• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Launching oKickstarter: A premium dress sock that can confidently be worn from the office to the gym

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by powderhound100, Feb 21, 2019.

1. powderhound100

powderhound100 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    After considerable product development, I'm excited to launch say we'll be launching soon (March 5th). We've developed a premium dress sock that's designed to be worn all day, from the office to the gym. They're designed to make life that much easier for the active professional.

You can check out our video and page preview here:
    Introducing the Pro-Formance Sock by ALMI

I've been sharing product development etc. on an insiders thread, but figured I'd put the kickstarter launch info out here.

Rotation-vid-callouts.gif

Excited to get it there and start testing to see what works. We are working with an agency to help with prelaunch and facebook ads for the campaign. Have a press strategy setup and are looking at some other strategies and partners. I'll share here what ends up working out...or no working out.
    Any questions, feedback or suggestions, let me know.

-Jonas

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Tiber, Timmy1990, handog and 29 others like this.
  2. rogainer

rogainer 10 2 10 FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,213
    Super stoked to see the launch Jonas. The socks looked and felt great in person and I'm sure if you can get the right eyeballs on it, it will be a winner.

Roman

3. Greg R

Greg R Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,482
    Congrats man! Rep+ and bookmarked.

Can't wait to see how things turn out.

4. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,606
    I was really impressed by the video you showed me at the meetup a few weeks ago. Stellar job on that!

As I mentioned earlier though, the page loads pretty slow on mobile so you might want to reduce the number of heavy gifs and images and see if you can replace at least some of it with text.

5. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $63,931
    Excited for you and the product. Good luck.

BaraQueenbee and powderhound100 like this.
  6. Zcott

Zcott Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,903
    Really interested to see how this plays out.

Are you marketing to high end professionals? $22 for one pair of socks seems really expensive, but I trust you've done research.

Good luck to you!

BaraQueenbee, powderhound100 and Xeon like this.
  7. powderhound100

powderhound100 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Greatly appreciate that Eskil, just want to confirm, is it the gifs or the whole page?
    Thinking most people will watch the video first, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Got our press release all prepped:
    Anyone know if larger packages are worth the investment: Home - Online PR Media
    Here's our press release: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DsYYvmEb6AMt4MwrhnV-5ERPQ_Wwhk3U2YSrbsnZG1c/edit

BaraQueenbee, Scot and Xeon like this.
  8. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $77,123
    [​IMG]
    There's a typo here - should be "domestic." Also, if your social and environmental beliefs are so important, why not mention it in the main sales copy? Your target audience is probably wealthier people, many of whom are probably interested in supporting ethical companies.

[​IMG]

Another typo - should be "targeted."

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure. Are you allowed to use the logos of other companies when mentioning that the Swiss silver you use is used by Mammut and Prana?

Why only $10,000 as a goal?

9. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Here is our reasoning on price.
    This is a premium product, our goal of $22 was as an anchor to A: show its premium, B: get people to buy multiple (we really don't want to sell single pairs.)
    3 for $45 for example, which brings it down to $15 a pair. Totally reasonable when you look at performance socks.

AgainstAllOdds and Xeon like this.
  10. c4n

c4n Full throttle Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,171
    There is defenitely a market for $22+ performance socks, I'm a regular buyer.

I've been using socks made of two fabric layers daily for years (Wrightsock brand) as I spend a good part of the day in boots. I love it and am interested to see how yours compare.

The main issue I have with the current brand I'm using is they tear up rather quickly - either below the heel or near the toes, where two types of fabric are stiched together.

11. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,606
    The images are the main cause of it:
    PageSpeed Insights

12. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Greatly appreciate you pointing out those typos.

In terms of the logo's, HEIQ uses them on their site so figured it wouldn't be a problem....may be wrong though.

"Why only a $10,000 goal?" That is the minimum amount to hit, not the maximum.

The faster you hit your goal the better for the kickstarter algorithm. We decided $10k because it sounds like a good, realistic number.
    Honestly, I'd prefer to put $5,000 or something so we could hit the goal really quick.

If anyone has thoughts on that matter, would love to hear them.

Scot and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  13. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    We had some issues with that when we tested some really great fibers (like Nylon 6.6) Since the fiber was so fine there were issues at the crossover point. WE used a different Nylon blend and it's cleaner and much more durable.

I tried to upload pictures to explain, but it doesn't seem to be working atm.

c4n likes this.
  14. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,782
    Chop F*cking chop!!

15. Envision

Envision Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $21,638
    Looking forward to it man! Thanks the pair of socks, wearing em on my business trip tomorrow.

16. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $63,931
    Look at stats of previous projects.

Setting a lower goal is the appropriate direction for a product like yours. Once you hit $10k, you have the social proof to go forward. The last thing you'd want is a $100k goal and to raise $91k -- meaning that you get none of it.

$10k goal is appropriate, after which you can rake in as much as possible on Kickstarter and have a solid basis for manufacturing and distributing to retailers (honestly that's where I think the easier money is vs ecommerce for something like socks).

Good luck.

17. Eskil

Rep Bank:
    $49,606
    Yup. I had a relatively low goal (35k) on my Kickstarter too, which definitely helped because of how their algorithm for exposure works. Once the goal was met, it just went upwards from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. SYK

SYK Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,468
    They can be worth it if you’re looking for backlinks, google news indexing and some obscure automated news site pick up. The latter can be used as social proof by including their logos on your Kickstarter page. Don’t expect any major cut through with the mass blast service; individual pitching will be more effective.

I’d also look to bulk out your press release with more detail/stronger angle. And if you haven’t already, get a press kit filled with images, video, graphics and bios hosted online to go with your press release.

All the best with it, will be watching!

19. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Thanks, appreciate your feedback.
    Any suggestions for what type of detail or stronger angle's to go after?

20. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Well shit. We setup to work with Matix labs, have worked on lots of campaigns and had great results in the past. They cut our video into a shorter version and were running facebook lead gen ads... however, the cost per lead has been $6.11....way to high. They haven't really been communicating well either so trying to figure out how to move forward, not at all happy about that.

Got a deal worked out with Backerclub, will update on details later.

Realized we may need some better content, so about to go on a photo shoot to see what we can come up with.

Just put this this add together: Sequence 01Facebook.mp4

21. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,782
    AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  22. Blake_Writes

Blake_Writes Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $321
    One PR strategy to consider (if you haven't)
    When you get a great media hit (ideally something digital that links directly to your kickstarter)
    Throw some paid social behind that article (instead of only driving traffic to your KS page)

Lots of things happen here:
    1) The journalist/platform LOVE YOU, potential for followup article
    2) Their 3rd party credibility skyrockets your CT % rate
    3) Your paid ad probably performs better as people are more likely to CT to read than to buy (lower pressure sales)

--Grain of Salt--
    I just heard this on some podcast the other day as I research my own KS launch (early May)

Best of Luck!

Scot and powderhound100 like this.
  23. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Wish I had a better answer for you.
    Although I may approach this different next time, launching on Kickstarter Tuesday so hoping to sell as many as possible then.

I did have a meeting with a sock store here in San Diego, wasn't the right demographic for our product though. Once the kickstarter's rolling and we start getting product in, will definitely push other channels.

24. ZCP

Rep Bank:
    $26,782
    sell before the socks get here! push all channels at all times
    quit waiting on kickstarter

BaraQueenbee, AgainstAllOdds and c4n like this.
  25. powderhound100

Rep Bank:
    $2,079
    Xeon, AgainstAllOdds and Scot like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.