The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's Friday, Friday . . .

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
I just wanted to let people know you dont need talent to be a signed artist. At least these days.

But their are artists that do have talent. Im not saying all of them dont

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
And the music industry accepts fake g's as well. take for example Rick Ross.
Rick Ross went from being a correctional officer to now a rapper who is supposedly in a drug cartel.
The radio is the only thing that keeps talentless artists on the air.

The reason Rick Ross is signed is because he is good at what he does. Good at playing a part, plus he makes good mainstream friendly music.

You're right, not much talent is needed anymore, but i deal with a lot of hip hop artists that rap extremely well, but they are not marketable in any aspect, to make them a major artist. Rick Ross is.

Even Bangs went viral. People love to see others make fools of themselves.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
You're right, not much talent is needed anymore, but i deal with a lot of hip hop artists that rap extremely well, but they are not marketable in any aspect, to make them a major artist. Rick Ross is.

Well I dont know if I should say this but I remember Justin Bieber was not marketable(even though he doesnt rap). When his stupid movie came out, on the previews I think his mother said "no one wanted him". So that probably means he was not marketable but look what happened to him when he got signed.

And then we have 10 year old willow smith who just pooped out of nowhere already with a music video "whip my hair". Probably the only reason she is signed is because of her father.

I dont know if you are an independant label but I used to make beats but I didnt call myself a 'music producer" made a couple of money here and their. The market is oversaturated.

But I do have a friend who produced some music for this guy named Lil B and the girl that says "like a G6". I remember when he told me he got a job offer for Interscope records for 50,000 grand. He made a killing everyday.
But he lived in Sparks, Nevada and had to Move to Cali.
He rejected the offer. Now we dont keep in touch

I dont do this anymore though
This was a long time ago. I got tired of it.

If we saw lady Gaga right now who was looking to get signed. Would someone sign her with the way that she dresses? Probably not right?

Anyways Im not trying to start no beef cuz I hate that. But I dont know whats up with the industry right now.

I believe Omarion was stripped of his music. he made this song called "speeding" and I couldnt beleive this was not on the radio. Instead of hearing new boyz or other people.

The radio just plays the artists that wants them to make millions.Should soulja boy still be getting radio play even though he may not be as hot as we was before?

The radio decides which artists will make it mainstream, its all fixed in my opinion, its all in who has the right connections. My friend and I had a talk about this.

Stu_Hefner. If you are an independent label, then I hope you make yourself known and show these overrated rappers that your rappers are just as good and deserve credit.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Nuh, i don't do label stuff, although I've had people always convince me to do it. A lot of my friends are musicians and do local shows, and the whole indie music label thing, produce beats ect. I just enjoy hiphop and emcee in my spare time. Happen to be connected with a lot of upcoming and great rappers through twitter and friends. A good friend of mine got a Sony contract here in Australia too.

I wouldn't say Justin Bieber wasnt marketable, just young and overlooked.

He has talent, style, good looks. There was star quality there, just know one would take on a kid that young until that guy saw potential for it.

It was an interesting movie.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think the whole point of the music industry is-- it's going through a radical transformation (and has been, ever since the 1970s, off and on).

But the last 10 years have been a HUGE shift--- more indie artists that are getting a following, more indie labels that can make it work-- a sea change in how people listen to music (ipods and downloads vs the radio).

Just lots and lots of changes. Fun to watch.

Wouldn't want to be in the middle of it, tho. Too unpredictable.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
The following isn't a rant (I know it's hard to tell over the internet hah)

I quite frankly completely lost interest in this after the first time I heard it.

Not a fan of viral videos or the internet culture in general.

A naive and talentless (singing-wise) girl creates a music video. She ends up featured all over the news (for no other reason other than the fact that she's talentless and naive, and people enjoy criticizing others, especially when it's anonymous and over the internet).

The media should focus on people who achieve great things, who help to empower others, or who overcome great obstacles. (which they do on rare occasion)

I could not be bothered hearing about/from people who are famous because a) they made complete fools of themselves over some form of media or b) famous for being a whore (Paris Hilton)/bigot (too many to name)/or chauvinist (charlie sheen).

I have no idea why the general public still has any interest in her (or why they had any to begin with). Maybe someone here is able to explain this to me? (serious question)

Simple:

The general public is not interested in people who achieve great things, or who empower others.

The general public is interested in a steady stream of mindless entertainment.

Don't knock the general public-- get to know them.

Figure out what they like. What moves them.

If your PLAN is successful and you develop businesses, you just might have severeal thousand of these kinda people working for you one day.

-Russ H.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Happen to be connected with a lot of upcoming and great rappers through twitter and friends.

Thats great man. Another way to get your name out is by spitting a verse on one of your friends music or something. Theres talented rappers all over but they cannot get signed because they are not "marketable" as you said. And I totally agree with you.

zipan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 14, 2011
Its AMAZING (also how many replies this threat has already) and I don't quite understand the negative fuzz about it!
WHY??
Only PEACE can save us, brothers!! :p

It seems that every teen with big success have a lot of haters, like Justin Bieber. All the haters think that their success is an event, so that they don't earn respect, but like we already know from MJ DeMarco, it is a process!!
So give them their respect they deserve!!

But we must think like successful people: What can we learn from this??
We can divide this into two categories; style (the way of communicating) and content.
We can't learn much about the content because everybody love already fridays!! :p
So style, we can adapt her style in the area of marketing.
This video has three elements that jump out. It's positivity, emotional and familiarity.
It brings a positive message, it plays with your emotions and everybody can place herself in the feeling that it's almost friday.
So that are three elements that an ad must have. There are probably much more, it's only a quick review.

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
So many haters in this thread. Yes, Life was better with 2pac and biggie, but come on...

Create your own radio station, and spit out all those good artists that you personally prefer.

Bitching and moaning, seldom gets you anywhere.

D

DeletedUser394

Russ: My target market, thankfully, is not the general public. My potential clients are sophisticated investors and institutions.

And to the other two people above, I'm not 'hating on' her. I'm 'hating on' the stupidity of the general public and how when I try to find legitimate news on any form of media, crap like this comes up first.

I don't care what Paris Hilton, Rebecca Black, or anyone else is doing, and it's frustrating how these topics have so much weight within the media. Why? Because as you said, this is what the general public values.

As for Justin Bieber. He has legitimate talent. So I don't see why I'd have a problem with his music. But I do not care whether Usher buys him a ferrari or who he's dating, when I'm trying to locate real news.

And no, I have no interest in starting my own media conglomerate... hmm, on second thought.. haha ;)

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Russ: My target market, thankfully, is not the general public. My potential clients are sophisticated investors and institutions.

And to the other two people above, I'm not 'hating on' her. I'm 'hating on' the stupidity of the general public and how when I try to find legitimate news on any form of media, crap like this comes up first.

I don't care what Paris Hilton, Rebecca Black, or anyone else is doing, and it's frustrating how these topics have so much weight within the media. Why? Because as you said, this is what the general public values.

You come across as though you think of yourself as better than people who like things you don't. You're different than the people who like this type of stuff, but not better. While you're not better at the same time you're no worse than them either. Simply different.

D

DeletedUser394

Living your own life > Living through the trials and tribulations of others who have nothing to do with your life.

Anywho, I simply stated my opinion. I have no desire to argue.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
No doubt, completely agree with your thinking on that.

Had no intent to argue either, I just really had to 'get that out'. Sometimes it annoys me seeing posts that seem to imply people here are some how 'better', and you happened to be on the last straw of it. :p

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You come across as though you think of yourself as better than people who like things you don't. You're different than the people who like this type of stuff, but not better. While you're not better at the same time you're no worse than them either. Simply different.

Icy (and others who have labeled Ryan as a "hater" in this thread):

You need to read lots of Ryan's posts to understand where he's coming from. His writing style is very taut, and terse. He is respectful, but asks questions that puzzle him.

IMO, Ryan's a helluva lot more insightful and introspective than I was at 18 (or even 28). He's just trying to figure things out.

-Russ H.

PS Note to Ryan: As much as you may not think people are answering your q's, they are attempting to do so. Telling them they have NOT answered your question does not buy you goodwill--- quite the opposite.

My advice: Learn how to accept well-meaning feedback with grace and humor--- even if it does not answer your question to your satisfaction. Learn how to ask further, defining or clarifying, without insulting or dismissing your audience. Be proactive-- positive. And you will get better (ie, higher quality) feedback.

Use this approach and you will learn how to better ask questions (to get the answers you seek), and you will build bridges and networks-- not destroy them.

The preceding advice was given w/love, bro-- please take it as such. :tiphat:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I would be interested to see the ratio in number of views for youtube throughout the week. I know the results would be obvious as to which day is the highest but it would be interesting to see the volume it is doing on the weekend vs getting bounced around during the week.

D

DeletedUser394

Russ: I appreciate that.

Yes, I agree completely, I have a habit of being very direct. (To me it's all about efficiency, and I'm not much of a small talker). It is frustrating however when the same people answer me in the same manner (indirectly). I should just let it slide. (Obviously, since I just admitted that I realize that these particular individuals do that.)

Reminds me of Yoda. 'To reach our goal, a straight path we will not follow.'

This problem only arises over the internet, probably because of it's anonymous nature, and the fact that it's impossible to judge where the other person is coming from.

No excuses on my part. Your advice makes perfect sense.

(and for everyone else, I'm not saying that what anyone likes or doesn't like determines if they are better than others.) Sorry if my posts come across that way.

D

DeletedUser394

No doubt, completely agree with your thinking on that.

Had no intent to argue either, I just really had to 'get that out'. Sometimes it annoys me seeing posts that seem to imply people here are some how 'better', and you happened to be on the last straw of it. :p

Funny you say that, because I've been feeling the same way.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Well I guess the point here from my perspective is that people (youtubers) are upset or mad or whatever, for a girl who made a music video (who in their minds she has no talent) and manages to get known for it and make some money off of it.

This problem only arises over the internet, probably because of it's anonymous nature, and the fact that it's impossible to judge where the other person is coming from.

I never ever do comments on youtube, because if you express your opinion about something you may get bashed for it by everyone. Then these people will talk about how they will f ' each other up when they have no clue that the person they are having a heat war in might be 6'5 MMA guy and the other person on the other side of the comment wars may be a 15 year old. People can talk loads of trash because it is anonymous like Ryan said. To me your just wasting your time if you participate on a comment wars on youtube because you get nothing from it.

Except for here on this forum, we each somehow get a view of how some people are but what we all have in common is that we want to live the fastlane dream

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Icy (and others who have labeled Ryan as a "hater" in this thread):

You need to read lots of Ryan's posts to understand where he's coming from. His writing style is very taut, and terse. He is respectful, but asks questions that puzzle him.

No doubt. I had a slight feeling it may simply be me interpreting it differently than how he meant it.

I figured there'd be 1 of 2 responses though

1. I interpreted wrong, and all is well. (which is the case)
or
2. I interpreted it right, and simply leave it at that or take it to PM if something more needed to be said in response. No intention of engaging past that in the public view.

Regardless it was something that certainly felt like it needed to be said (although in this case it was wrong) simply because I feel there are some people here who respond like that. Although I could be wrong with those too. :)

Wow, I need to get better at writing way to many "I"s. haha

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Rebecca Black in Katy Perry's latest video "Last Friday Night"

Darren Criss, Kevin McHale, Hanson, Kenny G, Debbie Gibson and Corey Feldman also make appearances.

As an FYI Rebecca's Friday video is at 166M views, which is insane.

Best regards.

[video=youtube;KlyXNRrsk4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlyXNRrsk4A[/video]

Anybid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 13, 2009
Switzerland

lefou

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 27, 2011
Can she be called a success?

Earlier ago on this forum there was someone who made a post about a music video, I think it was Kung fu Steve. Im not stealing his thread
[video=youtube;CD2LRROpph0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/video]
YouTube - ‪Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)‬‏ wimdu

[video=youtube;aATA60Vq6xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aATA60Vq6xo&feature=fvsr[/video]

Watching her interview, you can realize how cold people in this world are due to someone successs of being a viral hit. I do feel bad for her, I mean she is only 13 years old and making money. But if you read some of the comments about her song, it makes me sorta angry at how cold some people are. She is being cyber bullied and well, its not right. Dont you see commercials on Tv that talks about stop bullying?

Rebecca Black beats Justin Bieber on iTunes

You know even though the song is not great or good. It has peoples attention. Im a guy and Im 18 and I think this young girl is strong because while people are talking trash and making comments that sound threatening. She is not letting the negativity get to her. She is making some money.

But this makes you wonder how crazy ideas can make people money. Anything is possible. So props for this girl.

:thumbsup:

While her song is painfully irritating, that isn't really her fault. She can't be expected to make a judgment on good taste at her age. The people who are managing her need to take responsibility for this dreadful song. She can just earn her money and enjoy the limelight while it lasts!:)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Glee performs Friday (Rebecca Black Cover) in prom episode in season 2!

[video=youtube;Ey-VNes5YQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-VNes5YQs[/video]

dec360

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 16, 2011
Wisconsin
Really? How ironic...

Rebecca Black's 'Friday' pulled from YouTube
June 17, 2011, 9:30 AM EST
WENN
Internet sensation Rebecca Black has been forced to remove her hit video, "Friday," from YouTube as part of a dispute over image rights.

The 13-year-old singer shot to fame when the promo for her song scored millions of hits on the video-sharing website, but she is now locked in a legal battle with the recording company bosses who helped her put the film together.

Black, whose mother reportedly paid Los Angeles-based Ark Music to make the video, has now removed the popular footage from YouTube because of the dispute with Ark executives, according to TMZ.com.

The legal wrangling is reportedly down to a disagreement over who owns the legal rights to the video.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Awesome new version! ;)

[video=youtube;1GaKaGwch0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GaKaGwch0U&feature=share&list=PL801E403FE41FCAB1[/video]

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Who the hell has time to make something like that? LOL

Thanks for the laugh. Sent this to my daughter who will probably love it. As big of a sensation as this song was originally, there were no teens who ever would claim to have liked it.

Now you have the damn song stuck in my head.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Speaking of parody videos, this is one I stumbled on not too long ago:

[video=youtube;IwPHy17Iu6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPHy17Iu6E[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.