The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just finished reading it today. There's a LOT in there - it's the kind of book to reread a couple of times, to let each of the concepts sink in while working along with it and getting the work done. I loved it, and am restarting it again this weekend.

Nice, a re-read! Always great to hear.

This book shows how much MJ’s writing skills have improved over the years, every concept explained is easily understood and, thanks to Jeff and Sam, more relatable.

All concepts are essential to becoming unscripted , this book restored my faith and brought more awareness and energy to my life =) Thanks MJ

Thank you for giving it a read. Wishing you the best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matto

FoolMatto
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 7, 2017
Italy
I'm already listening to it from Audible.
Like it a lot, there are many of the principles from previous books (especially Unscripted ) but the story is linking them together and giving practical examples for each one.
And you know what MJ? Just after I started listening my wife said to me in a WA message "Do you wanna know a Killing News... what if I was going to resign?" (did she got to her FTE?). And now I'm trying to get her onboard on my quest that is lasting since a while, but it was invigorating for me listening to the book, understanding how to engage her (that is definitely not the type of person for this things...) recognising all the similar situations and having a blue print for this shared journey. I admit that many times I got myself stuck and busy with no real activities but being two and with the purpose of freeing the lives of all the people in our family gives me more certainty, good feelings to have the right chances to succeed.

Thanks a lot for the great books and keep up with the Excellent (not Good) work!

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Finished it last week. Unscripted 2 TGRRE was excellent and the Jeff and Samantha story helped nail down concepts from the other books. I don't think you can explain the Fastlane ideology any better. You gave people a very basic process and framework (not a list) through fiction to work from. Incredible.

TMF was very good, but its The Hobbit while Unscripted 1 and 2 are Lord of the Rings.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Finished it last week. Unscripted 2 TGRRE was excellent and the Jeff and Samantha story helped nail down concepts from the other books. I don't think you can explain the Fastlane ideology any better. You gave people a very basic process and framework (not a list) through fiction to work from. Incredible.

TMF was very good, but its The Hobbit while Unscripted 1 and 2 are Lord of the Rings.

Thank you, my objective was to create the fiction story to identify the exact process through both struggle, failure, and triumph!

glongshadow

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Aug 6, 2021
Absolutely loved TGRRE . Already a massive fan of TMF and Unscripted , so when I saw this coming out I re-read both before diving in.

I found having the narrative elements helped me to visualise a lot of the elements a lot more clearly, and also triggered associations and tangents that have helped me immensely to clarify the steps I should be taking as well as confirming that I am already doing the right things.

My only criticism is that I wished it was longer (but then I have the same issue with Lord Of The Rings, so you can take that with a pinch of salt!). Honestly though, all the books put me into a mindset of furious and purposeful execution, and leave me wanting to stop listening to anyone else and just get on with it (which I have). Top marks!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My only criticism is that I wished it was longer

I would have never thought that book size would be a criticism. And here I thought the book was too long. So happy to hear your found value in it, thank you for letting me know.

npsome

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 6, 2021
Celebrate REAL INDEPENDENCE on your INDEPENDENCE DAY weekend.

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 16 hours Audible) is now available with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

UNSCRIPTED - The Great Rat Race Escape : From Wage Slavery to Wealth, How to Start a Purpose Driven Business and Win Financial Freedom for a Lifetime
(Yes, really long but I was able to get to work on the cover!)

By all appearances, Jeff and Samantha Trotman are living the American Dream. But behind the white picket fence, they endure an American Nightmare. With little time for each other, a pile of debt, and Ferrari taste on a Ford budget, the ruse of affluence is killing them. Two respectable jobs and a lovely suburban house paint a pretty picture, but behind the ink is a broken marriage rife with meaningless work and dead dreams. And now, with an unplanned pregnancy, they’re facing a mid-life crisis twenty years early.

With little time and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotmans plot a rat-race escape—only to find themselves more thickly in it.

As tensions rise and hope fades, follow along step-by-step as the Trotmans pivot to a new strategy and a new career: starting a business as entrepreneurs.

While they navigate their journey, you’ll learn 120 wealth-building strategies and principles that your mainstream financial guru won’t dare reveal—actionable concepts that will help you profit your way into the Unscripted 1%, an emerging economic class of entrepreneurs who enjoy a lifetime of freedom emancipated from miserly living and Wall Street's "save, pray, and wait" paradigm. Discover how one family escapes the rat-race grind and wins a lifetime of financial freedom, leaving behind the tyranny of meaningless jobs and mediocre living— and how you can too.

• The Bad Math Principle: Why most people will never escape the rat-race, much less earn financial freedom.
  • The 1/5/10 Strategy: How this one simple exercise will unearth your ultimate dream life while establishing a decision framework for its reality
  • The Honeypot Principle: Why the financial media's "invest a $100/mo for 40 years in indexed-funds" narrative is part of the same rat-race scheme, just a different side of the same rigged coin.
  • The Dual Change Strategy: The two divergent sides of change and how it can make you a fortune.
  • The Value Skew Strategy: How to find literally 1000s of business ideas and why you never need to "disrupt" or invent anything new or novel.
  • The Millionaire Payday Strategy: How to spot opportunities to hire yourself and earn an instant millionaire-making income.
  • The Cinderella Principle: Why starting a business based on a cultural trend or a fad is a horrible idea.
  • The Perseverance Strategy: Never struggle with motivation again; the four necessary ingredients to tap into unlimited motivation and determination, regardless of the obstacles in your way.
  • The Triangulated Value Strategy: Learn how to never quit three-feet from gold: The 3-pronged strategy in maximizing marketing yields while also illuminating the "quit or continue" decision.
  • and over 110+ more!
Don’t let the rat-race and its co-conspirators proclaim your life as non-essential. Don’t let the rat-race entice you to save your life away for the promise of an elderly retirement. Don’t let the rat-race lull you into a tedious existence medicated by television, video games, and trivial sporting events.

Go Unscripted , escape the rat-race, and win your happily-ever-after.

##### DOWNLOAD SAMPLE CHAPTERS
>>> If you'd like to download the first 40 pages, visit here.
View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
Just finished reading - again exceeded expectations and gave another push to move over to the fastlane !! Thank you MJ - loved the format of the story interspersed with the concepts and your personal experience !! It's a great way to literally walk through applying the concepts that you have innovated in the earlier books. Highly recommend to anyone that needs the fire to be lit and eliminate any excuse to execute.

Chris_Varick

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 8, 2021
North Germany
just finished the great rat race escape today, took me a week and now the red pill is completely swallowed - there is no going back to the 9 to 5 world. the book actually gives everybody a complete guideline on how to start the journey and what to be aware of during the journey. the strategies embedded into the story is a brilliant idea. Where unscripted rather shocked me, this book in my opinion gives a step by step procedure on how to start and to evolve with naming all the traps that come along - Just great - Thanks M.J. for this masterpiece

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Celebrate REAL INDEPENDENCE on your INDEPENDENCE DAY weekend.

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 16 hours Audible) is now available with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

UNSCRIPTED - The Great Rat Race Escape : From Wage Slavery to Wealth, How to Start a Purpose Driven Business and Win Financial Freedom for a Lifetime
(Yes, really long but I was able to get to work on the cover!)

By all appearances, Jeff and Samantha Trotman are living the American Dream. But behind the white picket fence, they endure an American Nightmare. With little time for each other, a pile of debt, and Ferrari taste on a Ford budget, the ruse of affluence is killing them. Two respectable jobs and a lovely suburban house paint a pretty picture, but behind the ink is a broken marriage rife with meaningless work and dead dreams. And now, with an unplanned pregnancy, they’re facing a mid-life crisis twenty years early.

With little time and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotmans plot a rat-race escape—only to find themselves more thickly in it.

As tensions rise and hope fades, follow along step-by-step as the Trotmans pivot to a new strategy and a new career: starting a business as entrepreneurs.

While they navigate their journey, you’ll learn 120 wealth-building strategies and principles that your mainstream financial guru won’t dare reveal—actionable concepts that will help you profit your way into the Unscripted 1%, an emerging economic class of entrepreneurs who enjoy a lifetime of freedom emancipated from miserly living and Wall Street's "save, pray, and wait" paradigm. Discover how one family escapes the rat-race grind and wins a lifetime of financial freedom, leaving behind the tyranny of meaningless jobs and mediocre living— and how you can too.

• The Bad Math Principle: Why most people will never escape the rat-race, much less earn financial freedom.
  • The 1/5/10 Strategy: How this one simple exercise will unearth your ultimate dream life while establishing a decision framework for its reality
  • The Honeypot Principle: Why the financial media's "invest a $100/mo for 40 years in indexed-funds" narrative is part of the same rat-race scheme, just a different side of the same rigged coin.
  • The Dual Change Strategy: The two divergent sides of change and how it can make you a fortune.
  • The Value Skew Strategy: How to find literally 1000s of business ideas and why you never need to "disrupt" or invent anything new or novel.
  • The Millionaire Payday Strategy: How to spot opportunities to hire yourself and earn an instant millionaire-making income.
  • The Cinderella Principle: Why starting a business based on a cultural trend or a fad is a horrible idea.
  • The Perseverance Strategy: Never struggle with motivation again; the four necessary ingredients to tap into unlimited motivation and determination, regardless of the obstacles in your way.
  • The Triangulated Value Strategy: Learn how to never quit three-feet from gold: The 3-pronged strategy in maximizing marketing yields while also illuminating the "quit or continue" decision.
  • and over 110+ more!
Don’t let the rat-race and its co-conspirators proclaim your life as non-essential. Don’t let the rat-race entice you to save your life away for the promise of an elderly retirement. Don’t let the rat-race lull you into a tedious existence medicated by television, video games, and trivial sporting events.

Go Unscripted , escape the rat-race, and win your happily-ever-after.

##### DOWNLOAD SAMPLE CHAPTERS
>>> If you'd like to download the first 40 pages, visit here.
View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
Every page is full of wisdom & this serves as both inspiration and guidance.

mjbarlow

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 17, 2021
UK
The book is great, just started my 2nd listen through of the Jeff & Sam tale. At 16 hours+ audio it's truly amazing value for money.

I like that MJ and the narrator take turns with the chapters, I think it works well. It's a clear definition of actionable advice and narrative example. Also, it's funny hearing the narrator put on Sam's female voice for the dialogue parts. Add's some humor to it, especially when he has to voice the "come hither" moments from Sam.

The relationship insights are spot on! at some points it was like MJ had been in the room for some of the conversations I've had with my own wife.

The husband and wife striving for a better life against the scripted system and succeeding is a great story. I'd say the wife unscripted pretty quickly though, mine is neutral on the subject, she supports my ambition and can see the logic, but she has not fully bought in to the unscripted mindset and wants to follow the "safe route".

Maybe there is a book idea there, how to unscript your significant other.

Great read!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The book is great, just started my 2nd listen through of the Jeff & Sam tale. At 16 hours+ audio it's truly amazing value for money.

I like that MJ and the narrator take turns with the chapters, I think it works well. It's a clear definition of actionable advice and narrative example. Also, it's funny hearing the narrator put on Sam's female voice for the dialogue parts. Add's some humor to it, especially when he has to voice the "come hither" moments from Sam.

The relationship insights are spot on! at some points it was like MJ had been in the room for some of the conversations I've had with my own wife.

The husband and wife striving for a better life against the scripted system and succeeding is a great story. I'd say the wife unscripted pretty quickly though, mine is neutral on the subject, she supports my ambition and can see the logic, but she has not fully bought in to the unscripted mindset and wants to follow the "safe route".

Maybe there is a book idea there, how to unscript your significant other.

Great read!

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed the tale.

As for Sam Unscripting fast, well, she is the problem-solver in the family. ;)

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
As for Sam Unscripting fast, well, she is the problem-solver in the family. ;)

While the narrative stands on its own two legs, frankly I'm just not sure why you would choose to include vegansism as a parallel to unscription.

I mean, aside from obvious personal morality reasons... but, in this very book, you mention polarizing people as something that could be seen as risky.

It looks like you decided there was no asymmetric risk to this decision, and while I would say you are right, the recipe for this style of book/audiobook and narrative-driven self-help is very interesting and while it might be easy to be a hater in the "cheap seats", I personally found it very distracting due to my own judgements on veganism.

I guess I would think it's better to just "leave it out" but, it's who you are and you're the author so... no point in that. Just curious as to your own reasons for creating such a strong parallel.

And the story at the end... WOW. Very abusive and sad.. You really made it the focal point and source of character development. Which, is cool... I just have a really hard time identifying with it.

It feels like almost a personal attack, like I'm being compared to that D*bag or something. And after getting through that book, I'm pretty sure I am, which is what's worse.

Mr. Trottman had an entire... redemption arc? I guess..? devoted to veganism, while the Mrs. had an abusive childhood as do many cattle on YouTube videos, and this somehow should encourage me to... go vegan? That is the only conclusion I have to draw from you.

Not that I'm sure anyone cares, but personally I support holistic and traditionally procured plant AND animal products and the ranchers and farmers that foster growth in order for it to happen. Especially any fish caught from the unpolluted wilds

I would shift the line of animal "rights" away from autonomous beings that basically deserve human rights, at this point more than me, to creatures that demand respect for their inherent value to us as our source of sustenance, as well as allowing us to thrive, spiritually, they're living beings that need to be cherished and cared for, not moved around and treated like a meat farm.

We NEED them and they NEED us.

Who wants to consume a sick and tortured animal compared to one that has lived a well life, anyways? Only idiots.

As an aside, unless you're sourcing 100% of your plant produce locally and truly organically, or not aware of where your food comes from, mass agriculture and monocropping are just as detrimental morally and environmentally, if not arguably more so, than the animal industry, cruel as it may be. Also, do not forget to consider the thousands of species and millions of animal lives displaced and destroyed by industrial farm equipment

It's just all such a distraction but, I overanalyze compared to others and maybe most people just wouldn't be bothered by it

Great book for.. vegans. Lol. I look forward to what's in store.

Last edited:

Toddo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 16, 2021
Big Island, Hawaii
@Disciple96 I don't understand why you are getting worked up about something that promotes veganism, it's a choice that isn't being forced upon you but somethings you have stated are blatantly wrong and it needs to be addressed

We NEED them and they NEED us.
I don't think you are being serious but if you are then there are plenty of vegans that have survived and thrived without consuming any animal products: some are champion of fighters and others can lift cars, so there's an abundance actual proof we don't need them to survive and how can you say animals need us, can you honestly believe that statement? Are humans required for animals to exist in the wild.

Who wants to consume a sick and tortured animal compared to one that has lived a well life, anyways? Only idiots.
Have you seen what the hogs, chickens and cows look like in the factories, they are covered with abscesses, infested with mites, and infected with a multitude of diseases and this is what majority of animal products are sourced from. Cows are fed cow, pigs are fed pigs. The few fortunate ones that live a "well life" are still packed into cattlecarts like sardines for sometimes weeks until they are slaughtered.

As an aside, unless you're sourcing 100% of your plant produce locally and truly organically, or not aware of where your food comes from, mass agriculture and monocropping are just as detrimental morally and environmentally, if not arguably more so, than the animal industry, cruel as it may be. Also, do not forget to consider the thousands of species and millions of animal lives displaced and destroyed by industrial farm equipment

This is the biggest inaccuracy I need to address, the single largest consumer on the planet of monocrops is the animal industry. And that is by a longshot. One of the main reasons amazon rainforest is being cleared for crops to feed the cattle. Do you have any idea how much soy and grain a 1,500 pound steer consumes? Do you know how many acres of grain and soy it takes to raise one steer or hefer to slaughter. It takes 10-20 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of beef. Do you know that the cows and pigs and chickens need to eat the entire time before they are slaughtered. I know this way off topic but I really think you should enlighten yourself before fabricating so many statements in one post

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Disciple96

Clearly you missed the forest through the trees.

I don't need to justify a fictional story to you, or anyone.

I knew a small minority of people would be "triggered" by the story, and would totally ignore the fundamental business strategy behind it. Sounds like that was you. Moreover, no where in the book do I encourage people to go vegan, but I clearly describe how people arrive and justify their decision, a decision which was similar to my own.

Risky?

Sure.

Do I care?

No. And neither does my blood panel.

Oh well.

As for your "facts" that you posted, I won't be bothered as the forum isn't for discussing your hatred and anger of people who refuse to participate in animal agriculture. As they say, you're entitled to your opinions, but you aren't entitled to the facts.

In the end, I hope there was strategy, principle, idea, or something in the book that helped you move the meter for your business... after all, it is a business book on how one family escapes the rat-race, salvages their marriage, and reinvents the entirety of their life.

JtBreeze

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 25, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
I've spent the last week listening to MJ's latest book and have mixed feelings. I believe the main point of the book is to understand that the best chance at living an extraordinary life on your own terms is by being an entrepreneur. At some point we have to get enough courage to leave our dead end 9 to 5 job and start our own business. I get it!

But at this point is where I'm confused... MJ kind of shit on some online businesses like Amazon FBA because those type of business ventures are heavily saturated. So he pushes the reader into creating something that is new, innovative, and not the same ole business that everyone else is starting. That's fine, but that's not going to be easy to enter, costly, and will take time to figure out.

So in summary I would say that the reader or listener(audible) needs to really take some time and plan this career change out before jumping off the ledge and quitting their job. I know that's going against the grain of the book, which is pushing folks towards entrepreneurship but that's just my honest opinion. It's a good motivation book for folks who want to get out of the rat race, but don't do it without a detailed business plan and emergency fund first.

p.s. I also got a little lost when going over all of the different strategies and principles to follow. There's literally over 100 different strategies and principles outlined. I think it would have been more helpful to readers/listeners to narrow some of that material down.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ kind of shit on some online businesses like Amazon FBA because those type of business ventures are heavily saturated. So he pushes the reader into creating something that is new, innovative, and not the same ole business that everyone else is starting. That's fine, but that's not going to be easy to enter, costly, and will take time to figure out.

I never said that, anywhere, and it might be clearer in my prior two books.

I merely implied that lower entry barrier businesses have a harder execution profiles and a smaller margin of error.

There is some subjectivity to it, but starting an Amazon FBA business based on distinctive value skews and starting a t-shirt business with no value skews are two different leagues. But they both can be considered "saturated".

Gkern84

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 24, 2021
MJ Your book is great. Many people ask how to become wealth. Well, you fixed that. This is like the exact roadmap someone can use to get there

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Just finished my first read of The Great Rat Race Escape and loved it.

MJ's best yet. Not only was I not triggered but the book inspired me. Side note: I always find it so interesting how, for many people, food is like religion. All I can say about that is this: when I stopped eating meat and cheese, I lost 60lbs. Prior to that, I rode an ambulance to the hospital and I am grateful to say that I haven't been on that "ride" since.

I don't think I've come across a book that weaved fiction with non-fiction. I found myself really looking forward to each next episode with Sam and Jeff. I have to admit I even teared up a couple times. And the principles and strategies were excellent... improvements upon what was expressed in TMF and Unscripted , which is saying a lot because those two books already shifted my way of thinking.

Thank you, MJ!

My wife and I now have our Planasy and Escape Number. Here goes!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I read the first 40 last night @MJ DeMarco

Great stuff and I can’t wait to read the rest. I like the format.
I've finished reading Escape the Rat Race. A lot of great information. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write it and sharing your wisdom.

Jonas Napier

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jeff and Samantha Trotman are living the American Dream

SPOILER ALERT:
When they started reading books by some random DeMarco dude I litterally laughed out loud waking up my kids that I was putting to bed!!!

Great book man - such an awesome new way of doing it with the story and the teaching intertwined - this will become popular for sure.

Whether you coined the concept or not it's still AWESOME

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
MJ just did what great teachers have been doing since Aesop.. who coincidentally also loved animals. Lol.

Great book, I reviewed it. If you’re not a part of a writers group where you can bounce off ideas with other authors you should join one. I look forward to reading the fiction stuff next.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Had to buy it for the 2nd time. :) just got it today. Lent it to a friend and a month later I already want to re-review it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Finally got around to making this thread ... badges should appear in an hour or so...

YearnForMe

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Nov 9, 2017
Philippines
I've read TGRRE !
And I enjoyed that it's 2 books in 1: half business/half erotica;)

I also don't recall the detail of choosing a spouse being covered in TMF or Unscripted . So thank you for the additional insight with the 1/2/3 marriage strategy.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
I have read TGRRE and while I cannot judge whether this book is beginner-friendly, I certainly did not understand the most parts of the additional value from TGRRE . (Speaking of "additional value" I mean the value which was not already included in TMF and Unscripted .) I think that I have only understood the chapter where MJ describes when to quit the job and maybe the chapter on marriage. So for me it will be definitely important to re-read TGRRE once I am more experienced in the unscription process.

Edit: It's interesting that TMF is not becoming a link towards the corresponding book.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
Re-reading it right now and enjoying it! For me, the hardest part is bridging theory and practice, and this book demonstrates this step well.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I "read it" on Audible! I liked that both new and older concepts were covered in both the fiction and nonfiction portions. I think this format really helps for developing mindset because it gives the reader a visual as a starting point to build their mental model around.

The audiobook performance was well done.

I didn't expect there to be a twist, but I liked it!

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Just finished the audiobook today… good call in using the 2 narrators, it was great to hear your voice again MJ!
the story/lesson format was a refreshing alternative to the stale student/mentor parables that often feature contrived plots or conversations to get a concept across.
I can see this format being a game changer in the genre.
this book also felt much shorter than the last 2 since it flowed more smoothly.
the unapologetic nature I enjoyed in the first book (“someone give this guy a bitch slap!”) came through in Jeff’s character.

My favourite part (and I’m sure every vegans favourite) was when Jeff had his epiphany while choosing animals to sponsor. A moving scene that brought real tears to my eyes."

Thank you MJ for sharing this with the world, best wishes for massive sales numbers.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the story/lesson format was a refreshing alternative to the stale student/mentor parables that often feature contrived plots or conversations to get a concept across.

Is this common? This was actually going to be the format, and I switched it later.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Is this common? This was actually going to be the format, and I switched it later.
E-Myth Revisited is like this. I found the exchanges in that book always predictable, which was fine because it wasn't written with a plot per say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.