The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro / Seeking advice on product launch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TimBouchard

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 24, 2022
Florida
Hello FLF,

I have been meaning to write this post for a while now but just have not gotten around to it until now. About 4-5 months ago, I read all of the @MJ DeMarco books, starting with Rat Race and then MFL and Unscripted . These books solidified my decision to pursue a life of Entrepreneurship. I have always been an avid reader and read a lot of books about business and entrepreneurship but MJ's books definitely compelled me to want to take action more than anything else I had read.

A little background on who I am and where I come from. I am actually a professional baseball player in the US (not affiliated with MLB...yet). I play in an independent league called the Pioneer League which is made up of teams that used to be minor league affiliates of MLB clubs but are no longer due to Covid, which cut MiLB basically in half. I am 25 years old and began my "professional" career last year after graduating from college last summer. I am a 2x 1st team All-American and was Conference POTY last year. My main goal in my life has always been to play for MLB and will continue to pursue that goal until I cannot pursue it any longer. Anybody in here a scout or front-office member of a MLB club? lol

One of the reasons that I have decided to pursue the entrepreneur life is to provide a life for my amazing wife and our future children. My wife and I have been married for about a year and a half now (been together for almost 6 years). She has actually been one of the main driving forces in eliminating the excuse that since I am playing baseball there is no way for me to make money or have a career since I am devoting so much time to the game. Which leads into what our latest venture is into.

My wife and I both live a very holistic, clean lifestyle, trying to limit the number of toxic things we take in through this world, which is nearly impossible. She was always raised this way by her family and then I was introduced and fell in love with the lifestyle when we met. With the series of events over the past handful of years it appears that this way of living is starting to become quite popular and more people are becoming aware of their health and their environments.

When I was in college, I came up with an idea for a natural sports drink. Since most of my childhood was fueled by Gatorade, I can understand how bad something like Gatorade and other competing brands of sports drinks are. These drinks and all the variations that are still coming out today with different names made me think that there isn't really something completely natural with just whole-food ingredients out there. After a few months of messing around with recipes, I came up with a recipe that I was very confident in that also hydrates well beyond any drink available while being completely natural and healthy. I ended up getting a lot of my teammates and coaches to try it and everybody loved it. Many people even said they would prefer it more than any sports drink they have ever tried. I probably had close to 50 people try it and at worst someone would be indifferent by it and at best say they would order cases of it. So this coinciding with Rat Race Escape landing in my lap(universe really forcing my hand here) really forced me to look into creating something out of it.

My wife's uncle is actually a co-packer who packages drinks in cans so this was a great connection for us to have right out of the gate. So we got together with him and he said he would help us get this going as much as he could. He got us in contact with some can manufacturers who were able to get the design that we had made onto some cans and that's currently where we are today. We have had some bumps along the way, most recently being the compatibility test needed for our drink to be housed in cans. In order for our drink to be canned it has to pass a compatibility test to ensure the beverage is able to be held for 12 months in a can. Our drink is just 4 ingredients that are whole food items so our drink ended up being a little too acidic, so we had to send out a couple more refined batches to get retested. We are confident that these results should be better after speaking with the chemists for the can manufacturer.

This is where I am looking for a little bit of advice from people who have successfully launched a product such as this before. The first batch we are having made is 200 gallons which comes out to about 2100 cans. For online, we are selling 12-packs and 6-packs. We plan on getting in contact with some local small businesses such as health food stores and gyms that might want to test our product in their business. We are about 2 weeks away, barring any setbacks with the test, from having our cans finished and printed. Then after the cans are completed and shipped to our co-packer, we are about 3 weeks away from having finished drink in cans. So for a total of about 5-6 weeks away from having finished product. We have a completed website that is up and running (not yet announced to our followers). I am curious to know what the recommended timeline/preparation needed to announce both the launch of the website and then announce the drink itself. We have been up on social media for a little over a month and have been posting every day on Facebook and Instagram (Instagram has been our main platform thus far). We have not linked the website in any of our bios yet and have not yet announced the drink, would love any advice people would be able to lend.

Look forward to hearing back and updating this post as we go along, Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RiseandShine

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 16, 2023
Hello FLF,

I have been meaning to write this post for a while now but just have not gotten around to it until now. About 4-5 months ago, I read all of the @MJ DeMarco books, starting with Rat Race and then MFL and Unscripted . These books solidified my decision to pursue a life of Entrepreneurship. I have always been an avid reader and read a lot of books about business and entrepreneurship but MJ's books definitely compelled me to want to take action more than anything else I had read.

A little background on who I am and where I come from. I am actually a professional baseball player in the US (not affiliated with MLB...yet). I play in an independent league called the Pioneer League which is made up of teams that used to be minor league affiliates of MLB clubs but are no longer due to Covid, which cut MiLB basically in half. I am 25 years old and began my "professional" career last year after graduating from college last summer. I am a 2x 1st team All-American and was Conference POTY last year. My main goal in my life has always been to play for MLB and will continue to pursue that goal until I cannot pursue it any longer. Anybody in here a scout or front-office member of a MLB club? lol

One of the reasons that I have decided to pursue the entrepreneur life is to provide a life for my amazing wife and our future children. My wife and I have been married for about a year and a half now (been together for almost 6 years). She has actually been one of the main driving forces in eliminating the excuse that since I am playing baseball there is no way for me to make money or have a career since I am devoting so much time to the game. Which leads into what our latest venture is into.

My wife and I both live a very holistic, clean lifestyle, trying to limit the number of toxic things we take in through this world, which is nearly impossible. She was always raised this way by her family and then I was introduced and fell in love with the lifestyle when we met. With the series of events over the past handful of years it appears that this way of living is starting to become quite popular and more people are becoming aware of their health and their environments.

When I was in college, I came up with an idea for a natural sports drink. Since most of my childhood was fueled by Gatorade, I can understand how bad something like Gatorade and other competing brands of sports drinks are. These drinks and all the variations that are still coming out today with different names made me think that there isn't really something completely natural with just whole-food ingredients out there. After a few months of messing around with recipes, I came up with a recipe that I was very confident in that also hydrates well beyond any drink available while being completely natural and healthy. I ended up getting a lot of my teammates and coaches to try it and everybody loved it. Many people even said they would prefer it more than any sports drink they have ever tried. I probably had close to 50 people try it and at worst someone would be indifferent by it and at best say they would order cases of it. So this coinciding with Rat Race Escape landing in my lap(universe really forcing my hand here) really forced me to look into creating something out of it.

My wife's uncle is actually a co-packer who packages drinks in cans so this was a great connection for us to have right out of the gate. So we got together with him and he said he would help us get this going as much as he could. He got us in contact with some can manufacturers who were able to get the design that we had made onto some cans and that's currently where we are today. We have had some bumps along the way, most recently being the compatibility test needed for our drink to be housed in cans. In order for our drink to be canned it has to pass a compatibility test to ensure the beverage is able to be held for 12 months in a can. Our drink is just 4 ingredients that are whole food items so our drink ended up being a little too acidic, so we had to send out a couple more refined batches to get retested. We are confident that these results should be better after speaking with the chemists for the can manufacturer.

This is where I am looking for a little bit of advice from people who have successfully launched a product such as this before. The first batch we are having made is 200 gallons which comes out to about 2100 cans. For online, we are selling 12-packs and 6-packs. We plan on getting in contact with some local small businesses such as health food stores and gyms that might want to test our product in their business. We are about 2 weeks away, barring any setbacks with the test, from having our cans finished and printed. Then after the cans are completed and shipped to our co-packer, we are about 3 weeks away from having finished drink in cans. So for a total of about 5-6 weeks away from having finished product. We have a completed website that is up and running (not yet announced to our followers). I am curious to know what the recommended timeline/preparation needed to announce both the launch of the website and then announce the drink itself. We have been up on social media for a little over a month and have been posting every day on Facebook and Instagram (Instagram has been our main platform thus far). We have not linked the website in any of our bios yet and have not yet announced the drink, would love any advice people would be able to lend.

Look forward to hearing back and updating this post as we go along, Thank you.
Congrats on your product! I am no expert by any means.

Decided to reply to your post as my nephews were so hyped about finally get a few bottles of prime last week. I vaguely heard that it was sugar free, but wasn't surprised to see sugar alternatives and thought why isn't there a CLEAN energy drink without fillers and hidden sugars.

anyhows, best of luck with the launch!

Ever consider doing a hype/countdown video? Or an exclusive offer for those who are first to purchase?

I am curious to see what your ingredients are.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Congrats! You've made a lot of progress and it seems like the universe is definitely lining things up to make this a success.

The beverage category can be a hard one to break into and get shelf space but I know there are a few people here on FLF that are active in the category. Unfortunately I am not one of them so I don't have a lot of advice to offer.

However, if you haven't yet read the book Launch by Jeff Walker, I highly recommend it. I've use some of these techniques in the past and depending on your strategy, it may be worth delaying your own launch to do the same. There's a lot to be said for having a strong launch and creating that initial market demand particularly in competitive markets.

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Congrats on the launch.

Website should be ready by now in my opinion, it's your prime marketing material to get awareness on the competitive market. When I hear about a new product, the next thing I ll do is go and search online for their detail first, like its site, social media, any press release..etc. So, if you have well demand product that you trust, go ahead with it. Create a landing page with good images and content, optimize it for SEO, share it with your network, and get awareness.

Social media on other hand is the best way to create your awareness, use shorts, and reels for quick reach. Also, don't forget about making a Google My Business page, to get reviews from your buyers.

It's all about marketing nowadays, so do start yours right away.

All the best :)

TimBouchard

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 24, 2022
Florida
Congrats on your product! I am no expert by any means.

Decided to reply to your post as my nephews were so hyped about finally get a few bottles of prime last week. I vaguely heard that it was sugar free, but wasn't surprised to see sugar alternatives and thought why isn't there a CLEAN energy drink without fillers and hidden sugars.

anyhows, best of luck with the launch!

Ever consider doing a hype/countdown video? Or an exclusive offer for those who are first to purchase?

I am curious to see what your ingredients are.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. We definitely will be doing a lot of promotional stuff leading up to the actual launch date for the drink. Our drink is lemon, lime, Celtic sea salt, raw honey, water. Honestly what you mentioned with PRIME is one of the main reasons for starting is the fact that so many drinks claim to be healthy and will be sneaking in sugar alternatives or other fillers that are likely even worse than the original drink loaded with sugar.

TimBouchard

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 24, 2022
Florida
Congrats! You've made a lot of progress and it seems like the universe is definitely lining things up to make this a success.

The beverage category can be a hard one to break into and get shelf space but I know there are a few people here on FLF that are active in the category. Unfortunately I am not one of them so I don't have a lot of advice to offer.

However, if you haven't yet read the book Launch by Jeff Walker, I highly recommend it. I've use some of these techniques in the past and depending on your strategy, it may be worth delaying your own launch to do the same. There's a lot to be said for having a strong launch and creating that initial market demand particularly in competitive markets.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. A lot of what I have read has made similar points regarding a strong launch, being the most important part of the business, which is why I am looking for advice on this aspect because everything thing else this far I have been able to figure out on my own or with the help of the people I have been working within the industry so far. However, they do not seem to have any helpful advice on getting the brand off the ground strong.

I have not read that book yet just started looking it up. Is the 2014 release fine or is the updated version worth getting? Appreciate the insight.

TimBouchard

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 24, 2022
Florida
Congrats on the launch.

Website should be ready by now in my opinion, it's your prime marketing material to get awareness on the competitive market. When I hear about a new product, the next thing I ll do is go and search online for their detail first, like its site, social media, any press release..etc. So, if you have well demand product that you trust, go ahead with it. Create a landing page with good images and content, optimize it for SEO, share it with your network, and get awareness.

Social media on other hand is the best way to create your awareness, use shorts, and reels for quick reach. Also, don't forget about making a Google My Business page, to get reviews from your buyers.

It's all about marketing nowadays, so do start yours right away.

All the best :)
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have read that announcing the website and all that too far out can stunt the number of people that will end up sticking around until the time of the product actually being available to purchase. It seems that waiting until around 4-6 weeks before the product is actually available seems to be the best timeline to create more of a demand for a limited supply or is this just overthinking it? Also feel like we should have a more substantial following before we make a big announcement such as a website launch, product launch, etc. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Thank you for taking the time to reply. A lot of what I have read has made similar points regarding a strong launch, being the most important part of the business, which is why I am looking for advice on this aspect because everything thing else this far I have been able to figure out on my own or with the help of the people I have been working within the industry so far. However, they do not seem to have any helpful advice on getting the brand off the ground strong.

I have not read that book yet just started looking it up. Is the 2014 release fine or is the updated version worth getting? Appreciate the insight.
The new release may be more relevant(?) but I haven't read it. I used the 2014 version to launch back in 2017. No regrets. I sure that smart people could understand some of the fundamentals from the 2014 version and apply it in a modern environment. Go with what you've got.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...