The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Learning to Fly

Journeyman7

New Contributor
Apr 18, 2019
And after you have spent that $10K, flying is inexpensive. As opposed to $125 per hour wet for a Cessna 172.
That's a great point. Basically just need fuel. Wouldn't a have the same options for travel utility though.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

advantagecp

Contributor
Feb 7, 2015
That's a great point. Basically just need fuel. Wouldn't a have the same options for travel utility though.
That cuts both ways. You can do a lot of things with a paramotor or ultralight that you couldn't dream of doing with a 172. I have traveled a little bit in 100 knot aircraft (Cessna 172 and Bell Jet Ranger). I would rather drive.

THR

New Contributor
Feb 10, 2017
UK
I eventually want to get into paramotoring. Would also be about $10k investment.
I've just been looking into paramotoring: what an amazing thrill it must be.

Here's a video of a guy flying to a deserted island:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adIF-62MmBM

The guy that runs that channel has some other great videos too.

Someone might be able to correct me, but it seems that in the UK it's pretty much unregulated; the standard air law applies - keep 500ft clear of other people/buildings/vehicles unless taking off or landing, keep out of controlled airspace - but no requirement to obtain a CAA license.

As regards simulators: I've been flying in VR using my Oculus Rift and X-Plane 11. It's extremely immersive, I highly recommend trying it!

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Edit: Oh wait, @Kak and others got to it before me.. oh well. Here it is anyway:

This is what I would do, to get a feel for it first:

1568158152988.png

From my experience as a Flight Instructor, IMO the flight simulator is great tool for practice of things like instruments, navigation, even working on communications where I pretend to be the Air Traffic Controller in less stressful environment. Like Abelenky's great answer though, they may never really feel like what it does to have real airflow over the controls [or bounce off the runway]. Long story short it's great for everything (especially emergency procedures) except the real stick and rudder stuff. For that there is nothing like the real thing.

View: https://youtu.be/BPFG9ir5Umw?t=38

I have plenty of experience playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator. It is a very good flight simulator. I would prefer X Plane 10 or 11 as some buttons in the cockpit are restricted in Microsoft Flight Simulator and can be used in X Plane. Further more, X Plane uses calculations to calculate the response of the aircraft. Microsoft Flight Simulator simply uses code simulation
View: https://youtu.be/Um28vtEbG7k?t=79

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 20, 2015
Hong Kong
Learning to fly! Anywhere done it?

I met a girl here in Poland who is one of only 35 women with a pilots licence in the whole country (or so she said ha). It kinda has given me the flying bug.

I have emailed the local flight school to see if I can learn here in English and am waiting to hear back.

Seem it will cost about 10k all in with doesn't seem bad. It would be quite cool to be able to get in a plane and fly with a few people to another country.

I have actually flown copilot on about 10 twin otter flights before so I have a tiny bit of experience but not much.

Has anyone here done their private licence and has some insight/thoughts to share?

Also, I have been looking at the little home simulator setups online and they look super fun to get started.

Yes. I've just submitted my application for a private pilot's license in the UK yesterday. I literally started training from scratch in the middle of June this year, and finished my training and all the skills tests at the beginning of September. It took roughly 2.5 months, but I could have done it quicker, had I studied for the theoretical exams prior to starting my flight training.

I did all my training at a small flying club in Oxfordshire and I was very lucky to have found them, as they were a nice bunch of people who were keen on helping me progress as fast as possible. It's important you find a good school or flying club, who don't rotate instructors too much so that you can have some consistency.

If you're based in Europe, then I'd definitely recommend going for an EASA Private Pilot's License (PPL) with a Single-Engine Piston rating. With this, you're technically free to fly around Europe as you wish.

The minimum requirements and cost for an EASA PPL are as follows (This is almost exactly what I've paid) :

- 45 Hours of Flight training (At least 25 hours of dual flight instruction and at least 10 hours of solo time with a minimum of 5 hours solo cross-country time) (Depends on the aircraft £8000-£9500)
- Pass 9 theoretical exams (multiple choice papers) (£30 each x 9 = £270)
- Pass a Radiotelephony exam (£175)
- Pass a Class 2 Medical (£200)
- Pass an English ICAO test (£130)
- Pass the PPL Skills Test (1.5 hour flight with an examiner) (£150 + Aircraft hire = £400)
- Apply for the license (£230)

I did most of my training in a Cessna 152 and some in a Piper PA28 Warrior. To hire they cost:

£144/hour - Cessna 152
£167/hour - PA 28 Warrior

Plus an instructors fee when you're training. It was £30/hour for most of my training (now £36/hour), but it can vary a bit between schools. Even if you're flying solo, you will still need to be supervised and pay the instructor's fee for whatever flight time you accumulate.

I loved the C152 as it was very light and lively, but it's only a 2-seater and might be a squeeze if you're a bit big and heavy. The PA28 is a stable aircraft with 4 seats and it's not too difficult to fly.

If you can, try to find an airfield that isn't terribly busy, because you'll waste a lot of time and money taxiing. The aircraft hire costs are based on the engine running time, NOT actual flight time.

Most people need 50-60+ hours to get their PPL. However, since I did quite an intensive course and am a quick learner, I finished mine in under 50 hours.

I'd recommend using the PPL Tutor app to study for the theoretical exams, as it's just quicker and many practice exam questions tend to show up in the real exam. You'll need a PPL pack, which will contain some essential equipment and books. I got an AFE starter pack that cost £240 and it came with all the essential textbooks. You may want to get your own aviation headset too which could cost a couple hundred bucks.

I hope this information helps you. If there's anything else you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask me.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I eventually want to get into paramotoring. Would also be about $10k investment.
This is the most appealing flight model to me, because you can basically take off and land where you want.

I'm kinda wondering if getting your flight license is really worth the hassle. I mean, what you can do with it is pretty limited imo:

- Flying near your airport.
- Flying to another airport which is likely in some shitty place somewhere. From there you are dependent on other transport or you can drink some shitty coffee in the airport's bar.

All flyboys are welcome to prove me wrong of course :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom