The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launch First Book Alone or Wait Until Series is Done?

D

Deleted17784

Greetings Self Publishers,

I just completed my first full length fiction novel and I'm ready to publish as soon as I get the cover made. Now I'm reading everything I can about successful launch strategies on Kindle.

One thing I keep coming across is the benefit of having a series. That way you can do a free promo for book one and link to your other books. I have the second book outlined and I suppose I could get it done in a few months then launch both at the same time. But I really want to get this first one published.

What do you think?

Would you just launch the first book on its own or wait until you have at least two books finished in the series?

I have no platform or mailing list. This is my first book under a new pen name. Also, the first book is a stand alone book (not "Part 1") but I plan to continue writing more to make it a series.

Thanks a lot. Much success to you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
I have first book of the series out there and it is really hard to go up the sales, especially when you are new writer and nobody knows that you exists. I would go with the series now. Send me some interesting links on Kindle launch/ promo- thanks :)

D

Deleted17784

it is really hard to go up the sales, especially when you are new writer and nobody knows that you exists.

That's my current situation as well. I've decided I will release the first book alone and make it free. My goal is to get as many downloads and reviews as possible. Also, I will be building my email list so I can let them know when I launch the next books in the series.

I'll share a few youtube channels I found useful. Funny, they both disagree with each other in regards to my question.

I will launch book 1 ASAP so I can gauge readers reactions and tweak anything that needs fixing. Hopefully I will have a decent email list by the time book 2 is ready. Super excited to hit that published button! :thumbsup:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I just completed my first full length fiction novel and I'm ready to publish as soon as I get the cover made.
How exciting!! Congrats on finishing it!!! I know I keep saying this, but just the act of finishing a novel puts you in a select group, compared to the countless people who think, "I'll write a novel someday..." So, BRAVO!!!!

Would you just launch the first book on its own or wait until you have at least two books finished in the series?

How long does it take for you to write a novel? Unless the books are quite long, or they're going to take a year or something, I'd consider releasing it before you get too deep into book#2, and here's why: Right now, you have no idea how well your novel will be received. Some books resonate with readers. Others don't. If for whatever reason, this particular book doesn't grab reader-interest, you're better off knowing before you write more books in the series. That way, you have the freedom to pivot to a different genre or different idea. On the flip-side, let's say this book DOES resonate with readers. It's true that they'll be impatient for the second book, but while you're writing it, you'll still be building your audience through book #1, which will help in the launch of book #2.

Regarding advertising though, I wouldn't spend a ton of time/money/effort on the marketing side until you have at least two books out. Advertising only one book, with no second book available, really reduces your bang-for-advertising buck. I'm not necessarily saying don't do it. I'm only saying that it's best to save your big advertising push for when you have multiple books.

And finally a disclaimer: The above is only my personal opinion. I can see plenty of arguments for the other side. Like for one thing, if you release two books a month apart, you can get a nice ranking boost as they appear in the also-boughts.

I hope you'll let us know what you decide and keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck either way!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I've decided I will release the first book alone and make it free. My goal is to get as many downloads and reviews as possible. Also, I will be building my email list so I can let them know when I launch the next books in the series.

I just saw this next post after responding to the earlier one. Although it's not the exact route I'd take, I can definitely see the logic in your approach and will be interested to hear how it goes. Please keep us posted!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.