The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's playoff time!!!

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
You could probably say that about any team. I look at how they play and how the new ownership has turned the team around. I am not your typical Sox fan and get all pumped up over the NY rivalry. Of course I route for the sox but respect the Yanks for there talent. I just don't get how Cashman still has a job. Especially with that payroll and no playoff this year.
Cashman is the reason we have a future. For all those years after the "dynasty" of the late 90s, Steinbrenner pressured Cashman to spend on all those free agents. Cashman himself would have preferred to keep things a bit more home-grown (like the way it was done when we were winning), but Steinbrenner is the boss.

Recently, Cashman has been given the reins back, and that's why we have guys like Joba, Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Ian Kennedy in our future. Joba was the compensation we received for not resigning Tom Gordon, which many people were upset about at the time. Well, I'm sure as hell not questioning that move anymore... Thank you, Cashman!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I think the Boston-Yankee rivalry is the best in sports. But for all of those following the Dodgers game that's on right now...Wow!! Empty dug outs for both sides. Talk about a rivalry of their own.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I think the Boston-Yankee rivalry is the best in sports. But for all of those following the Dodgers game that's on right now...Wow!! Empty dug outs for both sides. Talk about a rivalry of their own.
I'd have to agree with you. At least in my lifetime, nothing has rivaled it.

I still hate how people dislike Torre as a manager. My Facebook status right now is actually "Ryan loves Joe Torre."

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
Cashman is the reason we have a future. For all those years after the "dynasty" of the late 90s, Steinbrenner pressured Cashman to spend on all those free agents. Cashman himself would have preferred to keep things a bit more home-grown (like the way it was done when we were winning), but Steinbrenner is the boss.

Recently, Cashman has been given the reins back, and that's why we have guys like Joba, Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Ian Kennedy in our future. Joba was the compensation we received for not resigning Tom Gordon, which many people were upset about at the time. Well, I'm sure as hell not questioning that move anymore... Thank you, Cashman!

That's what the new ownership of the Sox are finally doing, and that is why the Sox have won the Series two out of the last 4 years. Sprinkle in a few good vets with your homegrown talent equals recipe for success.

I agree that the rivalry is great. I was just saying I am not the type that will slit my wrists if the Sox lose to the yanks, or sit there and chant Yankees Suck, or talk down there players. If any team/organization is competitive every year then they deserve some respect. They gotta be doing some thing right.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
That's what the new ownership of the Sox are finally doing, and that is why the Sox have won the Series two out of the last 4 years. Sprinkle in a few good vets with your homegrown talent equals recipe for success.

I agree that the rivalry is great. I was just saying I am not the type that will slit my wrists if the Sox lose to the yanks, or sit there and chant Yankees Suck, or talk down there players. If any team/organization is competitive every year then they deserve some respect. They gotta be doing some thing right.
Agreed on both accounts. I hate the Red Sox, but it's because I respect them a lot. They're a great, well-run organization, and I have a lot of respect for most of their players.

The fact that they've been good teams in recent years has been great for baseball. It's not a rivalry without good teams.

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
Agreed on both accounts. I hate the Red Sox, but it's because I respect them a lot. They're a great, well-run organization, and I have a lot of respect for most of their players.

The fact that they've been good teams in recent years has been great for baseball. It's not a rivalry without good teams.

I agree, but now the rivalry really only exists between the fans. Baseball is a business and a guy that plays for the Sox now would not hesitate playing for the Yankees (or vice versa) if the money is right. Back in the 70s they really hated each other and never would have even thought of doing that. That was a true rivalry. Of course I was young and barely remember that, but my dad tells me some stories....

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I agree, but now the rivalry really only exists between the fans. Baseball is a business and a guy that plays for the Sox now would not hesitate playing for the Yankees (or vice versa) if the money is right. Back in the 70s they really hated each other and never would have even thought of doing that. That was a true rivalry. Of course I was young and barely remember that, but my dad tells me some stories....
Yeah, Johnny Damon is a prime example of that. I've heard he's a great guy, but he was one of their leaders while he was there. It's definitely not as heated as it once was, but I think the money is just too much to pass up nowadays, whereas 30 years ago it wasn't nearly as much.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I agree that the times have changed and money dictates everything. But I hear alot from Boston fans that Johnny "sold out" by going to the Yankees. I mean did Babe Ruth sell out when he left Boston? But I guess I'm biased and I look at Boston as the dark side ;)

But speaking of Boston and this thread, Tampa is up by one in the bottom of the 5th with two men on. It looks like Lester is getting a little rattled out there.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I don't know, I could see another game seven. I think Tampa is going to come out of the gate tough but the Phillies could bounce back like Boston did. I think ultimately the Ray are going to win it because they have the drive. I mean afterall, they were the worst team in baseball last year. And now they're in the World Series...it's crazy.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hurray::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::hurray:

The curse of Billy Penn is Finally OVER!!! Thank you Comcast!!!!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
lol, to curses... this coming from a Cubs fan :rofl:

You guys earned it by beating a great Tampa team(never thought I'd ever say that in my lifetime) and best of all is Lidge got the last 3 outs to finish his perfect season!!!

:hl: :tiphat: :hl:

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I can't believe it. What a disappointing World Series for Longoria. And to be the first out in the last inning with a pop up pretty much sums it up.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
After beating Boston, I really expected Tampa to roll right passed Philly, but it was just the opposite.

I think the Rays were so used to being the underdogs that they didn't know what to do when they couldn't just sneak up on everybody else.

Even with the World Series loss, this was a great season for the Rays.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hurray::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::hurray:

The curse of Billy Penn is Finally OVER!!! Thank you Comcast!!!!

lol, thank you comcast.

everyone and their mother is going to the parade tomorrow but I'm taking a pass....

as good as it feels, I keep thinking: "it's about f***ing time!!!" ya babaaaay!!

nice thing about the team is that they are young and farm raised, so to speak... management has been really shrewd with their signing and it apparently paid off.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Philly in 6 games over Tampa Bay. I think Tampa Bay is too young and their luck has finally run out.

So I was a game off, but winning in 5 is better than 6. :smxF:

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
ONE MORE TIME, PHILLY!!!!!!!!

Let's DO THIS!!!!!

This time, while I am back living in the right city!!!!!

Come on Yankees!! BRING IT ON!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
:iagree:

A dynasty in the making. It's phantastic!

Tom

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Where has Yankees338 gone?

I did not visit this forum for a while and did not start reading and posting again until a few weeks ago. Yankees338 used to be a very active poster, but I did not see any posts from him since I returned.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where has Yankees338 gone?

He is a freshman and Univ of Maryland I think ... and if I remember my freshman year away from home, ohhhh boy, I doubt I'd be here either. :smxB:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007