The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

REAL ESTATE Lonnie deal then no first time home buyer status?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 9, 2007
Anyone know if I do a "Lonnie Deal" and buy/sell a mobile home and finance the sale, if that would remove my first time home buyer status?

My wife and I are going to buy a home this year and I want to make sure this doesn't disqualify us from an FHA loan (3% down) or other first time home buyer incentives.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2007
Not certain about this, but I would think that if you are doing a traditional Lonnie deal, i.e. buying a mobile home that's in a park (not on its own land nor on a foundation) that you would be okay because a mobile home in a park isn't considered "real estate", but personal property.

StreetsofSilver

New Contributor
Aug 4, 2008
PA
Talk to a mortgage broker in your state to be sure. Most states consider mobile homes to be vehicles unless it has a concrete slab basement.

FHA loans aren't just for first time home buyers. It can only be used for owner occupants and you can't have more than one outstanding FHA mortgage with a loan to value of higher than 75%. You can own rental property and purchase your primary residence using FHA mortgage financing.

OP
OP
S

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 9, 2007
As an aside, I just read that to finance mobile homes in Minnesota, you need to have a dealers license, which you can only get after 2 years of having a real estate license. So that may stop this idea dead in its tracks.

Runum

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 8, 2007
DFW
As an aside, I just read that to finance mobile homes in Minnesota, you need to have a dealers license, which you can only get after 2 years of having a real estate license. So that may stop this idea dead in its tracks.
Interesting, would that also include lease to own?

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 7, 2008
Interesting, would that also include lease to own?
No Runum, you make a good point. It does not include lease/rent to own.

Sid, if you do not mind being a "Land Lord" then you can still definitely do the deal with a lease to own option. You will just have to have insurance in your name the whole time, pay the property taxes and help your tenants with any issues at the home.

Since you are young and moving into the apartment market next it might be a good thing to try, and you will still double your cash.

Lonnie talks about it in the end of his eBook, so if you bought that thing today like you were contemplating, make sure you read on the lease/rent to own section near the end of the book. He says it is very profitable, no dealer license required, but you have to be willing to deal with a tenant!

G. Alexander

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
It's definitely possible, although it may not be feasible right away. I'm from the U.S. but have...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Amazing book! Actually I bought it, before I joined the forum and it motivated me to join...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock