The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for ideas on where to get investors

Idea threads

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
kurtyordy is right. Anyway from my standpoint, why would anyone invest in your coffee shop business? There's a very good chance you'll fail ( common in this industry). Even if you succeed the profit's will suck, and your investors returns would be shit for the most part. For this type of thing your going to need to fund it yourself, then when and if you succeed try to franchise and get investors.

Well I appreciate your advice and my point of this post was to get ideas on where to get investors, not asking whether my business idea sucked. This idea is just a small part of what I "plan" on doing. Of course Im young, I still have a LOT to learn, and I know Im going to hit several obstacles before I get to where I want to be. Then again isn't failure just a part of it? But maybe kurtyordy and you can hug eachother.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
People are trying to offer you advice and your acting like a 7 year old, honestly I don't know why I bothered. I'll give you a hug when your business fails and you go bankrupt how's that?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
You ask where to get investors...

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist.

Buy a URL and build a sample website promoting your biz and pitching for investors.

Put an ad in the local newspaper.

Ask your local REI group for the contact info of hard money lenders.

Make a pitch for the sharks on the TV show.

Good luck

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
People are trying to offer you advice and your acting like a 7 year old, honestly I don't know why I bothered. I'll give you a hug when your business fails and you go bankrupt how's that?

Sorry, Im a very sarcastic person by nature and didn't mean to offend you but at the same time, where was your advice? Between you and kurt I don't see any useful advice, I just see it as hurling insults. Im far from sensitive but theres a way of getting your point across without being rude and then be shocked when someone reacts back. But I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, so Im done with this.

However to the people in this thread who actually posted advice I thank you very much and appreciate it. I look forward to being active on this forum and hope to learn useful information. Also the articles that were posted were very useful and I actually saved them both.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
You ask where to get investors...

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist.

Buy a URL and build a sample website promoting your biz and pitching for investors.

Put an ad in the local newspaper.

Ask your local REI group for the contact info of hard money lenders.

Make a pitch for the sharks on the TV show.

Good luck

FANTASTIC!!!!! A million thanks to you, those are wonderful ideas and Im going to use them all.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
I commend you for putting yourself out here and asking questions. But make sure you read carefully and try to understand what the other posters here are trying to say.

There were 2 important posts here that you missed in the beginning because instead of reading carefully, you chose to argue with people attempting to give you advice. If you read the earlier posts you will notice that you missed the following posts:

1) The guy that said he would consider investing after looking at your plan (don't know if it was a serious post, but I didn't see you reply to that post)

2) My initial post asking about your operations. I sell a very similar product and was once in your shoes, zero capital, big plans and no idea what I was getting into. Today I have 2 retail locations open that generates close to $50k a month in revenue each in the peak season, and I have a few investors that plan to open several locations with me. So i thought I could give you advice based on my experiences when I started my business a few years ago when I was 26 years old just like yourself.

I love giving advice to those who humbly seek, because I never had a mentor and I had to learn everything on my own. I am far from being considered a success. I still consider myself a learner and a newbie at business.

I think first you need to learn to take other people's advice and be as humble as you can. Like a few mentioned here, investors will pick your business plans apart and ask questions like "what gap in the market are you filling that starbucks does not?". Especially if you do not already have a successful concept up and running. The failure rate for a restaurant/retail is so high that chances are, the easiest money you will get is from your family and friends.

Also please remember that one of the best skills you can have as an entrepreneur is the ability to get along well with people. Another crucial skill to have is to raise capital :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Josh.O I don't think that comment is fair or appropriate. It certainly shows poor taste and immaturity on your part. Also, it is not a great first post from a newbie.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
I commend you for putting yourself out here and asking questions. But make sure you read carefully and try to understand what the other posters here are trying to say.

There were 2 important posts here that you missed in the beginning because instead of reading carefully, you chose to argue with people attempting to give you advice. If you read the earlier posts you will notice that you missed the following posts:

1) The guy that said he would consider investing after looking at your plan (don't know if it was a serious post, but I didn't see you reply to that post)

2) My initial post asking about your operations. I sell a very similar product and was once in your shoes, zero capital, big plans and no idea what I was getting into. Today I have 2 retail locations open that generates close to $50k a month in revenue each in the peak season, and I have a few investors that plan to open several locations with me. So i thought I could give you advice based on my experiences when I started my business a few years ago when I was 26 years old just like yourself.

I love giving advice to those who humbly seek, because I never had a mentor and I had to learn everything on my own. I am far from being considered a success. I still consider myself a learner and a newbie at business.

I think first you need to learn to take other people's advice and be as humble as you can. Like a few mentioned here, investors will pick your business plans apart and ask questions like "what gap in the market are you filling that starbucks does not?". Especially if you do not already have a successful concept up and running. The failure rate for a restaurant/retail is so high that chances are, the easiest money you will get is from your family and friends.

Also please remember that one of the best skills you can have as an entrepreneur is the ability to get along well with people. Another crucial skill to have is to raise capital :)

I appreciate your post very much and you are absolutely right. I would love to hear your advice or anyone elses rather. I still have a lot of work ahead of me and am trying to, as I said before get my ducks in a row. I get along well with people and know when to bite my tongue and let it go. It was clearly not my intention to bicker with anyone. As I said in previous posts, many thanks to the gentlemen that posted advice and tips, it is much appreciated.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
A coffee shop might be a very profitable business… the competition would be tough and this niche is quite saturated though…

Anyway when they started Starbuks there were a lot of other coffee shops… right?

You can also add some twist to your coffee shop to attract people. For example, I recently saw a coffee shop where people can come and read some legal books, or get some legal advices.

Another idea is to give people an opportunity to use a coffee shop as club where they come to talk, meet new friends, etc.

TemptingFate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 14, 2010
A coffee shop might be a very profitable business… the competition would be tough and this niche is quite saturated though…

Anyway when they started Starbuks there were a lot of other coffee shops… right?

You can also add some twist to your coffee shop to attract people. For example, I recently saw a coffee shop where people can come and read some legal books, or get some legal advices.

Another idea is to give people an opportunity to use a coffee shop as club where they come to talk, meet new friends, etc.

thank you very much, the coffee shop is just a small part of a huge "plan". I say "plan" cause we all know we can have a plan but it always has a million different paths lol.

smith360

Banned
Apr 9, 2011
Sounds great - I hope that you can get the assistance you need. I would suggest the obvious - how briz.com will be the next big thing for small business owners and of course connect it to the Facebook, Myspace community which has exploded to become extremely lucrative.

Here`s to a successful outcome!

[URL="http://www.Deleted by Mod./URL]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!