The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

List of 29 books that Tony Hseih asked EVERYONE in Zappos to read

For any book discussion

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Allright guys, I have been reading a lot of books lately and I found this absolute gold.

A list of 29 books that Tony Hseih, who was a billionaire (recently went just below a billion) and cofounder of Zappos asked all his staff to read, even the minimum wage ones. He bought these books in trucks and handed them over to his staff.

Check it out -

PIC5.jpg

Go read them :)

Source - http://bit.ly/2bNzMzG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

What a weird list. A few good ones, but a lot of junk too.

From an owner's perspective: don't do this to your employees. Why would you recommend 30 books instead of extracting the best idea from each one to implement into your training? It's just lazy.

I think this is why zappos is a mismanaged mess. On paper it looks like a bunch of mini ceos, but in practice it's a coop of headless chickens. When you apply self-management with no hierarchy, fuzzy compensation, no clear incentives, etc., you're asking for an hr nightmare.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

From an owner's perspective: don't do this to your employees. Why would you recommend 30 books instead of extracting the best idea from each one to implement into your training? It's just lazy.

I think this is why zappos is a mismanaged mess. On paper it looks like a bunch of mini ceos, but in practice it's a coop of headless chickens. When you apply self-management with no hierarchy, fuzzy compensation, no clear incentives, etc., you're asking for an hr nightmare.

Hey, whats going on brother?

I think Zappos is a great example of execution, building a shoe company from zero to billion in a window of 8 years is not an easy task. Especially Zappos customer service is known to be one of the best in the world.

But I dunno, I did not check what you said about Zappos having fuzzy compensation, unclear incentives and hr nightmare. Can you link me to it so that I can check?

Adam

G

GuestUser450

Hey, whats going on brother?
Yeah, in hindsight, not cool of me to hijack a well-meaning thread. I hope more contribute to it.

zero to billion in a window of 8 years is not an easy task.
No doubt. Incredible growth, even more impressive in spite of its structure. Although not exactly zero; they took 60+ million in vc too.

Can you link me to it so that I can check?
Zappos’ Weird Management Style Is Costing It More Employees

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

correctly stated;

jeffrey gitomers books are really top notch however

Last edited by a moderator:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yeah, in hindsight, not cool of me to hijack a well-meaning thread. I hope more contribute to it.

No doubt. Incredible growth, even more impressive in spite of its structure. Although not exactly zero; they took 60+ million in vc too.

Zappos’ Weird Management Style Is Costing It More Employees

I just read the article you linked. Why is that bad?

18% of employees didn't buy into the new culture, so they left. Now Zappos is left primarily with the employees that want to be there. That's a great thing for the future of a company.

G

GuestUser450

I just read the article you linked. Why is that bad?
I don't want to distract any more from OP's intent, so briefly: turnover rate by itself is not bad but a symptom of larger issues that inevitably trickle down to the consumer.
Zappos' median pay is appx 50K, so while it's not like the folks leaving are tech talent accepting better offers they're also probably not underpaid minions.

Now Zappos is left primarily with the employees that want to be there.
Assuming the bleeding stops here is a big leap, especially when turnover grew from 14% to almost 20% in a year. Looks like they're 1500ish people, so that could be a couple of salaried people per week. That's a scary trend that looks less like "cleaning house" and more like a broken system.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't want to distract any more from OP's intent, so briefly: turnover rate by itself is not bad but a symptom of larger issues that inevitably trickle down to the consumer.
Zappos' median pay is appx 50K, so while it's not like the folks leaving are tech talent accepting better offers they're also probably not underpaid minions.

Assuming the bleeding stops here is a big leap, especially when turnover grew from 14% to almost 20% in a year. Looks like they're 1500ish people, so that could be a couple of salaried people per week. That's a scary trend that looks less like "cleaning house" and more like a broken system.

I disagree completely.

Turnover is part of Zappos' strategy and culture. They pay employees to leave if they don't like it there.

That creates losses in terms of hiring costs, but is made up for in higher productivity (on average from the remaining employees).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.