The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lessons from Super Bowl 42

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So what can we learn from Super Bowl 42 from a business/ organizational standpoint?

Here are some thoughts/lessons I pulled from the lining of the game ...
  • Being anointed a champion / winner before actually earning it will decrease your intensity and motivation.
  • Productivity and performance is improved when there are no expectations.
  • Cheaters never win and the negative karma it creates always recircles back into your life.
  • Whatever everyone else thinks of you (and your team) is not relevant -- what is is your thoughts and how they translate into action.
  • Your true character shows in losing moreso than in winning.
  • When youre expected to do nothing, doing something will always shock the world.
I'm not a fan of either team but these thoughts came to mind. I love it when an underdog overcomes adversity and rises to the mountaintop. If anyone else pulled any lessons from the game, feel free to post them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
The ability to lead a team is far more important than individual brilliance. This applies in business as well as sports.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I can't stand Tom Brady. I'm so glad somebody whooped that arrogant little (*&*(&.... Getting to watch him get hit on almost every single play yesterday was a true treat! :) Especially while his pretentious little girlfriend sat up in her luxury box and sipped wine. It was like watching the real life Cinderella man when Eli took charge and won it.

Karma is Karma...

-Hakrjak

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
Focus on the goal. Never give up.

35193851.jpg

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Did you know that 40% of NY Giants Fans have household incomes over $100k?

If they didn't, they couldn't afford to live in New York :) and they would be Pittsburgh fans.

My lesson from the game is that the Giants just wanted it more. It was clear from the opening of the game.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Did you know that 40% of NY Giants Fans have household incomes over $100k?
I didn't know that about Football.
Always thought it was the average guy's sport.

$100K/year in Manhattan or Queens is middle class income. Thats comparable to me living here in Greenville, NC where average rent is $550/mth and your average meal costing $4 making $60K/year.

Good stuff MJ, I had to copy and paste into a word document I use for quotes.

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
I can't stand Tom Brady. I'm so glad somebody whooped that arrogant little (*&*(&....

Disclaimer: I'm a big Pats fan

You can hang a lot of labels on Brady, but arrogance isn't one of them.

Biggest lesson learned: When you're on top, everyone is rooting against you. You're held to a higher standard than the rest of the pack and it's nearly impossible to exceed expectations. This is why it's hard to remain on top.

Biggest disappointment: The look in Brady's eyes when the Pats were down late in the game. I didn't see that fire that a winner has when he knows that everything is riding on him and he wouldn't want it any other way. Normally, Brady is that winner and that's one of the reasons that I loved watching him play. Last night it looked like someone else was wearing #12.

dbeck29

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 4, 2008
Great points...

on a side note, CNBC has has a running special on the Patriots as a business and how they are so successful with their new owner. I am far from a Pats fan, but i must say, this was a great special.

you should all mark your calanders to watch it

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22733317/site/14081545/

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
No matter how sure you, him, and everyone else is in a certain outcome...there is always room for surprise.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
The toughest time to perform is when you have already accomplished so much: 18-0 and undefeated, Super Bowl Champs 3x already...

That success can create a sense of cocky-ness that will come back to bite you. No matter how good you are, you can NEVER lose that desire to do more than you did before.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
My favorite story is Eli Manning. He has been getting nothing but shit in the press for the past 4 years. Not as good as Peyton, not a leader, etc. He never ONCE complained or bitched to anyone.

He said last night after the game, "I ignored what people said about me over the past 4 years. I concentrated on what I could control - my work ethic, my dedication and my passion for football. I knew at some point I would lead a team to the championship."

Great lesson. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Concentrate on yourself and keep forging ahead.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
My favorite story is Eli Manning. He has been getting nothing but shit in the press for the past 4 years. Not as good as Peyton, not a leader, etc. He never ONCE complained or bitched to anyone.

He said last night after the game, "I ignored what people said about me over the past 4 years. I concentrated on what I could control - my work ethic, my dedication and my passion for football. I knew at some point I would lead a team to the championship."

Great lesson. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Concentrate on yourself and keep forging ahead.
Great point. I believe it was "Outside the Lines" (or another ESPN show) that had a little piece about Eli's journey. Very inspiring. He earned a lot of my respect from that; he really seems like a good kid.

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA

Well, that's not entirely accurate. He complained and bitched pretty heartily when he got drafted by the Chargers and didn't want to play for a "small market" team.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Well, that's not entirely accurate. He complained and bitched pretty heartily when he got drafted by the Chargers and didn't want to play for a "small market" team.

Yep. As a Charger fan, I have had a great dislike for Eli. He cried like a baby and said he would sit out for a year if the Chargers drafted him.

piranha526

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
So what can we learn from Super Bowl 42 from a business/ organizational standpoint?

If anyone else pulled any lessons from the game, feel free to post them.

Emotional balance: sticking to your game plan! The example comes from the last drive by Eli and the Giants. The Giants never panicked during the playoffs. The same must apply for business and investing. Stick to the game plan and avoid poor emotional decisions when things get tough or when your back is against the wall.

Focus on decisions, not outcomes - I wrote about this last week. The Giants executed their game plan by focusing on their decisions, not the outcomes. The outcome will always take care of itself when the decisiosn are consistent and correct. You may lose but making the correct decisions will make you a winner over time.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Emotional balance: sticking to your game plan! The example comes from the last drive by Eli and the Giants. The Giants never panicked during the playoffs. The same must apply for business and investing. Stick to the game plan and avoid poor emotional decisions when things get tough or when your back is against the wall.

Focus on decisions, not outcomes - I wrote about this last week. The Giants executed their game plan by focusing on their decisions, not the outcomes. The outcome will always take care of itself when the decisiosn are consistent and correct. You may lose but making the correct decisions will make you a winner over time.

:iagree:

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
You can tell from watching the whole game that the Giants just wanted it more!! Just watch this video. These guy never gave up no matter what!! Very inspiring. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5BWzoyzVbc"]YouTube - The David Tyree Catch!![/ame]

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio

Rep+. Very true and very well said.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Lesson 2- if you are an offensive lineman for the patriots, and all night long you have been letting the giants get to brady in hopes of seeing his girlfriend run naked through manhatten, odds are she will welch on the deal, so just try to win.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/4549

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
$100K/year in Manhattan or Queens is middle class income. Thats comparable to me living here in Greenville, NC where average rent is $550/mth and your average meal costing $4 making $60K/year.

Okay, the NY Giants stat was an example.
LOL
15% of Patriots fans have income over $150k.
People in households with income over $100 thousand
are three times more likely to watch the Super Bowl than
people with household incomes of less than $30 thousand.
Viewers are also likely to be active stock traders
and use discount brokerage services.

In other words, the game ain't for Joe Average.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Okay, the NY Giants stat was an example.
LOL
Viewers are also likely to be active stock traders
and use discount brokerage services.

Which explains why Etrade produced these fantastically disturbing ads:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GZfvXx9Js"]YouTube - E-Trade Superbowl Commercial w/ baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJqnitjqpuM"]YouTube - E-Trade Superbowl Commercial w/ baby[/ame]

Last edited:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007

Yep. As a Charger fan, I have had a great dislike for Eli. He cried like a baby and said he would sit out for a year if the Chargers drafted him.

WOW. I totally forgot about that. Haha. You guys are right...

:iamwithstupid:

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
WOW. I totally forgot about that. Haha. You guys are right...

:iamwithstupid:

You aren't alone. The media love-fest for him is pretty myopic as well.

What some people call bitching I would call using leverage. He went from possibly going to a small market team who already had a good QB (Drew Brees) to a large Market team who had a huge hole to fill at QB. It is also important that Eli wasnt really pulling the strings on that deal Archie was.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.