The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Landing Pages

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
I want to have a landing page for each product on my website. I am completely clueless in web development and have paid a college student (thank you Craig's list!) to make all I have now.

If he does not know how to do this, should I consider hiring someone else? Should I pay him to learn? I just wonder if a website is something you do not want too many people messing with...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I would go with somebody that does know what he's doing.
I know that Jorge has been doing that for some time now. Send him a PM and see what he offers.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I would suggest reading up about landing pages. If you know what you want...then you could tell your current developer. I read "Don't make me think", while it is not just for landing pages, everything in the book is geared towards making it easier for a user to do what you want them to do (probably buy something!). So I would suggest that book if you have not already read it. If you have more budget, www.marketingsherpa.com. I guess you could learn the concepts and ideas of landing pages yourself or get the college kid to do it. On something important as this though, I would want to learn the tatics myself.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I'm sure I can help! If the college student can't handle the task, just drop me a PM :)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I'm sure I can help! If the college student can't handle the task, just drop me a PM :)

And I have a HUGE testimonial for landing pages done by Jorge! A good conversion rate from a well designed landing page will get you a return on your investment in a matter of days.

I'm picking up database names like crazy with mine that Jorge did and that was exactly what I wanted to do.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
And I have a HUGE testimonial for landing pages done by Jorge! A good conversion rate from a well designed landing page will get you a return on your investment in a matter of days.

I'm picking up database names like crazy with mine that Jorge did and that was exactly what I wanted to do.

I saw those. They looked pretty good.

Who wrote the sales copy on them? You or Jorge?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This may be a good time for jorge to plug a few links to show us what a well converting landing pages looks like :)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
This is the last one:

URL: www.trustsandwich.com
Conversion Rate: 48,56%

:icon_super:

Thanks! Diane wrote the copy

48%!!! WOW! Is that on the backend upsells too or just opt in?

I must say that those numbers are because of you guys taking advantage of market opportunity (market issue, Diane comes through with an immediate solution). Kudos!:tiphat:

Oh and the landers do look sharp Jorge!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Opt in of course!

Upsell is 18% which is very good too! :)

Thanks for the compliments mtnman!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Jorge and I have an ongoing discussion that occurs on each of the landing pages. My "old school" approach is to always build a database first. Then convert from the database. In fact, I picked up 762 names and I know after 7 years of doing this, that I average $1.5/name/month. So I just picked up another $1200/month in revenue.

The conversion rate of 18% is secondary to me.

So, here's the ongoing struggle - of course, the conversion rate is important. I'd probably get better response on it if I didn't have 2 CTAs - but I just can't give up the database addition, because it's for sure revenue. Plus, I get another shot at selling them whatever my offer is.

I have close to 70K solid email addresses (we purge hard bounces every week, so it's very clean). My goal is 100,000, but it's a very slow build because we are so scrupulous at keeping it very clean. In my seminar business, I find a lot of other promoters who brag about much bigger databases but they are dirty. In fact, many are blacklisted as spammers because they don't get rid of the bounces. So, my database of 70,000 is WAY more valuable than other promoters who have databases approaching 1 mill - more of my emails get through.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
In other threads, I see where people are looking for help in learning how to program their own websites.

Six months ago I didn't know how a Landing Page was different than a website. It's Jorge who pushed me to buy the Landing Page Handbook by Marketing Sherpa. It's the one that sells for $500. Which, I know, is a big gulp in and of itself. But, now here's the kicker - nowhere in the huge book do they tell you how to program.

Putting up a website or a landing page, is more than just knowing how to code. It's knowing where to place the hero shot and the headline. it's knowing how many pixels you want above the break. It's know where and how many CTAs to put in to get the point across without turning into something annoying. On the very successful www.TrustSandwich.com campaign, we even studied possible demographics and figured out what screen resolution they would be using to view the landing page.

The programming was almost an after thought.

For those of you just wanting to get started in eBiz, my suggestion is to be smart about what you want to learn.

Learning how to write copy: conservatively pays $1,000 per hour (probably more, just never really thought about it)

Learning how to program: pays $50 per hour (that's an outsourcing per hour cost)

Where do you want to put your emphasis?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
What are the CTAs? Sorry, my mind is pretty tired at the moment.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Thanks for the great info Diane!

Just a heads up on your businesstoinvestment.com site. I remember reading its not yet really up, but the title looks bad. It's two different font on top of each other...

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I remember reading its not yet really up, but the title looks bad. It's two different font on top of each other...

Hi! Actually, its up & running now.

Could you tell me what browser are you using? I've tested the site on every major browser and found no issues.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Cactuswren, one of the things I've discovered is that frequently your ISP will cache information. Cox is notorious for that, for example.

I have a T1 in my house now, so it's moot - but back when I was using Cox at home, our programmer would make a change and tell me to look. I'd see exactly the same thing and think he was nuts. I'd clear out my personal cache and still no change. That's when we identified that Cox takes a long time to clear it's cache. In fact, when you make a change it can sometimes take a week to propagate across the entire Internet. (Point to remember if you ever run sales - people might not even see it for a week)

I just went off on a tangent here because it was something I found interesting and once I understood it, saved a lot of frustration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.