The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just moved: Register my LLC with California?

Jerbear1212

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 25, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Trying to get business LOC and have now had two lenders want me to register my IL LLC (e-commerce) with State of CA. Not sure how long I'll be living here so would prefer not to if there's any way - but I also need the LOC/Loan. Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Trying to get business LOC and have now had two lenders want me to register my IL LLC (e-commerce) with State of CA. Not sure how long I'll be living here so would prefer not to if there's any way - but I also need the LOC/Loan. Thoughts?
There is no way to avoid this if you are a CA resident.

The only other option is apply for the loan in IL.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

And even if you apply in IL, if the LLC is commercially domiciled in CA you still need to register in CA. Commercially domiciled includes directing the operations of your company.

Jerbear1212

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 25, 2014
Kansas City, MO
And even if you apply in IL, if the LLC is commercially domiciled in CA you still need to register in CA. Commercially domiciled includes directing the operations of your company.

Appreciate your comments. I do know two large e-commerce sellers I have met here in San Diego who told me they have never registered in CA and have NV LLC's. The rub for me is trying to get the LOC so I suppose I will have to.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Appreciate your comments. I do know two large e-commerce sellers I have met here in San Diego who told me they have never registered in CA and have NV LLC's. The rub for me is trying to get the LOC so I suppose I will have to.

They prob don’t “live” in CA.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I haven't applied for an LLC in another state. But I do recall that an attorney gave me information on how to do this at one point. You should contact an attorney that specializes in LLC's for information.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I haven't applied for an LLC in another state. But I do recall that an attorney gave me information on how to do this at one point. You should contact an attorney that specializes in LLC's for information.
Unfortunately California is very strict on this.

He could get away with a NV or other state LLC if he's under the radar, but if he lives there they will require the IL LLC to register as a foreign entity for a loan approval.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I just went through this a couple of months ago with a client.

We formed a WY LLC for their business. Later they decided they wanted to apply for an sba loan.

Because they lived in CA, we had to register their WY LLC as a foreign entity in CA.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just provide the information. Since you aren't my client, what you choose to do (or not do) with that information is ultimately a business decision on your end, taking into account the amount of risk you are comfortable with.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Because they lived in CA, we had to register their WY LLC as a foreign entity in CA.

And I'm sure none of that will matter when it comes tax time. The cows need to be milked.

If you take one step over the border into CA to take a shit, expect the Franchise Tax Board to come after you for some BS tax. Yes, they are that ridiculous.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
And I'm sure none of that will matter when it comes tax time. The cows need to be milked.

If you take one step over the border into CA to take a shit, expect the Franchise Tax Board to come after you for some BS tax. Yes, they are that ridiculous.
Ha! When I left CA seventeen years ago, they sent me a letter explaining why they had the right to tax my retirement savings. Are you kidding?! They did not though and did not get any of it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When I left CA seventeen years ago

OMG, and that was 17 years ago!! I guarantee today you wouldn't be getting off so easily. They'd force you to hire a tax attorney and once you endure that process and expense, they'll hope you acquiesce by picking the lesser of the evils, "Give up" or "Continue to pay an attorney $500/hour so the tax board can continue their harassment."

(If anyone can tell, YES I'm bitter and YES I have a history with them -- and I've been to California ONCE in the last decade, but yea, that never stopped their vampires from trying to tax you on something.)

TheOwl8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Dec 5, 2013

Just to add some clarity, if you do business in CA you are required to register to do business in CA, whether or not you are a resident of the state. Technically, if you are sitting on your laptop drinking a coffee and 'managing' your business while you are in CA, that constitutes CA business because you are conducting business activity in CA. Even if all of your inventory/employees/whatever/etc is out of the state.

Usually the best way will be to register as a foreign entity, assuming you already have a business entity created in another state.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.