The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've made £610 in 16 days using Etsy in a brand new sector.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
That would be really amazing.
I contacted Facebook support as per your suggestion, after a long drawn out conversation, I ended up with 'how to' guides.
Not exactly the result I was after.

Let me know what services you offer and I will gladly look, I can't promise I can invest though, as you've read my story, money is sparse atm.

Thanks!

I only want to help you gain some traction, so consider it a favor, not a service. PM me some screenshots of the problem along with a brief explanation and we'll try to figure it out remotely if possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
I only want to help you gain some traction, so consider it a favor, not a service. PM me some screenshots of the problem along with a brief explanation and we'll try to figure it out remotely if possible.
Will get onto this tonight. this is amazing thank you

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Awesome progress! I have just launched my own e-com brand in the UK and I have to ask, how do you go about international shipping? Assuming you package everything and send it off yourself, small parcel prices to the US are pretty pricey.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
A very very inspiring story! The comments made by the Government towards your industry is disgusting, and the posters/ads were incredibly patronizing.

By the way, how did you pick up a laser cutter for so cheap?

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Awesome progress! I have just launched my own e-com brand in the UK and I have to ask, how do you go about international shipping? Assuming you package everything and send it off yourself, small parcel prices to the US are pretty pricey.

Hey, I just looked at what everyone else was charging.
I very occasionally take a loss of a couple of quid but Im happy with that as international orders tend to be over £30.

Ive got 3 international shipping profiles.

Ive screenshot them and added below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.01.49.png

Forgot to add you need to grab some International Customs labels for free from the Post Office and use them to stick on the front of parcels for orders sent to anywhere other than Europe.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
A very very inspiring story! The comments made by the Government towards your industry is disgusting, and the posters/ads were incredibly patronizing.

By the way, how did you pick up a laser cutter for so cheap?
Erm... don't know google? lol
Its not high end, its not a large bed - its an A4 sized bed, we don't need a large one. Maybe thats why ?

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Another update for you all.
We are currently Week 8 since launch.

I've still not linked Facebook to Shopify, but to be honest, Ive not had time to look, it is busy and not ending, wahoooo.

Heres the latest stats.

ETSY STORE
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.18.13.png

I've also added where the traffic came from - this is total since opening, it seems the Etsy app itself is working alone as I don't send any Instagram traffic there since opening my shopify store.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.18.36.png
I put 1$ per day on ads a couple of times and didn't really 'feel' the payment so used it for a little while, but currently don't have any ads on either platforms at the moment.

SHOPIFY STORE.

For a brand new store, according to shopify, its in the top 28% of well performing new stores, which a good , I guess!

Heres the latest figures.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.24.39.png

We have hit the international stage, and posted a good few places now, it also looks like we are getting found from direct search despite not concentrating fully on any SEO as yet.
Ive added Google My Business and verified and also added SEO to 50% of my images.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.25.08.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.25.38.png

I've soon realised my workload is absolutely mental - the kids were also off school for 2 weeks and go back to school tomorrow, however our government in the UK have decided to put our country on FULL lockdown for a month so I'm expecting more busy times as everyone heads to e-commerce to shop for Christmas.
We haven't even had time for new product development, we are definitely doing this , this week because the couple of Christmas items that were easily transferable to produce have sold in immediately so we've got to put the hours in. Not like I'm not anyway ...

Things are going great, I'm very proud of myself and looking forward to carrying on.

Thank you for all your support.

Forgot to add my latest Instagram stats...

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 08.47.09.png

Last edited:

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Very cool!

Now that you are building a list of customers... is there anything else you can sell them?
I don't even have the capacity to think about email marketing.
I know I need to do, but the mounds of orders means Im doing social media and packing orders.
I expect to get round to this in the next few weeks for a big Xmas last Time launch.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Congrats on thriving during these tumultuous times, excited to continue watching your journey!

Have you put any more thought into launching on Facebook? Could be useful during this lockdown period and Christmas.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Hey, I just looked at what everyone else was charging.
I very occasionally take a loss of a couple of quid but Im happy with that as international orders tend to be over £30.

Ive got 3 international shipping profiles.

Ive screenshot them and added below.

View attachment 35513

Forgot to add you need to grab some International Customs labels for free from the Post Office and use them to stick on the front of parcels for orders sent to anywhere other than Europe.
Thanks for that.

freshwatermedia

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 17, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Hey @Jemmalee
I love your story thus far; you're a great example of never giving up.
I've worked in the print & design sector for several years now; I've been looking at adding an acrylic cutter to the business. Which model have you been using and how are you finding it? What's the maintenance / consumable cost like?

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Congrats on thriving during these tumultuous times, excited to continue watching your journey!

Have you put any more thought into launching on Facebook? Could be useful during this lockdown period and Christmas.

Its time, theres not enough of it at the moment. I spend all afternoon packing orders,
all morning sorting orders, running Instagram etc,

Its definitely on the cards as and when I can get to it.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Hey @Jemmalee
I love your story thus far; you're a great example of never giving up.
I've worked in the print & design sector for several years now; I've been looking at adding an acrylic cutter to the business. Which model have you been using and how are you finding it? What's the maintenance / consumable cost like?

Hi

Thanks
Its a K40 Laser Cutter.
Its a basic model.
If you can invest Id recommend a HPC.
We now have 2 of the above due to demand, but as we grow, so will the quality of the equipment.

Running it, apart from something to keep the water cool (distilled water), not much!

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
UPDATED STATS

Instagram

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 21.14.46.png
Continued engagement and now have a friendly bunch of people whom I chat with regularly and are regular customers.

The negative bit - Ive attracted the likes of the big boy companies, where it appears I have rustled feathers.
Snarky hidden captions and hashtags aimed at me, my little new brand in the UK against these huge companies that have been going for some years and are very well established,

The word on the street - Im tipping the edge of the industry, and they don't like it!
Consistent customer service, consistent and new content and product releases and the quickest turnaround many have know.
Seems to work.

Etsy
Etsy seems to attract most of my international custom, which a great.
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 21.15.07.png
Shopify
Im in the top 13% of stores that opened at the same time. Im happy with that!

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 21.15.40.png

All in all, its been a manic couple of weeks, I feel drained but can see the light at the of tunnel and its pretty damn amazing.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
@Jemmalee - Awesome work! Any tips on growing Instagram followers? I have no idea what to post. I actually hired someone to help do my social media, because I’m so bad at it.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
@Jemmalee - Awesome work! Any tips on growing Instagram followers? I have no idea what to post. I actually hired someone to help do my social media, because I’m so bad at it.
Sorry for delay Ive been busy as anything - lead up to Xmas etc..

I went all on Insta. Not used any other platform - well I have Facebook and Pinterest but they are just resharing Instagram or Etsy content.

I literally spend all day and night on it.
I reply to DM's within an hour.I reply to every single comment.
I go and engage on other peoples profiles. I have conversations on DM's.
Upload some pics.
Thats literally it!
They typical stuff.
I think I just got my target market right this time as I have tried to grow profiles before and not managed very well, but it was half hearted and this time it was like ride or die.
So at a guess - about 2-3 hours of my day (split into odd minutes etc) is spent on Instagram.
Effectively thats what they want - you to use their platform over others.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
AH... its been 6 weeks since my last update and boy how things have changed.

Firstly, heres the up to date stats from opening on September 7th until today (11 Jan 2021).

Instagram Following

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 22.48.08.png
We've grown by almost double in following. Have used paid ads totalling £300 so far on some products posts. All with good engagement and sales.

Etsy Stats
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 22.48.27.png
Etsy has also doubled in the past 6 weeks. Now more trusted, plenty of 5 star reviews and regular returning customers.

Shopify Stats

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 22.49.30.png

£11k in a new brand in a new industry.

We have also had around £1k in private wholesale orders adding with easy, we've turned over over £17 k.

We've now headed to google ads - despite the fact I know nothing about it, I am learning as I go, with a £5 per day ad, which is receiving traction and sales, so is working to some extent.

So, we launched our 'Valentines' range on the 3rd Jan.
It blew up. Totally, and in all truth it has been completely overwhelming and hard work, day in day out packing orders, dealing with customers, running everything and then covid kept the kids off school, its been a frickin whirlwind.

I listened to TMF and US again. To try and take some more info in.

When I look at the growth speed, I vision our next move to be into Unit space with 1 staff member. I aim to do this by June, as working from home has benefits but not when your dining area looks like a warehouse...

Its just 'covid' difficult and everything is on hold until a) we catch up with these orders and b) the kids are back at school.

When thinking TMF , Ive been wondering about growth and the next steps to become more 'free' in the brand.

It has the potential to turn over a million yes, but I'm not sure it will become a billion type of business.
We opened a side kick business to this that focussed more on a different target market (as this one is very niche) which will expand eventually, but time... again, our huge launch has driven us into crazy land.

I also can't see us slowing down until early summer, as the community were in, have big things happening on all the key dates, mothers day, easter, fathers day etc so once summer falls I imagine it to chill so slightly so we can have a couple month gap with no launches - maybe that will be the moving time..

This is the first business I've created that has shared this success, £17k in 3 months may not seem much to others but for me to have made that from my dining room table, bestows me.

I've had some s**t, Ive had competitors block us, bully us and copyright our designs and then threaten legal action to remove them, Ive had abuse and ridiculous tactics to try and shut us down because they can't deal with our success.... I've taken in my stride and continued to do what I set out to do. Serve the community I am in.

Here's to 2021

scoles

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 12, 2016

Firstly, heres the up to date stats from opening on September 7th until today (11 Jan 2021).

Instagram Following

View attachment 36336
We've grown by almost double in following. Have used paid ads totalling £300 so far on some products posts. All with good engagement and sales.

Etsy Stats
View attachment 36337
Etsy has also doubled in the past 6 weeks. Now more trusted, plenty of 5 star reviews and regular returning customers.

Shopify Stats

View attachment 36338

We have also had around £1k in private wholesale orders adding with easy, we've turned over over £17 k.

We've now headed to google ads - despite the fact I know nothing about it, I am learning as I go, with a £5 per day ad, which is receiving traction and sales, so is working to some extent.

It blew up. Totally, and in all truth it has been completely overwhelming and hard work, day in day out packing orders, dealing with customers, running everything and then covid kept the kids off school, its been a frickin whirlwind.

When I look at the growth speed, I vision our next move to be into Unit space with 1 staff member. I aim to do this by June, as working from home has benefits but not when your dining area looks like a warehouse...

Its just 'covid' difficult and everything is on hold until a) we catch up with these orders and b) the kids are back at school.

When thinking TMF , Ive been wondering about growth and the next steps to become more 'free' in the brand.

It has the potential to turn over a million yes, but I'm not sure it will become a billion type of business.
We opened a side kick business to this that focussed more on a different target market (as this one is very niche) which will expand eventually, but time... again, our huge launch has driven us into crazy land.

I also can't see us slowing down until early summer, as the community were in, have big things happening on all the key dates, mothers day, easter, fathers day etc so once summer falls I imagine it to chill so slightly so we can have a couple month gap with no launches - maybe that will be the moving time..

This is the first business I've created that has shared this success, £17k in 3 months may not seem much to others but for me to have made that from my dining room table, bestows me.

I've had some s**t, Ive had competitors block us, bully us and copyright our designs and then threaten legal action to remove them, Ive had abuse and ridiculous tactics to try and shut us down because they can't deal with our success.... I've taken in my stride and continued to do what I set out to do. Serve the community I am in.

Here's to 2021
Fantastic results, are you still managing with the basic laser cutter or have you had to upgrade to a faster unit?

mssharlenes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 11, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
I thought I had better pop on and give you lot a little update about my current wares.

So our lovely Prime Minister announced that none of Event industry folk are going to have any work until around March 2021.

This left us pretty screwed - with emails asking for refunds on a daily basis.

A whole family unit, no income whatsoever (apart from the lovely government grant for self employed of £2k for 6 months..)

I had been messing around with Cake Toppers for a friend who had started baking in lockdown.

We had a machine and some acrylic. (They are around £130 to buy - acrylic about £18 per sheet).
I had £48 left in my bank account. I used an empty credit card to invest in some acrylic sheets (£70) I am Debt free - so this has already paid itself back.

I designed a brand, launched an Etsy Store, took some photos and went all in via Instagram (note this is temporary until I have time to finish the shopify store).

I went all in - commenting, sharing, engaging, talking, being honest, it took a few hours a day for sure, but made me 87 sales in 16 days.
View attachment 35070

I have made relationships I would have never before, been thrown into an industry that I find somewhat interesting and managed to gain 1290 followers (I know.. its not about numbers) in 16 days too.

View attachment 35072

We have not stopped. We have been WOWED with the amazing feedback - mainly about the customer service. I engaged with people, I made them feel good about purchasing, I helped them.
Like @MJ DeMarco said - Find something and do it better - this is a PRIME example of that.

View attachment 35073View attachment 35074

I've had so many messages about our order process time and quality of goods and service. Lots have slagged off other brands but I don't engage and reply about something else.

I've made £610 in 16 days. That is profit of £538. The upsell on some bits of plastic is good.(It says 56 orders - 87 sales is every single product purchased).
View attachment 35071

I have orders every single day and waking up to those 'chi-china' sounds from my Etsy store is such a fantastic feeling.

Our product range can expand ten fold due to the ease of producing and designing products the customer base need.
I timed at people that 'work' with the items not direct public. So the bakers of the industry.

I did a couple of collaborations, f**ked up on a few orders with packaging as we scrambled our way through order sheets BUT responded quickly and replaced breakages same day despatch to retain their custom - all which have purchased again.

I've been contacted by larger brands about wholesale, and I'm just so blown away at this whirlwind of something BRAND new to the industry and the take off.

I've spent 2 weeks designing a logo before and planning without execution and got no nowhere.

I picked a really simple name, purchased the domain, checked copyright and any other legal stuff and ran with it.

Despite being fully booked in my events business from 2021 to end of 2022 onwards, I will deal with that when the government decides we can work again, but for now it can get stuffed.
(If anyone in the UK has heard the news today, that a Lord stated in parliament that event industry workers should go and get a 'better job' - you can understand my angst).

So, there it is.
I now have to launch the shopify store and keep building the product range and brand and my hope is that it will replace my event sector income in the next 3 months.
Our most popular product costs £0.008 to make + time (approx 3 minutes). Its a winner for me.
The next move is bigger and faster machines.
Email capture and marketing and ads.

I am LOVING this journey after such a crap year, I am finally happy to say - I am HAPPY!
Huge props to you for fighting your way through a tough situation.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016

Instagram Following

View attachment 36336

Etsy Stats
View attachment 36337

Shopify Stats

View attachment 36338

Here's to 2021

Hey Jemma, it's awesome your brand is growing organically - sure PPC ads could easily bring you thousands per day but what you're doing is even better, a slow-burn kind of deal.

I'd heavily recommend this Google Ads course: Guide To Google AdWords Training: Turn Profit With PPC

It's reaaally in-depth but a lot of stuff is just going to click for you at some point. It's well-worth the money and you can drag it on for months, putting in 30 minutes a day or what have you.

Keep shitting on the competition!

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Hey Jemma, it's awesome your brand is growing organically - sure PPC ads could easily bring you thousands per day but what you're doing is even better, a slow-burn kind of deal.

I'd heavily recommend this Google Ads course: Guide To Google AdWords Training: Turn Profit With PPC

It's reaaally in-depth but a lot of stuff is just going to click for you at some point. It's well-worth the money and you can drag it on for months, putting in 30 minutes a day or what have you.

Keep shitting on the competition!
Thank you

will take a look at that.

I will more than likely spend 3 days hyper focussing on it and learning the whole thing so all is good ...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you

will take a look at that.

I will more than likely spend 3 days hyper focussing on it and learning the whole thing so all is good ...

Oh, yes, that's always an option too.

Just don't miss out on the discount - it's currently sitting at €14.99 which ends in 5 hours and will be back to full price for at least the next couple of weeks or so.

Pro tip: Try failing the checkout once (or just exiting it, then going into checkout again) and you'll get an even better offer, like €12.99 or similar.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
Jeeezzz hasn’t it been a while.

I moved home and so much has happened since our last update.

I write this update with very mixed feelings.
based upon the fact that I’ve realised every industry is tainted with bad stuff!

We’re still going, still making money but had a couple of family members pass and we’ve not actively worked too much on growing and have kinda remained in a lingo for a little while.
All that said, we have huge competition with companies that have been going well over 10 years try to steal our customers by approaching them, copying our products, you name it, we’ve experienced it in all in latter months, and I’ve got to say, it’s been very very hard.
However…

here’s the figures .
Instagram…. We are still growing HOWEVER many whom started AFTER us have now overtaken our following count but there’s also talk of many of them buying followers…

89FCD960-83DA-4455-A13D-6AA40A2090E9.jpeg

Etsy

we couldn’t cope with the amount of orders so closed international sales temporarily to tick over whilst the stuff at home ticked over.

5BB7DD5F-22D3-4835-949C-99CF3F9F1239.jpeg
Shopify…

8E6977C9-78E9-4384-852E-8FBE08C69273.jpeg
Ya know, to say we’ve started with zero and I’ve personally done all the work myself, from photography to the Shopify store to packing the orders and maintaining the socials and financials and all that jazz, we can’t moan, but I can’t help but feel a little bad knowing we could do so much more.

Tasks for improvement…

website overhaul. Images desperately need re shooting.
Product description and overall SEO needs a lot of work.
Financial understanding of profit needs sorting (hello accountant that we’ve recently hired)
Branding - nailing this on the head, finalising it and sticking to it.

love to know you thoughts guys

Hampus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 29, 2021
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
@Jemmalee this is very impressive, huge congrats on taking something simple, running with it, and getting this far. And my condolences about your family member that passed, sorry to hear that.

I'm curious about this industry so have couple of questions for you if you don't mind sharing:
  • You mentioned in the beginning of the thread you were targeting bakeries to get recurring B2B customers. Is this a strategy you've stuck with or you just used it to get started? Do you have a sense for what percentage of the total 50K in sales has been B2B vs B2C. And what % is recurring vs non-recurring?
  • Have you expanded into other products or stuck 100% with the cake toppers?
  • Have you expanded you production capacity? Additional entry-level cutters or bigger ones?
  • What do you think your total profit is out of the 50K? What are the biggest expenses?
  • Do you want to share your IG/Shoppify or are you staying anonymous?
Cheers from Philadelphia

CRS123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 10, 2021
I thought I had better pop on and give you lot a little update about my current wares.

So our lovely Prime Minister announced that none of Event industry folk are going to have any work until around March 2021.

This left us pretty screwed - with emails asking for refunds on a daily basis.

A whole family unit, no income whatsoever (apart from the lovely government grant for self employed of £2k for 6 months..)

I had been messing around with Cake Toppers for a friend who had started baking in lockdown.

We had a machine and some acrylic. (They are around £130 to buy - acrylic about £18 per sheet).
I had £48 left in my bank account. I used an empty credit card to invest in some acrylic sheets (£70) I am Debt free - so this has already paid itself back.

I designed a brand, launched an Etsy Store, took some photos and went all in via Instagram (note this is temporary until I have time to finish the shopify store).

I went all in - commenting, sharing, engaging, talking, being honest, it took a few hours a day for sure, but made me 87 sales in 16 days.
View attachment 35070

I have made relationships I would have never before, been thrown into an industry that I find somewhat interesting and managed to gain 1290 followers (I know.. its not about numbers) in 16 days too.

View attachment 35072

We have not stopped. We have been WOWED with the amazing feedback - mainly about the customer service. I engaged with people, I made them feel good about purchasing, I helped them.
Like @MJ DeMarco said - Find something and do it better - this is a PRIME example of that.

View attachment 35073View attachment 35074

I've had so many messages about our order process time and quality of goods and service. Lots have slagged off other brands but I don't engage and reply about something else.

I've made £610 in 16 days. That is profit of £538. The upsell on some bits of plastic is good.(It says 56 orders - 87 sales is every single product purchased).
View attachment 35071

I have orders every single day and waking up to those 'chi-china' sounds from my Etsy store is such a fantastic feeling.

Our product range can expand ten fold due to the ease of producing and designing products the customer base need.
I timed at people that 'work' with the items not direct public. So the bakers of the industry.

I did a couple of collaborations, f**ked up on a few orders with packaging as we scrambled our way through order sheets BUT responded quickly and replaced breakages same day despatch to retain their custom - all which have purchased again.

I've been contacted by larger brands about wholesale, and I'm just so blown away at this whirlwind of something BRAND new to the industry and the take off.

I've spent 2 weeks designing a logo before and planning without execution and got no nowhere.

I picked a really simple name, purchased the domain, checked copyright and any other legal stuff and ran with it.

Despite being fully booked in my events business from 2021 to end of 2022 onwards, I will deal with that when the government decides we can work again, but for now it can get stuffed.
(If anyone in the UK has heard the news today, that a Lord stated in parliament that event industry workers should go and get a 'better job' - you can understand my angst).

So, there it is.
I now have to launch the shopify store and keep building the product range and brand and my hope is that it will replace my event sector income in the next 3 months.
Our most popular product costs £0.008 to make + time (approx 3 minutes). Its a winner for me.
The next move is bigger and faster machines.
Email capture and marketing and ads.

I am LOVING this journey after such a crap year, I am finally happy to say - I am HAPPY!
This is a success story everyone needs in these pandemic times! well done!

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
@Jemmalee this is very impressive, huge congrats on taking something simple, running with it, and getting this far. And my condolences about your family member that passed, sorry to hear that.

I'm curious about this industry so have couple of questions for you if you don't mind sharing:
  • You mentioned in the beginning of the thread you were targeting bakeries to get recurring B2B customers. Is this a strategy you've stuck with or you just used it to get started? Do you have a sense for what percentage of the total 50K in sales has been B2B vs B2C. And what % is recurring vs non-recurring?
  • Have you expanded into other products or stuck 100% with the cake toppers?
  • Have you expanded you production capacity? Additional entry-level cutters or bigger ones?
  • What do you think your total profit is out of the 50K? What are the biggest expenses?
  • Do you want to share your IG/Shoppify or are you staying anonymous?
Cheers from Philadelphia
Hi
We stuck with B2B.
We do get B2C since adding ClearpAy/Afterpay from the traffic source of their website, however it is around 10%.

we expanded our products and now offer approximately 150 variants over 25 types of product.

we added a much better machine which helped workload

out of 50k profit is approximately 30k

The only reason I stay anonymous is because it wouldn’t surprise me our competitors are here

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.