The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is my dream dead now?

D

Deleted35442

Really really would, but the plant system is much more complex that it seems. I have fish in the system. Constant moving, environmental changes will stress them all out and they get sick. No fish --> no nutrients --> plants quality decreases --> customer satisfaction drops --> sales drop --> business dies. It is a 100% must to have a place to live with heat, electicity, water for this business.
Now what I'm about to say, don't take it as me discouraging you. But this business, the timing is off. If you spent money so far into this, I'd put whatever it is you spent it on into storage and hold off it for now. Your business is certainly more capital-dependent than others (requires brick & mortar, feeding fish, utilities to keep it all going, etc). I'm not saying no, I'm saying maybe not right now. Work on something less capital-intensive with a larger audience. Do something Gary Vaynerchuk-esque and be that guru/expert on all things plants and fish or what not. Make it hip and transcend (a likely older) customer-base as Gary did (look up his Wine Library TV videos). Low cost, high margin. My first fastlane business is started on less than $300 that I'd be claiming back completely on my taxes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Those two years you could have jumpstarted your business and made a shit ton of money.But instead you're posting here, check your priorities because they're not straight.

Pep talk over.

/rant

I didn't have fastlane lane mentality back then. I was 100% slowlane and business was the last thing from my mind.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Now what I'm about to say, don't take it as me discouraging you. But this business, the timing is off. If you spent money so far into this, I'd put whatever it is you spent it on into storage and hold off it for now. Your business is certainly more capital-dependent than others (requires brick & mortar, feeding fish, utilities to keep it all going, etc). I'm not saying no, I'm saying maybe not right now. Work on something less capital-intensive with a larger audience. Do something Gary Vaynerchuk-esque and be that guru/expert on all things plants and fish or what not. Make it hip and transcend (a likely older) customer-base as Gary did (look up his Wine Library TV videos). Low cost, high margin. My first fastlane business is started on less than $300 that I'd be claiming back completely on my taxes.

It isn't 100% brick and mortar since I have already devised a plant automate the 80% of the nursery. It is all ecommerce, so I don't need a person holding up the fort like retail stores. Oh, I use to follow that guy on Gary, but he got annoying. All his instagram posts are 10/10 copywriting. Actually did try a hand on a youtube channel also, but failed so miserably. Flipping stuff right now on FBA and eBay for more income.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
At the beginning, I was looking into real estate for my fastlane move. But realized it wasn't feasible for me to do, with my low capital. Anyways as a landlord, they are going to inspect when I first move in to see if I am a troubled tenant. A method a landlord will use is that they have to check the heating system. During this time, the will also inspect out of the corner of their eye. Read a ton on renting, the general consensus was that it is near impossible to find a place that allowed a business setup with either live plants or dry goods.

I've rented 6 houses throughout my life and NONE of the landlords asked for, or performed, a post-move-in inspection. Most of them didn't perform ANY annual inspection, and those that did gave me ample warning. This is just my experience.

I'm sure you've heard it before but it bears repeating. "Ask for forgiveness, not permission". A related quote I like form Tim Ferris goes: “Most people are fast to stop you before you get started but hesitate to get in the way if you're moving.”

Move in, get your garden going. If the issue comes up with the landlord, ask how you can make it right. Perhaps an additional security deposit to cover potential damage would satisfy their concern. I have several friends that run 'gardens' in their rentals, and they simply clean house before inspection.

Regarding the challenges regulating the environment, you will have to spend money on equipment to deal with temperature, humidity, etc. This is all part of the business that you've chosen, so either come up with solutions or find something easier to do.

I have to agree with the other posters though. You asked "Is my dream dead?" and despite the advice given to you, you have an answer for everything on why you CAN'T do it. So I'm not sure if you just came here to validate your self-fulfilling-prophecy of defeat or you're legitimately looking for help. Either way good luck on overcoming the challenges. Nobody here or anywhere else is going to do it for you, so you might as well get busy today moving forward.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 11, 2015
Dreams only die when people give up making them happen.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What's the footprint on your plant business? is it a bunch of glass fishtanks or rubbermaid tubs?

Just get yourself an apartment, don't worry about the landlord. He can't kick you out for growing too many plants. He's not going to check up on you. Then get a second job or sell some stuff to fund the condo rent for the first few months. How long does it take the plants to mature?

I used to sell saltwater corals out of my parents basement in a big 6' kiddie pool. If you ever try growing hard corals they grow about 1/2 inch a month! Your plant business sounds much easier than the coral farming business.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
What's the footprint on your plant business? is it a bunch of glass fishtanks or rubbermaid tubs?

Just get yourself an apartment, don't worry about the landlord. He can't kick you out for growing too many plants. He's not going to check up on you. Then get a second job or sell some stuff to fund the condo rent for the first few months. How long does it take the plants to mature?

I used to sell saltwater corals out of my parents basement in a big 6' kiddie pool. If you ever try growing hard corals they grow about 1/2 inch a month! Your plant business sounds much easier than the coral farming business.

Yeah, plastic tubes. Some of my species grow fast and others not so much. Did you ever set up a solid business on the saltwater coral? Like setting up a nursery certificate? (don't know if that applies to coral). Facility operation inspection?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Mar 30, 2014
When I was 21, I was pissed off that I wasn't the president of Best Buy Company (because I was smarter than everyone else).

When I was 41, I realized I should have been thankful that I had a job when I was 21.

You might just need some time to let the world beat you up for a while before you start to realize what really matters, and how the world really works.

The truth!

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
You might just need some time to let the world beat you up for a while before you start to realize what really matters, and how the world really works.
@ABetterLifeNow believe it or not, this is the truth. I remembering going through extremely shitty times, far worse than yours (by my perception, anyway) and thinking "Man, F*ck this". Yet, I stuck it out and, in retrospect, some of those shitty, horrible times were great times in a way--they helped me become a better person. I think you could do the same. If you're seriously looking for insight, listen to what @biophase and @Vigilante are speaking of, rumor has it the guys know a thing or two ;)

In all seriousness, in regards to your comment about how troubled you've become, I hope you seek the required help for it and pull through it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.