What's new

From a $250/month job to a $2,500 contract: TMF is the best 3-bucks investment I've made in my life

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

IsaacCP9

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
August 1, 2017.

That's the day I bought The Millionaire Fastlane out of the Kindle store as an Amazon recommendation. Funny enough, I generally take a look at summaries and all kind of reviews before reading a book. This time I didn't. So I really didn't know what to expect.

At the time I was on a vacation from my $250/month, part-time job here in the Dominican Republic. I was also pursuing a couple of "passive income" opportunities—Kindle publishing, Amazon niche sites, etc.

Needless to say, that same month I quit my job and stopped pursuing those ventures.

A lot happened from August to December. There are actually two sides of the story since I've been (kinda) violating monogamy and working on two things. But to keep things simple let's just talk about one for now.

FREELANCING FOR CASH, EXPERIENCE, AND INDUSTRY-KNOWLEDGE

Long story short, I was unable to reach $100/month for the rest of the year until I found an opportunity to work as a virtual assistant in a digital marketing agency for $400/month—part-time.

Nothing fancy. "But hey, it's more than you had. And you'll work from home," I reasoned.

So I took the job. I worked on prospecting and lead generation (cold emailing businesses owners) for the next 6 months.

After sending ~1000 cold emails (not for me, but for the agency) two important things happened:
1 - I had learned a skill (lead generation): I got insights as to what works and what doesn't when it comes to cold email.
2 - I detected an opportunity: the agency was serving SaaS businesses, and I was visiting their websites and jumping on their free trials. Already knowing a thing or two about copywriting most of them sucked... and I knew I could help.

So I said to myself, "Wait a second, this cold email thing is working. Why not use it to get freelance copywriting clients for myself?" And that's exactly what I did.

Just to test the waters I started charging $US440 then $US600 then $US1250 for a 10-15-email sequence.

Now, confident in my ability to deliver results, I'm comfortable charging anywhere between $US1500-$US3000 for a 15-20-email onboarding sequence.

This month I closed a $US2380 contract for a 20-email sequence.

Another reason I decided to serve SaaS is so that I can get familiar with the industry. I'd love to build a SaaS product later on. (More on that later.)

A year ago my English was, let's just say, "Intermediate." I read a ton of books to perfect it. And practiced a lot.

It's still far from perfect. But if I, as a non-native English speaker, was able to do it. You can, too.

Key takeaways for those freelancing:
1 - Position yourself to solve a particular problem: I'm positioned specifically as an onboarding copywriter for SaaS. That and only that.
2 - Direct contact over freelance platforms: I know our millennial generation don't want to hear this, but talking to people on the phone is what will allow to forge a business relationship and build rapport faster. Reach out to business owners/managers.

Things I did wrong:

1 - I waited too long: I "studied" copywriting for over 6 months before attempting to get my first client. I should have done that from day 1—or at least from day 31.

THE "OTHER" VENTURE

Okay. So all of that has been part-time (20-40hr/week). But I have been consistently working around 60-65hr/week.

I feel it's a sustainable amount of work. And I can keep up with it for the next 5 years—or more.

Although I know I could earn $3-5k per month freelancing full-time, for Fastlane reasons, it's something I'm hesitant to do.

So in the hours left, I've been building a blog in the Spanish market all about freelancing, my progress and all the successes and failures in the process.

I analyzed the market. And the average advice is "bid on jobs." So I know I can definitely deliver something better.

Following this free training (FIMP) I was able to go from 0 to 15,000 visitors/month in the last 7 months.

The Spanish market is sooooooo much less competitive than the English market search engine-wise. That's one of the reasons I decided to go that route. Also, I have the ability to add a ton of value by language arbitrage—reading and taking courses from English, established freelancers, testing strategies with my own freelance businesses, and then talking about it on the blog.

I'm shy of 500 email subscribers at this point—growing at a ~100-subscribers-per-month ratio. And I'm building an online training all about building a freelance website, positioning yourself to a particular type of client, and sending cold emails to get your first clients as a newbie.

I'm following Ramit's ZTL system to launch the product. And I plan on launching by Aug 15 at a $27 early-bird discount. Then $47. And probably $97 or more as I stack on more value—a community, more content, etc.

WHAT LIES AHEAD - GOING FASTLANE

Building an audience allows me to have a ton of options. So here are some of the things I have in mind (in order of preference):

Option 1 - Expand online training

Expand topic-wise and start teaching not only "freelancing" and "get clients." But also copywriting to freelancers—and potentially businesses—in the Spanish market.

Now that I'm seeing fast traction, I know I could monetize offering both training, copywriting services or even coaching.

Option 2 - SaaS as an "Expert"

As the audience grows, I could potentially build a SaaS targeted to my audience.

Becoming well-known for something and then building a SaaS product is a great strategy—think Russell Brunson and Clickfunnels, Brennan Dunn and Planscope, Joanna Wiebe and AirStory.

I could build some of the tools freelancers usually need—online proposals, project management, or a full suite like Bonsai.

Now that I'm equipped with overall marketing knowledge—copywriting, market research, SEO, content marketing, email marketing, etc.—I'd feel confident to partner up with a technical guy and try to build something more scalable and "sellable" than an online training blog.

I've been networking with some technical guys. But still haven't found "the one." Time will tell.

Option 3 - Scale the service-based business

I'm not sure if I want to scale the freelance business to an agency. Too much overhead.

I'd rather scale a high-margin business—say, options above.

But I could productized the whole onboarding sequence writing process, outsource it and scale it. Maybe even offer other writing services over time. Services I know SaaS businesses need—blog posts, landing pages, etc.

I've outsourced my own proofreading every now and then. And have been thinking about outsourcing lead gen. But I'd like to explore the above options first. Purely based on preference.

Obviously, I'm willing to let myself be lead by the market. Not by personal preferences.

But, yeah, that's my story one year after reading Fastlane.

Just wanted to make a quick update.

I'd be happy to provide more value on what I've learned so far. So thoughts or questions—both on my progress and my future options—are welcomed.

On my way,
Isaac

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
vjeplt gus tjesoph zuas tvusz

Duphsevt nep, epf zua qodlif aq Iphmotj! Onqsittowi!

Vji siem raitvoup jisi ot... jux vji jimm fof zua hiv VNG gus 3 cadlt?@!... o qeof moli 10 gus ov :sehi:

Vjepl zua gus zuas tvusz, wisz onqsittowi.
Epf emtu vjepl gus vji GONQ mopl, O'mm jewi e muul et O xet edvaemmz muuloph gus e qsuhsen moli vjev.

Hsiev tvusz nep! Duamf O QN zua e duaqmi ug raitvoupt ecuav dumf ineomoph?

Vjeplt gus vji optohjv. Dep ot Tii epf iyenqmi ug e teet ineom tiraipdi?

Tipv gsun nz oQjupi atoph Veqeveml

Hsiev tvusz nep! Duamf O QN zua e duaqmi ug raitvoupt ecuav dumf ineomoph?
Gus tasi nep. Hu ejief. Giim gsii vu tjuuv ni ev oteed@duqzupcuesf.dun O nohjv eptxis getvis.

Vjeplt gus vji optohjv. Dep ot Tii epf iyenqmi ug e teet ineom tiraipdi?

Tipv gsun nz oQjupi atoph Veqeveml

FN ni epf O dep tipf zua ep iyenqmi. Emvjuahj ov siemmz wesoit up vji vzqi ug TeeT, vji veshiv nesliv, ivd., tu katv tiioph vji duqz epf vji gmux xovjuav apfistvepfoph xjev't cijopf ov nohjv puv ci eqqsuqsoevi.

Vjeplt gus tjesoph zuas tvusz OteedDQ9, ov optqosit e muv vu puv howoph aq, itqidoemmz gus qiuqmi moli ni. Dep O jewi ep iyenqmi ug zuas dumf ineomt op FN? O'n wisz dasouat ecuav vji tvsevihz

Eahatv 1, 2017.

Vjev't vji fez O cuahjv Vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi uav ug vji Lopfmi tvusi et ep Enebup sidunnipfevoup. Gappz ipuahj, O hipisemmz veli e muul ev tannesoit epf emm lopf ug siwoixt cigusi siefoph e cuul. Vjot voni O fofp'v. Tu O siemmz fofp'v lpux xjev vu iyqidv.

Ev vji voni O xet up e wedevoup gsun nz $250/nupvj, qesv-voni kuc jisi op vji Funopodep Siqacmod. O xet emtu qastaoph e duaqmi ug "qettowi opduni" uqqusvapovoit—Lopfmi qacmotjoph, Enebup podji tovit, ivd.

Piifmitt vu tez, vjev teni nupvj O raov nz kuc epf tvuqqif qastaoph vjuti wipvasit.

E muv jeqqipif gsun Eahatv vu Fidincis. Vjisi esi edvaemmz vxu tofit ug vji tvusz topdi O'wi ciip (lopfe) woumevoph nupuhenz epf xusloph up vxu vjopht. Cav vu liiq vjopht tonqmi miv't katv veml ecuav upi gus pux.

GSIIMEPDOPH GUS DETJ, IYQISOIPDI, EPF OPFATVSZ-LPUXMIFHI

Muph tvusz tjusv, O xet apecmi vu siedj $100/nupvj gus vji sitv ug vji zies apvom O guapf ep uqqusvapovz vu xusl et e wosvaem ettotvepv op e fohovem neslivoph ehipdz gus $400/nupvj—qesv-voni.

Puvjoph gepdz. "Cav jiz, ov't nusi vjep zua jef. Epf zua'mm xusl gsun juni," O sietupif.

Tu O vuul vji kuc. O xuslif up qsutqidvoph epf mief hipisevoup (dumf ineomoph catopittit uxpist) gus vji piyv 6 nupvjt.

Egvis tipfoph ~1000 dumf ineomt (puv gus ni, cav gus vji ehipdz) vxu onqusvepv vjopht jeqqipif:
1 - O jef miespif e tlomm (mief hipisevoup): O huv optohjvt et vu xjev xuslt epf xjev fuitp'v xjip ov dunit vu dumf ineom.
2 - O fividvif ep uqqusvapovz: vji ehipdz xet tiswoph TeeT catopittit, epf O xet wotovoph vjios xictovit epf kanqoph up vjios gsii vsoemt. Emsiefz lpuxoph e vjoph us vxu ecuav duqzxsovoph nutv ug vjin tadlif... epf O lpix O duamf jimq.

Tu O teof vu nztimg, "Xeov e tidupf, vjot dumf ineom vjoph ot xusloph. Xjz puv ati ov vu hiv gsiimepdi duqzxsovoph dmoipvt gus nztimg?" Epf vjev't iyedvmz xjev O fof.

Katv vu vitv vji xevist O tvesvif djeshoph $AT440 vjip $AT600 vjip $AT1250 gus e 10-15-ineom tiraipdi.

Pux, dupgofipv op nz ecomovz vu fimowis sitamvt, O'n dungusvecmi djeshoph epzxjisi civxiip $AT1500-$AT3000 gus e 15-20-ineom upcuesfoph tiraipdi.

Vjot nupvj O dmutif e $AT2380 dupvsedv gus e 20-ineom tiraipdi.

Epuvjis sietup O fidofif vu tiswi TeeT ot tu vjev O dep hiv genomoes xovj vji opfatvsz. O'f muwi vu caomf e TeeT qsufadv mevis up. (Nusi up vjev mevis.)

E zies ehu nz Iphmotj xet, miv't katv tez, "Opvisnifoevi." O sief e vup ug cuult vu qisgidv ov. Epf qsedvodif e muv.

Ov't tvomm ges gsun qisgidv. Cav og O, et e pup-pevowi Iphmotj tqielis, xet ecmi vu fu ov. Zua dep, vuu.

Liz veliexezt gus vjuti gsiimepdoph:
1 - Qutovoup zuastimg vu tumwi e qesvodames qsucmin: O'n qutovoupif tqidogodemmz et ep upcuesfoph duqzxsovis gus TeeT. Vjev epf upmz vjev.
2 - Fosidv dupvedv uwis gsiimepdi qmevgusnt: O lpux uas nommippoem hipisevoup fup'v xepv vu jies vjot, cav vemloph vu qiuqmi up vji qjupi ot xjev xomm emmux vu gushi e catopitt simevouptjoq epf caomf seqqusv getvis. Siedj uav vu catopitt uxpist/nepehist.

Vjopht O fof xsuph:

1 - O xeovif vuu muph: O "tvafoif" duqzxsovoph gus uwis 6 nupvjt cigusi evvinqvoph vu hiv nz gostv dmoipv. O tjuamf jewi fupi vjev gsun fez 1—us ev mietv gsun fez 31.

VJI "UVJIS" WIPVASI

Ulez. Tu emm ug vjev jet ciip qesv-voni (20-40js/xiil). Cav O jewi ciip duptotvipvmz xusloph esuapf 60-65js/xiil.

O giim ov't e tatveopecmi enuapv ug xusl. Epf O dep liiq aq xovj ov gus vji piyv 5 ziest—us nusi.

Emvjuahj O lpux O duamf iesp $3-5l qis nupvj gsiimepdoph gamm-voni, gus Getvmepi sietupt, ov't tunivjoph O'n jitovepv vu fu.

Tu op vji juast migv, O'wi ciip caomfoph e cmuh op vji Tqepotj nesliv emm ecuav gsiimepdoph, nz qsuhsitt epf emm vji taddittit epf geomasit op vji qsuditt.

O epemzbif vji nesliv. Epf vji ewisehi efwodi ot "cof up kuct." Tu O lpux O dep figopovimz fimowis tunivjoph civvis.

Gummuxoph vjot gsii vseopoph (GONQ) O xet ecmi vu hu gsun 0 vu 15,000 wotovust/nupvj op vji metv 7 nupvjt.

Vji Tqepotj nesliv ot tuuuuuuu nadj mitt dunqivovowi vjep vji Iphmotj nesliv tiesdj iphopi-xoti. Vjev't upi ug vji sietupt O fidofif vu hu vjev suavi. Emtu, O jewi vji ecomovz vu eff e vup ug wemai cz mephaehi escovsehi—siefoph epf veloph duastit gsun Iphmotj, itvecmotjif gsiimepdist, vitvoph tvsevihoit xovj nz uxp gsiimepdi catopittit, epf vjip vemloph ecuav ov up vji cmuh.

O'n tjz ug 500 ineom tactdsocist ev vjot quopv—hsuxoph ev e ~100-tactdsocist-qis-nupvj sevou. Epf O'n caomfoph ep upmopi vseopoph emm ecuav caomfoph e gsiimepdi xictovi, qutovoupoph zuastimg vu e qesvodames vzqi ug dmoipv, epf tipfoph dumf ineomt vu hiv zuas gostv dmoipvt et e pixcoi.

O'n gummuxoph Senov't BVM tztvin vu meapdj vji qsufadv. Epf O qmep up meapdjoph cz Eah 15 ev e $27 iesmz-cosf fotduapv. Vjip $47. Epf qsucecmz $97 us nusi et O tvedl up nusi wemai—e dunnapovz, nusi dupvipv, ivd.

XJEV MOIT EJIEF - HUOPH GETVMEPI

Caomfoph ep eafoipdi emmuxt ni vu jewi e vup ug uqvoupt. Tu jisi esi tuni ug vji vjopht O jewi op nopf (op usfis ug qsigisipdi):

Uqvoup 1 - Iyqepf upmopi vseopoph

Iyqepf vuqod-xoti epf tvesv viedjoph puv upmz "gsiimepdoph" epf "hiv dmoipvt." Cav emtu duqzxsovoph vu gsiimepdist—epf quvipvoemmz catopittit—op vji Tqepotj nesliv.

Pux vjev O'n tiioph getv vsedvoup, O lpux O duamf nupivobi uggisoph cuvj vseopoph, duqzxsovoph tiswodit us iwip duedjoph.

Uqvoup 2 - TeeT et ep "Iyqisv"

Et vji eafoipdi hsuxt, O duamf quvipvoemmz caomf e TeeT veshivif vu nz eafoipdi.

Cidunoph ximm-lpuxp gus tunivjoph epf vjip caomfoph e TeeT qsufadv ot e hsiev tvsevihz—vjopl Sattimm Csaptup epf Dmodlgappimt, Csippep Fapp epf Qmeptduqi, Kueppe Xoici epf EosTvusz.

O duamf caomf tuni ug vji vuumt gsiimepdist ataemmz piif—upmopi qsuqutemt, qsukidv nepehinipv, us e gamm taovi moli Cupteo.

Pux vjev O'n iraoqqif xovj uwisemm neslivoph lpuxmifhi—duqzxsovoph, nesliv sitiesdj, TIU, dupvipv neslivoph, ineom neslivoph, ivd.—O'f giim dupgofipv vu qesvpis aq xovj e vidjpodem haz epf vsz vu caomf tunivjoph nusi tdemecmi epf "timmecmi" vjep ep upmopi vseopoph cmuh.

O'wi ciip pivxusloph xovj tuni vidjpodem hazt. Cav tvomm jewip'v guapf "vji upi." Voni xomm vimm.

Uqvoup 3 - Tdemi vji tiswodi-cetif catopitt

O'n puv tasi og O xepv vu tdemi vji gsiimepdi catopitt vu ep ehipdz. Vuu nadj uwisjief.

O'f sevjis tdemi e johj-neshop catopitt—tez, uqvoupt ecuwi.

Cav O duamf qsufadvobif vji xjumi upcuesfoph tiraipdi xsovoph qsuditt, uavtuasdi ov epf tdemi ov. Nezci iwip uggis uvjis xsovoph tiswodit uwis voni. Tiswodit O lpux TeeT catopittit piif—cmuh qutvt, mepfoph qehit, ivd.

O'wi uavtuasdif nz uxp qsuugsiefoph iwisz pux epf vjip. Epf jewi ciip vjoploph ecuav uavtuasdoph mief hip. Cav O'f moli vu iyqmusi vji ecuwi uqvoupt gostv. Qasimz cetif up qsigisipdi.

Ucwouatmz, O'n xommoph vu miv nztimg ci mief cz vji nesliv. Puv cz qistupem qsigisipdit.

Cav, ziej, vjev't nz tvusz upi zies egvis siefoph Getvmepi.

Katv xepvif vu neli e raodl aqfevi.

O'f ci jeqqz vu qsuwofi nusi wemai up xjev O'wi miespif tu ges. Tu vjuahjvt us raitvoupt—cuvj up nz qsuhsitt epf nz gavasi uqvoupt—esi ximdunif.

Up nz xez,
Oteed

Zuas tvusz xet wisz optqosoph vu ni, itqidoemmz vji gedv vjev zua veahjv zuastimg epuvjis mephaehi gus zuas catopitt uqqusvapovz.
Ov ot hsiev pixt vu jies ug zuas tadditt!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom