The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is waking up early worth it?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hiya guys, just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What sparked my curiosity with this is almost all extremely successful people wake up very early(04:00-06:00am), very few of them wake up at 08:00am-10:00am. Personally, I'm someone who loves to stay up late and wake up late. I get most of my things done after 8pm, which means I go to bed usually at 01:00am-02:00am and wake up at around 09:00-09:30am.

Some of the guys in my country who I personally admire advocate waking up between 04:00am-06:00am. They all say that it gives them the mental edge over their competitors which is a great point. It gives some discipline too. But you also got all these life coaches and "gurus" on YouTube who promote it too.

Some doctors say that staying up after 11pm-12am is unhealthy for you because it messes up with your circadian rhytm(your body's natural sleep cycle). It can also mess up with your hormonal levels too.

Plus, it's more natural for us to wake up when the sun comes up.

Any of you who see any benefits in waking up early?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I've tried both working late nights and early mornings, and personally find I am much clearer-headed, focused and productive when waking up between 5:30 and 6 after getting 7-8 hours of sleep for at least two or three nights in a row. My girlfriend is the complete opposite timewise though - she isn't productive until like 10 or 11am but can work late into the evenings no problem.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Everyone feels differently about this.

Try it and see for yourself.

What you get done in the hours you're awake is more important than what time you're awake.
Spot on dude. You know, I'm just curious since you see all these gurus who preach waking up at 04:00am because some billionaires wake up at that time. And it seems to be a common thread with very successful people.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I've realized it's more important to get the work done that I need to and the right work not action faking work vs. just what time I wake up. Separately, there's the wake up time that makes me happy which I've learned is 5am so I've put in the work to make 5am my wake up time. That said, I've had plenty 5am mornings I spent action faking so I don't let myself get ahead of myself anymore about what time I wake up even if it's 5am. This is my two cents for what it's worth though because I'm in the skill building stage.

I've been waking up at 5am for 6 months or so finally after reading a lot about how to do it and implementing what I learned. There were like 2 years of failure for me where I just couldn't wake up at 5am even though I set my alarm for 5am every day lol.

You're right too that getting up before the sun has really good scientific benefits. One of my pillars of staying really healthy is I watch at least a bit of the sunrise and sunset most days and notice it really improves my health.
Good points. It's also more natural for us humans to wake up early. I remember when I was waking up very early for about a month and even when I got 6 hours of sleep, it felt much better than going to bed at 02:00am and waking up later.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The author of Miracle Morning raved in his book about waking up at 5 am or earlier daily, but what happened to him in the end?

All things in moderation....
What a legendary line! All cars kneel before Pagani :devil:. God on wheels.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
The author of Miracle Morning raved in his book about waking up at 5 am or earlier daily, but what happened to him in the end?

All things in moderation....

What did happen to him?

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
06:00am is probably more sustainable long term. Going to bed at 10pm or 11pm is not so difficult. But going to bed at 8pm or 9pm is much harder, especially if you're an active person.
I’ve never been able to get to sleep that early. Just feels weird lol.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think it depends partly on where you live and the time of the year. I live in a location where the sunrise is very early and that makes it pretty easy for me to get up at 5-5:30am. But when I lived in another city where the sunrise was later, I found it much harder to get up early.

Now I'm getting up earlier, I find my mind is much sharper earlier in the day than it is at night. And I also prefer going to bed earlier because some of the most important sleep occurs between 10pm - 2am.
Sunlight is certainly a factor.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Two great books on this:

Sleep Thieves by Stanley Cohren

And

The Early Bird Gets The Worm by The Bird that got The Worm
Always wondered who started that saying

Ok, one's a spoof, but the other one's really good.
Can't remember which though

Last edited:

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
When I've got a lot of work on, I find that getting up early (5:30/6:30ish) is best for me, because I can bang out a couple hours of uninterrupted work before my wife and dog wake up. If I try and do work 10-11pm to 1am or so, my wife will want to suggest watching a movie or we will get distracted with something.

Kind of hard to juggle around with my daily routine/schedule though because we both work from home and there's no fixed schedule. Something that I want to work on fixing this year tbh.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I’ve never been able to get to sleep that early. Just feels weird lol.
Yeah it's crazy. And some people who wake up at 04:00am-05:00am, I wonder when they go to bed. 8pm-9pm?

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Yeah it's crazy. And some people who wake up at 04:00am-05:00am, I wonder when they go to bed. 8pm-9pm?
I actually tried 5 am again today. Fell asleep at around 11:30 PM. Really productive morning but I am a bit tired. I will likely need a nap lol. It is nice having my workout and day job work done by 12 PM.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I actually tried 5 am again today. Fell asleep at around 11:30 PM. Really productive morning but I am a bit tired. I will likely need a nap lol. It is nice having my workout and day job work done by 12 PM.
That's good bro. It's actually a good feeling to be done with the main tasks early.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
There is a good book about this subject, I dont know how scientific it is or if it's total BS, but it talks about chronotypes and the ability to wake up early or stay up late and the habits associated to each chronotype...
I can totaly see it in action, I am an early bird who can wake up early but need to sleep early, my wife on the other side can stay up very late and no wake up early morning routine can suit her lifestyle.
I have to get to bed really early if I am waking up at say 4:00 AM. I got up at 3:30 AM this morning because of my work schedule this week, and I was in bed at 8 PM. I don't know how people stay up late and then get up really early like that.

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
Hiya guys, just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What sparked my curiosity with this is almost all extremely successful people wake up very early(04:00-06:00am), very few of them wake up at 08:00am-10:00am. Personally, I'm someone who loves to stay up late and wake up late. I get most of my things done after 8pm, which means I go to bed usually at 01:00am-02:00am and wake up at around 09:00-09:30am.

Some of the guys in my country who I personally admire advocate waking up between 04:00am-06:00am. They all say that it gives them the mental edge over their competitors which is a great point. It gives some discipline too. But you also got all these life coaches and "gurus" on YouTube who promote it too.

Some doctors say that staying up after 11pm-12am is unhealthy for you because it messes up with your circadian rhytm(your body's natural sleep cycle). It can also mess up with your hormonal levels too.

Plus, it's more natural for us to wake up when the sun comes up.

Any of you who see any benefits in waking up early?
Hey Martin Z,
They say the body needs rest after being active, so it depends with the type of activities you put up most of the day.
Personally i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 2.30 am daily. its part of a routine. i get extra hours before sunrise (I achieve a lot ). I struggle hard when i wish to watch some soccer games which are televised late till early morning.(its a rare case) That's my distraction (Am a Scouser ). I program my important tasks before mid-day. it works for me most of the time.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
David Goggins would jump in an ice-cold lake and swim ten miles after reading that article lol.

And I agree. People who engage in hustle culture usually put rest last and suffer major health consequences as a result. If you're waking up at 3:30 AM to rise and grind but went to bed the night before at 11 PM you're in for a world of hurt.
Exactly. What's the point of being successful when you can never enjoy it?

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
And I agree. People who engage in hustle culture usually put rest last and suffer major health consequences as a result. If you're waking up at 3:30 AM to rise and grind but went to bed the night before at 11 PM you're in for a world of hurt.
LMAO. reminded me of the time I ran everyday in the morning for like 2 months without breaks after reading Goggins. In hindsight, it was one of the dumbest and funniest thing I could've done. To give you background, I was a lifter at the time and never knew running. Like "running" was not even apart of my vocabulary. Following "hustler" culture fed my ego... the personal image of being a "savage" and "a lone wolf" gave me adrenaline like I was off some kind of drug. Atleast, until my ankles gave out and reality throat-punch me one morning. That day I was limping to the bathroom, constipated out of my mind due to a lack of fiber diet. Sitting down and looking at my traumatized shaking feet, that was about to go for a 5 mile run, I knew sh*t had to stop. Or else I might end up not walking in a week or two. That day I learnt what moderation meant. And what blind faith really is.

Maliardo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 25, 2022
Hi all.
Well for me personally it helps to get up early to be more productive and focused.
If I get up let's say at 10, I feel tired and I just do not have much energy and motivation to work and continue my day productively and do everything.
Another thing on weekends, there are people who absolutely always wake up very early, but I am not that person, on weekends I can get up at 10 for example.
To spend time with my loved ones and do my leisurely chores at home.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 21, 2019
Current routine: 6:30am wake up;7am exercise;8am head to work.

During covid, I used to try 6am wake up & start work and it can be quite powerful to do important things thru the dawn. Sets the tone for the day.

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
I have this problem too. Husband and I have both been WFH for last couple of years and it's played havoc with my schedule.
Let me know if you find a solution. I realised in my post I said we "both" WFH. My wife doesn't really work (on company books though for the obvious reasons) - so it's even MORE distracting haha. Always suggesting pub lunches and what not during the day ha

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 15, 2019
Some (lucky) people just don't need as much sleep as the majority.

I wrestle with this sometimes too. I know I get in the zone with ideas and writing later in the evenings but I'd also like to be up earlier in the mornings.

I think it's finding what works best to optimize your time for producing the results you want to prioritize.

Interestingly, before society has electricity and lights at home/factories, humans used to have two 'sleeps' per night. There was the first stage when the sun had set and people naturally felt sleepy. Then they'd wake up and get a couple of hours to do chores, socialize etc, and then go back to sleep for another sleep.

Wonder if that could work again as people are more wiling to deviate from "society's programming"?

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 8, 2019
Waking up at 5am is actually only helpful for a group of people High performers, like managers, real entrepreneurs, top athletes, single fathers and mothers who work full time etc... All these people have in common that they have little time and lots of responsibility wear. Then it makes sense to start reading a book at 5:30 a.m. and drink lemon water for a clear conscience.

The difference between these people and you is that they a) have no other way to find time to themselves b) these people already have accomplishments that you don't have and can afford to feel good about what they do. And that's the main difference. You can't afford to feel good. In this case, "feeling good" is equivalent to a motivating thought. According to the motto: I'm doing something productive. But reading 10 pages of a book in the morning or not would have no measurable value in your actual work that you have to do first. All this advice about waking up at 4, 5, 5:30 or going to McDonald's for breakfast like a certain billionaire has no effect on your work. This is Feel Good advice to make complex things easier to sell.

If you're not in control of your life and sleep 12 hours a day, then such advice may work wonders. I've also heard that successful people make their beds tidy and are therefore more successful than others :) As I said, concentrate on your actual work.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I tried both.

Years ago I used to stay up until 2-3 am and got up around noon-1 pm. As far as I remember, I followed this routine when I was building my most successful business. And it worked. I wrote a lot of good stuff back then during my late night sessions.

But eventually I got extremely tired of losing so much daylight. I switched to the other extreme and started going to bed at 9 pm and waking up around 5:30-6 am. This is the routine I keep to this day (it varies a little depending on where I am and the time of the year) and it's WAY, WAY better for me personally. By 11 am I have all the most important stuff done for the day.

I don't think that everyone needs to wake up early as some operate better at night. But I'd definitely recommend testing it over at least several months.
That's great. I've tried waking up at 05:00am for about 30 days back in 2020, and felt very productive. By 10:00am, I was 90% done with everything that was on my list. It's probably healthier to wake up during those times too.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2019
I have recently switched from getting up at 7.30 AM to 4.15 AM and have never got this much done or felt so positive, so yes is worked for me.
What is the total hours you sleep daily ?

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
As far as I know, he's doing well. Or did something happen?
This was my question as well. He was in a car accident at age 20 -- is that the reference?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I think it depends partly on where you live and the time of the year. I live in a location where the sunrise is very early and that makes it pretty easy for me to get up at 5-5:30am. But when I lived in another city where the sunrise was later, I found it much harder to get up early.

Now I'm getting up earlier, I find my mind is much sharper earlier in the day than it is at night. And I also prefer going to bed earlier because some of the most important sleep occurs between 10pm - 2am.
Great point. In Scandinavia, during summers we get sunrise at about 04:45am-05:00am and sunset at about 11:00pm-11:15pm, which does make it harder to go to bed early lol :happy:.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
When I've got a lot of work on, I find that getting up early (5:30/6:30ish) is best for me, because I can bang out a couple hours of uninterrupted work before my wife and dog wake up. If I try and do work 10-11pm to 1am or so, my wife will want to suggest watching a movie or we will get distracted with something.

Kind of hard to juggle around with my daily routine/schedule though because we both work from home and there's no fixed schedule. Something that I want to work on fixing this year tbh.
Sure, it really depends on what fits you and your body the best.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
There is a good book about this subject, I dont know how scientific it is or if it's total BS, but it talks about chronotypes and the ability to wake up early or stay up late and the habits associated to each chronotype...
I can totaly see it in action, I am an early bird who can wake up early but need to sleep early, my wife on the other side can stay up very late and no wake up early morning routine can suit her lifestyle.
Don't bears wake up early? :rofl:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hey Martin Z,
They say the body needs rest after being active, so it depends with the type of activities you put up most of the day.
Personally i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 2.30 am daily. its part of a routine. i get extra hours before sunrise (I achieve a lot ). I struggle hard when i wish to watch some soccer games which are televised late till early morning.(its a rare case) That's my distraction (Am a Scouser ). I program my important tasks before mid-day. it works for me most of the time.
Yeah for sure. That's badass man. You just gotta find what works for you :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.