The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kickstarter Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I have a prototype of a product I have been working on for several months being printed and shipped to me hopefully very soon. I have the patents for it, and im working on some of the kinks in the meantime before I start my kickstarter campaign. One of the pitfalls I can see happening when all my ducks are in a row, is how am I going to drive traffic to my kickstarter campaign?

The marketing for crowd funding seems like it is going to be a completely different ball game. I will only have 30 days to reach my funding goal, all of the funding will have to come directly from the web address from the kickstarter page to reach the goal, and people will have to know about the project or happen to be browsing, and stumble upon it.

So basically what im asking is what type of marketing is ideal for crowd funding? I dont see ppc and fb ads as being a viable option, and a website would have to direct them to the project. I was thinking of doing some link sharing, and promotion on forums if it is allowed, and using forms of social media like twitter,fb,instagram etc. Some input would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for taking your time to read this :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Build up the hype wayyyyyyy before you even launch your campaign. We had a member on here get a lot of support from forum members, family, friends because we were really rooting for his project. Build a crowd of loyal followers asap.

From people I interviewed with their campaigns, they had a lot of success from getting traffic via large media outlets (niche blogs, etc.). Go make friendswith writers as soon as possible

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Build up the hype wayyyyyyy before you even launch your campaign. We had a member on here get a lot of support from forum members, family, friends because we were really rooting for his project. Build a crowd of loyal followers asap.

From people I interviewed with their campaigns, they had a lot of success from getting traffic via large media outlets (niche blogs, etc.). Go make friendswith writers as soon as possible

I am working on a fitness product for the record, and i have been apart of the bodybuilding.com forum and have several friends there, so i can really see that as a possible outlet. I guess the next most logical step would be to make friends with niche blog writers like you said, and try and get as much people rooting for this too. I cant remember the users name but didnt he make an adult big wheel? Also thanks for the response. It was definitely a help. :)

em1L

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
May 19, 2013
Sweden

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Get guys with big email lists in the industry to send out a blast when you launch your kickstarter, or if you have a really good relationship, send them to an advance page and start building the hype ahead of time. You might have to write a check to make that happen, but that is your market, and an email if it gets opened gives you enough room to tell your story.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Get guys with big email lists in the industry to send out a blast when you launch your kickstarter, or if you have a really good relationship, send them to an advance page and start building the hype ahead of time. You might have to write a check to make that happen, but that is your market, and an email if it gets opened gives you enough room to tell your story.

This is what i have been reading alot of in the research im doing now. Basically what it boils down to is find influence in the market, and use it to gain more traffic. Whether it be a blog, youtouber, website, etc. I was also seeing a lot of stuff saying to target people directly, so every little bit does count.

Now heres the dillema im having. Do i show my product before the kickstarter campaign or do i keep it vague? I want to have everything i can get in line ready before i start, and I do have patents, but having a copycat joining the scene would set me back pretty far even if I am the first.

So anyone please chime in if you will. Should i reveal the product before the campaign, such as showing pictures and the name and logos, and the prototype, and all that great stuff?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
You can certainly use a veiled approach to developing buzz. If your product helps bodybuilders gain muscle mass faster, get a domain that has an outrageous claim as the name, like, bodybuilders-get-huge-faster-than-ever.com, then put a countdown counter and an email form, and social share buttons on the page with some of your benefits and tell them to signup to learn when it will be released. Use it purely as a pre-release domain, then after you launch forward all the traffic to your regular site.

The other way is to go big and make the competition think you are so far down the road (if they ever learn about your product) that they don't even think it is worth the effort and you have all the patents and production ready to go.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
You can certainly use a veiled approach to developing buzz. If your product helps bodybuilders gain muscle mass faster, get a domain that has an outrageous claim as the name, like, bodybuilders-get-huge-faster-than-ever.com, then put a countdown counter and an email form, and social share buttons on the page with some of your benefits and tell them to signup to learn when it will be released. Use it purely as a pre-release domain, then after you launch forward all the traffic to your regular site.

The other way is to go big and make the competition think you are so far down the road (if they ever learn about your product) that they don't even think it is worth the effort and you have all the patents and production ready to go.

hmmm pre release. I like the idea but i havent really seen it done before with such a veiled approach. I may have to just try this or go all out. Is there a middle ground anywhere in between? Also thanks a ton for your time.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I like the idea but i havent really seen it done before with such a veiled approach.
Sure you have, those really early release movie trailers about some movie coming in 18 months, where they don't even tell you the title, they just have the Superman logo, or some really cryptic reference to what the movie is.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Sure you have, those really early release movie trailers about some movie coming in 18 months, where they don't even tell you the title, they just have the Superman logo, or some really cryptic reference to what the movie is.

I have seen that but i am just lacking the creativity to see the big picture of a veiled pre release for a product. Im starting to think i should just hit the release as hard as possible.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm going down this same path here very soon. Got lots of great insight from @AndrewNC and @RealOG about it while at B&P over the weekend.

Prepare, build hype, build lists, and create buzz and curiosity (tons of ways this can be done). Then launch!

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I'm going down this same path here very soon. Got lots of great insight from @AndrewNC and @RealOG about it while at B&P over the weekend.

Prepare, build hype, build lists, and create buzz and curiosity (tons of ways this can be done). Then launch!

Best of luck too you. Im in the prepare stage right now, and i can see the build lists stage coming soon. The buzz, curiosity and hype is my weak point though. My product is very similar to the blender bottle which is a protein shaker cup http://www.blenderbottle.com/ and im just not sure how i can build up hype for this product. Im looking for something to kickstart my brain into the building curiosity, and hype mindset but im not having any luck unfortunately :/ I did get some books from the library though that may help. I got the "call to action", and im hoping it will have some marketing insights that i can apply.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
The buzz, curiosity and hype is my weak point though.
In the middle of the page of your link, they have a line "Smooth Tastes Good" if you put a line similar to that (something that expresses why your product is needed/accomplishes) in the middle of a landing page, and below it said, sign up to learn more and had an email signup, that would start the curiosity cycle.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
In the middle of the page of your link, they have a line "Smooth Tastes Good" if you put a line similar to that (something that expresses why your product is needed/accomplishes) in the middle of a landing page, and below it said, sign up to learn more and had an email signup, that would start the curiosity cycle.

So basically try and create a page that insites curiosity, and have them sign up for a mailing list that will direct them to the sight for the campaign at a later time? Sounds great. The marketing and turnover for visitors sounds like it will be difficult but it will be better than having nothing. Thanks a ton.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.