The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead gen business model still viable

VexX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 8, 2012
So after being inspired by MJ and his awesome book I registered a couple sites I thought local businesses could benefit from.

They are pretty easy to get to #1 in google and my sites usually get between 5 and 35 uniques a day.

I figured renting out the websites to clients would be easier than charging them per lead.

A few problems I've come across are that for example, the dentist I was initially helping was already fully booked and therefore couldn't use my website to its full extent. I generated him at least 15 new clients during that month but he still wouldn't sign a contract with me.

Another problem is I am relying almost entirely on my #1 rank at Google to get the traffic I'm getting. So far my websites have not taken any sort of knock from any of the updates, but it is always a possibility. I do pure white hat SEO which helps, but you can't ever be sure with Google.

So I thought this would be such an awesome business model to try out, but it seems like it might not actually be that great in the long term. The problem with my websites being so niche specific is that Google is the only traffic source I can use that gets me anything worth selling.

I also saw a thread recently where MJ mentioned that he doesn't really back the lead gen model anymore so now I'm really confused as to whether I should still try make this work or reinvent myself somehow.

Any advice would really be appreciated. :hl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
For my business, I'm going to be experimenting with the lead generation model, modifying it to fit the Internet atmosphere of the 2010's. Lead gen is still viable but not in the way that MJ did it. (I'm working with plastic surgeons; their need more comes from the need to have an online presence instead of the need to have more clients)

Will lead generation be my primary revenue source? I don't know. All I know is that I'm going to be trying it to see whether my customers (the surgeons) like or need it.

VexX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 8, 2012
Yes, ok it can still work. But in the long run, is this something that will make me money over the next 5 years. Does it still fit the requirements of being fast lane if Google has so much control over me.

I've seen threads on internet marketing forums of guys who lose their livelihood over night due to being sandboxed by the big G.

I am not in it for the quick bucks, I want to start a fastlane business that can eventually make me a millionaire. So is this really something that will get me there?

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Lead generation will be around for as long as businesses have the need for acquiring new customers. This is going to be for a very long time. Every business needs more customers!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
In the insurance industry it seems like lead generation is still viable.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
why wouldn't lead gen still work? i mean who doesn't want more clients... most businesses will want leads all day imo
i also think that local lead gen cann work great but it's another question if it's fastlane... your only source of traffic will be google so you don't really have control over your business

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
I think it will work well. In Norway we have big lead generating sites for almost all niches that needs clients and do manual work.

I think you need to get some new questions to answer:

1. How do I generate leads with other sources than Google?
2. How do I find businesses that needs more leads?

You should search for answers to this questions. The first one could be to get in the local media, a news article, banners on information sites about the same services you generate leads for, hire article writers, Yahoo, Bing? The second could be to setup a seperate page to attract almost failing businesses, that provide good service, but they cant get the grip on marketing.

What if you charge 10 businesses a monthly fee for the service of providing leads? Then send them all lead info, the first one to grab the lead keeps him, so if some of the businesses have a full schedule that week, maybe they need clients the next week? Then expand to a new niche or city.

Keep going! :)

Last edited:

mlangley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 27, 2011
New Hampshire
If Google slaps you, just make a new site and/or use Adwords for traffic if necessary. Or better yet a variety of ad networks and websites. Cover all your bases and it won't matter what Google does.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I also saw a thread recently where MJ mentioned that he doesn't really back the lead gen model anymore so now I'm really confused as to whether I should still try make this work or reinvent myself somehow.

Wait a second....

You said that MJ does not back the lead gen model anymore.

But...

The market is telling you other wise (you are getting leads).

Sorry, but why in the heck do you care what MJ thinks?

The market is the real driver. You are making it work. What other proof do you need?

You got leads for a dentist.
And Patrick already told you to go find another dentist that will pay you for it. (Patrick, Rep++ by the way, great advice)
Go do that and let us know how it goes.

Another problem is I am relying almost entirely on my #1 rank at Google to get the traffic I'm getting. So far my websites have not taken any sort of knock from any of the updates, but it is always a possibility. I do pure white hat SEO which helps, but you can't ever be sure with Google.
It is working for now.

What if you build on top of that?

What if you start creating your own mailing list from these contacts?

What if you start making sure you are also ranking on bing?

What if you start tweeting?

Facebook page?

You are finding a model that is working today, and you are worried about 5 years down the road?

Take the money today.

Learn from it.

Adjust.

Apply the lessons learned.

If you are concerned about the future, save all the profits and have them ready for the next business model that works.

No?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ mentioned that he doesn't really back the lead gen model anymore

I never said this.

I don't back it for the particular industry I was in as I felt it was ripe for "instantization". Even so, that doesn't mean it doesn't work. For some industries, it will always work because there will always be a need for new customers, which will require, new leads.

Lead gen is still viable but not in the way that MJ did it.

You said that MJ does not back the lead gen model anymore.

But...

The market is telling you other wise (you are getting leads).

Sorry, but why in the heck do you care what MJ thinks?

I couldn't agree more.

If the market is telling you "X" and I'm telling you "Y", guess who is right and who is wrong?

VexX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 8, 2012
Getting the leads is pretty easy for me, but selling them is what's hard.

For instance, Dermatologists, there aren't many of them around so most of them are fully booked all the time. This causes people to resort to the internet to find them, then I capture those leads. So now selling them is pretty tough because I have to literally go through each and every dermatologist till I find one that is not so busy.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
So now selling them is pretty tough because I have to literally go through each and every dermatologist till I find one that is not so busy.
Take the Yellow Pages book.
And all the Coupons books you can find around.
And all the Coupons booklets you get mailed at home.

I get these all the time.

Guess what are the number 1, 2 and 3 ads I see all the time?

Dentist
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology services (I include here laser hair removal, dermabrassion, etc etc etc)

If they are paying advertisement in these places then it means they are looking for new patients/clients.

Go talk to those first.

[If this is different in your area then let me ask you, where are you located then??? -- Maybe here in Northern VA we have a surplus of providers, but I doubt it]

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Another thing I've noticed...

Groupon, LivingSocial, and all the others like that?

They send all the time offers for these same services in this area.

Check their names and contact info and contact them too.

It is clear they are desperate for new clients.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.