The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Living below your means is hard

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I loved all of this except the die with zero thing. Not a fan of that book, but understand its appeal to some.

I don't agree with all of it, however I totally understand the point of inflection where it starts to make more sense to spend more than you save/earn. What's the point of amassing a decent eight-figure net worth if you're going to live a thousandaire lifestyle? And please don't mention that F*ckstick Warren Buffett and his modest house and car.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
If you meet someone that is living a "useless life" based on your descriptions and they claim they are happy/fulfilled relaxing with their family all day on the beach (or surfing or video gaming or whatever else).

How would you fit that contradiction into your ideology? Would you just conclude they are lying about what they do or about their happiness?

I met some people like that: surfers, climbers, freedivers, sailors. And they're actually some of the coolest people to know. They often have way more drive for life than your standard "grind hard" gurus.

They may not do much that's generally considered productive but they still want to get better at something, even if it's just their "useless" passion. So even seemingly lethargic people aren't really doing nothing. They're still exploring what they're capable of, even if not in a standard quantifiable way.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I met some people like that: surfers, climbers, freedivers, sailors. And they're actually some of the coolest people to know. They often have way more drive for life than your standard "grind hard" gurus.

They may not do much that's generally considered productive but they still want to get better at something, even if it's just their "useless" passion. So even seemingly lethargic people aren't really doing nothing. They're still exploring what they're capable of, even if not in a standard quantifiable way.

If they make your life better through friendship and inspiration… by definition they aren’t useless, or lethargic.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Living below your means is a prime example of the slowlane

Not really, live below your means, but your focus should be to EXPAND your means.

If you earn $1M a year, you can still live within your means, yet, still live like a king.

Unfortunately in today's culture, live within your means means, "do nothing, drive nothing, and buy nothing-- and you'll be happy."

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Absolutely! Emotional profits are still profits as far as I’m concerned.

rymf

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 11, 2020
Poland
I bet if you made more money you would have bought a 3 series. So ask yourself why? Why wouldn't you buy a 1 if you were making 3x your current salary?

I see this mentality all the time. I don't understand it. I had a friend visit me in Vegas recently from out of town who is not currently working. We went to a bunch of tourist places and she bought a bunch of souvenirs. I just don't understand how someone can spend $35 on a t-shirt, $10 on a mug and $15 on a random knickknack when they aren't working. The excuse is "But I'm on vacation.". "I want something to remember this trip by."
I’m actually looking forward buying a 3 series haha

Thank you all for your meaningful thoughts, I’ve learned some things and I hope others have learned something too.

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Yes, it’s tough and takes the discipline of looking at the truth of our spending habits regularly

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.