@ArthurDayne
I'm leaning towards Mandarin so I'm wondering of those that can speak it, what was your experience learning? Can you read a lot of characters?
I've been watching quite a few online vids, and I actually find the tones quite interesting.
It's a shame that Hong Kong is primarily Cantonese, but as I understand it there are various other dialects on the mainland but most are more or less compatible with each other.
My experience learning was both challenging and very fun. I have about a 3,000 character vocabulary and was writing 5,000 word essays at the end of my time in China. I'd stress that you odn't need to take it to that point in order to be functional, verbally fluent, and get a lot of credit for having learned arguably the world's toughest language (or top 5... let's leave that debate out).
I'd say that unless you have a chance to live in CHina for 6 months or more at some point in the next few years, then it might not be worth the time. I learned in Canada for 2 years before going to China, and it did help learning some beforehand, but if you want it to become something that is a part fo your life/career/business then you really need the immersion experience. As you've seen in this thread, you can learn spanish "from home" so to speak, which is a pro in some ways.
Tones are a "you get it or you don't" thing. You either have good tones from day 1, or nothing... I've never actually seen someone actually improve their tones past the first few months of learning. It's got something to do with musical ability - having an "ear" for things.
Living in HK is indeed lousy for my Chinese! People here can speak it, but they don't *want* to speak it with you. So if you want to learn the language, go to the mainland or Taiwan.
I'm looking forward to @ArthurDayne 's input on Mandarin. The one knock on it as I can tell is the sheer difficulty of being able to read it. Russian wins in that regard.. sure you have to learn a new alphabet, but it's easier than the thousands of Simplified Chinese characters.
Problem is, most Chinese expats speak Cantonese.. not sure how useful Mandarin outside of China would be.
Reading and writing is the kicker. If I had to be perfectly honest, trying to pick it up in any serious way precludes fastlane endeavour. I have spent thousands of hours on rote memorization over the years.
That being said, what's much more realistic is taking the course, doing the basic memorization required in early stage mandarin, and use that as a jumping board for a larger focus on speaking. I don't think going for "full literacy" is necessary at all - In fact I'm convinced it's not. You'll get 99% of the credit and usefulness from being verbally functional.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
