The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is 2.5k$ on domain name worth it? Facts inside

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
Hi guys,

This should be my first serious step towards execution.

Let me put yourself in a bit of context: I make more than a comfortable living in my corporate job, working on the development and marketing of "newtech" for years. Because of my track record I have acquired consulting and training skills that are vendor agnostic, in addition to a network of collaborators, that can easily set me up for a successful education/professional training/consulting portal.

I piloted a concept two years ago already with 3dprintstrategy.com, and I started to get clients relatively easy but I had no automated product to sell to them, all was custom consulting. The site is currently shut down now as it was not scalable.

Thing is, I have been looking for 2 years for a brand name that would allow me to:
1. Grow an authority site while working my full time job, a domain like newtecheducation.com or newtechcourses.com​
2. That the domain name could be used as a brand name without sounding fishy, funny or overall cheap once I go all out on my own.​

My industry is b2b, so the above names would not look good in my LinkedIn profile.

What I find is a very good compromise is a .info domain: 3dprinting.info. It is short, descriptive and can be used as a professional brand name too.

I started a negotiation with owner at 10k$, he agreed on it for 2.5k$

Is there anyway to know the real value of the domain? I dont want to overpay to be honest. Search volumes for this "new tech" keyword are 60-100k monthyl for USA alone.

Shelling out 2.5k I feel would also help me on the execution side of things as right now I am in a very comfortable position and its difficult to take action.

Thanks!

EDIT: As I see the thread is getting traction, I am disclosing my field of work which is 3dprinting, domain would be 3dprinting.info

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
After a cursory search of less than 2 minutes I have found lots of derivatives of newtech, that will cost you pennies. I would never pay $2.5k for a name unless I already had an established business that would benefit way more than $2.5k if it had the name.

newtechinfo is available in various guises.

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
After a cursory search of less than 2 minutes I have found lots of derivatives of newtech, that will cost you pennies. I would never pay $2.5k for a name unless I already had an established business that would benefit way more than $2.5k if it had the name.

newtechinfo is available in various guises.

HEY!

Sorry, newtech is not the domain name. I just don´t want to disclose the specific technology.

Imagine for instance blockchain.info instead of blockchaincourses.com. If you take a look at google trends blockchain and this new technology are more or less at a similar interest/search rates overtime.

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
For 2.5k you get another domain name (that is available) plus a custom made website. I'd never pay for a domain.

With just a little creativity, there is always an available domain name.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I would never buy an .info domain, even for $2.50, let alone $2.5k. IMO a .com domain is always preferable, even if it's longer. Nobody will remember that your domain ends with .info and they'll type .com anyway, frustrated that they can't find you. Also, maybe that's just me, but .info domains sound scammy.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Depends on the things you're doing, general words name may give you some SEO boost.
At least that worked for my old project on XYZdb.org and seems to work for cryptodividend.io too.

.com with a brand name might be better if you don't rely on SEO traffic that much.

For just starting out, I also don't think that $2.5k for a domain would be justified expenses.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
HEY!

Sorry, newtech is not the domain name. I just don´t want to disclose the specific technology.

Imagine for instance blockchain.info instead of blockchaincourses.com. If you take a look at google trends blockchain and this new technology are more or less at a similar interest/search rates overtime.

OK, but the point is, that you can just change the name slightly to get what you want.

Also if you are going down the tech/blockchain route, I would go for a .io.

Anyway, the big takeaway here is don't pay $2.5k for a domain name.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Don't think there are any .INFO domain names worth more than $100, much less $2,500.

Be creative about this problem and you will save yourself $2,500.

I think when you spend that kind of money, you're action-faking, but it feels significant because of the expenditure.

Additionally, the forum cannot really help you if you refuse to disclose the genre/tech.

I have a knack for domain naming and with using a dot-com. But I can't help if you don't disclose.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I would never use or invest in anything other than a .com. Either be creative and register an available .com or keep an eye out for pre-release and expiring domains up for auction with your keywords in it. Stay away from .info, especially for an authoritative business. I would rather use the long tail version .com (if it's relevant and makes sense) over a .info, but try not to go over two words when using long tail, just doesn't sound or look right.

D

Deleted50669

I had to make this choice recently. Instead of coughing up the $3000.00 in my case, I altered the name of the brand slightly while retaining the same meaning. Then I bought every extension available for it for less than $200.00. Even China can't buy the Chinese derivative of my brand now. Muhuhahaha.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I would never use or invest in anything other than a .com.

That sentence there nails it all. I once went with a .net back in the day and worst mistake I ever made. Now have a bunch of killer .com names by just sitting at the computer and getting creative plugging in names till the right one appears in time.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
My personal opinion.. it could be the best most generic brandable name ever but .info is a killer. I second that above person, I'd never spend more than $10 unless it was .com

Money.info, cola.info, cars.info, houses.info - all of these look terrible imo.

Try GoDaddy domain auctions and filter your search up.. you'll find plenty of good deals on .com's !

Best of luck..

D

Deleted67963

There is a wellknown website in France called youdot.io, you can find nice domain for auctions that allready "lived" and thus saving time on your SEO

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
As said multiple times... get a .com

It's still king (and always will be)

.info, .biz, etc sound spammy in my opinion.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
As a domain name investor, I would never own a .info, they are not worth anything. $2500 for a .com would be worth it depending on the keywords. You can message me your actual word if you want, and I can see what I can find. You could also check afternic.com to see if something a little different is available. I payed $2000 for my own domain name for my new project, but it fits almost perfect. It has 2 easy keywords, and only 8 characters.

D

Deleted67963

As said multiple times... get a .com

It's still king (and always will be)

.info, .biz, etc sound spammy in my opinion.

I was not praising the .io, but was pointing out this particular website that sells tons of domains on auctions. Sorry if I was not clear enough

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Another thing to think about is that .info will get filtered by a lot of email servers. You may find a lot of your outgoing emails going into junk folders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
There's not much more that can be said here than to echo the other comments already made. MJ said it best.

.com for everything, .org for nonprofits (which should still have the .com redirected to it), and .io for tech (which should probably still have the .com re-directed to it).

.info is reminiscent of spammy affiliate marketing sites in general or landing pages. It has a purpose but this is not it.

Zakary Frank

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2016
look at 5-10 similar/competing businesses and do whatever they are doing.

if they are all using ".com" use that. if they are all using ''.io" use that.

anything else could cost you credibility/trust.

personally, i never think it is worth it when I can get the exact same result for $10/year...

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
Hi guys, thanks a bunch for all the replies!

They all make sense and my head has done through this thinking before indeed. My field of work is 3d printing.

Some companies with cool names in the 3D printing field are "shapeways" or "formlabs", and then theres a huge array of companies with names such as 3dprintpro, 3dprintingmba etc. which in my opinion are not names for a "serious" business platform. The only I could find that had this generic keyword and yet could serve as a descriptive and professional brandname was 3dprinting.info.

I had in mind stuff like (all thse words relate somehow to the niche, but most are taken):

thejoinery.com
meltingpoint.com
digitalfactory.com
additiveminds.com
replicator.com

Any new ideas? The key really is to build a platform such as www.strategyzer.com but for my niche.

As a domain name investor, I would never own a .info, they are not worth anything. $2500 for a .com would be worth it depending on the keywords. You can message me your actual word if you want, and I can see what I can find. You could also check afternic.com to see if something a little different is available. I payed $2000 for my own domain name for my new project, but it fits almost perfect. It has 2 easy keywords, and only 8 characters.

Hi Jaden, the actual word is 3d printing. And the goal would be to build a professional training/education/consulting platform.

Don't think there are any .INFO domain names worth more than $100, much less $2,500.

Be creative about this problem and you will save yourself $2,500.

I think when you spend that kind of money, you're action-faking, but it feels significant because of the expenditure.

Additionally, the forum cannot really help you if you refuse to disclose the genre/tech.

I have a knack for domain naming and with using a dot-com. But I can't help if you don't disclose.

I am disclosing... 3dprinting.info :D

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
That sentence there nails it all. I once went with a .net back in the day and worst mistake I ever made. Now have a bunch of killer .com names by just sitting at the computer and getting creative plugging in names till the right one appears in time.
I agree completely with the above. Remember how legit your geocities page was back in the day? Having a goofy domain is just a step or two above that. Plus, domains that don't end in .com tend to scare the elderly lol, or maybe that's just my parents.

Unless you've got something really creative like Skribbl.io (best waste of time on the net right now!), or totally useful like Weboas.is, stick to .com's, especially at any kind of price. Be open to a .com that doesn't necessarily have your industry in the title, but is otherwise catchy.

As for some other users' thoughts on this topic, I don't necessarily agree with everyone that says not to spend any real money on a domain. It really does depend, but speaking for myself, I would only spend real money on a legit premium .com domain.

Didn't @MJ DeMarco say that he leveraged himself pretty hard to buy Limos.com to get himself started?

One thing I'd advise for anyone hunting domains would be to be patient. Even if you're not looking to launch something new right now, make a habit of regularly cruising through domain auctions/name drop sales. Do it long enough, and you'll come across a gems that will give you ideas and opportunities you'd never have thought of otherwise. And you'll also have a much better picture of trends, prices, potential, etc.

A few years back while I was working on an entirely unrelated project, I came across 2x premium domains at different auctions. Everyone else must have been asleep during the auctions because I got them both for about $5K. While some folks on here may think that's crazy, I've since gotten multiple offers for each domain at just short of the 6-figure price range. But flipping domains at these prices isn't Fastlane.

These two "accidental" discoveries are the vehicles that I'm currently building in my Fastlane garage that will set me on the path that I want to be on. So keep your eyes peeled, and don't be rushed into something that you're gonna regret and will hurt your business in the long run.

And just a side note, you'll also come across some interesting domains that you'll want to pick up just to build something fun in the future.

I won MexicanHistory.com awhile back, and when I bought iHeartBoobs.com, I also ended up with KinkyWhore.com (check it out, totally safe for work lol) and a couple other naughty .com's in a package deal. Not my taste in business, but amusing nonetheless.

Aaaand, I just realized I'm typing too much again. This is why I stay away from forums lol.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 4, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi MrG. I'm brand new to this forum (will do an intro soon) but I do a lot of domain investing.

Have you tried expireddomains.net? You can search for available hand registrations ($10) and it also has most domain name marketplace listings for a possible bargain. As someone mentioned above, be patient and monitor the auctions through expireddomains.net and you can get a great .com brand at wholesale pricing. If you're enquiring on already owned domains, expect to pay 10X. Also keep in mind any existing trademarks with names at trademark247.com.

IMO .info is junk (I've done it before and regretted it for a business) - .io is ok for tech startups with plans to eventually upgrade to .com - choose a .com straight up if you can and you won't look back.

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
Also keep in mind any existing trademarks with names at trademark247.com.
Have you ever used Trademark247? Just wondering what you or anyone else who has used them thinks of their services.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 4, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Have you ever used Trademark247? Just wondering what you or anyone else who has used them thinks of their services.

I use it (and other trademark DBs) nearly on a daily basis for simply quick free searches on names I'm interested in. The last thing anyone needs is a UDRP on domain name you paid a lot of money for where someone already has a trademark on the name.

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I use it (and other trademark DBs) nearly on a daily basis for simply quick free searches on names I'm interested in. The last thing anyone needs is a UDRP on domain name you paid a lot of money for where someone already has a trademark on the name.
It's definitely easier to remember than the patent office website lol. Ever used them to file a trademark on a domain?

Joost11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 10, 2019
Please dont pay 2,5k. Just start off with any other domain and go to work. Once you have success you can still change to a new domain, brand name, adjust the logo etc.. (wont cost you 2,5k) As mentioned earlier .info is trash.

Also keep in mind that it is not important to Google anymore to have the word "tech" or "course" or whatever in the domain name.

I would suggest anyone that wants to start a brand to just make up some word that sounds good and use it as a brand. After a while Google will automatically associate your brand name with the right niche/industry. Thats how it is done nowadays. No need for keywords in the domain name..

Anyway, good luck!!

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
My suggestions (all available):
- 10dprinting.com (10 dimensions, why not ?)
- 33dprinting.com
- 1dprinting.com
- pidprinting.com (pi=3.1415... almost 3)

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
And more:
- safe3dprinting.com (who doesn't want safety ? :) )
- fantasyprinting.com

Earthling

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 23, 2019
A fancy domain can be worth it if has certain branding advantages. I don't think 3dprinting.info has any branding benefit. In fact, I would say the opposite. This brand is forgettable and doesn't differentiate you from the masses. It's not easy to remember (versus 3dprinting.com, and is it threedprinting or 3dprinting if you say it out loud).

You'd be better off paying a couple creatives/writers a few hundred dollars to brainstorm for you. Then, buy the domain for $10.

These are all available as of this moment:

nextgenmaker.com - NextGen Maker can be your moniker for a Youtube-like marketing campaign.
synthetikadesign.com - Synthetika Design Services is your company.
printoutsidethebox.com - "Print Outside the Box" is your brand and motto.

There are a ton of ideas that fit into whatever marketing/business strategy you have in mind. If you can't come up with it, hire someone who can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.