The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Line of Credit?

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Is it possible to get a nice sized line of credit from a bank
or credit union to fund real estate deals - without securing
it to a home???

I've heard it's possible, but also heard there are certain steps/
things to do to secure a line of credit.

Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

6.0_bull

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 27, 2007
Joe

There are many variables when you are trying to secure a line of credit; I am assuming that you are looking for an unsecured credit line from one of the major banks...

Many things have changed in the past six months due to the sub-prime mortgage crises and the current economy being borderline to a recession currently, there for the lending institutions (Banks) have really tightened up on there lending criteria …

Its not hard to get but you will need the following in place generally speaking at most of the major lending institutions and also depends on what amount you are looking for in these times of crises in the financial markets ….and you defiantly don’t want to let them no that you need your credit line for real estate purchase, I think you might want to possibly look at a corporate credit line as well.

-The first thing that all the banks will be looking for will be your personal credit is a flawless credit history and generally speaking there looking for beacon scores right now of at least over 700+ with no late payments in the last two years.

-They generally want to see that you have been employed for minimum of 2 years as well
And usually some form of proof of employment for that term.or tax filing docs.

-If you have equity in your home and not in major debt with credit cards etc there are also looking for that

These are some of the basic criteria they are currently looking for, how ever you’re probably looking at smaller credit lines of $10-50k at most from one institution so my advice would be to try and establish corporate credit and get yourself higher amounts in the 100k range

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
I think it depends on what you consider to be "nice size". If you have decent personal credit and assets it's pretty simple to get 10-20k. This is personally guaranteed credit. If you are looking for larger lines, you are probably looking for corp credit. You generally need 2+ years seasoned corp for this. You will probably need to personally guarantee your smaller corp lines at first, the goal should be to wien newer, larger lines off of your name and into your corp name.

Donna Fox has a pretty good book "From Credit Repair to Credit Millionaire" that you might want to pick up.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Is it possible to get a nice sized line of credit from a bank
or credit union to fund real estate deals - without securing
it to a home???

I've heard it's possible, but also heard there are certain steps/
things to do to secure a line of credit.

Joe

I am actually working on this right now. I have applied for a 20k line of credit for my business which deals in RE. They asked me how much in sales I will do this year. 1million. Thats pretty accurate. I will sell 4-5 houses or so each worth ~200k. I was actually jobless at the time, so they figured my income to be 30k a year off the RE. They needed a credit score above 680. I had to give a personal guarantee, but did not have to attach it to anything. Hope that helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
The 2 years of being in business is pretty important, and in a lot of cases they'll ask you to produce tax returns showing your profits, etc... If you can't get the unsecured, getting secured lines is pretty easy as long as you've got good credit yourself. They rarely check your background beyond your Fico and what you tell them you make in income....

One thing I don't like about lines of credit is that you have to pay for them. Usually $100-200 per year "annual fee". I can get as much credit on plastic with no tax returns, based on my word of my gross household income without the annual fees, and they usually give you the convenience checks so you can use the money for whatever. Advanta is my fave -- I've currently got a $50k CC, which I can use like a line of credit there, and I earn reward points too -- Awesome.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.