The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey To One Hundred Thousand in 12 Months.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Ah yes I remember that. And MJ's right... $1.2 Million or $1.5 Million isn't a lot of money after all the expenses involved.

And I do see what you mean posting that after I said I want a M6 and Audi R8... I was thinking the same thing actually, I don't really need to spend 250k total on 2 cars. If I had that 250k right now, I would have salesmen and already be on my way to a few million a year.

I just know I need a new car, am in school right this moment as I'm typing this, waiting for class. My car, a rusty 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse I have had since high school had no heat, the car is in Drive and Neutral at the same time somewhat, trans has issues and jerks back when passing the 20-25 mph mark, you know the gear changer in the middle of the car, from N, to D, R, and so on?... that isn't even there, ie. it is basically a plastic pencil piece I have to use a pencil to push a white piece inside it (250$ to fix), ex thinks I'm lazy for not getting a new car, or fixing it, and everything else in regards to it. Shes got a normal job, nice car and so on, and here I am with nothing.

M6, Audi R8... any car that has wheels and is comfortable to drive I'll take. You are right, I shouldn't squander the money on a car when one that is half price at around 50-60k can work just as fine. But...if that is the case I'm still going to buy 2 cars. What else could I need? A house? ..my house is the biggest one on my block, 12 foot ceilings, garage, pavers, walls around it and so on... what else is there...A house, a car. Then vacation/traveling and off to starting/growing more businesses.

I just do not want to have to go anywhere with a car people laugh at. I do not want to have to cringe when I'm out on a date and the dinner bill comes out to +200$ . I love fine dining, food is a passion, especially desserts. I'm a lean guy (Thank god for this), I can eat anything I want and not gain a pound.

---
Yes $1.5 Million is my goal by December next year.

But "$1.5 Million" is just a stepping stone.

I want to help my parents, make my father retire already, construction is a cumbersome field.

I want to be able to not have to look at a price tag. I want to go to the mall and buy what I see through the window. I want to be able to feel the fine fabric against my skin and smell how new clothes smell. Perhaps buy some cologne and dash through the mall with a smile on my face because of how good it makes people feel to walk by someone that smells soo fine and clean.

I want to feel the warmth of a beautiful lady, next to me on fresh bed sheets. I want to slowly get up, without waking her up, and walk up to the sliding door and out on the balcony of a hotel room, looking out at the Eiffel tower. I want to feel the cool breeze and sunshine against my face as I smile and think over how grateful I am for finding this forum and having read MJ's book.

I want her to come up behind me, kiss me in the sunshine on the balcony and go out to the peak for pictures. I want to then take a plane with the worlds best company by my side and fly to Venice. Have wine at my favorite restaurant. I want to have dinner on a boat, serviced with delights beyond my imagination and our favorite desserts.

I want to look into her eyes, and look at her flaring eyes of lust and happiness. I want us to smile and be free from time and worries. I want a life, a real life!

Most of all...I want to sleep. To sleep like a baby. I want to close my eyes and not have a single thought of money in mind or a single thought at all.

Give me that! Give me that just as I had it when I was younger!
Let me be absolved of my mistakes and let me learn from them! Let me take action towards a goal! A goal free from the necessity and instead a goal towards bliss.

This $1.5 Million, will lead to 5 Million next year! That 5 Million will lead to 10, then 20. And 50 Million. So help me, - to the body I am in, and the mindset to encumber it. Help me get what I want, or I would not have lived life at all.

Forget what I said about not buying a R8 or M6... I will get one of them. It will take time, but I want it! One day, I will post bank records and will show you, my earnings, and I will show you the exact withdrawal for the car, and then I will show you the car. I want to. If I do not get what I want, it is my fault, no one elses. I want to succeed.

--
Oh my, soo many I wants :/

And where are you NOW?

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I know what I say, will be a disappointment. And it is because I am disappointing myself as well that makes me want to just drop this, that makes me wish I didn't start this thread because now I am "failing," and in front of everyone reading this.

My last post was on Dec. 15, 2013. My last class was on Dec 19th I think. From Dec. 19th to now, the 11th of January...this is what I have done : /

1. Spent time readjusting the dam sales script. (excuse for not taking real action-making sales calls)
2. Spent time adjusting the dam site. (excuse again
3. Spent time doing other garbage which had no relation to the business. (I rationalized, going to the movies and hanging out with ppl as "okay"..when I should be spending 8-5 every M-F making sales calls)
4. Came up with excuses as to why I can't start ..."Oh shit, I need to go grocery shopping"...I get back home 2 hours later, put the things away, look at the clock and "CRAP I wasted my entire day, I can't make sales calls."
5. Spent a few days away from home for the holidays, for Christmas spent my time with a lovely beautiful young lady...(I guess this is acceptable since it was a holiday ??...I know it sucks).
6. Spent a few hundred on dinner and a few more hundred $ on a present for that same lady...Got her a diamond silver studded bracelet, and matching earrings. ( I still spend money where I know I shouldn't, especially if my bank account basically reaches 0$ by the end of the month.
7. .... Wasted time, again...helping my father out with his company.
8. Wasted more time helping him with his company... (spent 6 days so far, and will spend another 5-8 days... until the 23rd (the day I start school again, DAM THIS, by now I should have at least 12-13 sales, earning me 2.5k monthly.
9. I spent absolutely NO TIME on my own business doing what I need to do, which is-making sales calls.... :/ (I AM VERY PISSED AT MYSELF FOR THIS).

I would have loved to come back and say "Oh yes! I made 28 sales, and make an extra 5,543.$ a month because of it, so I rented office space, and hired a salesmen, thats making sales calls and getting sales at least once every 2 days." But...I would be cheating myself if I did.

---
My noticeable issues...
1. I come up with excuses as to why I can't sit there and make sales calls.
2. I feel like garbage when I just say 1 sentence on the phone and get hung up on...leads to me just walking out the room and doing something else.
3. I spend money where it should not be spent...(I am even called a cheap numerous times... Been called cheap just twice just within these last 3 days... I think its because I know I don't have the money to spend, so why should I be spending it? They think I have $, in reality, I have a positive balance every first week of the month and negative balance every end of the month (because of credit cards that have insane 24% interest rates.... This adds up A LOT when you have a balance that reaks).
4. I am spending time doing things for "other people" and helping "them" ...ie, fathers company, if I went by to help that's $120-$150 a day. When I should be on my computer, on the phone making sales calls.

5. I LACK SOMETHING or SOMETHING IS HOLDING ME BACK, I don't know what in the world it is, but I know its there, and its because of that something, that I just "failed" my goal of making sales by the 23rd of this month to sustain an office and a paid salesmen + commission.... I am hating this.

---

New goal:
1. Go to a sports store.
2. Buy a bat.
3. Break my leg with the bat.
4. Get stuck in front of a computer with a phone, and nothing else to do, so I can do what I need to do.

I don't know what the hells up with me. I need the money, I have the service. It works, its perfect! But I am the .... fill in the blank here...

I hate myself for having to update a thread on my failure.

Serious new goal... tomorrow is Sunday, if I don't have to do something for someone (ie, help my father out again)... I want to sit there and make dam sales calls.
Anyone else see how I feel I must help him? But also despise doing so? (edit, maybe another excuse for myself)

Thanks for reading my months worth of failure.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Stop feeling sorry for yourself you f*cked up this month so make the next month twice as good. Stop being afraid of failure and pick up the damn phone because if you dont you're going to fail again. We're all here cheering for you but its up to you if you want to succeed or not. Next update I want to read about how you killed it and I think you have the power to make that happen.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Lagron, Think of that as your December break. Get back to work!

Cant you outsource sales first until you have some money to do it in house?

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Stop feeling sorry for yourself you f*cked up this month so make the next month twice as good. Stop being afraid of failure and pick up the damn phone because if you dont you're going to fail again. We're all here cheering for you but its up to you if you want to succeed or not. Next update I want to read about how you killed it and I think you have the power to make that happen.
Thanks for the push towards taking action, I will surely fail if I don't pick up the phone. Next month ends update, I'll make sure I killed it, and will definitely post on the developments.

Lagron, Think of that as your December break. Get back to work!

Cant you outsource sales first until you have some money to do it in house?
I have thought of this...there is a service provider that offers a service to the clients we target. If I can get them to "promote" our service, which aids that same client, while this service promoter receives commissions for doing so, I think I would be getting a a good number of extra sales a month.

I have also thought of outsourcing the sales process (am not sure if they would work on commission only basis, I do not have the extra $ to spend to pay for this yet), but have not looked into who would be able to do that, what kind of company it is, or anything to that extent. I also do not have the infrastructure in place to allow for that many people to make sales- this I can easily fix in a weekend worth of work.

Thanks for bringing the ideas back to mind, especially with getting current service providers to offer my service to their current clients.

Original92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 29, 2013
The Narrow Road
Interesting topic, it seems to me you have a good product. A good product will get you there if you are using the right strategy, listen to the advice people give you here and do everything step by step.

You need to focus and stop falling in these traps (spending money on useless things).

Oh and stop being sorry for yourself and stop saying sorry to the people on this forum, use this energy to figure out what you did wrong and make sure you won't make these mistakes in the future. Just look at it this way, you have to fail to succeed.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
--
Oh my, soo many I wants :/
That was your problem and that's why I believe you are failing now. I get it and I hear this a lot with a lot of my "startup" friends. When I joined a startup incubator, half of the talk everyday was about the material possessions and things they were going to do once they had the money, not the value they would be providing to the customer or how to hit their big goal of $1,000 in revenue for the first month. There would be big spreadsheets of how much everyone was gonna make and pushing goals further and further, but I've rarely seen the shoot for the stars and land on the moon idea work.

When I was a freshman in college I started to wonder about how to get a Ferrari and that was always my motivating factor. I moved from one business to the next because I kept believing my current business couldn't get me there. I was always wrong. I spent more time on Zillow looking at big houses and fancy car dealership web pages than I did on building a better product, or working towards that next goal of $10,000 a month in revenue. In truth, all of the businesses I started had much more potential than I allowed them to.

I fear that you're walking yourself into a corner where you will be a slave to your debt. If you're 22, you don't need a 4,000 square foot house. Do you have roommates? If not, get some, and let them pay for your mortgage or just flat out sell your place.

This $1.5 Million, will lead to 5 Million next year! That 5 Million will lead to 10, then 20. And 50 Million. So help me, - to the body I am in, and the mindset to encumber it.
Oh god I was pretty calm writing this post but now my blood's boiling. This may get harsh but I 100% genuinely want you to succeed.

This thread shouldn't be changed to "Journey to 1.5 million" it should be changed to "Journey to $5,000 a month," then "Journey to $10,000 a month," then "Journey to $25,000 a month." You need to focus on each step along the way and not let the desire for future success blind you.

Help me get what I want, or I would not have lived life at all....
Forget what I said about not buying a R8 or M6... I will get one of them. It will take time, but I want it! One day, I will post bank records and will show you, my earnings, and I will show you the exact withdrawal for the car, and then I will show you the car. I want to.
This statement right here, means you have absolutely no idea what it means to run a business. This is consumer mentality, not producer. The mindset "to encumber" the amount of wealth you're talking about is not a deep desire to buy expensive things, it's a deep desire to enrich the lives of others. If the meaning of life to you is "I get what I want," then you are too selfish. The meaning of life to successful entrepreneurs is to provide value to other people's lives. Successful business owners wake up every morning to satisfy the wants and desires of others, not their own (or in a sense that is what they want).

I want to succeed.
Then stop talking about what you want, making spreadsheets of all the money you want, looking up the cars you want, and talking about wanting more when you can't even afford what you already have, and start solely thinking about what your customers want. Not a single one of them cares that you want to make $1.5 million in a year and buy a new Audi R8.

I am one year older than you and have enough cash to go buy several Audi R8's. I drive a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT I got when I was 16 and just moved from my fancy downtown apartment to a room in a house that's 1/3rd the rent. When I started my journey several years ago, I wanted all the same things you did and I said all of the exact same stuff. It's not until I gave up those wants that I succeeded, and now that I have that success, I really don't care about that "stuff" anymore. It's just stuff.

I reaaally hope you take my advice and succeed. I do not want to watch you fail. Goodluck. :)

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
Wow, almost a month wasted with stupid shit. Do you want to be a millionaire or do you want to be an average loser?

Serious new goal... tomorrow is Sunday, if I don't have to do something for someone (ie, help my father out again)... I want to sit there and make dam sales calls.

Better goals:
  • turn off your mobile phone if you don't need it to make calls. Your friends will only distract you with bullshit. Get rid of everybody in your life that doesn't help you with your business. Do that for one full month and you'll see how much shit you can get done.
  • block all non-work related pages. What's your job at the moment? Getting clients. Block Facebook, Youtube and all other sites that are stupid distractions. Block this forum here as well. There is no point reading this forum, it won't get you any further in your situation. There's only one way out of your misery: signing new clients.
  • track your time with Toggl or a different app. See how much time you're actually wasting every single day. You're only allowed to cry about your failure if your time tracking shows that you're spending 100% of your time working on signing clients.
  • think about ditching your girlfriend if she's not 'the only one'. Sounds like she distracts you from your work and it looks like you even have to pay her. This sounds rough and a lot of kumbayah-wantrepreneurs here will cry about this, but if you're not able to control your spending, it might be a good idea to get rid of things that lure you into making dumb decisions.
  • you want to help your dad, that's a good thing. Use it as motivation. Making 30 calls a day on 5 consecutive days should be rewarded by you helping your dad for one day in a week. You fail to hit 30 calls a day, you will have to say 'no' to your dad.

Please don't think about outsourcing the core of your business: getting sales. Relying on other people / other companies is a huge risk.

There is only one thing that matters: getting a good cashflow by signing clients yourself. If you have cash, you can hire people to do the job. Cold-calling is super hard for most people (including me), but in your case it's either make it or break it right? Fixed high monthly expenses and the inability to say no / limit your additional spending got you deep into shit and leaves you with no real other option. Get sales or prepare for a huge failure.

TL;DR:
You have built a working business model. Don't throw that away because you can't cut out all distractions and get the F*cking job done. It's just for a limited time until you have a better cashflow. Just go out there and sign a bunch of F*cking new clients.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
BLOCK EVERYTHING ELSE OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I am married, have a full time slowlane job and a new baby and I still crank 2-4 hours a day and pretty much all day Sunday into my Fastlane plan.

At least you know what you did wrong. EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF FEAR! Push through push through!

GettingIntoGear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 9, 2014
USA
Journey To One Hundred Thousand

Hello everyone,

I’m new to The Fast Lane Forum and I am just beginning to build my business but I felt compelled to add my two cents to this thread, so here it is…

Lagron you’ve gotten some really good advice in this thread but it seems to me that the reason you’ve “wasted” the last month is because you are avoiding something you don’t want to do (making cold calls). You can find lots of books and info online to improve your selling skills so that you can become better at making cold calls but before you can become better at selling you need to exercise more self-discipline. The first step to becoming more self-disciplined is to recognize your undisciplined behavior and then to understand why you are undisciplined

You want to make money but your fear of failure and fear of rejection are more powerful at the moment. Humiliation is at the heart of the fear you have; you don’t want to feel embarrassed or feel like you have failed in front of someone (even over the phone with a stranger). If you can separate your self-esteem from the “failure” of a cold call, making cold calls will become easier for you (and you won’t avoid them at all costs).

In the worst case scenario where a cold call is a “failure” that does not mean that you are a failure as a person. To have a cold call “fail” means that you have taken some action and that is something to feel good about. Each failure you endure is an opportunity for you to gain knowledge, improve your skills and move closer to your goal. If you change the way you look at “failure” and do not tie it to your self-esteem it will be easier for you to exercise self-discipline and do the things you need to do.

Improved self-discipline will not only help you make the cold calls you want to make but it will impact everything in your life (and business) in big and wonderful way. Being able to really control what you do and when you do it is life changing.

A lack of self-discipline has been a serious issue for me for most of my life and its only this month that I recognized it and began exploring its origins. I now realize that there is an “unruly, undisciplined child inside me who is a slave to every whim and emotion it feels” but I am learning how to manage this “undisciplined child” so that I can do the things I need to do to be more successful. I’m reading a book entitled “Self-Discipline in 10 days - How to Go from Thinking to Doing” by Theodore Bryant and I cannot recommend it enough (it’s very easy to read).

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Oh and stop being sorry for yourself
Completely agree, it is my fault I am in the situations I am in. It is my fault I do not have and cannot do what I want, and it is up to me, to do what is needed to change what I want to change.

This thread shouldn't be changed to "Journey to 1.5 million" it should be changed to "Journey to $5,000 a month," then "Journey to $10,000 a month," then "Journey to $25,000 a month." You need to focus on each step along the way and not let the desire for future success blind you.
You are right, I completely agree that I should be trying to do things day by day, to set goals short term, and to expand/increase such objectives progressively.

Not a single one of them cares that you want to make $1.5 million in a year and buy a new Audi R8.
Thanks for the wakeup call, and I agree once again, it is the value I provide to them, that they care for, that I should strive to look after.

I really don't care about that "stuff" anymore. It's just stuff.
I really do wish I stop caring for such material possessions, and hope after having them, that they do sway away as my desires, and my desires/wants to become what is greater than material possessions.

reaaally hope you take my advice and succeed. I do not want to watch you fail. Goodluck
Thank you Dknise, I appreciate it.

Do you want to be a millionaire or do you want to be an average loser?
Want to be a millionaire, I've been an average loser long enough.

Better goals...
I have noted them, and will try it. I know it seems like I am just going with what everyone suggests, but most if not all suggestions I do place and partake in.

I never figured out what that meant, but google says, Too Long, Didn't read?... I read every single word, especially for posts directed at me that are in such length :)

You have built a working business model. Don't throw that away because you can't cut out all distractions and get the F*cking job done. It's just for a limited time until you have a better cashflow. Just go out there and sign a bunch of F*cking new clients
I really do need to get the dam job done. Thanks for the motivation.

I am married, have a full time slowlane job and a new baby and I still crank 2-4 hours a day and pretty much all day Sunday into my Fastlane plan.
If you can put that time in, there shouldn't be a reason I can't. I think an issue I have is that the clients I need to get a hold of are only around as such time frames to which at those times I seem to always have something else to friggen do. I need to say "no" to people's requests for help on their own things.

When I used to have a job in high school, I was the youngest employee for a investment management firm. I go in there knowing how to do exactly what I need to do, to complete my job efficiently, and as such, NOT 1 person could match what I did, and I was at LEAST 10 years younger than everyone else in the firm. But what happened?...1 person wants help, I accept, another wants help... I accept... another wants help...I accept again. Now I'm doing job tasks others were being paid for that they no longer had to "do," because they asked me to help.

What I hate: "If you can do this, can you..(what they want me to do for them)." .... keywords.... CAN. I can do anything you aHoles, is what I thought when my boss wanted more duties from me. Saying no, just makes me feel so "not good enough" since I "couldn't" do what they wanted. When I know, every request I can do, and as such I just accepted. (this post makes it seem horrid as to how much things were dumped on me, but its not that horrid, but yet still a pain to do another's work). Not sure what brought about this little rant...I feel I can't deny doing something for someone when they use the words "if you CAN do..."

Self-Discipline in 10 days - How to Go from Thinking to Doing” by Theodore Bryant
I'll grab the book this week.
You GettingIntoGear, hit the nail extravagantly. Your post, as much as I dislike to admit, and as I thought about it, as I was reading it, was right on. Discipline is my issue, that "self-esteem" you mention, that failure I don't want to endure is holding me back.

---
I really love how you are all there, rooting for me in a sense and giving me advice. I do appreciate it greatly and hope that one day I can put faces to such great and helpful minds.

Original 92
Dknise
Vespasian
PeeVee
GettingIntoHear,

I will remember this.

Thanks for reading, if its too long to read everything, its okay. Its understandable, you have better things to do. Work on that business of yours.

From Lagron

WaystarRoyco

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Dec 29, 2013
Maine
Lagron, something simple I learned from a mentor a long time ago -

Every "no" puts you one step closer to a "yes." It may sound hokey, but it worked for me on those days that you just can't seem to find a sale.

Hope this helps.
CK

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Nice thread Laragon, appreciate you putting yourself out there.

Are your salespeople cold calling? How were you able to find quality salespeople to cold call and make money just off commission?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I was where you were a few months ago regarding calls, here's how I got over it:
-I realized that I was going to fail over and over, and that it was OK because it was simply a process I had to go through in order to get to "yes"
-Calls suck. No one likes them. You don't have to pretend that you do.
-You are trying to provide value to people. Sometimes they don't get that, but if your product doesn't suck and you truly believe it in, you therefore have to believe that your customers will want your product (at least some of them). Once you feel comfortable with this concept you'll pick up the phone more...later you can focus on the message itself if you aren't converting.
-One of the other things I think about is this: if MJ or any other successful people said to you "I know for a fact that you will succeed, you will build an amazing business, become wealthy, your family will never have to worry about money...in order to do it, you have to make 3,452 cold calls. By the time you do that, you'll have what you want." Would you have the balls to move forward - would you believe MJ or anyone else on call 2,347 when you haven't succeed yet? Would you give up right before your success, or would you push through to call 2,348 and beyond? Edison had the same problem when inventing the light bulb - something like 10,000 filaments before he succeeded. He believed in what he was doing strategically, and he trusted that he'd find the right tactic - through accident or intentional discovery - because he was going through the right process to get there. Here are some quotes from him:
"Before I got through," he recalled, "I tested no fewer than 6,000 vegetable growths, and ransacked the world for the most suitable filament material.""The electric light has caused me the greatest amount of study and has required the most elaborate experiments," he wrote. "I was never myself discouraged, or inclined to be hopeless of success. I cannot say the same for all my associates."
"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."​
-Just food for thought, one of the things I've learned is that there is no "finish line" - there is no "now your rich, you can retire now!" People who have this entrepeneurship thing in their blood don't stop. They keep building successful businesses, building failing businesses, it just keeps going till they're old. Sure, they have freedom, they enjoy the finer things...but they embrace the process as their lifestyle, not the event of "getting rich." I don't know if I'm conveying this clearly, but it's something that really changed my perspective. I guess it's the difference between saying "I'm training to run a marathon" and "I'm a runner." The first person will run their marathon, be happy in achieving the event, get fat and lazy, and wonder why they let themselves go. The second person will keep running after the marathon, because even though they reached their goal of running a marathon, that doesn't define who they are. They keep running because they are runners. What does this mean? It takes the pressure off. You'll be doing this whether you succeed or fail probably for the rest of your life. Thus, this one success isn't so important, it's not the one last hope you have. Instead, it's one in a series of successes or failures you'll experience for the rest of your life. You just don't know whether it's success or failure yet - you have to go through the process. But the pressure is off - if you keep going, you'll succeed (but remember, once you get there, you'll just keep trying to build businesses because "you're an entrepreneur."

Last edited:

Rolfp2

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jan 25, 2014
I know what I say, will be a disappointment. And it is because I am disappointing myself as well that makes me want to just drop this, that makes me wish I didn't start this thread because now I am "failing," and in front of everyone reading this.

My last post was on Dec. 15, 2013. My last class was on Dec 19th I think. From Dec. 19th to now, the 11th of January...this is what I have done : /

1. Spent time readjusting the dam sales script. (excuse for not taking real action-making sales calls)
2. Spent time adjusting the dam site. (excuse again
3. Spent time doing other garbage which had no relation to the business. (I rationalized, going to the movies and hanging out with ppl as "okay"..when I should be spending 8-5 every M-F making sales calls)
4. Came up with excuses as to why I can't start ..."Oh shit, I need to go grocery shopping"...I get back home 2 hours later, put the things away, look at the clock and "CRAP I wasted my entire day, I can't make sales calls."
5. Spent a few days away from home for the holidays, for Christmas spent my time with a lovely beautiful young lady...(I guess this is acceptable since it was a holiday ??...I know it sucks).
6. Spent a few hundred on dinner and a few more hundred $ on a present for that same lady...Got her a diamond silver studded bracelet, and matching earrings. ( I still spend money where I know I shouldn't, especially if my bank account basically reaches 0$ by the end of the month.
7. .... Wasted time, again...helping my father out with his company.
8. Wasted more time helping him with his company... (spent 6 days so far, and will spend another 5-8 days... until the 23rd (the day I start school again, DAM THIS, by now I should have at least 12-13 sales, earning me 2.5k monthly.
9. I spent absolutely NO TIME on my own business doing what I need to do, which is-making sales calls.... :/ (I AM VERY PISSED AT MYSELF FOR THIS).

I would have loved to come back and say "Oh yes! I made 28 sales, and make an extra 5,543.$ a month because of it, so I rented office space, and hired a salesmen, thats making sales calls and getting sales at least once every 2 days." But...I would be cheating myself if I did.

---
My noticeable issues...
1. I come up with excuses as to why I can't sit there and make sales calls.
2. I feel like garbage when I just say 1 sentence on the phone and get hung up on...leads to me just walking out the room and doing something else.
3. I spend money where it should not be spent...(I am even called a cheap numerous times... Been called cheap just twice just within these last 3 days... I think its because I know I don't have the money to spend, so why should I be spending it? They think I have $, in reality, I have a positive balance every first week of the month and negative balance every end of the month (because of credit cards that have insane 24% interest rates.... This adds up A LOT when you have a balance that reaks).
4. I am spending time doing things for "other people" and helping "them" ...ie, fathers company, if I went by to help that's $120-$150 a day. When I should be on my computer, on the phone making sales calls.

5. I LACK SOMETHING or SOMETHING IS HOLDING ME BACK, I don't know what in the world it is, but I know its there, and its because of that something, that I just "failed" my goal of making sales by the 23rd of this month to sustain an office and a paid salesmen + commission.... I am hating this.

---

New goal:
1. Go to a sports store.
2. Buy a bat.
3. Break my leg with the bat.
4. Get stuck in front of a computer with a phone, and nothing else to do, so I can do what I need to do.

I don't know what the hells up with me. I need the money, I have the service. It works, its perfect! But I am the .... fill in the blank here...

I hate myself for having to update a thread on my failure.

Anyone else see how I feel I must help him? But also despise doing so? (edit, maybe another excuse for myself)

Thanks for reading my months worth of failure.

All of your reasons sound like things you would see in a "Where can I find time to study?" thread on reddit. Seriously, you already know what you need to do and what you DON'T need to do. Just go get your stuff together.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I have been trying to stay away from computers/distractions and such as people above have told me to do.

I am just here to say there is going to be a nice update at the end of the month :) Trying not to spend time reading posts and such, I found that reading this site through is not a waste of time, but makes me not take action, which is what we know I definitely need.

Thanks for staying tuned.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
I have been trying to stay away from computers/distractions and such as people above have told me to do.

I am just here to say there is going to be a nice update at the end of the month :) Trying not to spend time reading posts and such, I found that reading this site through is not a waste of time, but makes me not take action, which is what we know I definitely need.

Thanks for staying tuned.

Good stuff, really looking forward reading your update. Stay strong!

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I haven't read the 2nd page of this thread so i maybe repeating others advice.

Your problem:

Many of us were inspired by jack edwards thread but he has 20 years experience as a successful serial entrepreneur. He can skip a lot of the ground work (working on the biz yourself). Someone in your position needs to sell/market the service first. once you establish your base and have some solid momentum, then you can rent out an office space and TRAIN others do to if for you.

But the problem goes much deeper, you need to sort out your financial situation first. you should perhaps move somewhere else and sort out other issues.

You are trying to build Rome on sand my friend. you clearly have MASSIVE potential, not many people can do you what you did. just take a step back, wipe the slate clean, give yourself a base, then you can start hiring.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I logged in a few days ago and read around, I wanted to update everyone :)

There is an utterly big smile and tears running down my face as I write this as my mother looks over my shoulder writing this.

I was reading Jack Edwards thread minutes ago, he made me tear as I was thinking of what he was writing and the picture of his Bentley when I first joined the forums. I read his thread from top to bottom again today and he's doing great, my inspiration.

When I first read his thread, I thought, heck god, really? Is my life really worth nothing that I can't have what he has, am I that worthless? As I write this thread, as I am about to update you all on my journey thus far... Every Sunday in the last week of the month I review how much sales were made the prior week, I do bookkeeping and prepare what my 23 salespeople are going to get paid on the 1st of every month (I don't issue payments throughout the middle of the month, as its just more work for me to do. Its much simpler to just have 1 single payment).

It has been 5 months since my last update and my pathetic slacking off updates. I do have 23 full time sales employees all of them get paid hourly and receive commission.

I was paying attention to how much we made this month so far. And I remembered how I wanted to make a hundred-thousand dollars by year end for myself when I started this thread.

Today, I see that I did not make $1,000.00. I did not make $10,000.00 not $ 50k USD either. In fact I made double that this month. To be exact, I made $ 128,800.00. As I write this, I'm laying on my bed with Athan in the background as its 8:22 PM and we've been fasting and I'm crying like a big baby.

I made friggen $ 128,800.00 pure profit this month so far! God thank you. Who would've thought I can do this. Gosh. I'm not typing anymore right now I'm getting tears on my keyboard.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I logged in a few days ago and read around, I wanted to update everyone :)

There is an utterly big smile and tears running down my face as I write this as my mother looks over my shoulder writing this.

I was reading Jack Edwards thread minutes ago, he made me tear as I was thinking of what he was writing and the picture of his Bentley when I first joined the forums. I read his thread from top to bottom again today and he's doing great, my inspiration.

When I first read his thread, I thought, heck god, really? Is my life really worth nothing that I can't have what he has, am I that worthless? As I write this thread, as I am about to update you all on my journey thus far... Every Sunday in the last week of the month I review how much sales were made the prior week, I do bookkeeping and prepare what my 23 salespeople are going to get paid on the 1st of every month (I don't issue payments throughout the middle of the month, as its just more work for me to do. Its much simpler to just have 1 single payment).

It has been 5 months since my last update and my pathetic slacking off updates. I do have 23 full time sales employees all of them get paid hourly and receive commission.

I was paying attention to how much we made this month so far. And I remembered how I wanted to make a hundred-thousand dollars by year end for myself when I started this thread.

Today, I see that I did not make $1,000.00. I did not make $10,000.00 not $ 50k USD either. In fact I made double that this month. To be exact, I made $ 128,800.00. As I write this, I'm laying on my bed with Athan in the background as its 8:22 PM and we've been fasting and I'm crying like a big baby.

I made friggen $ 128,800.00 pure profit this month so far! God thank you. Who would've thought I can do this. Gosh. I'm not typing anymore right now I'm getting tears on my keyboard.

Wow! well done buddy. i remember reading this a few months back. i thought 'wow this guy takes action'. hiring salespeople and mangers straight away. you are an inspiration. congrats

Edit: i was the post before yours....

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Congrats, man. The Kool Aid is real, and so is that Audi R8!

Curious about a couple things:

1) You had a sticking point with sales calls a while back. How many sales calls did you end up making, and do you still make sales calls now that you have 23 salespeople working for you?

2) Why did you choose cold calling for your method of bringing on customers? Most of us stick to options where we don't have to put ourselves out there on the phone, like Internet paid traffic.

3) How did you gather your leads, and did you end up refining your lead-gathering process later on?

Trying to keep my questions as specific as possible as to not waste your time. Good stuff man, I can see GOLD in the works.

Rep+

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Sorry but OP is a troll

Today, I see that I did not make $1,000.00. I did not make $10,000.00 not $ 50k USD either. In fact I made double that this month. To be exact, I made $ 128,800.00

I do have 23 full time sales employees all of them get paid hourly and receive commission.

2 Salesmen, paid = 5k

I would money from every sale made with an average profit of $44.50 (would have been 89$ but I should mention my salesstaff is all commission based and thus taking a rate of 50%

Some basic math tells us
23 employees X 2500 per month = 57,500
23 employees X 8.25 (new jersey minimum wage) X 160 (hours in a month) = 30,360

Therefore
57,500/45 sale= 1278 sales / 23 sales reps = 56 sales per rep average
30,360/45 sale= 674 sales / 23 sales reps = 30 sales per rep average

Just to pay for the reps,
stay with me

Today, I see that I did not make $1,000.00. I did not make $10,000.00 not $ 50k USD either. In fact I made double that this month. To be exact, I made $ 128,800.00

128,000 / 45 sale = 2,845 sales
2845 / 23 sales reps = 124 sales per rep average

if OP is paying what he said he would (2.5k salary plus comm) then his sales rep would need to make on average 180 sales a month (more than one per hour, every hour, without fail)
if OP is paying minimum wage then his sales reps would need to make on average 154 sales per month (little less than one an hour)

this is NOT including office rent, utilities, phone, computers, internet & taxes, also assumes OP does not have any monthly expenses (which he has clearly demonstrated his lack of restraint)

lets factor in some basic business expenses
$20 VOIP per rep X 23 reps = $460
$5000 rent for an office large enough to house 23 reps
$100 business internet

460+5000+100=5560
5560 / 45 sales = 124 sales
124 sales / 23 sales reps = 6 sales per rep

186 sales per month average per rep if paid 2.5k plus comm
160 sales per month average per rep if paid NJ minimum wage

goal is to get 25 sales, per salesperson

@ 25 sales per rep X 23 reps = 575 sales X 45 profit per sale = $25,875

paying your reps NJ minimum wage (8.25 an hour) you would be losing $10,045 per month

Furthermore, even if it was possible, sales reps with that much talent would not work for 2500 a month, much less $8.25 an hour

Sorry OP, there are some people on this forum like Jason that work 16 hours a day for some wanna-be to just show up here like its all good and say you're the best thing since sliced bread.

Oh and BTW none of those calculations included taxes ;)

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Sorry but OP is a troll

Some basic math tells us

Therefore

stay with me

if OP is paying what he said he would (2.5k salary plus comm) then his sales rep would need to make on average 180 sales a month (more than one per hour, every hour, without fail)
if OP is paying minimum wage then his sales reps would need to make on average 154 sales per month (little less than one an hour)

this is NOT including office rent, utilities, phone, computers, internet & taxes, also assumes OP does not have any monthly expenses (which he has clearly demonstrated his lack of restraint)

$100 business internet

460+5000+100=5560

paying your reps NJ minimum wage (8.25 an hour) you would be losing $10,045 per month

Furthermore, even if it was possible, sales reps with that much talent would not work for 2500 a month, much less $8.25 an hour

Sorry OP, there are some people on this forum like Jason that work 16 hours a day for some wanna-be to just show up here like its all good and say you're the best thing since sliced bread.

jon-stewart-popcorn.gif

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
Im not defending him... but didn't he say each sale is a recurring payment?

He could have built up his income to that level.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Assuming OP means original poster...what does a troll mean? I can't believe I have to explain myself, regardless...

As for your basic math, yes your calculations are correct. And yes I would not have made $ 128,800.00 at 45$ per sale.

But then, that math excel sheet I posted months ago isn't on par with what I did.

When I last posted, I literally quit coming back to this site as I saw myself continuously just reading another's successes. I sat down and reworked pricing, as I felt 45$ profit per sale was benign for the value the customers were getting monthly with my software service.

I came to a conclusion- if what I offer is working brilliantly, I should be able to make more money off of it especially if the money they save is 7-8 times more than my current price. So I thought, heck why not take 20% of their average costs, and offer them that average 80% savings.

I have attached a screenshot of the page on my site with the price outline, I and the sales employees push to have the 297.99$ a month plan sold. The other options underneath I erased using paint so that I can still keep away things that would show what service I am offering from other entrepreneurs on this site. There are only 17 sales for the lower plan, and no sales on the other plans whatsoever.

The cost of the service/software sold for that plan is 30.00, not a cent more or less. That is $ 267.99 a month before the commission needed for employees.

Started making sales at that price point literally 2 days after I practically melted down and froze thinking what the hell to do next.

$ 57,500.00 is the per month payment for employees a month, that would be 215 sales just to cover their wages. I made 128,800 this month so far. But what I think you fail to remember is that when a sale is made, it is a contractual year term, after the first month if they do not cancel, or if the salesman/saleswomen feels she can get the full payment on the service for the year on that day, it is multiplied by 12 months and then given a 5% discount. We have yet to have a business pay for service 12 months in advance. And thankfully, we have yet to have a company cancel using our services, and yes we have decreased the price they pay monthly for services to those 36 businesses who wanted to cancel.

Then you mentioned commission.
Everyone is at 40% commission, and it goes up 10% when they make $100,000 worth of original 1st time sales commission. It goes up one more time when they get to $250,000 worth of original 1t time sales and it stays there. It's just the way I wanted it to be and thought it beneficial.

I took out a loan for $ 50,000 on my home from my uncle, my parents are renting out their apartment building, as of May and live with me. That $ 50,000 was used for payroll for 2 months and office space/phone/internet/ etc.

I didn't have 23 employees straight off the bat from 5 months ago. Sales went up at a steady rate per employee and found last month and this month sales average at 16-19 an employee. I found, it BEST when I met business owners in person, and found this to be the most efficient means of sales, I just feel more comfortable with this, but the results seem to be the same, phone calls or in person not much fluctuation in sales and to be honest a lot of time wasted driving.

I saw Jack Edwards was hiring staff whenever possible and read that he had trouble training them efficiently and the likes of that, so when I hired, I had people start the first or last day of the month, this way we had people on the same page with sales material.

In March I had 3 employees, and we made 15 sales total, only $ 2,411.91 a month, I lost $ 5,088.00 on payroll, plus $ 2,500 on office space, internet/phone etc.

In April I had 8 employees, we made 64 sales total. That is only $ 12,702.73.
I lost $ 7,385.36 this month. BUT, what I didn't mention yet, is that I also got in touch with a number of companies that currently offer services to my target market. We presented to them the software service we offer and how it coincides with their current market group, and have 2 companies that sell my service alongside theirs for exactly 60% of the profits available per sale, leaving me with 40% of the profit to pocket.

In May I had 16 employees, and we made 160 sales total this month at an average of 10 sales a person a month at $160.79 a sale profit for myself is $ 25,727.04. 3rd month total income is $ 38,429.77, payroll is $ 40,000.00 for this month, leaves me with 1570.23 loss minus 4000.00 for office and internet/phone etc. Leaving a loss of $ 5570.23.

In June I had 18 employees, and we made a total of 252 sales, $ 40,520.08 including the previous sales that are recurring of $36,241.00=78,949.59 . Minus the employee wages of 45,000.00 is 33,949.86 minus $ 5610 for office space and int/phones etc. = $ 28,339.86 profit after all expenses and payrolls. OH YEA! In the green, not losing anymore money off of in-house expenses!

This month I have 23 employees, with a total of 412 sales this month! Made exactly $ 66,247.13 plus prior months sales of 78,949.86 = $ 145,196.99
Payroll runs $ 57,500 for this month. I also have 3 other saleswomen that are joining on the 1st of August.

As of now, from the 2nd month until last Friday, there have been a total of 720 of which only 640 sales from the 2 companies selling my service alongside theirs (are still open- lost 80 accounts because of miscommunication as to where we can offer our service (they were accounts in Canada of which we do not have authority to work in) and some other bullshit regardless I'm not getting paid for some of these sales they made). And for this month, if no further sales are made until the last day, that will mean $ 107.20 per sale profit x 540 sale = $68,608.00 profit monthly just from these 2 companies that already offer services to my target market.

That is 145,196.99 in sales including recurring profits generated by my sales staff in the full period of 5 months, and $ 68,608.00 profit monthly this month (was 158 sales less last month). For a total of $ 145,196.99 + $ 68,608.00= $ 213,804.99 generated this month.

$ 213,804.99 minus 57,500 payroll, minus 5,610 for office space and internet/phone, minus $ 21,894.99 I am going to leave in the business account for an upgrade on furniture and computers and computer seats which will be chosen and delivered in August, leaving me with exactly $ 128,800.00 profit this month. And yes you are right, I haven't taken into account how much I will have to pay in taxes for this, I'm kind of avoiding an accountant because I just know she'll come up with a lot of bs that's just going to destroy my mood.

I'm really not sure how to prove what I have accomplished thus this long explanation and bank screenshot of my personal account with the deposit pending :)

I'm happy doing these calculations, I can't believe I'm actually doing it.

View attachment 7918 View attachment 7919

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Im not defending him... but didn't he say each sale is a recurring payment?

He could have built up his income to that level.
Yes it's all recurring, or else, I would definitely not reach my goals with this.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry but OP is a troll

Some basic math tells us

Therefore

stay with me

$100 business internet

460+5000+100=5560

You assume too much bud. Why would I go off and offer a service one way, see myself failing and then continue that way? As opposed to doing what I did and change the pricing etc as I mentioned in my reply.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe me, I'm okay with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.