The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning and Making mobile apps using Flutter.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Nassim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 2, 2020
After having thought pretty carefully about many different entrepreneurship venues and looking at my current skill set I have decided to throw myself in the app development buisness.

I already know how to program in multiple languages. Having that as a skill I thought that it would be nice to actually learn how to translate this programming knowledge into actually building apps that normal people would find useful.

I've been looking at many different frameworks to build my apps and I've settled on Flutter which is relatively new. The reason I choose Flutter is because of how easier it is to build user interfaces and mobile apps in general compared to the alternatives. It also gives me the ability to create iOS and Android apps with the same codebase as well as building for the web.

The past month or so I've started with a tutorial on how to build apps with Flutter. Currently I'm 62% in and I hope to finish it pretty soon in order to start building my own stuff.

So this is my plan:
First, learn the specific craft of building mobile apps.
Second, Make couple of small apps that I will put on the play store and sell. Use it as a way to build a portfolio as well.
Third, start to be more market aware when building further apps.
Fourth, start a Youtube channel where I show how I make my small apps. Therefore building a following.
Fifth, write articles about my process. Here again to build an audience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nassim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 2, 2020
Thank you Ramtin.
While I'm learning the craft of mobile development I thought it would be a good idea to share some app ideas to test if they solve a need or not.

Lately I've been thinking of doing an app that would be called MinimalTube.

I'm no expert in copywriting but here is a short description that explains the app to potential costumers.

One line description :
Control how much time you spend on Youtube.

Complete description:
Finding yourself spending hours and hours on Youtube without realizing it?

Want more control on how much time you spend there?

MinimalTube gives you that control.

You simply have to tell it how much time you're wiling to give up and add meaningful videos to a queue.

Once the queue slightly exceeds the time you've allowed, it will lock Youtube for 24 hours leaving you only with access to your queue .

No recommendations, No comments, No distractions.

I came up with this idea because I was addicted to Youtube and was wasting a lot of time on the platform. When discussing this with my entourage I discovered that I was not alone. However no one wanted to quit Youtube cold turkey because they were sometimes still watching valuable content over there. This is why I came up with MinimalTube.

Ramtin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 16, 2018
The Netherlands
I use the standard built in screentime function on my iphone for a max of half an hour for all my social media and youtube. Though it doesn't have the functions you mentioned where you can still watch the videos you've put in the queue. But I wonder if that difference is enough to pull people away from the ease of the built in app in the settings.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Is a great plattaform Flutter. I have been working with it for six months to make a project that run both in iOS and in Android. When I started I was afraid that I have to programmer and maintain two codes, but it run smoothly in both OS. There are always a couple of problems with Flutter because, but nothing that the team behind the project cannot solve with a hotfix.

Nassim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 2, 2020
Ramtin I think that the unique value skew that I propose is the intentionality of selecting Youtube videos prior to watching them. This allows the user to be conscious what videos their willing to spend time on. If you compare this to the current Iphone method, don't you feel pressured to consume as much content as you can in the 30 min window you've allowed yourself? The rushed aspect is what is avoided with my solution or so I think.

It's probably worth a try especially because there isn't this in built function in android devices.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Good luck, I am a native Android developer, Java/Kotlin and I have heard a lot of good things about Flutter and I will get my feet wet later in the year. Have you considered or started a blog to share/track your progress, I have found that by sharing/teaching others what I know helps me to get better. Good luck

aquilarafael

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 31, 2019
I'm using flutter on bank app project. We are 4 devs and the app is running gracefully on IOS and Android.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.