- Joined
- Mar 3, 2022
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$250
$250
User Power: 75%
Greetings Fastlane forum! I am Matthew from the UK and I am both excited and nervous to introduce myself. I am a final year PhD student who has decided that academia doesn't suit me and is now in the process of trying to find the next step whilst in the process of writing up my work.
My journey to the fastlane forum started with my dissatisfaction with my PhD program, although at times the work was good, and the supervisory team are good people, I felt like something was missing. All this hard work to then hand it over to an academic journal to profit from didn't sit right to me. Add to this constant emails detailing strike action from other staff who were unhappy with pay/treatment at the university. In this void, and thanks to my brother, I was introduced to the minefield of personal development, reading books such as "Rich dad, poor dad", "4 hour workweek" and the like. Although originally these books provided me with useful information about the alternate pathway instead of a job, I always felt the vast majority left out the key bits behind a huge paywall for mentoring or courses. It wasn't until a great video by James Jani about the truth of money that introduced me to the work of @MJ DeMarco. After reading MLF, Unscripted and the Great Rat Race escape , I realised these feelings of emptiness and a road to nowhere are the result of the script, plus these books weren't trying to get me to buy any extra stuff which is always a bonus. These books introduced the fundamental concept of having a CENTS business that makes money by adding value to peoples lives, rather than the deceptive advertising schemes I see all to often.
Currently I am battling with two major flaws in my beliefs and mindset which have sabotaged my PhD progress as well as other elements of my life. These are: 1) being stopped by fear and 2) a fixed mindset. Currently I am working through these flaws, in particular the fear part which has kept me lurking on this forum for months as a guest. Once these issues are managed, I aim to create a CENTS based business that changes lives including my own, though finding out how to use my current skills to fill a need in the marketplace is another challenge that I must overcome.
I look forward to participating on the forum and hope to gain and give a lot of useful wisdom in the years to come!
My journey to the fastlane forum started with my dissatisfaction with my PhD program, although at times the work was good, and the supervisory team are good people, I felt like something was missing. All this hard work to then hand it over to an academic journal to profit from didn't sit right to me. Add to this constant emails detailing strike action from other staff who were unhappy with pay/treatment at the university. In this void, and thanks to my brother, I was introduced to the minefield of personal development, reading books such as "Rich dad, poor dad", "4 hour workweek" and the like. Although originally these books provided me with useful information about the alternate pathway instead of a job, I always felt the vast majority left out the key bits behind a huge paywall for mentoring or courses. It wasn't until a great video by James Jani about the truth of money that introduced me to the work of @MJ DeMarco. After reading MLF, Unscripted and the Great Rat Race escape , I realised these feelings of emptiness and a road to nowhere are the result of the script, plus these books weren't trying to get me to buy any extra stuff which is always a bonus. These books introduced the fundamental concept of having a CENTS business that makes money by adding value to peoples lives, rather than the deceptive advertising schemes I see all to often.
Currently I am battling with two major flaws in my beliefs and mindset which have sabotaged my PhD progress as well as other elements of my life. These are: 1) being stopped by fear and 2) a fixed mindset. Currently I am working through these flaws, in particular the fear part which has kept me lurking on this forum for months as a guest. Once these issues are managed, I aim to create a CENTS based business that changes lives including my own, though finding out how to use my current skills to fill a need in the marketplace is another challenge that I must overcome.
I look forward to participating on the forum and hope to gain and give a lot of useful wisdom in the years to come!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
