The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Its just not working :( ..

Anything related to matters of the mind

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
Hi,

I have been an wantepreneur and money lover since I was like 12 or 13, I'm 26 now married, 2 childs.

I'm a certified Project Manager, working for HP since almost 3 years now, all my friends think that I have a good job and salary for my age, however this is not what I want, to struggle 50+ hrs a week for a monthly salary that will never make me Millionare. I have read everything from "Think and Grow rich" to Robert 2 dads (as MJ says) and finally TMFL, for me the best one I have read, it gave me another perspective on how to do it, and that I don't need to wait 40+ years in a shitty job to get Millionare,

The thing now is I HATE MY JOB, I start at 8:30 am and finish 11:00 pm 5 days a week, I have not time for my kids, barely spend time with my family for this job that I can't quit, you know I need to pay the bills + 2 childs is not as easy,

I started my own bussiness like 2 years ago, a Wings Bar, at the beginning it was good, and we was making it, but it failed, we can't even pay the bills or the employee at certain point of time, so we sold it, I still paying the debt I got for starting it,

Debts were accumulating at the point my wife must got a job, I'm decided to don't quit and keep trying,
I created a game for mobile devices (now available just for android)
Rolly the Bug:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LeoGamesMx.RollytheBugFree

It has not a lot of time, but I feel that I will never make it at this rate, It have just generated like $10 until now :p

So I'm feeling really frustrated at this time, I have a lot of new ideas but not the time or money to get them done, I hate my job, I just don't want to still like this for 40+ years more, like all the people here that idolize to all those workaholic, for them people who work more than the required time are heroes, BS

I don't want to quit my dream, I still trying but sometimes is really hard, I have a new business coming soon, and few more games, but start feeling out of stamina :( , some times I just want to give up.

I came here to ask all of you for any advice if you are or not in the fast line,
Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
I can't give you advice since I have not "made it" either. But there was a good quote I heard yesterday, that said something along the lines that everyone is their own boss.

You have the CHOICE, to work at a job you don't like. You have the CHOICE not to work on side projects while you are at work, you have the CHOICE to work on the weekends to make your dreams come true.

If you start looking that you are in 100% control of your life, both the good and bad you can change things 1 by 1. That is where I am at right now...

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I bit of advice I got from some long forgotten motivational speaker many years ago was "work harder on yourself than you do on your job." You need your job right now, but it sounds like you don't want to do the same thing the rest of your life. Working the hours you do sounds a bit like something a guy trying to climb the corporate ladder would do. You, on the other hand, are looking for an exit strategy. So, maybe cut back. Knock off at 5 a few days a week. If the boss doesn't like it, tell him to hire you an assistant. Use the extra time to work on your business.

Don't over do it, you don't want to get fired (unless perhaps HP has a generous severance package?). But, don't invest all your time in a job that isn't taking you where you want to go. By the way, I've been there and done that, so I'm not just talking out of the south end of my anatomy. I also laid myself off from a junior executive position with a big company to get the severance and start a business.

Best,
O-2

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why are you working from 8am to 11pm. What type of job is this? What are you required to work?

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
Why are you working from 8am to 11pm. What type of job is this? What are you required to work?

This is one of those 9-5 jobs where you "should" get it done, so no extra hrs are paid, And people look at you as lazy if you just cut at 5, you know what I mean? so is office work where extra hours may be required

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I also laid myself off
Love this.

I agree with the comments above. You should find a way to work less, much less, like a relaxed 9-5, even if it means quitting and taking a slight paycut in another job. I think its nearly impossible to work the hours you describe AND build something on the side that you want to replace your income with. Nothing against 14 hour days, but 14 + 2-3 on your own business + 2 kids + sleep and you will burn out in a few weeks.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
This is one of those 9-5 jobs where you "should" get it done, so no extra hrs are paid, And people look at you as lazy if you just cut at 5, you know what I mean? so is office work where extra hours may be required
So do you want to advance at that job or do you want to be a millionaire?

Sounds like your arent sure yourself..

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Assuming that you don't care about moving up the corporate ladder... You need to begin shifting your focus. You should get your work done, but stop accepting new projects. Don't go to meetings where you sit there and do nothing. Start leaving at 5. Who cares if people look at you as lazy??? Why do you care what they think?

You are a PM, that is what I was over 10 years ago. Yes you babysit, but hold others accountable for screwing up their tasks. Just because they don't do the work, doesn't mean you should do more work. Looking back at my career, I was waaay too nice of a project manager. If I ever did this for work again I'd be a ball buster. I'm betting that those guys and teams that you manage work 9-5 and go home, telling you that they don't have enough time to finish the project.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you step to the plate once and strike out, do you sulk back to the dug out, throw the bat against the wall and quit the team?

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
So do you want to advance at that job or do you want to be a millionaire?

Sounds like your arent sure yourself..
Of course I want to be Millionare, I will start cutting my hours in the office off, what after that?

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
Thank you all for your comments and advice, I will start as you recommend working less at my work and investing more time in my business,

Last edited:

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
If you step to the plate once and strike out, do you sulk back to the dug out, throw the bat against the wall and quit the team?
Thks MJ, Hopefully I will be posting my success story in this same post some time from now,

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Thank you all for your comments and advice, I will start as you recommend working less at my work and investing more time in my business, what else do you recommend in order to don't feel frustrated if something goes wrong?

What color should I paint my house?

We can't answer questions that general, you have to do some decision making yourself.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Turning corners in your game is actually rather annoying. I would remove that aspect altogether and just keep the tilting and jumping. I think it would be fun then. Just my opinion.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Just keep writing down all those "ideas" that you keep constantly having..
Some of them will hold significance but in the mean time do as everyone else is advising start busting balls and if you feel as if its frowned upon to leave at 5.. Well leave at half 5 , 6pm or demand more from the workers.

Stick at it you will get there

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
Turning corners in your game is actually rather annoying. I would remove that aspect altogether and just keep the tilting and jumping. I think it would be fun then. Just my opinion.
That is a very useful feedback :) Thks

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thks MJ, Hopefully I will be posting my success story in this same post some time from now,

I recommend understanding that you only have one life to live.

Who cares if it goes wrong.

Either you'll make it, or you won't, but at least you won't live in regret for never having tried.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I'm not a parent. I know that changes the dynamic significantly. If I had kids ... I seriously doubt I would be doing what I'm doing today. I don't mind making personal sacrifices in pursuit of a dream ... but I'm not sure I could ask the kids to make the sacrifices along with me.

For better or worse ... having kids ... is a one way ticket to the slowlane. The fastlane dream may have to wait.

Still ... 8 to 11 ...? You seriously need to cutback on your hours. If for no other reason than to spend more time with your family.

My advice is to focus less on money and more on your quality of life.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
One more thing ... working to pay off debt ... blows.

Consider filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Congress gives you a "get out of debt free card" once every 8 years ... take advantage of it.

Use the money you save from discharging your debts to provide your family a better quality of life.

Put your family's needs first.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I still trying but sometimes is really hard,

"If it was easy, everybody would be doing it."

It have just generated like $10 until now

Ok, you have 10 customers (if you are selling your app for $0.99)... now aim for 50. The question you have to ask yourself is how to get to that point. Answering that question is "hard" but once you have the answer, you will see the results...

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
You are working way too many hours for something that isn't giving you, it seems, enough of anything good in return. I don't think I could work those sort of hours, unless it was for a cause I was truly passionate about and dedicated to - and even then, it'd be rough.

So, as with others, I suggest you revise your hours. See your kids, at least for dinner & bedtime. Most people I know, this is a big thing that helps mentally and emotionally once kids are involved, at least get to see them for an hour in the evening.

And then when they're in bed, you can spend the remaining 4 hours or whatever you'd normally have been at work, working on your own business project - whether you wish to develop your game further, or pick up something else, you'll need to decide. Remember, don't make your choices based on chasing money, make your plans around providing solutions and responding to needs.

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
For better or worse ... having kids ... is a one way ticket to the slowlane. The fastlane dream may have to wait.
Thank you for your comments, but I don't think that have kids is a ticket to the slow line, the only difference is that a different approach is needed to , there are plenty of self made Millionares with kids that is not an obstacle, for me they are my motors without them I may still beeing a 30k millionare spending in alcohol and party

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Thank you for your comments, but I don't think that have kids is a ticket to the slow line, the only difference is that a different approach is needed to , there are plenty of self made Millionares with kids that is not an obstacle, for me they are my motors without them I may still beeing a 30k millionare spending in alcohol and party

Well ... I've never said it's "impossible" ... but having kids absolutely raises the stakes ... and heightens the risk.

Fastlane millionaires are the exception ... not the rule.

Just because we understand ... and agree with ... everything M.J. has to say ... changes little.

Statistically speaking ... only a very small percentage of us will achieve a similar success.

As M.J. says in his book ... adopting a fastlane mindset ... may bump your odds of becoming a millionaire from 1 in 100,000 (the slowlane) ... to 1 in 17 (the fastlane) ... but that also means the odds of anyone falling short ... is still 16 in 17 ... pretty damn high.

I think when you have kids ... as a practical matter ... you have to take a more conservative path.

Are you prepared to sacrifice "their" quality of life for a 1 in 17 roll of the dice ...?

As I non-parent ...? Sure. I'll take that risk.

There is a reason I don't have kids -- and that's it.

I am not prepared to sacrifice my dreams.

But as a parent ...?

Whole different story.

A career corporate lawyer ... I would be.

Again ... not saying it's impossible.

But as a parent ... it's a whole different ballgame.

Duxten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 14, 2015
Well ... I've never said it's "impossible" ... but having kids absolutely raises the stakes ... and heightens the risk.

That's true, have kids can make it harder, but you don't have to sacrifice your child dreams for yours, before I started working so hard (the 15 hours shift has just like 2 months) I used to spend time with them, take them to bed and then work my a$$ coding until 3 or 4 in the morning, again, it just changes some rules but the principle is the same "If you really want it you will find the way".

They are my "WHYs" the reason I still trying is because one day in the future I will be able to quit my job and spent the whole day with them if I want to, that's my goal, to take them to the school, football practice or whatever, without worrying about my schedules.

So the question is: If I follow a "conservative" approach when that will happen? the answer is NEVER I will be 60 waiting for a holiday to spend time with them

It just require an exchange instead of work hard, a work smart approach is needed, I used to have that balance, my kids doesn't even notice I was working at 1 or 2 am

I'm saying this because I know is possible, I know people who work one or 2 hours at day and spend the rest with their family

Again I appreciate your point of view and the time you spend on explaining, this is the reason to be for this forum.

But I cannot just agree with that, I'm sure I will made it one day and my kids will be there to share it with me,

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
That's true, have kids can make it harder, but you don't have to sacrifice your child dreams for yours, before I started working so hard (the 15 hours shift has just like 2 months) I used to spend time with them, take them to bed and then work my a$$ coding until 3 or 4 in the morning, again, it just changes some rules but the principle is the same "If you really want it you will find the way".

They are my "WHYs" the reason I still trying is because one day in the future I will be able to quit my job and spent the whole day with them if I want to, that's my goal, to take them to the school, football practice or whatever, without worrying about my schedules.

So the question is: If I follow a "conservative" approach when that will happen? the answer is NEVER I will be 60 waiting for a holiday to spend time with them

It just require an exchange instead of work hard, a work smart approach is needed, I used to have that balance, my kids doesn't even notice I was working at 1 or 2 am

I'm saying this because I know is possible, I know people who work one or 2 hours at day and spend the rest with their family

Again I appreciate your point of view and the time you spend on explaining, this is the reason to be for this forum.

But I cannot just agree with that, I'm sure I will made it one day and my kids will be there to share it with me,

Maybe you will ... and I hope you do. That's a noble ambition.

I'm not saying you should give up on your dreams. I'm just saying Vegas odds ... are Vegas odds.

Working hard ... and he power of positive thinking ... does not make it so.

Even if that dream one day comes ... and you hit that ball out of the park ... understand ... it may be 20 years down the line.

The kids may be grown and gone.

Now mind you ... I'm not saying this to shoot you down. I'm chasing that elusive dream along with you.

But I also know time waits for no one.

If you spend your whole life ... living for tomorrow ... without making time for today ... you make wake up one day and find ... your life has passed you by.

I guess what I am really saying is ... you need to make time for today.

Make time for your family. Make time for yourself. Cut back on your hours. And do what you need to do. Make time.

Good luck. :)

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
Anyway you can get another job that gives you more freedom to work on your ideas? That's what I did. I went to a place that isn't exciting at all and got a job that I never would have gone for if my focus were my "career." I don't like the actual work, but I got it because of the flexibility/freedom that it gives me. If your job is not allowing you to spend any time on your ideas, you should really focus on getting another one ASAP.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
My advise, if you haven't already found it, is to check out mr. money mustache. I think it is a great place for everybody to start. Usually the easiest way to make more money is to spend less. I know many will say this isnt fastlane but I can tell you from personal experience that having a low costs of living = more opportunity. I know I would not have been able make some of the moves I have made and taken the risks I have without a rock bottom cost of living.

This has also allowed me to sock away cash much faster then most when times are good and allowed me to fight the good fight when times are lean.

This might help you pay off your debt or create a nice cushion that can give you the freedom to take the risk and go out on your own or take a lower paying job that affords you a better quality of life and more opportunities to moon light.

Most of what is discussed is not rocket science and I am actually very surprised by how difficult people seem to find it. Some of his reader case studies I personally find hilarious and do a great job of highlighting the financial ineptitude of the average joe.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
we can't even pay the bills or the employee at certain point of time!
NEVER EVER EVER EVEEEEEEEEER with a capital EVER don't pay your employees on time. No excuses. Pay out of your own pocket if you have to. I pray the mighty hammer of Thor crush those who don't pay employees. So don't be that guy. Your employees are keeping your business afloat and they rely on that paycheck to pay their bills and feed their family. So make sure you always pay them.

Debts were accumulating at the point my wife must got a job
Why is your debt accumulating? It should be decreasing, as you get closer to paying it off. This is one of those times where you should be cutting back your expenses, or you're gonna find yourself in a situation where you, your wife, and all your kids are working to pay the bank.

I created a game for mobile devices (now available just for android)
Rolly the Bug:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LeoGamesMx.RollytheBugFree

It has not a lot of time, but I feel that I will never make it at this rate, It have just generated like $10 until now :p
Good. Now make it sell. If it can be improved, make it better. If it's good now, market the hell out of it, and start collecting those dollars.

Overall, you'll end up doing what's most important to you. I'd bet if you hate your job as much as you do, you'll be motivated to make a change, and focus on your business. If you have doubts, it's probably fear that's holding you back--understand that. You can make a choice to give into the fear, or focus on what needs to be done, and do that.

The way I see it, your life story is what you make it. There's a universe of infinite possibilities, and the story you choose to make your own would be your reality.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
And people look at you as lazy if you just cut at 5, you know what I mean?
I know what you mean, but I don't agree at all. Everyone, and I mean every single one of my colleagues at work think like this.

But then again they want to climb the ladder (or at least what I believe they want) - Deep inside they probably don't want to.

I on the other hand leave at 5-5.30. I'm a junior. The first few weeks people would look at me with almost anger and envy in their eyes. A few weeks down the road, nobody cares. I get all my work done in the time I'm supposed to. I've never missed a deadline and I can leave when work time is up. I go home, and start my other job, where I'm the boss. Works like a charm.

The point is: YOU are the only one responsible for your situation. "people look at you as lazy", HAH! Who told you this? Did anyone say that you are lazy? Or is it just in your head? I bet it's the latter.

but you don't have to sacrifice your child dreams for yours
Please, do not talk about yourself in third person. Face those problems: "I will not sacrifice the dreams of my kids nor will I sacrifice my own, but I will create the dream for my kids and myself in 5 years time, today I will do _____ and tomorrow I will do____"

You are the one responsible and the one accountable, remember?

You need to begin shifting your focus.

THIS!
I will start cutting my hours in the office off, what after that?

No, no and no! "after that?" - Comon dude! Get your ways figured out, stop complaining that it is hard. It SHOULD be hard, in fact it's the best way it can be if it is really hard - less saturation --> more fastlane.

Start something like a niche site or something that is very simple (and contrary to what I just said its very easy) but it will teach you a lot about IM, ads, content, products, MVP and what not. Or start importing/exporting (read the threads here) and you will get a feel for what is right for you. THEN you start asking "after that?"

Good Luck!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
As M.J. says in his book ... adopting a fastlane mindset ... may bump your odds of becoming a millionaire from 1 in 100,000 (the slowlane) ... to 1 in 17 (the fastlane) ... but that also means the odds of anyone falling short ... is still 16 in 17 ... pretty damn high.

He also says "if you don't step up to bat, you definitely won't hit a home run". Duxten already has kids, so there's no point in focusing on what he can't change. I like that you mentioned options for getting out of debt and focusing on the now. Those are both important. But it only takes 1 home run to win. Sure, most people fail. Then again, most people never try. If he builds an app and ends up a millionaire next week, then it will have been worth trying.

I don't have kids, but will soon enough, and I've sat down for a little one on one with my wife. I looked her in the eyes and told her that we can have a baby, BUT, I will NEVER stop clawing tooth and nail at my dreams. This means sacrifice on both our parts, and had she not been on board I probably would have said, no baby. But she supports this mentality 100% because she knows how it will change our lives and the lives of our children when we make it, and she's seen what I've done up to this point. Duxten will need the support of his family. He's going to have to prove himself. But if he doesn't try, then it will never happen.

When paychecks are replaced by reality checks, then he'll find out for sure if he has what it takes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.