The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Its just not working :( ..

Anything related to matters of the mind

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Btw the comment claiming that kids are an automatic ticket to the slowlane is bogus. I can agree that you become a little more risk averse, but in that case you'd also have to claim marriage is a ticket to the slow lane. I started my business while my son was 3 months old. I'm doing just fine. The only obstacle is you. Not your job, not your wife, and certainly not your kids.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Btw the comment claiming that kids are an automatic ticket to the slowlane is bogus. I can agree that you become a little more risk averse, but in that case you'd also have to claim marriage is a ticket to the slow lane. I started my business while my son was 3 months old. I'm doing just fine. The only obstacle is you. Not your job, not your wife, and certainly not your kids.

If anything kids are a motivating factor for many--better bust your a$$ now so you can spend time with them and travel later.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut

I never said it was an "automatic" ticket ... but kids ARE a (significant) financial liability.

We've all seen the stats on how much it costs to raise a kid ... and the cost of raising "kids" is not something you can disregard.

They also consume a lot of time.

There is no serious question ... that it is far easier to pursue your Fastlane ambitions ... with an empty nest.

Marriage ... just depends on your spouse.

Does he or she support you ambitions ...? Sabotage them ...?

It is a lot easier to pursue the Fastlane (for example) if you have a spouse (in the Slowlane) paying the month-to-month bills.

A spouse can go either way.

But kids ...? No way.

Again ... I am not saying a parent "cannot" pursue their fastlane ambitions.

But it is a hell of a lot harder ... and your kids may well suffer the consequences if you fail.

And I think you have to take that into consideration.

An ambitious young single guy can live in a studio apartment and sustain on noodle soup.

Families cannot.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I never said it was an "automatic" ticket ... but kids ARE a (significant) financial liability.

We've all seen the stats on how much it costs to raise a kid ... and the cost of raising "kids" is not something you can disregard.

They also consume a lot of time.

There is no serious question ... that it is far easier to pursue your Fastlane ambitions ... with an empty nest.

Marriage ... just depends on your spouse.

Does he or she support you ambitions ...? Sabotage them ...?

It is a lot easier to pursue the Fastlane (for example) if you have a spouse (in the Slowlane) paying the month-to-month bills.

A spouse can go either way.

But kids ...? No way.

Again ... I am not saying a parent "cannot" pursue their fastlane ambitions.

But it is a hell of a lot harder ... and your kids may well suffer the consequences if you fail.

And I think you have to take that into consideration.

An ambitious young single guy can live in a studio apartment and sustain on noodle soup.

Families cannot.

The quotes on what it costs to raise a kid are way off. Not everyone lives the crazy lifestyle that those studies always use for their statistics. For example they count housing as a part of your child's cost, but you already have to have somewhere to live so that makes no sense at all. Next the studies will show a huge increase in your grocery bill, but it doesn't really cost much more to add a third person in when you're already cooking your own food. Those studies always annoy me, because they're based off of the "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle. I live a very simple lifestyle. There are choices to be made when you have a kid. Do you want to spend thousands of dollars buying diapers for your child, or are you willing to use cloth diapers? Most everything in life comes down to a choice. It's obviously easier to run a business if you're single with no kids, but the media loves to make everyone think that kids are harder and more expensive than they are.

I wouldn't say kids consume a lot of time, but rather it's quite enjoyable to watch them grow. I love spending time with my little guy, but I still have plenty of time to work on my business.

Anyways I think we're both in agreement that it's easier to run a business when you're single, but we definitely disagree on how much kids affect your ability.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.