The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

let the brainstorming begin - new domain & brand name

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
hello everyone.

as part of my internet venture. i'm looking into the future for sister sites to add along side of my current project. i may even incorporate it into my current site, but for the moment i'll be keeping it seperate.

in short, i'm looking to create an application which links buyers sellers and investors automatically.

for example, a seller logs in and enters in data about homes they have for sale.

a buyer logs in and enteres in criteria of houses they'd like to purchase.

the application would automatically connect these buyers and sellers.

on that note, i've looked into domains such as "relink.com", "reconnect.com", "renetwork" where re stands for real estate (for those that do not know). i opted not to search for "rei" becuase it's not limited to real estate investors.

on that note, perhaps some of the more creative individuals would like to share some ideas of names / brand name possibilities.

nothing is too off the wall.

(looks the right side of m brain is taped out for the moment) ;]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
for example, a seller logs in and enters in data about homes they have for sale.

a buyer logs in and enteres in criteria of houses they'd like to purchase.

the application would automatically connect these buyers and sellers.

Not to disappoint you, that is one of my projects. The good news is that I am putting that behind me for now and work on my better idea. I don't have that much resource at the moment to get all the project done.

I think I mentioned the idea in other post, because I was trying to help my friend to sell her multimillion dollar mountain house in Colorado to potential buyers.

It's like matching site (dating). I see a lot of potential in that niche. Like you said. This can be for anything.

I would personally recommend that you focus on one niche (house, car, boat, or valuable items, etc). Otherwise, you are making yourself a small fish against Cragslist, Walmart or many other site like that. You need to be more proactive than those big sites.

The important key is matching. You need to define your unqiue matching rules. By age, product name, price range, gender or anything else.

Here is few of the niches that you may be interested in.

• Raw diamond or precious raw gem stone!
  • Used equipment (B2B)
  • Boats and luxury cars

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
a race! who can execute?

(sorry Ryanpal - - - I'm all tapped out too, but I'll mull it over and come back if I think of anything)

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
Great to hear you have made progress since the "B&P".

Could it be two domains, e.g. sellahouse.com, obviously for the sellers, and buyahouse.com for the buyers, but they point to different landing pages of a site? With the correct DNS entries and Apache directory configuration, I don't think this wouldn't be too difficult. Then mysql queries on the backend and tadaa.... a match, hopefully. ;)

James

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
terencechang,

were you trying to trying to dissuade me on my idea or what? ;)

there's always room for more than one type of site (ie/ facebook, myspace, friendster)

----
aroundtheworld,

the challenge is tempting although most of my energy is being focused elsewhere. this is a "tie in" to the other projects and i'm just starting the beginning motions.

----
slim_jim,

i've been working around the clock since. there's alot of challenges along the way. let's hope my next presentation isn't "what not to do with online businesses" ;)

as far as two sites. i'm looking to keep it as one.

---
moving along. where's all the right brained people? i'm sure something could be whipped out in a min

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ryanpal:

Not at all. You can take all of them. I am sure if I decide to continue that project, I can catch up pretty quick! :)

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
Ryanpal:

Not at all. You can take all of them. I am sure if I decide to continue that project, I can catch up pretty quick! :)

ooooh a competitive market from the get go :smxB:

i think the biggest challenge is who will start to implement first!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
ryan, that idea sounds a lot like the websites that brokers have where buyers can go and see listings from the MLS. I can ask any of the agents I know for an automated listing for properties that meet some criteria. How would this be different?

Understanding those differences will help to come up with the right name.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
i was thinking about this service the other day and a few questions came to mind. one of which was probably the most important.

when running a service like this, you need users from the start. if there is no existing database then new users won't be connected with anyone etc. therefore making your business look ameature.

to prevent this, how does a service like this obtain an existing, "working" network from day 1?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i was thinking about this service the other day and a few questions came to mind. one of which was probably the most important.

when running a service like this, you need users from the start. if there is no existing database then new users won't be connected with anyone etc. therefore making your business look ameature.

to prevent this, how does a service like this obtain an existing, "working" network from day 1?

Typically, the entire site needs to be FREE at the start to attract users and the business owners.

Sometimes, you can buy the business database from InfoUsa (or another list vendor) as a backdrop, and then start selling premium services. Kudzu got their start by buying the data.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
thanks MJ.

this site was going to be free as you mentioned. going with this route w/out buying a business database how would you obtain users?

let's use this idea. automatically connecting buyers, sellers and investors. if a website is advertising this is what it does, what would be an effective way to get users to sign up and provide information so that during the web site launch it's fully functional and seems as if it's been active for some time.

ZenSatori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Sep 2, 2008
Marietta, Georgia
Ok Ryanpal,

Since I pretty much struck out on your affiliate thread, I figured, what the hell, make it 2 for 2 ;)

Why not set up a private beta for your site. Spread the word using PR sites and RE Blogs that a new service is about to come online and is looking for buyers and sellers to try it out.

1) You generate advance buzz - even if the service will be free, there is an air of exclusivity for the initial users.

B) You start building your list.

Thirdly) You can control the number of initial users so that if things go horribly wrong, you can hold off on new subscribers until things get fixed. As things progress, you keep adding "batches" of new users.

Finally) By specifying that it is a beta, you set initial expectations so that if there are problems, as long as you fix them quickly, there is minimal damage.

Plus, as an added bonus, you can solicit valuable feedback on how to improve the service before it goes "live", to make your service even better, possibly setting it apart from your competitors.

Zen
ProjectNOMAD

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
ZenSatori,

you're on a roll my friend. your last post has given me insite beyond this thread ;]

i appreciate you feedback.

ryan

ps - where do i mail your check to? ;)

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
yes like that. nomoneydown, where were you when i first posted this? :smxB:

looks like i have a challenge for trying to do it better.

I believe the link I gave was specific to the Austin, TX area, though, which to me means the door is still wide open for other locales (or, better yet, a national presence).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.