The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

LifeDeathTime

It's funny cause we're all going to die anyways
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 28, 2017
Austin, TX
The audiobook is great. Love the style between the story and MJ's parallel insight.
Also really appreciate it switching between a narrator and MJ himself.

The Trotman sex jokes had me cracking up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

david1024

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 15, 2021
Finished it in about a week. Def made some triggers go off in my life and relationship. But triggers that needed to happen. By far the best business book I will ever read. I will be having my team read all of MJs books. ( of course when I create my team).

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

nickbanik

Algorithm Trader
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 11, 2020
United States
I loved the book, and it was cool to hear how the audible version had MJ reading the nonfiction chapters and the other narrator reading the fiction chapters. It was done very well and it's now easy to reference again with all the short chapters being clearly labeled.

I started doing a weekly meeting as of today with my wife, and we're working on our plantasy. For real, I'm already implementing things from the book. Near the end of the book when MJ talks about staying on track with 1 business, that really gave me a kick in the a$$ to focus and not lose sight. I already made changes this week to my business and my focus. This book is gold on it's own, but it also does so well with the others. Unscripted did a better job of explaining the money system for me, but this book made everything seem more practical and applicable to me personally. I recommend everyone read all of them.

Thank you, MJ for writing the book and for the approach. I'll make sure to write more updates on my business along the way as I have 5 other full-time employees besides myself now and we've grown quite a bit since I posted last. Good things are coming!

Dirtymaco

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 7, 2021
I finished it in 4 days, took notes and created my own summary.
To me it is the best of the 3 books. I fell in love with TMFL and I felt like Unscripted was a brilliant follow up, but this on is better than both.

Also some insightful new stuff. Anyhow great book. Only downside is I gifted it to few friends but cannot be redeemed for non-US citizens. Amazon policy i guess.

Great work

SevenJay

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 12, 2015
When I first wrote here I had read a few chapters, now that I finished it I can only say this is a masterpiece, I loved every bit of it, the editing was done brilliantly, no part of it felt redundant or longer than needed: all meat and no fluff. (Or shoud I say all tofu?). Even the fictional story was nicely filled with little details each carrying a "side lesson", like the 1st class plane ticket, it is a modern parable. I'm left with a strange feeling like when a netflix series ends :D
(And also with a ugly reminder that I have 2 businesses and I should really pick one.....)

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I just finished the book. I have been looking forward to this book ever since I knew you were busy writing a new book, because TMF and Unscripted especially were eye openers that changed my life. I even bought Unscripted twice and made my friends read it.

I hope my review can give some value as a market-echo.

I really like how this book puts the theory into practise with a fictional story. While I don't read fiction mostly, it was written really well, and very relatable in a way. The story really connects and I like the focus on application. It reminds me of the book Built To Sell, which also did this.

I do agree with an earlier comment in this thread about how Unscripted explained the theory more structured and in depth.

I also agree with the comment above that the editing is great with all meat and no fluff. This is also why you are my favourite author. Especially because you shake things up and break the rules and try to do things differently. Your books are just tomes of raw, pure value that are not PC'd by publishers. Like you are personally mentoring the reader with your vast knowledge/experience.

Pros:
- Very well written, capturing story
- Beginner friendly
- The golden nuggets, especially when talking about relatable situations in your own journey
- Focus on applying the theory with fictional example
- All meat, no fluff

Cons:
- Quality of the cover. The plastic is letting loose. Bummer.
- Theory is feels less structured than TMF and Unscripted
- Content page feels obscure compared to TMF and Unscripted

All in all, I really, really liked it. 5/5. (but Unscripted still is #1)

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
The story started at the guy being 27 years old. When I heard(bought audiobook version) the part about him looking in the mirror at work; after begging for just 11 minutes or whatever it was almost stunning. Been there done that. Especially being the same age as the protagonist in the start, it was like listening to my own life. MJ also wrote "there's gotta be more to life than this" (paraphrasing) a few times in there. Which I was saying to myself since I was a teenager.

So many people waste their lives penny pinching and living miserable. And if they don't do that they are financing everything so it's an onsluaught of bill after bill after bill and you get stuck that way. And we all know the most infamous; student loans.

So glad and feel privileged I grew up in a generation (Zillennials/Z) where in my 20's I can have access to this kind of information to keep me from making the mistakes of past generations and learn from their woes. Beauty of the internet.

Thanks again MJ, and everyone else on this forum.

Though most of it I felt I already heard in the other two; the story put things in perspective and can really imagine yourself in that situation. Especially the slow lane path and living "frugal" stuff.

Yeah we heard about it over and over in the first two books about how ineffective it is and how much it sucks but the story put things into perspective vividly for me.

It really nails in the fact that if you truly want to be free you must go Fastlane, there are no alternatives. Especially if you want/have a family. Also shoutout to any and all hardworking fathers on this forum. I know we have a few.

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
Having read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , I can say every time I read one of MJ's books, I have to read them slowly because if I go too fast, I don't give myself time to let it soak in.

Some of the chapters hit me so hard, I want to curl up in a ball and just be like "Crap bro" because there is so much value in the book, it becomes overwhelming.

Value is a long and tough process, and I catch myself when trying to take shortcuts but the desert of low sales, low activity can be brutal on your mindset. It's definitely like running a marathon and it hurts sometimes.

I hope you guys are having success and I highly recommend the read!

Last edited:

FitRay

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 17, 2020
Berlin, Germany
Thanks, @MJ DeMarco , I just finished the e-book version today after a few days of reading and I like it a lot. What fascinates me the most about all your books is, that they motivate me in a very special way:

On one hand, I see all the input, the knowledge, experiences, and detailed descriptions about how things are and how they should be - this is just awesome and moved a lot in my past years. On the other hand, it helps REFLECTING what I'm already doing right - it's like a positive feedback loop regarding my life and business decisions and tells me that I'm mostly on the right track!

Whenever I read one of your books (and be it the third time!) it sets energy free and I have new ideas, how to approach my target market, what to try, to analyze, to adjust - and then I approach my daily side-hustle-time slot with even more energy, power and a smile in my face. And it shows results (prototype online, first sales made, etc.)...

No other book does that to me!

Whenever I need a kick in my a** I just need to open your books and WHAMMM: Productivity hits, ideas, and solutions are popping up - unbelievable.

And there is one additional thing that stands out: The reason for the negative and dark tone at the beginning, where Jeff and Sam feel, that their LIVES suck, is because of their LIVE SITUATIONS. We need to feel the pain before we act and want to escape the rat race. Ultimately the pain is just a bad belief emerging from a false sense of self - a delusion, as Eckhart Tolle's "Power of Now" puts it. But the delusion of suffering is also the delusion of how the rats see the world. It was the first time for me, that I was able to connect entrepreneurship with spiritual enlightenment ... holy s**t!

All that said: What a great book, that I'll recommend as I did with your other books.

NOTE: As a German your English is not the easiest, but if you get used to it, it's also for non-natives nice to read. Well done!

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Just finished the book today. Just wanted to chime in to say that the use of narrative was compelling. I think people will frequently see themselves in those characters and that the use of that fictional story will light a fire under many folks wanting to avoid the mistakes those characters made at first.

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada
@MJ DeMarco About a third of the way through... trying not to rush through it for the sake of finishing and am really sitting with the ideas after each reading session of a few chapters.

I would conclude that anyone that considers themselves a student of the Fastlane/Unscripted philosophies and mindset should definitely grab a copy of this book. Is there some repetition in the learnings from the previous two books? Yes, of course, but I was actually hoping there would be some synergies. In my opinion reading the third book really helps to internalize the key lessons from new angles. Really drives home and emphasizes the key points. Worst case, you get a refresher on teachings from the previous two books. Best case, you are hit upside the head with valuable new material that pushes you forward in your entrepreneurial quest for freedom.

For me, The Value Marriage Strategy (p. 119) chapter is worth the price of the book alone. Read it. Then read it again. Let it sink in, and then read it again. Excited to see what the rest of the book brings.

5/5 from me on the book.

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada
Interesting, it was a chapter that I almost considered cutting as it was a bit granular and prosaic.

Thank you for letting me know.
It really adds some context and parameters to the "adding value" conversation. Value to who? Value compared to what? Is the value properly demonstrated?

I think it has become way too easy and meaningless to say you're focusing on delivering "value" with your business without answering the questions above that you point out in the chapter.

Curious if you're familiar with Alex Osterwalder and the Strategyzer series. To anyone interested in entrepreneurship, I always recommend all of your books first. If it fires up something inside of them and they come back to me for more, I usually follow up with recommending his work on ideation, value props and testing business ideas.

CJH

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2019
Message the forum for the PDF, it looks like the early versions of the audiobook did not have it included.
Didnt message the forum but Audible loaded the attached pdf shortly after posting the message.

Finished the Book. It is the best of the TMF and Unscripted 1 for me. Very relatable as I am a CPA experiencing similar life challenges as the couple are *avoiding spoilers* - Also made personal summaries.

Content wise, Chapter 44 - Fastlane Strategy nicely ties up what I think are the most important Principles and Strategies. Chapter 21 - Asymmetric returns strategy is the "IT" chapter. Just wow.

Manfern

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Yesterday finished GRRE - started with ebook and than switched to audiobook
New book is showing how principles/strategies applied to life situation, about right timing and as a result you'll get more clarity and understanding of well known and new concepts.

Other two books showed the way and I assume also confuse people who never done anything like this before so don't know how and when to apply all this information.

About F.I.R.E. - of course it's not real wealth but a good start I think because of right habits and backup plan: everyone heard stories about entrepreneurs who lost it all.
It's not complete strategy of course and can be first step or part of bigger plan.
People are different and for some retirement can be rewarding enough to do challenging things.

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
Just finished the book—I thought it was wonderful! I expected it to just rehash everything from the previous books, but I actually ended up getting a lot out of it, and the way concepts were put into strategies and principles was organized & helpful. What really resonated with me from this book was how it motivated me to double down on my goals in life/my vision of how I want to live, and it confirmed a lot of the conclusions and realizations I had come to on my own over the past year.

I also loved the use of fiction! At first I was kind of rolling my eyes, finding it a little cheesy, but the Trotmans began to feel like real people to me, and I found myself rooting for them and empathizing with them—I even shed a few tears at one point. It was also a super effective way of driving me to keep reading and of demonstrating how the book's principles could be put into action. Reminds me of how Sidney says that poetry and fiction are more effective than both philosophy and history because the former is too general/abstract while the latter is too particular/specific.

PaulMarin

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 2, 2017
Costar Rica
As most people here, I preordered the eBook at Amazon as soon as I saw it recommended. (Needless to say that I had read TMF in its first year and Unscripted as well )

I finished the book with a renewed passion for MJ's experience. There is a saying between close friends in my neighborhood: "Do you want me to draw it for you?" That said sarcastically to someone who does not understand some concept. This book is like that drawing.

It not only makes some of the "hardest" concepts more real by taking you to that "fictitious world". It also creates a vivid image in your brain and a feeling of having something cooking inside you.

This is a great book to initiate those who are used to read fiction and make them want to read the other books, more focused on the ideas. With great examples as well but with a different structure.

Congrats to MJ! :)

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
Finished the book last week Monday on my kindle and immediately bought the paperback and audible versions of it (that's how I do it with books I love!)

I liked the combination of story and practice. I read the "The goal" which is also a business book which follows a story but that one misses that applicability that MJs book has.

Now going through the physical (and audio) version once again to apply the practices into my entrepreneurial life.

If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Almost done with the audio book. Loving it so far! (I could do without the overt vegan proselytizing but hey it’s not my book).

I like that it stands on its own and introduces new concepts that I imagine MJ fleshed out over the few years writing it.

Instant recommendation from me to anyone seeking entrepreneurship.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
About 70% of the way through. Took awhile to get into the Trotman story and root for them but now I can't wait for them to succeed. Had to take a little break because one of your chapters made me bawl my eyes out. I'll probably finish tomorrow.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
"In any transaction where you are the value provider, the only thing
exchanged is money. Buyers don’t ask for your college transcripts or your credit scores. They don’t ask about your bad driving record, your loveless marriage, or your last five failed businesses. They don’t need a play-by-play on your last church confessional. Everything—from excuses to misdeeds—all are blasted out the window. When you have something people want, you’re never too young, too old, too broke, too uneducated, too straight, too gay, too white, too black, too short, too introverted, too this, or too that. Can you solve my problem and at what price?"

Loved this chapter referencing the bread company.. as being in Oregon I've been a diehard fan of Dave's Killer Bread for years. Truly shows the concepts.

A part of me when I finished this book wanted to give this book to everyone I know that I want to see succeed. Another part of me wants to hold this book and not let it out of my hands because of how much I value it. :p Great work MJ. Well worth the wait, best book yet imo. Shares all of the main principles from the first two books in a quick almost encyclopedic way. The Fastlane Encyclopedia

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Regarding the proselytizing, I had to interject some type of character arcs ... I thought it was the best theme because it related to their business, and I had some personal insight into it as well. I originally was thinking about some child abuse angle, but figured it was too "hot" and difficult to weave in.

Thank you for the recommendations.
It’s actually made me consider becoming vegan or at least definitely eating more vegan meals so in my opinion you did a good job, not because I think that was your goal, but because you must have portrayed it in a good way that didn’t spark the normal pushback reaction people pushing things like that usually does. Initially I was a little turned off by it but I did respect it because it’s your book so of course it’s going to have a part of you in it.

It definitely fits the story well too, driving home that lifestyle and interests are a source of business ideas and problems, and how the fastlane and starting a business can help you achieve good things like saving animals aside from just making money.

Hagi

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 29, 2021
The Netherlands
Read it and loved it. A suggestion for anyone who is trying to get his of her significant other involved: My girlfriend is reading the story about the two characters and their journey because she like to read but finds the theory behind it difficult and less interesting. After she reads a chapter, we discuss the chapter over a cup of coffee while I summarize the underlying principles and strategies to her. This approach worked wonders for us.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Finished the book!

I am a skeptic and question everything and everyone. Even after reading MJ's other books, I approached this one with hesitation. Judge me all you want, but that's who I am.

At some point, I found flaws. Let's discuss them:
  1. @MJ DeMarco watches "My 600 Pound Life" a reality TV show on A&E.
  2. ... nope, that's all I got.
The book was amazing.

I really liked the fact that there are both non-fiction and fiction. The non-fiction part is useful for how to solve problems in your business while the fiction took me a little time to get into but when it connected, it connected on another level.

I had a number of failed businesses and side projects while I was still an employee. Eventually, my decision to quit my full-time job gave me the chance to start my own company--and only then did we manage to get pregnant with my wife. Reading about Trottmans felt like I was there with them, I was rooting for them and yet I also saw reflections of our family and the reminder of hardship that comes with having a kid and a business. And the priceless freedom to be able to spend time with your toddler because of the business. Thank you @MJ DeMarco!

What did I take away?
  1. The asymmetry of the rewards. It seems the book kept coming back to the same concept that investing in yourself, your own business, while risky, is positively skewed to having a massive return on that investment. It's asymmetric in a good way. Plenty of examples of asymmetry in a bad way too, like doing something stupid while drunk that could cost you a marriage, or life etc. I just loved this part, if there was one thing to take away it has to be this (for me). It seems most other topics circle around this one key concept.
  2. The easier it to start a business, the harder it will be later. And the reverse is true! While it is an example of the above mentioned asymmetry, I found it to be the most potent example. The reason is because it goes to show one thing, comfortable isn't likely to be very profitable. It is not only OK to be struggling with starting a business, it is a good thing if you are! I am happy to share that I speak from experience, as our business had massive barriers to entry and is doing very well.
Conclusion: just f**ing loved it.

Hayden Aquilon

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 6, 2018
Austin, TX
@MJ DeMarco Currently on page 362 and I just got it a few days ago. I can't put it down. The book has already made me $109 (principle #85). I just was purchasing a steel dock plate for my warehouse and I said, hell, I need to look and see if I can get a coupon code for this bad boy (15% off found on retail me not immediately). Cha ching! Thanks MJ!

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
About 3 hours left on the audio book here.
I must say your Kermit the Frog impression is spot on @MJ DeMarco
And those steamy paragraphs, oh my. Lol

On a more serious note, this book couldn't land at a better time. I've been in the desert of desertion for some years, slaggishly picking away at ideas I didn't care much for. I recently had a breakthrough, and this is stoking the flames, and reminding me of the principles that matter.

Thanks for your books MJ, I think in the coming years they will prove to be life-changing.

Much love to all of you

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
This book shows how much MJ’s writing skills have improved over the years, every concept explained is easily understood and, thanks to Jeff and Sam, more relatable.

All concepts are essential to becoming unscripted , this book restored my faith and brought more awareness and energy to my life =) Thanks MJ

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
Just read it, pretty good book. Comes across as a refinement and reiteration of previous ideas, plus the included fictional narrative of the couple who made it using the methods was well played. I picked up a few additional good ideas, and even if you don't (in which case if you really know all that you've just received a tip that your problem isn't your knowledge) its good repetition to hear it again, like a coach's pep talk.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
I just finished reading it today. There's a LOT in there - it's the kind of book to reread a couple of times, to let each of the concepts sink in while working along with it and getting the work done. I loved it, and am restarting it again this weekend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.