The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's Friday, Friday . . .

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Can she be called a success?

Earlier ago on this forum there was someone who made a post about a music video, I think it was Kung fu Steve. Im not stealing his thread
[video=youtube;CD2LRROpph0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/video]

[video=youtube;aATA60Vq6xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aATA60Vq6xo&feature=fvsr[/video]

Watching her interview, you can realize how cold people in this world are due to someone successs of being a viral hit. I do feel bad for her, I mean she is only 13 years old and making money. But if you read some of the comments about her song, it makes me sorta angry at how cold some people are. She is being cyber bullied and well, its not right. Dont you see commercials on Tv that talks about stop bullying?

Rebecca Black beats Justin Bieber on iTunes

You know even though the song is not great or good. It has peoples attention. Im a guy and Im 18 and I think this young girl is strong because while people are talking trash and making comments that sound threatening. She is not letting the negativity get to her. She is making some money.

But this makes you wonder how crazy ideas can make people money. Anything is possible. So props for this girl.

:thumbsup:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Can she be called a success?

'Success' is such a subjective word.

If her goal was to make music people like - is she a success? In terms of the majority I don't think she is a 'success'. What if she wanted something only 1 person liked? Then yes she is.

If her goal was to make money from this - is she a success? Surely she's made some money but you have to think of all the levels taking out money before anything is even "near" her. Itunes\Youtube -> Ark Music Factory, and what not get to it before she sees anything.

If her goal was attention - then she definitely is a success.

tl;dr It's way to hard to base whether she is a success based of any of our ideas of "success". She may not meet our ideas of it but at the same time covered hers ten-fold.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
'Success' is such a subjective word.

If her goal was to make music people like - is she a success? In terms of the majority I don't think she is a 'success'. .

Icy, it could be argued that NO ONE is a success if they must have a majority of people "like" what they do.

Cecelia Bartoli is one of the world's most beloved mezzo sopranos-- yet I'd wager that more people heard-- and liked-- Rebecca Black's "Friday" than those who bought Cecelia's last music release.

The music biz is a fickle thing-- and the key to success is, you just need to get *enough* people to like what you do-- not all, not even the majority.

I think 58,000,000 views and 121,000 likes qualifies Rebecca as someone who put out something that people liked.

And at over 1,000,000 dislikes, this puts her in some strange company: Folks like Howard Stern, and the creators of South Park (you remember how unpopular both of them became) :smxB:

I'm not suggesting RB has the chops-- or talent-- to become another Howard Stern or South Park (ie, someone who gets their audience both through haters and likers).

But I do think it all counts.

-Russ H.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Simon Cowell gushed about the widely criticized song and called the buzz surrounding it "brilliant."

"Love it!" he said, surprisingly positive words for a critic so notoriously stingy with his praise. "I've never seen anything cause so much controversy. I think it's genius. The fact that everyone's getting upset about it is hysterical."

He likened "Friday" to the hugely popular '90s hit "Saturday Night" by Whigfield. "It's what we call a 'hair-dryer song,' a song girls sing into their hair dryers as they're getting ready to go out," Cowell explained. "But the fact that it's making people so angry is brilliant."

"I want to meet her," he says. "Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that."

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
Astonishing how the music bizz has changed.
Good for her.
And 58,000,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Funny part of the video: When they're in the convertible sitting on the trunk... I'm like "sit down, buckle up!"

Wisest part of the video: "Saturday comes after Friday..." <-- 4.0 GPA for sure

Again, good for her!

ChrisRempel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Mar 1, 2011
Victoria BC
I've never seen anything cause so much controversy.

And that, right there, is a very effective marketing angle on the web, BTW.

I once built a very... "interesting" service for lawyers.

I barely told one editor and in a week's time it was featured in almost every State Bar newsletter, Lawyers Weekly, even the ABA mentioned it.

Ridiculous. I was 22 at the time, making waves in the entire legal world.

(These days I would've done it differently, for sure... but I'm still strangely proud of that...)

Controversy works awesome. Just use it carefully.

-Chris

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
This is just a proof that there IS NO bad publicity...commedian first posted her video to make fun of it and then it went viral. I saw it too and turned off because she doesn't seem to have talent. That song isn't good BUT still, she is famous now and has 15 minutes of it. If she uses them to leverage that putting out great stuff she can become big, if she doesn't she will be forgotten quite soon...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Simon Cowell gushed about the widely criticized song and called the buzz surrounding it "brilliant."

"Love it!" he said, surprisingly positive words for a critic so notoriously stingy with his praise. "I've never seen anything cause so much controversy. I think it's genius. The fact that everyone's getting upset about it is hysterical."

He likened "Friday" to the hugely popular '90s hit "Saturday Night" by Whigfield. "It's what we call a 'hair-dryer song,' a song girls sing into their hair dryers as they're getting ready to go out," Cowell explained. "But the fact that it's making people so angry is brilliant."

"I want to meet her," he says. "Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that."

Simon Cowell continues and provides advice to Rebecca Black, “Very simple: Don’t listen to anyone over the age of 18. I’m being deadly serious. Whatever she’s done has worked. Whether you like her or not, she’s the most talked-about artist in America right now. Nobody over the age of 18 should understand her or like her. So she should just do it her way.”

"There's no such thing as bad publicity." - Donald Trump.

Never hate. Embrace.

Best regards.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I turned off because she doesn't seem to have talent. That song isn't good BUT still, she is famous now and has 15 minutes of it.

Actually, you may not like the song, but a whole lot of people do.

Again, that's the great thing about the music biz: You don't need to have everyone like your stuff.

Just enough for it to cover expenses, and a bit more.

A LOT more, and you've got a hit on your hands.

The video cost her parents $2000 to make.

If she makes anything like the NY Times is suggesting ($20-40K), I'd call that a pretty good ROI.

Of course, I'd bet that the Ark Music Factory is the one making most of the $$$ on this.

We'll find out, eventually. :banana:

-Russ H.

PS I'm guessing it will pass 60,000,000 views in the next 24 hours. And it's still in the top 50 of itunes (#23).

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Honestly I expect her to go on and become "genuinely" famous. (long term, not a fad.).. As long as she doesn't get discouraged and quit forevar.

I don't know if she has any talent right now, since the autotune makes her singing really flat and boring to me. But it doesn't matter if she does. Singing is just a skill.

As is songwriting. And honestly, the lyrics aren't even bad compared to most popular music. It seems to me half of why people don't like this song, is because it's not about sex, love, or sorrow...

Although on that note, if the song was about any of those things, people would be acting like she's too young to understand any of them. There's no winning at that age :p But I digress.

She currently has a touch of fame, and is likely to start submerging herself in an environment that will grow it, while cultivating her skills. This should lead to a lot more opportunity to collaborate with other artists, form bands, things like that.

To put it into business terms, she has the unique opportunity to network with other like-minded people for the sake of mutual benefit.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Actually, you may not like the song, but a whole lot of people do.

Again, that's the great thing about the music biz: You don't need to have everyone like your stuff.

Just enough for it to cover expenses, and a bit more.

A LOT more, and you've got a hit on your hands.

The video cost her parents $2000 to make.

If she makes anything like the NY Times is suggesting ($20-40K), I'd call that a pretty good ROI.

Of course, I'd bet that the Ark Music Factory is the one making most of the $$$ on this.

We'll find out, eventually. :banana:

-Russ H.

PS I'm guessing it will pass 60,000,000 views in the next 24 hours. And it's still in the top 50 of itunes (#23).

I agree absolutely. I just mentioned that it became famous because most people went there to see what the joke was... and in between there are some 14 year old kids that resonate with this song and feel like its made just for them. Therefore this is a hit and the girl will probably become a start after 5 years when she grows up and works on her craft.

I wish her luck, she is a brave girl! She can use this 15 minutes of fame as leverage for the future. And I think she already has some labels coming after her or some help coming from sides..

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I was wrong. It's past 62,000,000 in less than 24 hours.

And it's #28 on itunes.

It's been fun to watch this all happen.

-Russ H

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I was wrong. It's past 62,000,000 in less than 24 hours.

And it's #28 on itunes.

It's been fun to watch this all happen.

-Russ H

I was right.. she just signed with an indie label.. lol

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Well I guess this means that anyone can get signed to a record label.

Even people here on this forum if they try:bartmoon:

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Well I guess this means that anyone can get signed to a record label.

Even people here on this forum if they try:bartmoon:

Well if you work with what you have and do something on your own and you get results then why not.. I much rather signed an artist that already has some following and shows initiative by working on his own. Then I'm sure that money I invest wont be wasted..

Also, she is signed to independent label meaning they will probably give her small budget and time to develop. And release an album in half a year for kids...eventually she might host some Kids awards show or something even..

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Just look at all the terrible songs in the past that were big hits, they sold a ton of them, especially in the 90's. A few come to mind but does anyone remember the Barbie dance song or Who Let the Dogs Out? I mean WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hey, todays Monday.
Then tuesday.

I wonder how I would be like if I was in the 60's and saw the Rolling Stones or Beatles live.

I remember when my music teacher shows us

The cultural odyssey that is Rain begins on February 7, 1964, when the Beatles’ plane landed at JFK Airport in New York City. At the time, the Beatles’ songs filled the top five spots in the pop charts—something that has never been repeated. And two nights later, as 73 million people watched, the Beatles performed live on the Ed Sullivan Show—one of the most popular television shows of its time. For that brief moment in time, the streets emptied and crime stopped.

Will I ever see a band in my lifetime like the beatles?:eusa_naughty:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
For that brief moment in time, the streets emptied and crime stopped.[/U]

Will I ever see a band in my lifetime like the beatles?:eusa_naughty:

Maybe yes, maybe no.

There was a show in the 90s called "In Living Color"-- same thing happened when the show first came on: Crime in NY City stopped, for that half hour.

Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I doubt Rebecca Black has stopped crime anywhere.

BTW, what GLEE is currently doing to the pop charts has never been done since the Beatles:

'Glee' Beats The Beatles Singles Record on Billboard Hot 100

-Russ H.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Will I ever see a band in my lifetime like the beatles?

I have a hard time believing it'll happen again. The internet makes finding the "perfect" music for you so easy that having that size\dedication of fandom just seems to improbable. I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems there are way too many genres, and there subsets to gain a ridiculously huge fan base like that...

BTW, what GLEE is currently doing to the pop charts has never been done since the Beatles:

'Glee' Beats The Beatles Singles Record on Billboard Hot 100

-Russ H.

It amazes me how well Glee is doing. It's not my cup of tea, but it [obviously] is for a large majority of people. Tying the an outside product like the music with the show was a great move. I wish there was a way to tell how many buy out of being 'addicted' to the show vs. loving the music itself.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
(mod note: Bozigian, I changed the thread title to have it be easier to find-- if you want me to change it back, just say the word-- I'm not in the habit of doing unwanted edits-- Russ H.)

Anyone singing this song today? :smxB:

Now past 100,000,000 views.

STILL in the top 50 of itunes (barely): #48

Over 2,000,000 dislikes (and 275,000 likes, still 7.5:1 ratio).

And in today's news: GLEE will be covering it, in an upcoming episode:

‘Glee’ Will Go Viral With Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’ Cover - PopCrush
(ya just *knew* that was gonna happen, right?) :banana:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
If the producers/song writers of Friday have their copyrights sewed up tight, the Glee cover will mean a BIG payday for them.

Not so much for Rebecca Black-- maybe they'll give her a cameo in the epi (sure would be a nice gesture).

-Russ H.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hey, today is Friday and tomorrow is...... Saturday!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
and Sunday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . comes afterwo-rds . . . . . . . .

(our 4 year old loves this song-- it's teaching her the days of the week!)

Ooooh-- now THERE is a great idea:

ELMO sings "Friday"!

I would buy that.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks for the link maximus.

OK, so she's been interviewed on Good Morning America, Simon Cowell wants to meet her, and she got to sing her song on Leno-- after sitting in the chair for an interview.

For a 13 year old kid, she's pretty remarkable. How many 13 year olds do you know that could sit across from Leno (or a GMA interviewer) and not just blow it, big time?

I'm not saying she's going on to do better things-- but I admire her spirit and her character.

-Russ H.

D

DeletedUser394

The following isn't a rant (I know it's hard to tell over the internet hah)

I quite frankly completely lost interest in this after the first time I heard it.

Not a fan of viral videos or the internet culture in general.

A naive and talentless (singing-wise) girl creates a music video. She ends up featured all over the news (for no other reason other than the fact that she's talentless and naive, and people enjoy criticizing others, especially when it's anonymous and over the internet).

The media should focus on people who achieve great things, who help to empower others, or who overcome great obstacles. (which they do on rare occasion)

I could not be bothered hearing about/from people who are famous because a) they made complete fools of themselves over some form of media or b) famous for being a whore (Paris Hilton)/bigot (too many to name)/or chauvinist (charlie sheen).

I have no idea why the general public still has any interest in her (or why they had any to begin with). Maybe someone here is able to explain this to me? (serious question)

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I'm not saying she's going on to do better things-- but I admire her spirit and her character.

So do I. She put herself out there, rolled the dice, and won. Sure the song is dumb but it is also catchy and I bet there are millions of 13 year old girls who love it. Meanwhile her critics sit in their moms basement...

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
A naive and talentless (singing-wise) girl creates a music video. She ends up featured all over the news (for no other reason other than the fact that she's talentless and naive, and people enjoy criticizing others, especially when it's anonymous and over the internet).

This is the same for hip hop today. Listen to The Rejects. Talentless but yet they have radio play. Even though their song doesnt appear anymore. That is how the music industry is now.

Before, everything was played by hand.
Now you have a CD to back up when you perform at a concert.

And the music industry accepts fake g's as well. take for example Rick Ross.
Rick Ross went from being a correctional officer to now a rapper who is supposedly in a drug cartel.
The radio is the only thing that keeps talentless artists on the air.

Good thing them oldies never let me down.
This makes me wonder how music will become in the future.

Maybe Scotty Mcreery will change country music?

D

DeletedUser394

^ That in no way answered my question or even had much to do with the quoted part of the statement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.