The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

LEGAL WORK: Before or After

TrueCreator97

New Contributor
Dec 16, 2016
Hey Everyone,

I hope you've all had a great start to 2018 and are killing your goals as we move forward in this new year.

I was wondering where you think certain legalities fall in the execution process. The two ones I'm most concerned with initially are incorporation and a trademark for my brand name/logo. I have proven demand for my product through sales to friends and family (many repeat buys, constant orders, etc.) and am ready to move ahead with the manufacturing and marketing. Given that I'm on a limited budget (money and time), I figured it would make more sense to get started with production and accumulate some sales before registering things formally. In the meantime, I could have my manufacturer and those helping me with the creative aspects of the marketing plan sign NDA's.

Curious to see what everyone thinks!

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
NDA's, NDA's, NDA's! Put a confidentiality agreement in place with anyone you are working closely with on anything that has to do with your design, patent, trademark, etc. These aren't expensive. You can find ready to use templates online and usually their lawyers will redline the hell out of them anyway until you come up with something agreeable.

Trademarks are next if you feel you have something that is unique and will wow your target market or be memorable. And if you have plans for global expansion do not forget to register the trademarks in all of your target countries as soon as you have the resources to do so.

I am in global sourcing & supply chain management for my slow lane day job. I negotiate NDA's and contracts every day. While I'm not a lawyer I have pretty extensive knowledge and resources. I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have on them.

TrueCreator97

New Contributor
Dec 16, 2016
NDA's, NDA's, NDA's! Put a confidentiality agreement in place with anyone you are working closely with on anything that has to do with your design, patent, trademark, etc. These aren't expensive. You can find ready to use templates online and usually their lawyers will redline the hell out of them anyway until you come up with something agreeable.

Trademarks are next if you feel you have something that is unique and will wow your target market or be memorable. And if you have plans for global expansion do not forget to register the trademarks in all of your target countries as soon as you have the resources to do so.

I am in global sourcing & supply chain management for my slow lane day job. I negotiate NDA's and contracts every day. While I'm not a lawyer I have pretty extensive knowledge and resources. I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have on them.
I can't say I've got any specific questions at the moment. But based on your experience, do you think that's enough legal protection to have until the production/design process is done and the sales start rolling in? Thanks.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I can't say I've got any specific questions at the moment. But based on your experience, do you think that's enough legal protection to have until the production/design process is done and the sales start rolling in? Thanks.

Personally, I started with my LLC. I felt it was important to put protections in place for my personal assets. If all you are doing is developing prototypes at the moment then I would think NDA's are all you really need. But again, I'm not a lawyer and others may have differing opinions. My opinion is that you should definitely have NDA's in place with any and all of your potential suppliers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom