• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Stop what you're doing. Get a line of credit.

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by AgainstAllOdds, Jun 25, 2018.

1. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,853
    At most banks, for $150 a year you can open up a business line of credit up to $100,000 without providing financials. All you need is a personal guarantee and good personal credit.

Then, you have $100k sitting for you for whenever you need it.

When you need it, you only pay interest on the amount you take out.

Interest rates are around 7% -- depends on the industry risk and your personal credit score.

Payback is 2% of the outstanding balance per month.

Talk to your local business banker. Line up the capital before you need it. Get ready to scale.

*Warning* Only take on debt when you know you can easily pay it back or need it for a "no-brainer". An example of this would be having customers lined up for your product/service and just taking on debt to service the order.

Roli, smark, The-J and 33 others like this.
  2. CPisHere

CPisHere Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,693
    Lines of Credit are great because if an opportunity comes up, it's incredibly accessible.

That said, I did have to give financials for mine. And different people will get approved for different amounts based on their financials. Each bank probably has their own slight differences as well. Mine only wanted to start with a $25k LOC, then a few years later added an additional $50k.

Real Deal Denver, SMH, ChrisR and 7 others like this.
  3. Patrickg

Patrickg Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $466
    That's great information.

I opened two new credit cards for this reason because my business is booming but I need more inventory.

Very timely so I will talk to the banker tomorrow. Thanks

Lex DeVille and Mattie like this.
  4. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    Where are these magical banks?

So far I’ve only found one bank willing entertain the idea of me applying for a Line. Every other bank, upon hearing I was less than 2 years old said no.

DakonSG, Late Bloomer, Xeon and 9 others like this.
  5. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,230
    I went local. I was buying real estate with no business history. The big banks said no, but the local bank loaned at great rates.
    Real estate may be different than inventory-based businesses, but worth a shot.

6. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,282
    You look much older than that and you are very articulate

Roli, Shafir, YoungPadawan and 24 others like this.
  7. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    Yeah, with RE, they can secure the loan. If you default, they still have a juicy piece of real estate to liquidate.

Leap years and such.

Most banks have minimum 2 yrs in business from what I’ve seen.

Lex DeVille, Mattie, Greg R and 4 others like this.
  8. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,230
    True, but it was still harder to find one then I expected.
    There may also be private money for businesses with no history. Higher interest, but could bridge you the two years until you can go to a "real" bank.

Lex DeVille, Mattie and Greg R like this.
  9. Rivoli

Rivoli Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,212
    Where are you seeing this? I have 430k in open sales right now and basically everyone refused me except one place "BlueVine Capital" and I only got 60k with 6% interest....

Lex DeVille, Ungodly and Scot like this.
  10. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,657
    New banks. Big or small corp, when they open up shop in a new area, they're clamoring to get the ball rolling. Better rates too.

11. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,853
    I went with PNC.

Most of the banks want 3 years in business or more, which I'm guessing they check based on the LLC incorporation date.

PNC.

And a 6% rate for business is pretty good.

12. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    Wait, so are you saying that PNC does or does not want to see 3 years in business?

Greg R likes this.
  13. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,439
    Every time I login to my WellsFargo account, they prompt me for a 3.99% fixed rate and (free for the first year) line of credit up to 100K.

Could be an option?

Yoda, amp0193, G-Man and 5 others like this.
  14. Ungodly

Ungodly Tom Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,714
    LOC's are great to have just sitting around, both personal and business. I have a few now, but ideally want around $500k in accessible credit lines. I will have to do a little more shopping around.

@AgainstAllOdds Thanks for the PNC suggestion, submitting an application now.

Edit: Application in at PNC, went for the whole $100k. Should know something within 48 hours. Went ahead and hit every other bank in this one horse town I'm living in. Half of them didn't even know their bank offered a business line of credit. :rofl:

I have one of those. Past the 1st year now, but it's fine. Even though WF is a sh*t company.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Ronak, ChrisR, AgainstAllOdds and 2 others like this.
  15. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    Damn, I’ll look at it then.

Damn that’s ambitious. I wouldn’t mind that to handle inventory though.

16. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $343

If you have customers lined up why wouldn't you just take pre orders to service the order?

17. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    For someone who’s admitted to not succeeding thus far in business, you’re talking a big game.

Most of the successful players on here all have active lines of credit. They’re extremely valuable tools to use to have access to larger capital at lower interest rates.

The pattern I’m seeing here is, you’re thinking small. Your intro was that you don’t want to be a millionaire. Yes, if all you’re shooting for is $4k in MRR, then you don’t need a LOC, investors, and can presell your digital product.

But if you’re shooting for a $20m per year in revenue business that’s inventory heavy, the rules of the game change.

You need to shift your perspective and realize that “business” is a broad landscape and your preconceived notions don’t apply to every single one.

18. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $343
    Sorry, if it sounded snarky.

Your right, I don't have the skills or the knowledge that's why I'm asking. I want to know why the (succesfull) people who chose that path chose it over another.

Okay, so sounds like not the process for me, but doesn't mean I can't learn from it right?

So is this more helpful to a inventory heavy business, perhaps less useful for a high end Saas aiming at 20mil? Or more helpful for inventory?

What better way to change your mindset, than asking questions?

Roli, topherea, Xeon and 3 others like this.
  19. Patrickg

Patrickg Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $466

Plus certain business like mine people don't preorder. I'm not selling the next coolest video game. I'm in a very need based business and if someone needs it they can't wait.

Just one scenario.

20. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $46,591
    Lines of credit work really well on businesses that have a lot of acounts receivable. My business for example, I have to run production on inventory, then ship to customer and invoice them, wait 30-45 days to be paid. So, I usually got a 60 day cycle between having to buy the product and getting paid for it.

A lot of industries don’t work on preorders. In almost every consumer packaged good market, you’d be laughed out of the meeting if you asked for upfront payment, let alone preorders.

If we’re talking about a Saas product or any other digital product, you can probably get away with using preorders to start the ball rolling.

I think the problem is that we see things like Kickstarter. People preorder sometimes up to 7 figures of product. That’s a great way to get started. But what we don’t see if the next few years of that business. In order to continue running products they need more funding.

Looking at my business again. When I’m running at peak efficiency, I’ll be turning a 30% margin. That’s industry standard for me. But at my lower scale, I’m turning 5-10% margin. If I kept going slow and steady, only operating off my profit, it would take me a couple years to get to a bigger order size. And this is assuming I never had any expenses.

The best thing you can do when evaluating the potential need is plotting out what your business looks like over the next 5 years. It’s important to know what the cash flow structure will look like.

Roli, YoungPadawan, The-J and 11 others like this.
  21. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $343
    I'm thinking of thinks like online retailers with their Just-in-time which is almost dropshiooing too. Customer buys product, then it gets purchased, sold and transhipped.

22. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,439
    If you are drop shipping, fine no problem. But even in an e-commerce business (self-fulfilled) like mine where I send $30K+ to china every month to buy inventory you need credit. I have an Amex platinum and an Amex Gold card to handle my float with an unlimited line of credit. (I say that because they don't tell you a limit).

What happens when Q4 rolls around and I want to be prepared for BFCM? Now I need to order $100K worth of product if I really want to smash Q4.

What if Amex decides that I am only worthy of 50K? Now, I'm screwed. And keep in mind I am small potatoes!

You don't understand because you are not speaking from experience.

23. Flybye

Flybye Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $720
    Ive considered a LOC, but am really scared to borrow money for a business I just opened up to start with debt. Let alone the fact most banks want to see you in business for a few years. My problem was I had several expensive family issues come up which ate into my startup fund. As a result I have been forced to sell a lot of things around the house to try to compensate.

Roli, Rivoli and LittleWolfie like this.
  24. Rivoli

Rivoli Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,212
    Anyone know any banks in Southern California that do lines of credit for businesses less than 2 years?

25. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $9,267
    This

If the business age is a roadblock, why not open a perosnal line. BBVA and Regions send me pre-approval for personal lines up to 50k probably twice a month. Since with a small business you're going to have to pg everything anyway, what's the difference.

Also, if you're not keeping at least 5-10 credit cards open and requesting line increases every 6 months, you're doing credit wrong :clench: