The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Build a Spec House!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm pretty easy. If a realtor brings me a buyer, they get the next listing. Maybe go in with that "deal" and see where the relationship goes. I would recommend smaller builders too. The large ones try their best to sell them in-house.

I form most of my relationships outside of work. Philanthropies, church functions, parties etc. The more I "do" the more contacts I make and things fall in my lap.

Thanks for the great answers.

Yes, the big builders go to great lengths to keep everything in house. Their own sales teams that are top notch - but very limited in what they do. They only know their products.

Do you think having me in the office to help the buyers needing to sell their own homes would be an added bonus in *your* market appeal? Or do most buyers have that wrapped up by the time they talk to you?

greenGabbard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 13, 2017
Fresno, Ca
I must say this progress thread has me really pumped about getting into this real estate deeper. I have a couple questions for you sir.

What/where would you advise I can learn more about how to go about this particular build model?

I have already bought my plots, app. 10, and am looking to build on these lots as well.

I have a friend that is an architect. Another is a master carpenter. What other skilled person might I need to find in my network?

Are your lots/plats ideally the same size lots to minimize the amount of redesign/scale?

Thank you for this great progress thread and being very active and detailed throughout the whole adventure.

Last edited:

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
good update, enjoy watching your progress. Do you let your clients make changes? I presell everything and lock down the specification. When you buy an iphone you cant make changes so why should housing be any different. Frees up massive time, makes job management easier and means all the contractors get into a good pattern from job to job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I think your truss' are sexy! Thanks for the awesome journal! Great read.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I just moved to Florida, I source lots and tear downs for builders. What part of FL are you in?

Johnny Le

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 12, 2016
Awesome! Right on track for your goal. I'll be following along your new thread as well. Thanks for recommending that PM software, it really is making my life a lot easier. I do have a few questions for you.

Are your profit margins increasing with each spec?
With 2 project managers, how many hours are you putting in a week now? At what point did you feel the need to hire one?
Would you have any building tips/tricks to keep the build cost low?
Are you using the PM software's templates, or have you built a custom setup?

Pictures please! :clench:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Johnny Le

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 12, 2016
$176/square foot
Hey boss man!! It's been awhile since we've spoken/updated this thread! How has everything been going for you regarding your spec building business? I've got 2 on the market right now.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Wow. Just got a notification from this thread!! Thanks for everything @Get Right!!

It's been five years since my journey began and I've been able to build 10 spec homes since. From finding financing to building it to selling it.

In my market I was building in the upper price range, but have since considered to begin building higher density homes. In order to do so, we've spent a good bit on consultants.

If you want more information I'd recommend Builder Partnerships. (I have no affiliation with them!)

Best of luck!
Congratulations on your success! 10 specs is pretty awesome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.