6 locations.

Any and all advice is appreciated, however I am not looking into opening fastfood shops unless its Jack in the Box ;) lol

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Dear not everyone with money wants to hand it over. The people I know with money are my family members and trust me, I know have no interest in investing money. After reading through previous posts of yours I think you need a hug and a drink. Just sayin.....

Then get a loan from them, then you don't have to share profits, just pay back your note.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

lol, not going to get into a pissing contest with you. my advice is valid.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
kurtyordy is right. Anyway from my standpoint, why would anyone invest in your coffee shop business? There's a very good chance you'll fail ( common in this industry). Even if you succeed the profit's will suck, and your investors returns would be shit for the most part. For this type of thing your going to need to fund it yourself, then when and if you succeed try to franchise and get investors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.