The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Started With Velocity Banking & A Credit Line

lew-ashby

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 28, 2020
Tennessee
Hi, I'm a single parent with a full time job and I'm looking to make this a little better financially for me and my daughter and I'm really interested in utilizing velocity banking but I have some question on how and IF it will work for us. So here some of my questions and issues:

Accessing cash from the credit line and paying money back to the credit line:
I was hoping I could open a line of credit and just have my paycheck automatically direct deposited into my credit line account while at the same time have all of my bill auto draft from my credit line account or use an online bill pay system that will automatically send the money for my bills from my credit line. This would allow me to use my cred line account to replace my bank account and allow me to utilize velocity banking as the benefit and reason for doing so. I called my local bank and I was told that I would have to move money back and forth through the phone/computer/app to and from my checking/saving account to my cred line account. This would be very troublesome as I wouldn't even be able to run to the store without estimating how much money I'm going to spend and then manually sending money over before a simple act like getting groceries or filling up gas, and I would have to remember every little auto draft like Netflix, how much and when and make sure that I had sent enough money, one time, from my cred line to my checking account. Does anyone know a work around for this? Is there an institution that would allow me to spend money/pay bill directly from my cred line account and via Debit Card, Bill Pay, Auto Draft, etc... and would also allow me to direct deposit into that credit line account? Thanks.

Paying Back on the Credit Line:
If I were to open a credit line with an available $5000 and put my entire paycheck into the credit line every two weeks (roughly $1200 every two weeks) and pay all of my bills out of that cred line, how could I use velocity banking to chunk my car or mortgage payment? If I were to chunk $2000 principal only towards my car for instance, how would that work when it comes to continues to use my credit line for my regular bill, groceries, gas, etc... and putting my paycheck into the cred line, how would that $2000 be getting paid down and back? Thanks again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019
The main thing is to control your incomes and debt's history, not letting bank to use their third-party collection agencies start annoying you about those debts. As a good example of their work, you can read this web article here about UCB Collections and their methods, and how you can protect yourself from such third-party companies.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@lew-ashby looks like idea of velocity banking is to use a heloc to pay debts? maybe getting a lower interest rate (with the risk of losing your home) on those debts?

let's go a little before that:
how much do you 'pay yourself first' each month?
10% is the start.
when you get your paycheck, sweep 10% into your investment account.
live / pay debt / etc. on the rest.
when you have $5k together. now you have an investment fund.
your first investment might be aggressively paying additional payments on your debt.
it might be investing in your skillset to make more money.
it might be starting or buying a small business.

check out 'The Richest Man in Babylon'. great book for you and for your kid(s).

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Hi, I'm a single parent with a full time job and I'm looking to make this a little better financially for me and my daughter and I'm really interested in utilizing velocity banking but I have some question on how and IF it will work for us. So here some of my questions and issues:

Accessing cash from the credit line and paying money back to the credit line:
I was hoping I could open a line of credit and just have my paycheck automatically direct deposited into my credit line account while at the same time have all of my bill auto draft from my credit line account or use an online bill pay system that will automatically send the money for my bills from my credit line. This would allow me to use my cred line account to replace my bank account and allow me to utilize velocity banking as the benefit and reason for doing so. I called my local bank and I was told that I would have to move money back and forth through the phone/computer/app to and from my checking/saving account to my cred line account. This would be very troublesome as I wouldn't even be able to run to the store without estimating how much money I'm going to spend and then manually sending money over before a simple act like getting groceries or filling up gas, and I would have to remember every little auto draft like Netflix, how much and when and make sure that I had sent enough money, one time, from my cred line to my checking account. Does anyone know a work around for this? Is there an institution that would allow me to spend money/pay bill directly from my cred line account and via Debit Card, Bill Pay, Auto Draft, etc... and would also allow me to direct deposit into that credit line account? Thanks.

Paying Back on the Credit Line:
If I were to open a credit line with an available $5000 and put my entire paycheck into the credit line every two weeks (roughly $1200 every two weeks) and pay all of my bills out of that cred line, how could I use velocity banking to chunk my car or mortgage payment? If I were to chunk $2000 principal only towards my car for instance, how would that work when it comes to continues to use my credit line for my regular bill, groceries, gas, etc... and putting my paycheck into the cred line, how would that $2000 be getting paid down and back? Thanks again.

1st question is simple, you should be able to deposit funds into the credit line using the routing/acct # provided, just like a regular checking account.

That said, the bigger question is whether you should go this route or not.

You would have to be extremely disciplined, or the strategy could backfire and end up costing you more. There are probably nuances to the strategy that I'm guessing would require you to pay someone to do the initial setup. At the end of the day, what's your real gain? Don't go through with something you don't fully understand. For example, can the bank term out the line at any point, potentially cutting off your savings? Can they reduce the limit? Are you going to invest either the time or money to figure out the right bank to work with with regards to fees, terms, rates, etc? It just seems like a lot of work with minimal gain. Might be better to focus on getting a side hustle going, investing in skills, getting raises or more favorable employment opportunities, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.