The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this stealng?

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
Morning!

I found a product on Amazon that has the same complaint over and over. My question is, I plan to execute the complaint and render the product my own with this improvement. Is this stealing? As in, can the original producers come after me? Everything about the product remains the same aside from one "strap" that will be made of a different material. Obviously I would be rebranding and marketing as my own. Wasn't sure where the line is drawn for lawsuits and such? Thanks

L.P.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not nearly enough information to go off of.

Is it a generic product (like gloves, hats, dog harness, etc...) or is it a unique product that likely holds patents and significant brand recognition (like a Keurig coffee maker)?

Are you copying the original 1:1 but adding a small thing or are you going to introduce your own version of that product into the category that includes the improvement?

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
I'm not sure if it would hold patents. It is a unique product there's no doubt about that. It's the only one of its kind on the market and a larger corporations own the brand, but the brand itself is not as large as say Keurig, Target, etc.

In the market it sells to it isnt really well known either by brand as much as by the product itself. Like "Hey is that the problem you're having? Well go buy a coffee maker!" As opposed to "Hey is that the problem you're having? Well go buy a keurig!".

I would be copying the product in terms of dimensions and overall design, but I would have a different thickness to my product (same material) and I would be replacing a piece of the product entirely with a complete different material but its function would remain the same.

Last edited:

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
Ill do some more research into it and see what I can dig up from their site and patent website. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
HEADS UP!

If you are trying to make sure this post doesn't show up on the radar of your competitor, get rid of that text (or ask this question in the INSIDERS's section where it won't be visible to search traffic)

I just googled a couple sentences of that ToS text you posted it and the first result was probably your competitor.

Hint: :beer::devil: am I right?

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
HEADS UP!

If you are trying to make sure this post doesn't show up on the radar of your competitor, get rid of that text (or ask this question in the INSIDERS's section where it won't be visible to search traffic)

I just googled a couple sentences of that ToS text you posted it and the first result was probably your competitor.

Hint: :beer::devil: am I right?
LOL ill be damned

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville