The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just joined and have perhaps a common issue you guys could perhaps comment on

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Hi all,

First of all I've read Millionaire Fastlane and about 50 pages from the end of Unscripted . Brilliant books and exactly what I was looking for.

So thank you MJ for taking the time and effort to write them. You are changing so many lives assuredly.

My quandary is this:

I am great at having ideas and have lots of them. Some of them I believe could be potentially very good. My issue is 'idea paralysis' and getting stuck in the idea phase and always over analysing and over questioning my ideas and not ever taking action on one of them. I'm a Philosophy major so that may explain part of why I get stuck like this. It taught me to to see the validity in everything and that everything is grey and not black and white. I think to start a business one must have conviction and I can always point to several logical reasons why it won't work. There is always a counter argument in Philosophy and that's why it's circular and why Psychology was invented as they were so sick of Philosophy being so circular!

And in affect that's what I do, go around in circles. I'm desperate to break out of this cycle and take action.

I have two questions I hope someone can answer:

1) How does one know when the idea they have is actionable? What feeling or even logical reasons does one get to to say to themselves, "yep this is absolutely the idea I must take action on."? Was it a gut feeling for those of you started a business already? Or was there a list of criteria it had to satisfy?

2) I guess my fear is always wasting time on a bad idea. I want to put my efforts into good ideas that may actually go somewhere. Is it just a case of you don't know until you try? And in my case where my tendency is overthinking it and doubting myself and the idea too much, is it best for someone like me to just jump in the deep end with one of my ideas and just seeing if the net will appear?

I hope that all makes sense and thanks for anyone who took the time to read this!

Cheers,
Alex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sam9530130

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Dec 29, 2016
Canada
You have to stop defining yourself as a Philosophy major and make it an excuse as to why you're overthinking. You're overthinking because it's the "easy" way and you're scared of failing and not just wasting time. You also have to reframe "fear of wasting time on an idea" to "fear of NOT taking action and learning".

Think about where you will be in 10 or 20 years if you just never get out of your comfort zone. That thought should be what you fear the most and it should drive you to go out and get out of your comfort zone, talk to potential customers to validate your ideas, etc... If it fails, you should at least learn something so it won't be considered a waste of time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How does one know when the idea they have is actionable?

Many times you don't know which is why it's a risk, and why failure happens a lot.

Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.

D

Deleted50669

Hi all,

First of all I've read Millionaire Fastlane and about 50 pages from the end of Unscripted . Brilliant books and exactly what I was looking for.

So thank you MJ for taking the time and effort to write them. You are changing so many lives assuredly.

My quandary is this:

I am great at having ideas and have lots of them. Some of them I believe could be potentially very good. My issue is 'idea paralysis' and getting stuck in the idea phase and always over analysing and over questioning my ideas and not ever taking action on one of them. I'm a Philosophy major so that may explain part of why I get stuck like this. It taught me to to see the validity in everything and that everything is grey and not black and white. I think to start a business one must have conviction and I can always point to several logical reasons why it won't work. There is always a counter argument in Philosophy and that's why it's circular and why Psychology was invented as they were so sick of Philosophy being so circular!

And in affect that's what I do, go around in circles. I'm desperate to break out of this cycle and take action.

I have two questions I hope someone can answer:

1) How does one know when the idea they have is actionable? What feeling or even logical reasons does one get to to say to themselves, "yep this is absolutely the idea I must take action on."? Was it a gut feeling for those of you started a business already? Or was there a list of criteria it had to satisfy?

2) I guess my fear is always wasting time on a bad idea. I want to put my efforts into good ideas that may actually go somewhere. Is it just a case of you don't know until you try? And in my case where my tendency is overthinking it and doubting myself and the idea too much, is it best for someone like me to just jump in the deep end with one of my ideas and just seeing if the net will appear?

I hope that all makes sense and thanks for anyone who took the time to read this!

Cheers,
Alex
Alex, your message resonates with me quite a bit. I have the same analytical tendency coming from a heavy research background. The problem with analysis is simply that you are contemplating how to create value, instead of creating value. You can look at the rock and question if it's heavy enough to make ripples, or you can wing it across the pond and watch the ripples. You may not want to hear it's that simple - I sure as hell didn't - but it's that simple. Execution is not as sexy as thought experiments and strategic planning. But you know what's sexy? Getting your first client / customer, and making them happy by solving a problem, or helping them do it better than they are already. That's when momentum happens.

1) An idea is actionable when you talk to a customer and hear that they need what you're offering.
2) It's a case of, don't think, act. You are used to thinking down to the granularities of idea. Pick up the concepts enough to act.. and act. Then assess. Then, if necessary (will be necessary), adjust. Just like MJ told us ;)

- Cheers

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Change your perspective from wasting time on a bad idea to don't waste a good idea on your inexperience.
Do something relatively easy or fun get some experience and score a win.

Ok so that answers my question that I should perhaps find a fun and easy one and score a win. I like the philosophy of not wasting a good idea on my inexperience! Very good thinking. Thanks Jon

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Alex, your message resonates with me quite a bit. I have the same analytical tendency coming from a heavy research background. The problem with analysis is simply that you are contemplating how to create value, instead of creating value. You can look at the rock and question if it's heavy enough to make ripples, or you can wing it across the pond and watch the ripples. You may not want to hear it's that simple - I sure as hell didn't - but it's that simple. Execution is not as sexy as thought experiments and strategic planning. But you know what's sexy? Getting your first client / customer, and making them happy by solving a problem, or helping them do it better than they are already. That's when momentum happens.

1) An idea is actionable when you talk to a customer and hear that they need what you're offering.
2) It's a case of, don't think, act. You are used to thinking down to the granularities of idea. Pick up the concepts enough to act.. and act. Then assess. Then, if necessary (will be necessary), adjust. Just like MJ told us ;)

- Cheers

That's great - thanks 404profound. I think it helps to know other people suffer this same affliction! I guess that's why plenty of people are here in fact.
Having just one or two customers that want or need what I'm offering. And just drag myself into action is basically it. And adjust, adjust, adjust...

My main idea right now is an app. Anyone got any thoughts on the relative ease or difficulties of creating apps? I don't mind if its hard but any insight from someone already ventured into this area would be invaluable...

Cheers

D

Deleted50669

That's great - thanks 404profound. I think it helps to know other people suffer this same affliction! I guess that's why plenty of people are here in fact.
Having just one or two customers that want or need what I'm offering. And just drag myself into action is basically it. And adjust, adjust, adjust...

My main idea right now is an app. Anyone got any thoughts on the relative ease or difficulties of creating apps? I don't mind if its hard but any insight from someone already ventured into this area would be invaluable...

Cheers
"drag into action" is an excellent metaphor here. I dragged myself kicking and screaming into helping someone without having a website, without having full confidence in my ability, and without even having a strategy in place. I just found someone struggling, knew I could help them, and reached out. Now I'm building a website to expand on that service, instead of to introduce it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Cheers

Starting an app today would be like going to
Sutter's Mill in 1855.

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Starting an app today would be like going to
Sutter's Mill in 1855.

Haha love the wit Jon. However could you expand upon your historical reference? I am not familiar with it...

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Say no more fam,
LMGTFY

Here's me guessing you're under 25? Haha. Wait you mean I could use google to find out? Well I never. The reason I'm here chum is to interact with other members. And whilst I can check google for everything under the sun I would rather get the interesting guy called Jon who mentioned it to tell me - if he's willing to of course. Newsflash: sometimes it's more satisfying to get answers from another human being than an inanimate object.

doddy9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 28, 2013
Many times you don't know which is why it's a risk, and why failure happens a lot.

Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.
Act until echo.

Thanks MJ. I guess your point is to act, act, act! I am slowly getting this. Takes me longer than some others maybe.

Very quick question with me being new here and you seemingly having read my intro post - which threads do you think I should read the most on here? There seems so many on here and would like to zero in on the most profitable. Unless of course you think I should just read them all?! :)

Cheers

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Haha love the wit Jon. However could you expand upon your historical reference? I am not familiar with it...
The California 1949 gold rush was pretty much over by 1855.

StartToday

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Sep 22, 2017
Between Goku's strong thighs
"Here's the bottom line: everyone has an imaginary companion who'll be with you your entire life. His name is Fear.

If you allow this companion to take control of your life, then he'll put you in a straightjacket.

But Fear can also be your loyal companion. When you hop on the wild roller coaster of life, engaging in an infinite number of exhilarating undertakings, Fear will come along with you.

He won’t get in your way, but he’ll always be there as long as you’re doing new things. When you feel fear, it’s a sign that you’re doing something new and exciting."

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Its pretty simple- Stop being a pussy and just start taking action

If your 1st idea fails (which it likely will) who cares-I dont, your real mates don't, no one else in the world cares either-Only person that cares is your EGO

So in summary get over yourself

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Its pretty simple- Stop being a pussy and just start taking action

If your 1st idea fails (which it likely will) who cares-I dont, your real mates don't, no one else in the world cares either-Only person that cares is your EGO

So in summary get over yourself

bugsybunny

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 2, 2016
I don't think you should go by a gut feeling. That implies that you are just guessing. If you think you have an idea, do some market research. Find out EXACTLY who your target prospect is. Then find out how many of them there are. Then find a way to target them.

You don't have to have a product to test the market.

All you need some marketing skills.

The basics are easy to acquire...but they're not free. You'll either have to pay with money or with time. Pay someone to test the waters for you, or invest time into learning how to test the waters yourself.

If you get a positive response from the test, and it looks like you'll make a profit...scale your advertising! Fatten up your bank account and get ready for it to EXPLODE!! Just imagine:

• Spend 6 months out of the year in a tropical paradise!!!
  • New wardrobe, new car, new man! (Imagine what your friends will say when they see the new you)
  • Fine dining. Every-night.
  • What's better, you can pay for all of these things with pride, as a respected new owner of the American Express BLACK card. Made from solid titanium.
...oh yeah, I forgot to mention something. Before you do any of this stuff:

Create your product first. (After you test the market)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...