The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've accomplished a lot, but failed. What do I do

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When you put effort into something that doesn't feel like it's paid off, it's hard to take the same risk again without totally doubting yourself.

You are only 23. This shit will happen many many many more times in your life. If you can't get over this one simple fact, you are going to have a tough time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
You are only 23. This shit will happen many many many more times in your life. If you can't get over this one simple fact, you are going to have a tough time.

...as an employee or entrepreneur.

Tommy, spend time learning more new skills, business or not. Get more comfortable with learning, whether it's killing tomato plants in your new garden, getting kicked in the face sparring at the local dojo or whatever.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When you put effort into something that doesn't feel like it's paid off, it's hard to take the same risk again without totally doubting yourself.

...as an employee or entrepreneur.

As part of everyday life...

You ask a girl out... she says no
You train a year for a race... you lose
You wait in line for tickets to a show... the show gets sold out one person before you
You do everything right as best as you could possibly do... you still fail due to outside circumstances
You have a deal all set up, last minute that person changes their mind... deal falls through

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Sometimes it feels like people haven't really been through failure when you say it with such ease. It seems like you'd have more emotions toward it. It's easy to post motivational quotes, but there is a rough side to it that can't be remedied with such ease.

I appreciate the post, but hopefully that makes sense. It's VERY tough to just "KEEP GOING!". When you put effort into something that doesn't feel like it's paid off, it's hard to take the same risk again without totally doubting yourself.
Oh, please, now we're descending in soap opera.

First of all, there is nothing F*cking hard about it. "you'd have more emotions toward it" why?
Emotions have nothing to do with it. Are you lacking "motivation"? Can't you get "momentum"?

This is a job. Do you think your peer with a degree in Sociology needs motivation to flip those burgers?
Nope, it is a job. This is the same. You a flipping burgers. Your burgers are risk and uncertainty.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Gaming has a picky audience. Lets say you were playing some minecraft thing and then started doing something totally different like playing destiny. Guys will get p#ssed at you.

Its a gamer thing. You can't manipulate your market like a pet dog, tell it to sit and stay, they won't listen.

You have to look at the market and see what its capable of and what its not BEFORE you get set on "how it must change and they must follow".

You don't see it, but its a d#ck move to tell an audience their tastes must change to suit your attempt to scale.

Lets take music as an example, lets say I'm a hip hop guy, and I have a small loyal following, and then I start pretending to be Eminem to get a bigger audience. Do you think the hip hop guys are going to be happy?

I would recommend doing what you were doing longer, posting bonus content, back to the old stuff and then to think LONGER and harder on how to appeal to two audiences in the right way.

You got slapped, HARD, but you made a BIG mistake. Now its up to you to eat humble pie.
And to try to do it right, by getting back up on the horse.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I mean it's not like I'm all talk. I poured my heart and soul into countless hours of work. So I guess when you're in my shoes it hits harder. It wasn't an effortless attempt. I dunno what to do.

Stop crying. You put one foot in front of the other and start something else with the lessons learned.
Actually reflect where you failed the CENTS:

N (need): ________________
E (entry): ________________
C (control: ________________
S (scale): ________________
T (time): ________________

I'm in the present and feel a little lost.

No you aren't. You're just choosing to feel lost for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
So 30-40k fans watching your videos. Are you selling any product or anything that earns you money?

You are not? Then are you going to implement any product/service that gets you money?

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I thought my niche would expand

That's why it's called a niche.

Give them what they want, your customer pays your rent, not you.

Now, if you're looking to expand into another niche, build a publishing company and start another youtube channel, have two.

What you did here was an MVP. Meaning you tried it, it failed and now you need to come up with something else. Why cry about something that nobody wants?

You can break it into entertainment, but you got to figure out how to scale it, you tried one strategy, it failed, now try another:)

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
A champion wrestler was asked, “How did you become the champion?”

He said, “When I was practicing, I became so exhausted that I wanted to give up.

But then I pictured what my opponent would be doing.

He must be still practicing so I went back into more practice.

And a point came when I wanted to give up again.

I pictured what my opponent would be doing.He must be still practicing so I went back into more practice.

And then a point came when I could not lift myself anymore.

And I pictured that he could not lift himself anymore either.

I pictured him in the shower, guess what I did.

I went back into more practice.

Till now we were at par.

This practice would be my winning edge.”

So, the important thing is to put in the extra effort even when it hurts.

Mark Bucks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 4, 2015
I had a youtube channel that reached 50k subs. It reached it's peak because my humor was unique and I had basically filled the niche.'i tried to expand to other types of humor and games to bring in more viewers and my fans turned on me.... Bad. Like, from 30-40k views a video to 2,000.

Now for a long time I though "it will get bigger, it will grow". But then it hits you. You're filling a small niche, you're not hitting that sweet spot that is = humor that entertains the masses.

No matter what I did, my fans wanted the old stuff. Last night I finally threw in the towel.

Picture this- Colgate at one time tried to sell a microwaveable food. No one bought it because Colgate will always be related with toothpaste.

Before anyone says - dude you should've kept going.

I did, and I can't stress enough that it was the end. I'm all for faith, but I'm just as much for reality. I was type casted as one type if humor that filled a small niche and I couldn't get past it.

What do I do? I've done this for 2 years. Is it my time to finally move past youtube and take a shot at the actual entertainment industry, or do I start over with my lessons learned? I'm 23 and have no idea what to do. When I was 20 and started the channel, I could've never pictured myself here. I feel pathetic. And that I'm getting to old to try again.

Hello Tommy, I guess you are doing it best because you're able to manage getting 30-40K views in your past videos. The only thing you need to find out is why your other videos getting lower views (2,000). It might be your videos are not well optimized to target the right audience. Have you checked and analyzed the analytics of your videos?

Also, if your fans wanted the old stuff , then why not give them more?

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Pd1q4dA_700w_0.jpg

GMEB1R7_700w_0.jpg

1RXGYbM_700wa_0.gif

Uh oh here we go again, another thread full of gifs xD

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You guys laugh, but when you spend 2 years building something, it's hard to just let it go. I don't know why I'm always the butt of the joke, but for once this is a serious thread

I wrote on hubpages for three years. It was a beginning platform. You can only learn so much on one platform, and then you must move on to the next level. It's kind of like being in kindergarten, you don't stay there your whole life. You may have loved the teacher, the lessons, the fun and games, no responsibility, but fortunately, you don't get to the top by staying on the same platform.

I would say you have an emotional attachment to what you've done, and don't want to let go of it. I can say I loved college, learned a lot, loved my professors, and of course when it time to graduate, they talked about the feelings and emotions you have by leaving. There's always times you have to let go of somethings in life to re-invent yourself and move on.

Emotional attachments are tied to materialism, money, relationships, projects, but for healthy growth and development, you must cut your apron strings to fly. And of course, there is probably fear mixed in their and uncertainty. Yes, you must re-invent yourself. :)

Last edited:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I have watched your videos and thought yeah they where funny but at the same time even when you where peaking with viewers you should have been asking yourself what is the next step.
Yeah fair enough 99% of your viewers may have been just gaming nerds wanting a small chuckle but you should have offered something else on the videos about anyone looking for actors or voice overs or anything, looked for sponsorship etc. You may never know who have been watching?

Your only 23 mate you will probably fail another few times more but thats where you learn.. (how to duck or fight back)
Be smart and wishing you luck!

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
Failure is apart of the game. I started when I was 24 and I'm now 26. I understand your panic, I too felt the same but realized I'm not even close to being old.

I keep my projects private because I'm a pretty private person, I come here for inspiration and to hang around guys and gals with the similar mindset I have. I have like 2 friends, outside of my football team, and that's still only about 3 close people plus my girlfriend. I've failed countless times.

Keep with coming up with ideas and taking action. That's what I'm doing. Remember, it only takes 1 success to change your life. Even if that means you had 6,000 failures.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Tommy - I know you don't understand yet but "failure" is part of the entrepreneurial process. You simply haven't gone through a whole rotation of the process (failure is absolutely a stop on the process train). The process is what will make you successful, not an event like "failure". You are simply at the "failure" state of your process. The next phase of your process (if you choose not to give up) is to asses what went wrong and use that knowledge to form a better "next business".

You will repeat this process over and over until you decide to stop entrepreneurial pursuits. It's how it works.

Personal example - I went through another "failure" cycle a few months ago. Probably cost me 100k. But I didn't blink an eye because I know it's just a part of the process. Fast forward a few months. I took that lesson, made some tweaks to my business and I am now knocking on the door of an offer 10X that loss. And if you want me to predict the future - I will have a 1M "failure" that will teach me what I need to know to make a 10M gain.

You have to commit to the whole process.

I hope you stick with it but it's your choice.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So you spent 2 years on a project that violated all of CENTS because it was your passion.

What did you expect?

Get up, wipe your chin, reread TMF (!) and then build a BUSINESS, not a hobby.

The experience will help you.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
So you spent 2 years on a project that violated all of CENTS because it was your passion.

What did you expect?

Get up, wipe your chin, reread TMF (!) and then build a BUSINESS, not a hobby.

The experience will help you.

It didn't violate all of it. The entry barrier is a big one, despite the common beliefs. I did provide people entertainment, and as you guys always say - You can pretty much make a need. A lot of our "Needs" out there are an illusion.

Regardless, thanks for the kind words, and not so kind but true posts in this thread. I'm slowly getting my spark back.

Like I said, I know I come off as an imbecile sometimes (I'm not that way in person, oddly enough), but my intentions are pure and I just speak what's on my mind.

I think another thing that has helped... I've become MUCH less materialistic. MUCH LESS. It allows me to work with more passion (whichever way you view it) and my energy is directed towards the audience and much less the bottom dollar.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Dori a true O.G.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.