The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

William Liedner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 11, 2019
And yet do you really learn something if it is "taught to you"? Probably not.

Taught to you means you've been informed. If it's taught by you it means you understand the subject. Correct?

Even though all of those ideas that are taught have been discovered by independent thinkers. People who were able to set their social conditioning aside.

Exactly. - They teach us about their unique ideas they get from thinking independetly. And we get taught their ideas by learning, and teaching others. The latter is vital.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lucasb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 5, 2018
The best way to learn anything is by making a mental map on the subject, activity, skill.

I use the mindmanager a lot, now I am using the mindmeister, I would like to make an application with the exact way that I would like them to be. But both are pretty good.

The tree starts with what you want to learn, and you are adding concepts. For example if it were tennis: four technical sub-rules, rules, equipment, experience. And you are developing ideas in branches and sub-branches. The powerful thing is that doubts always appear, things that are not clear and that is the way to go.
Following with the tree, in technique you would follow with right, reverse, volley, smatch, and then in right the concepts that you are learning, arm the blow, flex legs, finish the execution well, extc.

The idea is that the tree never stop growing, to sharpen, sharpen. Every time you add branches, or run branches you will feel the rise of dopamine. The mental map in the logical tree combines the taking of notes of walterhay, with the relationships of cause and effect of lowtek, those two concepts are powerful.
I also believe that if it is a skill you want to learn, it is 1/4 to accumulate information (work on the map) and 3/4 practice in particular.

The logical tree will indicate where to practice !, and keep in mind that the expert in a subject is one who has already made all the possible mistakes .. we must err and adjust, and only happens in actual practice

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
How come we get taught classes on what to learn, when we didn't get taught how to learn?

Put everything aside. And think about this for a second: How much of my time is being put on how I learn, and what I can do to improve my learning skills for the better?

Lately, I've been thinking about this a lot. I've read so many books. listened to podcasts and put countless hours into watching educational videos. But, for what, exactly?

I've forgotten 99% of what I've learned. And most of what I remember, I barely put to use.

This is, of course, a big issue. I know, not only for me but many entrepreneurs and self-learners out there. I've researched ways to enhance my learning and have already seen results. And it's completely insane how much I've missed. That's been right under my nose.

I've spent my time reading on a subject, thinking I am knowledgable in that area. But quite frankly, I cannot seem to explain the subject in my own words. As Mortimer Adler said, ''The person who says he knows what he thinks but cannot express it usually does not know what he thinks''. - And wow, that's been me in many cases. There is a difference between being informed and understanding the information. Is one book enough on a subject, then 10? Yes - If you handle its information correctly.

Look at your bookshelf, could you pick a book and explain the summary and its key points in your own words, for at least 5 or 10 minutes? Probably not, or?

We get thrown so much information today. We get hit with programmes, facts, videos, books, all kinds of content and we think ''I've become so smart!'' - The thing is, we become a playlist of others opinions that hasn't really gotten into us, for real. It's not about the quantity of information we consume, but the quality of the content we put to use.

___

Fastlaners, what have you done to increase the effectiveness of your learning? How do you learn better? Is there someone you follow that's been helpful? A book?

Please discuss and give ideas. We're all here to be someones helping hand. Hopefully, we can reach a new level of learning that benefits us all.

In my Personal Experience, I learn in big chunks. I will study one subject thoroughly until I have mastered it. I remember people used to tell me to memorize things, and I don't work that way. I just keep learning about one subject, until I feel I know it well enough.

I think some people like to learn a little of this, or learn a little of that, and it becomes scattered information. For example: Say I spend three months learning about Marketing, someone might every day divide up their hours like they did in school.

I'll study Math for an hour, I'll study dutch for an hour, and I'll spend an hour learning English. So what you end up here with is three different languages perse , which your brain is trying just to learn Trigonometry for example, while trying to learn dutch with symbols, meanings, and definitions, and then English is another. While it sounds fun, it might actually hinder you from retaining information correctly or interfering with the other.

I believe it matters if you have an abstract mind or concrete mind. And if you give me something with patterns an clutter, my mind tries to process all the information on page all at the same time. If it's more concrete and has open spaces, with other information, it is quite more easy to retain information.

I'm also a Visual learner (Vlogs, Presentations), Audio Learner (Listening), and Writing stuff down as I go and taking notes.

Other people can handle clutter, patterns, and the business of everything on the page. To me it's a distraction and loses my focus.

I also know high lighters and color coding words helps me retain information, while others may not learn that way and it may bother them.

I have to go over things multiple times and I did this a lot in college, I would have 5 chapters in a test 100 pages each and I would sit hour after hour studying until I learned it in big chunks.

I was a straight A student, and I am also an observational learner, I pick up things fast just by watching others and connecting there emotional, mental, and physical behaviors. A good example of this is my son who used to watch hockey games all the time, when he started playing the first time could mimic all the moves perfectly as a goalie and he never played before.

I laughed at the time, because his team won every game that season and he never played before.
I think the learning techniques are different for everyone.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
One of the best books I've found that has really helped me use my learning abilities in an effective and efficient manner is A Mind for Numbers. It basically teaches you how the brain works and how to best adapt the learning process to its physiology

How to Read a Book is also a very good practical exposition on how to learn from books. At first it may seem very dense, but once you grasp the principle you'll be well suited as an active reader. You'll also be able to approach and read material in different manners, depending on your intended goals, with a higher ROI.

4e7d03de360bcbba564a4a550c5107e279ecfe87110b72e27fa72377711b9b1d.png

William Liedner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 11, 2019
The best way to learn anything is by making a mental map on the subject, activity, skill.

I use the mindmanager a lot, now I am using the mindmeister, I would like to make an application with the exact way that I would like them to be. But both are pretty good.

The tree starts with what you want to learn, and you are adding concepts. For example if it were tennis: four technical sub-rules, rules, equipment, experience. And you are developing ideas in branches and sub-branches. The powerful thing is that doubts always appear, things that are not clear and that is the way to go.
Following with the tree, in technique you would follow with right, reverse, volley, smatch, and then in right the concepts that you are learning, arm the blow, flex legs, finish the execution well, extc.

The idea is that the tree never stop growing, to sharpen, sharpen. Every time you add branches, or run branches you will feel the rise of dopamine. The mental map in the logical tree combines the taking of notes of walterhay, with the relationships of cause and effect of lowtek, those two concepts are powerful.
I also believe that if it is a skill you want to learn, it is 1/4 to accumulate information (work on the map) and 3/4 practice in particular.

The logical tree will indicate where to practice !, and keep in mind that the expert in a subject is one who has already made all the possible mistakes .. we must err and adjust, and only happens in actual practice

And the moment you add something, and the tree grows, you're seeing in real life what improvements you've achieved. Really interesting technique, thanks for sharing.

William Liedner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 11, 2019
In my Personal Experience, I learn in big chunks. I will study one subject thoroughly until I have mastered it. I remember people used to tell me to memorize things, and I don't work that way. I just keep learning about one subject, until I feel I know it well enough.

I think some people like to learn a little of this, or learn a little of that, and it becomes scattered information. For example: Say I spend three months learning about Marketing, someone might every day divide up their hours like they did in school.

I'll study Math for an hour, I'll study dutch for an hour, and I'll spend an hour learning English. So what you end up here with is three different languages perse , which your brain is trying just to learn Trigonometry for example, while trying to learn dutch with symbols, meanings, and definitions, and then English is another. While it sounds fun, it might actually hinder you from retaining information correctly or interfering with the other.

I believe it matters if you have an abstract mind or concrete mind. And if you give me something with patterns an clutter, my mind tries to process all the information on page all at the same time. If it's more concrete and has open spaces, with other information, it is quite more easy to retain information.

I'm also a Visual learner (Vlogs, Presentations), Audio Learner (Listening), and Writing stuff down as I go and taking notes.

Other people can handle clutter, patterns, and the business of everything on the page. To me it's a distraction and loses my focus.

I also know high lighters and color coding words helps me retain information, while others may not learn that way and it may bother them.

I have to go over things multiple times and I did this a lot in college, I would have 5 chapters in a test 100 pages each and I would sit hour after hour studying until I learned it in big chunks.

I was a straight A student, and I am also an observational learner, I pick up things fast just by watching others and connecting there emotional, mental, and physical behaviors. A good example of this is my son who used to watch hockey games all the time, when he started playing the first time could mimic all the moves perfectly as a goalie and he never played before.

I laughed at the time, because his team won every game that season and he never played before.
I think the learning techniques are different for everyone.

Yes, completely laser-focused into one area and master it. I'm the same way. Good for you to find out how you learn the best. As you said, everyone learning different, and it's our responsibility to adapt our personal learning to what's more effective for us.

Fun story about your kid, hope he's still doing great!

William Liedner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 11, 2019
One of the best books I've found that has really helped me use my learning abilities in an effective and efficient manner is A Mind for Numbers. It basically teaches you how the brain works and how to best adapt the learning process to its physiology

How to Read a Book is also a very good practical exposition on how to learn from books. At first it may seem very dense, but once you grasp the principle you'll be well suited as an active reader. You'll also be able to approach and read material in different manners, depending on your intended goals, with a higher ROI.

4e7d03de360bcbba564a4a550c5107e279ecfe87110b72e27fa72377711b9b1d.png

I've seen much about 'How To Read A Book' - It's on my list. Thank you for the recommendations and especially it's value and purpose. The deep why behind learning is very interesting to me and I believe these books will fit perfect. Thank you. :) Will check out more on those

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.