The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

916decker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have an iPad and love it. My cell phone is a rooted Epic 4g (have Sprint so the 4g doesn't really matter).

I use the free wifi tethering for my business on a daily basis, the Gmail native app is amazing, plus most of my web life is revolved around Google services.

Apples products are great, I just get hung up on their close minded perspective as opposed to Googles open source attitude. (also The new iPhone is going to have a new connector, now another plug to have to have)

I would like my iPad to better integrate with my phone (hence by getting an iPhone) , I'm just not sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks fellow Fastlaners!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Well, I can't comment much on the iPhone 5 as it's not out yet. But I have had an iPhone since they came out, and have also had an Android Phone. I also have owned several Macs. I'm not an Apple Fan boy, but their products just work. The integration between OS X, iPad, iPhone, etc. make my life and work simpler.

For example, all my contacts, mail (Google Apps), calendars, notes, and to do lists are synced across all of my devices. My phone and Apple products are super reliable. Apple knows how to build hardware systems that run their proprietary software, and they do it extremely well.

I was toying around with the idea of getting a newer Android phone (as I would love a 4G phone), but have decided to wait until the iPhone gets 4G/LTE (which is hopefully next week).

I've played with a Galaxy S3, while neat, when my friend switched from an iPhone she hated the S3. Hope this helps.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I had both. I actually, opened a new Verizon account to have S3 for business and iPhone for personal.
The extra $100/month wasn't worth it IMO.
Returned it 10 days later.
The iPhone gives you everything you need. It's simple and just works.

Victor Santiago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 21, 2012
I would get the S3.

I agree that Apple's products are great, but I'm an Android guy, I wouldn't trade an Android for an iOS.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I just don't understand all the hype with Apple products and the iPhone, but that's me.

It's Android all the way for me, and I can HIGHLY recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note as an excellent smartphone for business. It's hands down the best phone I have ever used, tried, and owned. Why people would consider anything else is beyond me. :)

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I don't have an iPhone and never have had one, BUT I am writing this post from my macbook pro. I like Apple products because they just work. That being said, I love my S3!!! Absolutely LOVE IT! I haven't even rooted it and its my favorite phone. I will say this, switching from slow as molasses sprint to Att helps because the LTE from ATT is blazing fast.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love my iPhone 4S and will be preordering the new iPhone 5 (at least one, maybe several) on Wednesday. I use the voice recognition software constantly.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I switched from iPhone 4 to Blackberry Bold 9900 end of 2011, because I couldnt type properly on the iPhone. But I'm hating my blackberry more each day. So in the next weeks it will go on ebay and I will get the new iPhone.

Also switched from lenovo thinkpad to macbook pro last summer. switched back to sony vaio in the end of 2011 because I needed to run windows software and simply switched the mac for a new vaio. Same thing as with the blackberry. Will switch back to a macbook air in the next few months.

Simply said: blackberry/android and windows are often a hassle to use/set up properly. with apple products its just easy and quick and allows you to focus on the important things.

916decker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Great feedback guys, I definitely that some deep pondering to do. I suppose it's a waiting game we really see what the iPhone 5 is all about. It's such a damn hard decision. Thanks again Fastlaners for your great insights.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Galaxy S3 is my vote of those 2 but I really like the Galaxy Note. Very highly reguarded Androids. I also have about 100 bucks in android apps Id rather not give up.

Apple was always decent to me but I hated the email client. Love maildroid!

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
Everyone I've talking to who has the 1st note loves it.. making the Note 2 sound very appealing!

Galaxy S3 is my vote of those 2 but I really like the Galaxy Note. Very highly reguarded Androids. I also have about 100 bucks in android apps Id rather not give up.

Apple was always decent to me but I hated the email client. Love maildroid!

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I use the iPhone4 and am just waiting for the iPhone5 to be released.

I don't particularly love it in the sense of "OMG I LOVE IT!!" but it
does everything I want it to, with Sparrow Mail, tethering that almost never
fails, decent battery life, great apps, awesome GPS, so I'm just looking forward
to a new model!

Probably going to get the S3 as a secondary phone to test out apps I'm getting
developed but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my iPhone!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It will be interesting to see what products Samsung is forced to recall from the U.S. market in light of the huge loss to Apple 2 weeks ago...it won't affect phones already in consumer's hands but it likely WILL affect the availability of some Samsung phone models for this Fall...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My cell phone is a rooted Epic 4g
You are a hacker (i.e. savvy user). Stick to Android.

Apples products are great, I just get hung up on their close minded perspective as opposed to Googles open source attitude.
Well, this confirms my point. You don't like Apple as a corporation. Don't buy their products. You will always find something wrong with them.

the Gmail native app is amazing, plus most of my web life is revolved around Google services.
You are a google fan boy. Stick to Android. You will get more out of it. You can hack it easier.

I would like my iPad to better integrate with my phone (hence by getting an iPhone) , I'm just not sure.
Start looking into getting a Samsung tablet. They are great products as well. And if you are comfortable with the OS then it is an easy pick.

By the way, I am curious, what do you mean by "integrate with my phone"?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I only have experience with Iphone 4s and breifly using Galaxy. I do not want Galaxy, and I recommend my friend switch to an iphone as it is smaller, and in my opinion, easier to use.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I had iphone and switched to galaxy s2, hands down much better. Voice to text is phenomenally accurate, phone is thinner, bigger, lighter, battery fine. I am on sprint and it sucks here so I will be getting an S3 on verizon soon. I will never consider an iphone until they make an equivalent size screen. Jobs is gone, Apple it's time to make larger screens on the order of droid phones. I hear the new iphone will be a bit longer but still not the screen size of droids. If you do quite a bit of data/internet and you try a larger screen, you'll never go back. It's like going from a computer screen to a 47" screen for TV, then trying to go back. I could understand women w/ smaller hands maybe not wanting a larger phone but they rock. I don't get the "iphone is for ease of use" and "droid for advanced" blah blah blah. S2 is easy to navigate as an iphone.

Ive also heard good things about the galaxy note as well, I may check one of those out before I make my decision if the new model is out?

916decker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You are a hacker (i.e. savvy user). Stick to Android.

Well, this confirms my point. You don't like Apple as a corporation. Don't buy their products. You will always find something wrong with them.

You are a google fan boy. Stick to Android. You will get more out of it. You can hack it easier.

Start looking into getting a Samsung tablet. They are great products as well. And if you are comfortable with the OS then it is an easy pick.

By the way, I am curious, what do you mean by "integrate with my phone"?

By integrating with my phone, I mean having the same apps that are seamless for my tablet and phone, like the iPhone and iPad for example.

amgchristian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 11, 2012
You should consider the galaxy note II which is coming out soon. Either that or the iPhone 5.

Turboboost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 11, 2012
I'll wait for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to come out, then I'll decide between S3 and Note 2. I've never had an iphone but have several friends who own S3 and are really satisfied with it.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Apple it's time to make larger screens on the order of droid phones. I hear the new iphone will be a bit longer but still not the screen size of droids. If you do quite a bit of data/internet and you try a larger screen, you'll never go back. It's like going from a computer screen to a 47" screen for TV, then trying to go back. I could understand women w/ smaller hands maybe not wanting a larger phone but they rock. I don't get the

"iphone is for ease of use" and "droid for advanced" blah blah blah. S2 is easy to navigate as an iphone.

Well said! Yeah this is exactly it. I don't get this either. All the android phones I have seen were so easy to use, that my kids (and my technically inept dad) could use them. What exactly is more difficult to use on an Android vs. an iPhone? I challenge the iPhone users here to try a Galaxy Note and let me know what you thought? :) I think this public perception simply comes from back when the first generation of Androids came around in '08 - and the first phones still had some issues to iron out. But that was 4 years ago! Android has matured lightyears since then, and all the new android phones are SUPER easy to use and intuitive! Everything is sooo easy to set up and navigate.

Why settle for a smaller screen, and limitations in what you can and cannot do (iPhone) - when you can have nicer, bigger screens, the same user-friendly experience, and your own freedom to do what you want your phone to do (Android)?

Lol, I gotta stop here before I start sounding like a complete fanboy... I'm not one of those close-minded people who refuse to buy anything Apple, etc. The iPad is a very cool product and I do have an open mind to new innovation. It's just that Android already passed them up in their offerings, and they need to catch up before it's too late. Right now, Apple is pretty much relying on sales from name recognition and media hype alone - not by trying to catch up on the already better features and benefits that their competitors offer.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Why settle for a smaller screen

personally, I hate those big screens. its just a phone after all. I dont want 1/2 of a tablet in my pocket.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I hate the otterboxes with all of the rubber, makes it hard to put it in a pocket or take it out. That is the size thing that pisses me off. On the other hand, I want half a tablet in my pocket. I am able to work from anywhere with my 4.5 inch smartphone. I see it like adding productivity. I am definitely getting a Galaxy Note and I am going to T-mobile instead of Sprint when my ATT contract is up. I like the ATT coverage but it is too damn expensive, their competitors beat them into the ground.

I closed a deal on Friday from the golf course :)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Lol, I gotta stop here before I start sounding like a complete fanboy

Too late :)

Why settle for a smaller screen, and limitations in what you can and cannot do (iPhone) - when you can have nicer, bigger screens, the same user-friendly experience, and your own freedom to do what you want your phone to do (Android)?

I couldn't stand a phone that big. I think the iPhone is a little too big to be honest; it needs to be a little skinnier skinnier and shorter IMO.

I think this public perception simply comes from back when the first generation of Androids came around in '08 - and the first phones still had some issues to iron out. But that was 4 years ago!

I had 2-3 Androids pre iPhone 4 and have had the same iPhone 4 since. I hated pretty much every single thing about each Droid I owned. It seems like they always have the next "iPhone killer" but it's exactly the same phone as their past 50 with a different case. Have they changed since 2011 very much?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If I didn't have a mac, and plan on picking up an iPad, and a lot of friends on iPhones...I might consider the S3. But, IMHO, Apple's iOS is better in almost every way than Android (other than customization), and the app store is much better.

But, Android phones have had 4G/LTE for a while now...so that's definitely one reason to go with Android. If the iPhone 5 has LTE, I'm sticking with that so I can tether my unlimited data to my laptop. ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've got LTE right now and it has taken at least 30 seconds to load this thread. It is nothing special. I actually see no difference from when I had a 3g iPhone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.