The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Computer Science the most valuable technical skill ?

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Almost all young multimillionaires own a web-based business, and people say business guys with no programming knowledge are likely to fail, so have we come to a point where computer science is the most valuable technical skill to learn ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dale Knauss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 3, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been thinking about this a lot myself. I'm currently reading a book called Founders At Work which profiles a bunch of successful startups. So far all of the entrepreneurs have been hardcore programmers.

Now, being a marketer with only basic HTML skills, this can be a little bit daunting...

But here's the thing, most programmers lack the business skills to really develop their ideas. That means that the successful ones aren't likely to succeed unless they get very lucky or partner with someone who knows how to make money.

If you don't have the programming chops to make the next Google, why not find someone who does and go 50/50? He may have an idea that you can make a business reality or maybe you have one that he can be brought on board with.

Lack of programming experience doesn't mean you can't be young and rich, it just means you've got to get creative.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Well, I can teach myself compsci if it's needed, I don't really mind. Just seemed curious to me how most rich people today are programmers. I mean, why does it fail when business guys hire programmers ? Because it's too hard for someone else to do exactly what you want ?

Dale Knauss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 3, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A few ideas:

Programmers are expensive - out of the reach of most entrepreneurs before venture capital.

Non-programmers often have difficulties understanding technological limitations and opportunities.

People work harder for themselves than other people. If you're paying someone, he's less likely to work in non-stop code binges to get things done and innovate.

It's much easier for a programming whiz to to whip up some code in his parent's basement and create something cool that goes viral.

VCs feel they can control programmers better so are more likely to provide them with funding.

OR - It's all in your head and there are many successful young entrepreneurs that can't even make words bold using HTML. You just happen to notice the ones that rock at programming because of your own internal filters.

PookDo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 5, 2011
Before finding MJ's book I was seriously considering going back to school for Comp Sci.Reading it has changed my opinion on the value of education versus the trap you get in by taking out loans to pay for the schooling.I wish I had this book in 1998. I would be debt free at the moment instead of being stupid and taking out loans or applying for credit cards

A

Anon3587x

I've taught myself php, mysql, css, javascript html . .. .

definitely worth it.

I can create any website idea I want. It's a very comforting feeling.

My nit picking is the only problem

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I too agree. I am a self taught "developer".. It feels good knowing I can whip up a site in a matter of days to see if it works or not.

I started as messing around on photoshop, started making flyers for folks, then changing pics on website templates, to html to html/css to some php to UI, UX design.

I am mostly a designer but I can make a prototype very very close to a working version, only thing needing someone to make it functional. You can find a good coder for $50/hr; you just have to look locally, join meetups, etc. etc.

- James F.

A

Anon3587x

James are you any good with mysql database?

foreign keys are giving me a hard time.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
This may sound off topic. But do you guys that a degree in finance is valuable as well. If someone wants to get into investing?

Being an investor yourself, you work whenever you want and however you want.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
this will only last a little bit longer, do not worry. Content Management Systems are going to make any website cheap and easy for any newbie to make. I know and im sure you do as well many gifted programmers who are broke. Its simple, either you do it, or you can afford to pay the right person OR you get a good deal and get it done with whatever money you have.

D

DeletedUser394

This may sound off topic. But do you guys that a degree in finance is valuable as well. If someone wants to get into investing?

Being an investor yourself, you work whenever you want and however you want.

You can teach yourself the entire finance degree.. but if you want to manage hundreds of millions of dollars (of other people's money), then you definitely need a degree(s)/designation(s) of some kind.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
You can teach yourself the entire finance degree.. but if you want to manage hundreds of millions of dollars (of other people's money), then you definitely need a degree(s)/designation(s) of some kind.
I didn't think people cared so much about degrees; I would subscribe to someone's fund if he's an excellent manager, degree or not (although for some reason you don't see many dropouts in finance)
Speaking of, how much did you have to put up to start prop trading & how long did it take you to become profitable ?

D

DeletedUser394

I didn't think people cared so much about degrees; I would subscribe to someone's fund if he's an excellent manager, degree or not (although for some reason you don't see many dropouts in finance)
Speaking of, how much did you have to put up to start prop trading & how long did it take you to become profitable ?

There's no one managing over $100 million dollars that doesn't have a degree. Or if there are, they are extremely rare. The degree doesn't even have to be in finance (although it helps haha). You just need a degree to appease investors.

I put 0 money into it. They supplied the cash (which was significant). In the month and a half that I worked for them, I netted around 14% profit. I quit though, and started my own subcontracting business haha.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC

As you pointed out correctly, you don't see many dropouts in finance. You may occasionally see traders with no degree. But to a large degree the financial world revolves around status and credibility: your degree & school, where you've worked at and your track record.

Also, if you want to manage serious money you will not have to convince Joe from down the road to put $5k in your fund. You will have to deal with wealthy folks and large financial institutions.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
Almost all young multimillionaires own a web-based business
Not so sure about this one. I would agree that the internet offers more opportunities than any other sector for a young, pennyless entrepreneur. But its certainly not the only way people get wealthy these days.

EdwardWhite

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 27, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
If you get into a action orentated mode, you will find everything you need to build your business. The real reason is you can build things in steps. Most people get caught up with end products. the thing is the customers decide on that.So I think you have an idea, just use what you got to make a 1.0 version. If you get bites you can ask for feedback and you can keep moving up the techincal hill. You might even have the money to deal with it or at least the credit todo the upgrades.

D

DeletedUser394

How'd you get into that?

Connections.
I had no prior experience in renovations of any kind.. now my company has a contract with the leading Windows & Doors manufacturer in my city.

I learn fast haha.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
You certainly don't need a CS degree to do most of what you need to for most web-based applications. CS is more about the theory of programming languages and databases than actually doing something useful with programming languages and databases. I was a self-taught programmer before I went back to college to get my CS degree and my most valuable skills come from the self-taught part and not the CS degree part.

If you're thinking about simple web applications (membership sites, Wordpress/Joomla modules, etc.) you can get by with fairly rudimentary programming skills - a good book (Amazon.com: PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) (9780672329166): Luke Welling, Laura Thomson: Books) and a couple of months of dedication should teach you all you need to know. For more complex apps, you're probably better off hiring someone than trying to learn enough to do it yourself. There's simply no substitute for experience in the programming world and you'll get more bang for your buck finding a way to hire an experienced programmer vs. spending your time trying to do it yourself.

As for business guys with no technical knowledge being destined to fail - the technology is just a tool - it's the marketing that's going to make you successful. Being a pure technologist is quickly becoming a low-value proposition given the preponderance of competent programmers and of content management systems and other tools that let low-tech people do so pretty cool high-tech stuff.

Knowing some programming can't hurt but I'd put my money on the marketing expert over the technology expert every time...

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Knowing some programming can't hurt but I'd put my money on the marketing expert over the technology expert every time...

AAALLL DAYY

Im sure old money millionaires are making more money than anyone with the internet, even if they have no idea at all to do it. It is just a marketing vehicle, nothing more.

Again,

-write down what you want the website to do.
-get quotes

a) you can afford to pay someone to do it.

b) you can afford to pay someone to do it but not afford to have them manage it.( now you must learn how to manage it).

b) you cant afford it---NOW YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO BUILD IT AND MANAGE IT.

Remember, i can give some people the best website in the world, and it can go without making $1.

I have seen crappy static webpages get an article published on wallstreetjournal's website and get 100,000 views in two weeks from it, while better websites get nothing.

FOCUS ON MARKETING, the website just has to do what it needs to do. Do not make the website such a big deal, eventually they're going to be so easy to do anything and programmers will not be worth 1/10th.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so have we come to a point where computer science is the most valuable technical skill to learn ?

IMO, but the programming aspect of it. If you could put together a functional, interactive website in just a few weeks, this is akin to you having the skills to build a house -- the plumbing, the electric, the carpentry, the finishwork, the roof -- all the trades to build an ASSET.

But do you guys that a degree in finance is valuable as well.

If found it useful but as the others alluded, such things can be learned from textbooks, and books at the library/amazon.com.

Also, spend a few weeks trading the markets -- you'll learn a hell of a lot than a textbook!

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
In my opinion the most important technical skills are sales and finance. Bar none.

If you can't sell, you can't make money and if you don't understand finance you can't keep money.

Best regards.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
AAALLL DAYY

Im sure old money millionaires are making more money than anyone with the internet, even if they have no idea at all to do it. It is just a marketing vehicle, nothing more.

Again,

-write down what you want the website to do.
-get quotes

a) you can afford to pay someone to do it.

b) you can afford to pay someone to do it but not afford to have them manage it.( now you must learn how to manage it).

b) you cant afford it---NOW YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO BUILD IT AND MANAGE IT.

Remember, i can give some people the best website in the world, and it can go without making $1.

I have seen crappy static webpages get an article published on wallstreetjournal's website and get 100,000 views in two weeks from it, while better websites get nothing.

FOCUS ON MARKETING, the website just has to do what it needs to do. Do not make the website such a big deal, eventually they're going to be so easy to do anything and programmers will not be worth 1/10th.

i'd have to agree, even being new. I am going to school for computer sci right now and feel its the wrong thing. I mean, you really can teach yourself it, most kids in my classes did. It doesn't matter if you make your site yourself or hire someone if you can't market what is on it.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am a computer engineer, and what I see is that you can have some kind of vision, but at the end you need the business skill. Also in college, at least in my experience, they teach you how to be a good employee. So you end your studies with a lack of business perspective. I mean, you can develop it later, like me, but you can say the same in the tech aspects.

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
Technology is the ultimate multiplier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.