The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

liability

jen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 2, 2011
Ive come up with a website idea that i would like to develop, its basically a homepage with a form where you can either ask a tax question or upload your tax documents for a free tax audit. Both services would be free and revenue would be through advertisments. The one thing im wondering is can i just write in the terms of service that i am not liable for any advise that i give since the service is free and im not actually filing there taxes?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
Who is going to be giving this free advice? How will they be paid?

This is probably something that needs fleshed out a bit more and then reviewed by an attorney. Liability insurance would also obviously be something important to look into.

jen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 2, 2011
My partner has 15 years tax experience and loves the idea. We will get paid from ads on the site. Questions take 5 minutes and audits take 15-20 minutes to complete.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
My partner has 15 years tax experience and loves the idea. We will get paid from ads on the site. Questions take 5 minutes and audits take 15-20 minutes to complete.

Why would you do this service and support it by ads? That is not a business model. Ad's will make you next to nothing - especially for time needed to be invested to answer questions.

jen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 2, 2011
Why would you do this service and support it by ads? That is not a business model. Ad's will make you next to nothing - especially for time needed to be invested to answer questions.

Not every person that comes to the site is going to ask a question. Its a cheap startup, im not investing much money into this. It hasn't been done so i figured id give it a try for the time being.

ps. Thats like saying, blog revenue isnt working when it clearly is.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Not every person that comes to the site is going to ask a question. Its a cheap startup, im not investing much money into this. It hasn't been done so i figured id give it a try for the time being.

ps. Thats like saying, blog revenue isnt working when it clearly is.

Money might not be invested but time is (time is more valuable), and you need to invest a lot of time, especially for something like this to take off.

Blog revenue definitely does work for a very small percent of the internet, but remember there are a lot more which it don't. There are places like Reddit who serve 1B page views a month and still have a 'gold' subscription. To be fair, they do cater a lot with the ad's in favor of their audience. There are also websites like New Scientist who has switched to subscription for their articles.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. Honestly, I really do hope it works for you, I think it'd be awesome. It's just difficult to go solely off of ad revenue.

jen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 2, 2011
Money might not be invested but time is (time is more valuable), and you need to invest a lot of time, especially for something like this to take off.

Blog revenue definitely does work for a very small percent of the internet, but remember there are a lot more which it don't. There are places like Reddit who serve 1B page views a month and still have a 'gold' subscription. To be fair, they do cater a lot with the ad's in favor of their audience. There are also websites like New Scientist who has switched to subscription for their articles.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. Honestly, I really do hope it works for you, I think it'd be awesome. It's just difficult to go solely off of ad revenue.

Thank you, i appreciate your help. I understand your concern about the time situation but i guess i should have mentioned my other startup with my partner that we will venture into in about a year or two once i obtain my CPA. That startup is simply fighting the IRS for people with backtaxes nationwide. This first startup, hopefully, will help us sharpen our skills and if it goes well can direct traffic to our second venture site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.