The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inspired to become an entrepreneur

del101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 8, 2018
Hawaii
Hi everyone. I am so grateful to have found this forum. The posts are immensely educational and stimulating that I could not help but wonder why I did not cross paths with the message boards sooner.

At 41yrs old, there is definitely 'zilch' time in my life to focus on slowlane objectives. At this age in my life, I am disappointed at myself for not following my father's footstep.

Upon graduating from college, dad was hired to manage a local printshop. Eventually he quit to start his own business which thrived and did well enough to support his entire family: wife and kids, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and parents. It was a family business. 25 years of fun and freedom. I never paid attention to the process because I made sure to avoid confrontations and stressful situations. That was my biggest regret. An older sibling took over the reigns and dad was able to take some time off. After a few years of poor planning and decision-making, we closed the door to the business and saw dad slowly go into depression and our family breaking away. It was an emotional time for everyone.

I realize now that things could have been done differently. My family no longer talks about the printshop. I miss that. My siblings and I have moved on to work for everyone but ourselves. I truly miss being free of someone else's talons. TMF brought that feeling back into focus for me. As for dad, he found solace in golf and hanging out with his golfing buddies. He has also taken up gardening, something I probably never would've thought he'd attempt. He has inspired me to follow in his foot-steps to become a business-owner myself.

I am currently reading TMF at the moment. And, I am also glued to Unscripted .

This will be an endeavor I will not regret.

I look forward to learning from everyone.

THANKYOU @MJ DeMarco for being the spark I needed to proceed. My perception in life has changed, tremendously. I cannot fathom enough words to explain the amount of influence you have on my life. Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and thanks for the intro. Such a shame that the business could not continue.

Not sure if there is any data behind this, but my guess is that nepotism in business doesn't work from generation to generation. One person used sweat and tears to build the business whereas the progenitor did not. Instead it was handed off on a silver platter, the old "process/event" dichotomy.

He has inspired me to follow in his foot-steps to become a business-owner myself.

So where's it all gonna start?

del101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 8, 2018
Hawaii
So where's it all gonna start?

First off, thank you for responding.

I feel like my thinking is everywhere. I started recording some business ideas in August of last year and made it a goal to have a business plan ready by December. My daily routine was listening to entrepreneur podcasts to and from work to gain ideas on business. I was disappointed as the year was ending and I had nothing to show for. It just so happened at the last week of the year I came across a podcast where a young entrepreneur was asked about his choice of reading. I can't really remember in details what he said about TMF . The only thing that struck me was the flow of happiness that radiated from this young man of how this book happened to transform him. It was influential enough for me to hit Amazon, read the reviews of TMF , and immediately purchase the book that evening. I was elated to find out about the forums soon after.

And so here I am.

I made it a goal of keeping a daily record of problems i see around me that keep recurring and I believe can be addressed and solved. I realized that the list of few inventions/ideas I had 6 months ago have not been addressed at all. I have not done any research on anything on the list. Oddily enough, I happen to reach CHAPTER 28: HIT THE REDLINE" of TMF this morning after adding 2 more ideas to my list. Yup, if that wasn't a hint for me to stop the BS and just start, I'd be wasting more time.

I'm committed.

I'd like to start with selling online for now. I'm reading posts left and right about starting now. That's a kick for me. I expect by Saturday I should have an idea/product I will start off with. I'm afraid to choose the wrong products, but I'm more afraid of not starting somewhere.

Also, I'm not sure if I need a local business license for an online business. I live in Hawaii. I'll be researching this week.

Here we go!

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Dec 3, 2015
I made it a goal of keeping a daily record of problems i see around me that keep recurring and I believe can be addressed and solved.

Solid.

In addition to the potential nepotism issue MJ highlighted, print shops got squeezed pretty hard the last 20 years. There used to be a kinkos on every other corner. Many of those closed, the ones that remain are more like a mailboxes, etc type of model. There's still a demand for printshops, but it has diminished a lot as media has gone more digital.

Anyway, welcome! I look forward to reading your ideas and subsequent actions to make it happen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

del101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 8, 2018
Hawaii
Solid.

In addition to the potential nepotism issue MJ highlighted, print shops got squeezed pretty hard the last 20 years. There used to be a kinkos on every other corner. Many of those closed, the ones that remain are more like a mailboxes, etc type of model. There's still a demand for printshops, but it has diminished a lot as media has gone more digital.

Anyway, welcome! I look forward to reading your ideas and subsequent actions to make it happen.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have a lot to learn from everyone and hopefully I will be able to provide value in return.

Regards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...