The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Keeping the FIRE

Anything related to matters of the mind

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I know everyone has motivation problems at times.

I've noticed I go from completely unmotivated, to days like today where I feel I have this burning desire to get shit done.

I want to keep this fire, but I just don't know how. I even went to the summit last year, but I feel like all my fire has fizzled away.

How do you guys keep the fire?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MyNameIsMarcel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 23, 2018
Poland/Sweden
I know everyone has motivation problems at times.

I've noticed I go from completely unmotivated, to days like today where I feel I have this burning desire to get sh*t done.

I want to keep this fire, but I just don't know how. I even went to the summit last year, but I feel like all my fire has fizzled away.

How do you guys keep the fire?

I had before same problem, then i started to do something with it, i went to gym training about 3 times in week and i decided to start my every day by cold shower, it’s something that is boosting my energy and motivation during my day.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I had before same problem, then i started to do something with it, i went to gym training about 3 times in week and i decided to start my every day by cold shower, it’s something that is boosting my energy and motivation during my day.

Cold shower idea is not bad. I haven't been showering until later in the day since I work from home now but I think that may have messed up me having a schedule quite a bit. I've also been waking up a lot later than I used to be and that may be a factor.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Cold shower idea is not bad. I haven't been showering until later in the day since I work from home now but I think that may have messed up me having a schedule quite a bit. I've also been waking up a lot later than I used to be and that may be a factor.
Discipline Equals Freedom. Even if you work from home, it's still best to keep to a routine/schedule. Read the Power of Habits by Charles Duhigg.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Discipline Equals Freedom. Even if you work from home, it's still best to keep to a routine/schedule. Read the Power of Habits by Charles Duhigg.

Haha I've read that book! Just completely forgot about it to be honest. Definitely will skim through it again.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've noticed I go from completely unmotivated, to days like today where I feel I have this burning desire to get sh*t done.

What are you working on?

When you have a focused problem to solve, motivation shouldn't be an issue.

If it is, you're not solving the right problem, or aren't solving a problem at all.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Your goals demand you have discipline which is essentially the same as demanding you do 100 pushups when you can’t even do one.

Megan Kay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Nov 27, 2018
I find that I have to be pretty strict about accomplishing the important things earlier in the day. I have a lot on my plate, all from home, so juggling it all requires automation where possible and commitment to working on business stuff early in the day when my brain is fresh and energy highest.

A lot of people like checklists or schedules. I like to think about my day at the end of it, figure out what didn't get accomplished and plan out my strategy for the next day so I can start with a clear idea of what I want to do that day.

If you're unmotivated, you might be looking at too large a picture. Break it down into small chunks that are easy to accomplish. Accomplishment is motivation in itself.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
stay healthy, the better u feel, the more motivated u naturally become.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
What are you working on?

When you have a focused problem to solve, motivation shouldn't be an issue.

If it is, you're not solving the right problem, or aren't solving a problem at all.

I keep starting things then everytime I think they're a bad idea I quit. I also don't think I've been solving real problems but rather chasing money and that doesn't help at all.

G

Guest61835

Meaning and purpose at least are what get me out of bed. Cause I have zero motivation to actually get up. I choose to because of the why. Motivation is useful when needed for specifics at least in my book. Discipline keeps you in line. Motivation fades.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Try starting on a smaller problem. Something that matters, but something you can make a patch for in a few weeks. If you can build a small audience with something like that, you can move on to incrementally more ambitious solutions. The big motivation will come from getting to the point where you actually solved someone's problem. So the sooner you get to that point, the better.

You can also find motivation in the incremental successes along the way. In fact, you should set out to find motivation there. Quote from The Motivation Myth, by Jeff Haden:

"Following a process that does not yield short-term results, much less long-term results, is extremely demotivating."

Particularly in reference to short term results, I believe this. It's related to habit, as some others have mentioned. The point is, you should write your to-do lists and recurring activities so that you're sure to have some successes. If everything is a reach into the far future, there is no "completion" reward to reinforce your daily activities. Without that reward, those activities will cease, or become a tax on your will. Willpower only gets you so far... it's for short bursts and emergencies, not daily activity.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
To quote Nike, 'just do it.'

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You have to want to do it. I'm not sure how to tell you how to get to that point. But, everything that I have done was because there was that "want".

Success17

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 5, 2018
Haha I've read that book! Just completely forgot about it to be honest. Definitely will skim through it again.

Have you read the Essentialism? Short summary: most things in life are completely unimportant. Once you have distilled what truly matters and what doesn't you will have more than enough time and energy for things that matter to you. Motivation come to those who work hard on something meaningful.

Hope this helps.

Roman

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.